Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 10:59   #856
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Happy last day of 2022 to all.

Is the cigarette lighter always on in Virtus even without ignition ? Does it mean if i install a dashcamera there it will work as a hard wired unit ? How much drop in battery life can I expect due to camera always attached to cigarette lighter port ?
The Cigarette lighter port seems to be always on in my Slavia, I believe this is the norm for VAG cars, and I find it a bad idea and a terrible inconvenience. Fortunately I tested the rear USB-C ports are fortunately wired to ignition, so I'm running a cable from the rear for the Dashcam with a right angle OTG adapater plug so that someone does not inadvertently stamp on it (I believe in Murphy's law) . I do not want to take a chance with the possibility of a drained battery.

The alterative would be to rewire the cig lighter port from the fusebox to a free ignition controlled fuse, but I didn't want to mess with this for now.
Old 5th January 2023, 13:38   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
The Cigarette lighter port seems to be always on in my Slavia, I believe this is the norm for VAG cars, and I find it a bad idea and a terrible inconvenience. Fortunately I tested the rear USB-C ports are fortunately wired to ignition, so I'm running a cable from the rear for the Dashcam with a right angle OTG adapater plug so that someone does not inadvertently stamp on it (I believe in Murphy's law) . I do not want to take a chance with the possibility of a drained battery.

The alterative would be to rewire the cig lighter port from the fusebox to a free ignition controlled fuse, but I didn't want to mess with this for now.
In my case, i switch off and on the dashcam every time I leave the car. Cumbersome but is working at the moment. Polo did not have an active lighter port all the time
Old 5th January 2023, 14:17   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
The Cigarette lighter port seems to be always on in my Slavia

Ford too has similar behaviour. Always on. My car only has one port hence I hard wired it to a fuse. Much cleaner solution and works with ignition.

But I wonder if the frequent start stop would reduce dashcam life. Some youtubers suggest to keep it on always since it is a low power device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
In my case, i switch off and on the dashcam every time I leave the car.
Previously I used do like how you are doing now. But I used to forget to turn on/off the dashcam 30% of the time. Also, sometimes my charger used to come off while going over broken roads.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 09:16   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
"VW" branded tyre valve caps are a nice touch:
They stopped giving those now? My DSG have normal black valve caps. Maybe some of you who took the delivery in December confirm this.
Old 7th January 2023, 19:41   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Air won't come out of the seats. Air gets sucked in and exits out of the seat bottom. It should also be audible due to the fan noise.
Are you sure about this, as i remember when i still had the plastic covers on, they would inflate slightly rather than being sucked in. The sound is quite audible, but i guess the fab RPM keeps varying which i suspect is the problem. Also they switch off when the engine is off( auto start stop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
They stopped giving those now? My DSG have normal black valve caps. Maybe some of you who took the delivery in December confirm this.
Even mine has plastic valve caps, i guess they're a part of accessories.

Last edited by kaushiksudra : 7th January 2023 at 19:46.
kaushiksudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 17:06   #861

After Market Air Filter Replacement for Virtus GT

After-Market Air Filter Replacement for Virtus GT

I bought a VW Virtus GT last week and have been asking around to see if anybody else has purchased a Virtus GT and changed the air filter before the 1000 km service mark. Two of those I spoke with stated their cars were refused for the 1000 km service owing to an air filter change. Is this a scare tactic used by dealerships to force consumers to use OEM Paper Air Filters, or is this a true problem?

Despite the fact that a manufacturer cannot refuse complementary or mandatory free services because of aftermarket modifications when I asked the salesperson, he said, "VW is strictly a safety-first company, and any malfunctions caused by aftermarket parts will be taken care of by the customer's pocket and we do not entertain such modifications"

External "protective" modifications like as PPF, Door Protectors, and so forth were approved by the dealer. For some reason, they were wary of addressing inquiries concerning unlocking secret features or tiny engine adjustments that don't change anything mechanically, such as Air Filters.

Article for Reference
https://sunindustries.com/do-afterma...r%20brand%20be

Please help me out!
Old 10th January 2023, 15:56   #862
BHPian

Re: After Market Air Filter Replacement for Virtus GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrainnit View Post

I bought a VW Virtus GT last week and have been asking around to see if anybody else has purchased a Virtus GT and changed the air filter before the 1000 km service mark. Two of those I spoke with stated their cars were refused for the 1000 km service owing to an air filter change. Is this a scare tactic used by dealerships to force consumers to use OEM Paper Air Filters, or is this a true problem?

Despite the fact that a manufacturer cannot refuse complementary or mandatory free services because of aftermarket modifications when I asked the salesperson, he said, "VW is strictly a safety-first company, and any malfunctions caused by aftermarket parts will be taken care of by the customer's pocket and we do not entertain such modifications"

External "protective" modifications like as PPF, Door Protectors, and so forth were approved by the dealer. For some reason, they were wary of addressing inquiries concerning unlocking secret features or tiny engine adjustments that don't change anything mechanically, such as Air Filters.

Article for Reference
https://sunindustries.com/do-afterma...r%20brand%20be

Please help me out!
Better to keep your car stock as per OEM till warranty/extended warranty goes on. This applies to all manufacturers across brands.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:22   #863
Senior - BHPian

Re: After Market Air Filter Replacement for Virtus GT

Quote:

I bought a VW Virtus GT last week.
Please help me out!
You got yourself a GT which has the notorious DQ200 DSG gearbox. The last thing you want to do is to get your warranty voided by any external modifications, especially for parts related to the engine.

I'd suggest you to keep things stock. Any specific reason why you want to go with aftermarket air filters?
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:04   #864

Thank you for you valuable input!

I'm considering Aftermarket Air Filter because the midrange feels rather laggy and the DQ200 Transmission doesn't make it any better either. There's like a delayed throttle response curve and I felt that letting her breathe a bit more would make it better.

But yes, I'll stay with the stock air filter till the I run out of the manufacturer's warranty period.

Thank you
Old 11th January 2023, 17:27   #865
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

I'm considering Aftermarket Air Filter because the midrange feels rather laggy and the DQ200 Transmission doesn't make it any better either. There's like a delayed throttle response curve and I felt that letting her breathe a bit more would make it better.

But yes, I'll stay with the stock air filter till the I run out of the manufacturer's warranty period.

Thank you
IMHO, if air filter change is suddenly making the car 'breath' better, then the air intake system designed by factory engineers is flawed. That doesn't happen, actually.

For commuter cars which we buy, which produce far less than 500bhp and don't run at 5000+ rpm beyond a few seconds at a time, there is practically zero difference made by aftermarket air filters (which actually 'filter' less, inorder to allow more suction by the engine/turbo). If anyone says otherwise, it's probably placebo. Air & fuel delivery to engine - fundamentals of the engine integration team - a car company cannot survive if they get it wrong. Full throttle at 5000+ rpm and trying to make something like 500bhp - a typical track application for a sports/rally car - that is when even tiny changes like air filter difference, will mean a tangible change to the engine.

Sorry if this sounds like bursting a bubble, but it's true. The aftermarket air filter industry is banking heavily on placebo.

Last edited by venkyhere : 11th January 2023 at 17:29.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 17:33   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
A panel replacement filter would not do anything drastic in terms of improving performance. Their biggest advantage is that they don't have to be replaced.

Now if you really want to change things up then a cold air intake would be good but it's a PITA to maintain.

Your best bet would be a remap post warranty.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 02:01   #867
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
8 years then. The max you may get from manufacturer assuming VW also launches the 8th year as Skoda did.
Old 13th January 2023, 08:25   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR29 View Post
I've swapped the GoodYears with Michelin PS4's and you could easily notice the difference as the car is quite high from the ground with a clearance of 179mm it does not feel as confident as it should around the corners, But These PS4's stick to the ground no matter what.
Hi SR29, congratulations on your new car, my Red GT has just reached the dealership and I too am planning to change the tyres, can you please advise the tyre size you used and the cost for the Michelin PS4s.
Old 13th January 2023, 13:24   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
If anyone says otherwise, it's probably placebo.
I wouldn't agree that it's 100% palcebo, it does some minor but noticeable changes. In my Fortuner when I replaced the stock to K&N I could gear the turbo a lot better and slight increase in mileage and almost no difference in Power. When the same was done on my Civic, the highway mileage was bettered and no other difference.

Tempted to get one on the GT, but I guess I'll have to wait it out..
Old 13th January 2023, 13:44   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
Tempted to get one on the GT, but I guess I'll have to wait it out..
Quote:

Thank you
You can always manage by removing the filter before taking it for service and putting back the stock filter. I am planning to do this and just thinking of experimenting with the air filter. Even otherwise my Skoda SA is now a friend and I have stuff like a hardwired dashcam and VCDS mods and he didnt raise an eyebrow to all that. Only when there is a major issue would the warranty team spot such issues. By then these things can be removed and reverted to stock setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks