Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 17:38   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Is the difference between GT Plus and the GT Plus Edge is only the Black color and some other cosmetic inclusions or anything else? ��
Old 31st August 2023, 08:15   #1412
BHPian

Have any of you noticed the TC gearbox to hold on to D2 in bumper to bumper or stop and go traffic, specially if the road has slight uphill inclination? I have noticed this a few times and mostly around the same stretch of road. I have even tried by engaging "N" and then moving it to "D" again. But, it directly moved to D2 instead of D1. Not sure if this is by design or I should get it checked at the service center.
Old 31st August 2023, 10:01   #1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
Have any of you noticed the TC gearbox to hold on to D2 in bumper to bumper or stop and go traffic, specially if the road has slight uphill inclination? I have noticed this a few times and mostly around the same stretch of road. I have even tried by engaging "N" and then moving it to "D" again. But, it directly moved to D2 instead of D1. Not sure if this is by design or I should get it checked at the service center.
My GT Plus also stays in D2 for most of the time. However, I see D1 more frequently after the 1k service/checkup.

On a different subject - Whenever I keep the car on handbrake in traffic for a slightly longer duration, there is a resistance from the gear selector to slot from N to D. I have to press the switch, move it forward to R and then bring back to D. Has anyone else faced a similar issue?
Roads&Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 10:17   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads&Wheels View Post
My GT Plus also stays in D2 for most of the time. However, I see D1 more frequently after the 1k service/checkup.
Thanks for letting me know this. I will further observe it.

Quote:
On a different subject - Whenever I keep the car on handbrake in traffic for a slightly longer duration, there is a resistance from the gear selector to slot from N to D. I have to press the switch, move it forward to R and then bring back to D. Has anyone else faced a similar issue?
I normally press the switch during all the shifts, what is the recommended practice?
Old 31st August 2023, 10:46   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even the DSG does that, but its fine for a TC and is done to prevent jerky behaviour in crawling speeds and any sudden acceleration if it were in first gear. For a TC gearbox, there is no slipping of clutch and the slip happens in the torque converter which is anyway liquid coupling. Hence as long as the gearbox sticking to D2 doesnt create any unpleasant behaviour or poor performance, dont worry about it.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 10:57   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Yes my Virtus 1.0 L Topline AT does that too. I observed it and used paddle shifters to bring it down for 1-2 days but then I realised it’s a normal behaviour of car and I believe it is to allow a smooth creep than have an explosive creep of D1 in bumper to bumper traffic
Old 1st September 2023, 15:07   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post

On a regular city drive, I suddenly got a message in infotainment saying rear right tire pressure was low. Since I was on my way to a relatives house, I couldn't stop immediately and get the tire checked. What I could do instead was to pull over once it was safe, used the inflator I always keep in the car and check the pressure. It was at 27 PSI. Pumped it up to 35 PSI and went on my way.
Hi! I’ve had my GT for close to 7 months now and I’m a little curious about how exactly the TPMS warning works in this car. I’ve only ever had a ‘Low Pressure’ warning once come up on the display, and on inspection it turned out to be just that and no puncture. This happened long back and I don’t recall if it pointed to a specific tyre for the fault. And since I haven’t had a warning ever since, I’m unfamiliar with what to expect in case of an event in the future.

Your explanation would be much appreciated
Old 1st September 2023, 15:39   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi! I’ve had my GT for close to 7 months now and I’m a little curious about how exactly the TPMS warning works in this car. I’ve only ever had a ‘Low Pressure’ warning once come up on the display, and on inspection it turned out to be just that and no puncture. This happened long back and I don’t recall if it pointed to a specific tyre for the fault. And since I haven’t had a warning ever since, I’m unfamiliar with what to expect in case of an event in the future.

Your explanation would be much appreciated
I am not sure of the exact approach but the ECU measures the wheel rotation as reported by the ABS sensors and calculates the total circumference of the tyre. When one tire's pressure decreases, this wheel rotation speed changes and so does calculated tire circumference. ECU compares the data from all the 4 tires and then throws up an alert when 1 ABS sensor shows very different values compared to the remaining wheels.

This is also why we need to set up tpms in the infotainment system each time we fill up air so that the initial calibration is done correctly.

For example, if one tire has less air while others are inflated correctly and we set the tpms at that time, the ECU will not report the lower tire pressure till it decreases to a much lower PSI.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:34   #1419
BHPian

Hi,
Has anyone changed the red applique on the GT Plus wild cherry red colour version? Because of my harrowing experience with the Skoda dealers for buying the Slavia Lava Blue edition car, I plan to shift to VW and book the wild cherry red GT Plus. But I am not being able to come to terms with the jarring red accents on its dash.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2023, 16:11   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Is the difference between GT Plus and the GT Plus Edge is only the Black color and some other cosmetic inclusions or anything else? ��
There is hardly any difference except the color.
jaysonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 17:23   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wohroy View Post
Hi,
Has anyone changed the red applique on the GT Plus wild cherry red colour version? Because of my harrowing experience with the Skoda dealers for buying the Slavia Lava Blue edition car, I plan to shift to VW and book the wild cherry red GT Plus. But I am not being able to come to terms with the jarring red accents on its dash.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
One easy and pocket friendly solution would be to get it wrapped. Any good brand like Vivid will have great finish.
sid18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:37   #1422

Quote:
I got a cherry red GT (non-Plus) a month back. I am facing the same issue, and have reported it to the ASC during the 1000-km checkup. They don't have any solution yet and I have let it be for now. Given that I observed it in only 1 out of 50 times while trying to shift to D/S. But it helps to know that others are also facing this issue too. It is possibly something to do with the mechatronics unit, but not entirely sure.

Other than that, the experience has been nothing short of being awesome! 1.5 TSI + DSG is super smooth and feels highly responsive especially on highway runs. I have completed 2000 kms till now, and hope to do many more miles on this superb machine. I didn't feel the need for the good-to-have features and given my budget and Karnataka's high road taxes, I decided to go ahead with the GT instead of the GT-Plus. The GT bits really make the car stand out though, and I have added some cosmetic upgrades to make it looks nicer (black-wrapped roof & mirrors, black-painted alloys to go with the red factory-fitted calipers). 2 airbags is something I wished they hadn't done however. Other than that, it definitely fulfills all my requirements of a highway driver's car.
mkk_carformula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:10   #1423
BHPian

My Virtus GT completes 1 year

It has been a wonderful year owning the Virtus GT which has now clocked 14277KMs. I got the annual service done today so thought I will share my experience about the car along with the service experience to our fellow enthusiasts.

When I picked up the GT last year, I was skeptical about the car in general based on the quality degradation talk of VAG 2.0 by many influencers on YouTube. After driving it for 1 year and close to 14.5k KMs I can say no other car available in the segment comes close to the VW sedans if you value performance, safety and comfort.

I would like to share some observations about the car in this 1 year.

Pros
• Driving – This has to be the first advantage of buying any VAG product, the performance is brilliant, the 1.5 TSI is a gem. I cannot find any petrol engine under 20L to be as explosive as the 1.5TSI, the Hyundai group now has given a more powerful 1.5 but TBH the platform does not complement that engine. I never felt myself connecting to the Verna Turbo I test drove; it is not engaging like the VW twins.
• Safety – I never had second thought about safety before finalizing my decision on the Virtus. It is a VW so it is a given that it would score good on safety. Was very happy when the GNCAP ratings were out and the MQB-IN platform scored full 5 stars with the more stringent norms. Kudos to the group for not diluting fundamentals for the sake of gimmicks.
• Comfort – Moving from a Polo, rear seat comfort was one of the primary observations made by my family members during the test drives. It has the right balance of ride and handling; high speed manners are superb. The ground clearance may seem high for a sedan but it has not lowered down the handling of the car.
• Features – Yes, many might be surprised but VW has given enough usable features in the car. I never expected them to fill the car with features to the extent Hyundai/Kia do but then they don’t compromise on safety which is important. The best feature in the car is the seamless connection to the phones with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, you switch on the car and that’s it everything is ready. Infotainment is one of the best I have used, very responsive and easy to use.
• Fuel Efficiency – I have been getting a good 10-11 in heavy Pune traffic and a surprisingly 18-22 mileage on most of the highway drives. Fuel has always been XP95 till date. The 2-cyclinder mode gets on even for speeds more than 100 which is great in helping achieve more juice from the engine.

Cons
• Camera – The quality of the reverse camera is below average; it does not seem to belong to a car costing more than 20L. The screen is not fully used when engaging the reverse gear which worsens the experience.
• Boot – The cover kept above the spare wheel in the boot is very flimsy similar to what I see in Japanese/Korean cars, this was better quality in earlier VWs including my Polo. Some area in the boot is not covered again unlike VW.
• Headlights – Low beams are good which serves most of the use-case but the high beam seems ineffective on expressways.
• Confused DSG – In traffic or low speed situations, the otherwise lighting quick DSG takes a hit and gets confused, sometimes revvs too high before changing gears upwards which leads to jerks. I have got into a habit now of switching to manual mode in traffic which has helped.
• Fit and Finish – The leather seats are very good and supportive but if you start seeing things a bit deeper which most of the BHPians do, you will find the finish similar to when you get a bucket seat cover fixed aftermarket. One more small thing, the vanity mirrors both driver and co-passenger side has the screws uncovered and visible, it was nicely covered in the Polo.

Apart from the above observations, I have not faced any issues with the AC from day 1. It takes a minute or two more than Korean or Japanese but does the job. The car has no rattles as of date.

Now coming to the annual service, I had the service pack for 4 years so no payment done for the service but paid 1308 INR as I got bonnet insulation done. Overall, the experience has been very good with the car and surely recommend to anyone looking for a mechanically connected car rather than remotely.

Some pictures of our favourite performance machine in the house .
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_3994.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-71228842966__43bf6ecbb26847c9bca4a9d94e96b48c.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_bdc328e1f7271.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_3997.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_2464.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_2179.jpg  

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 3rd September 2023 at 00:16.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:49   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
[b] I had the service pack for 4 years so no payment done for the service but paid 1308 INR as I got bonnet insulation done.
Did you get this bonnet insulation done in Pune? If so, where in Pune?

I had asked the ASC guys at Shivajinagar to do that back in May and they told me that it needs to be ordered as a damaged part for some other car as it doesnt come as a standard spare.
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:55   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
Did you get this bonnet insulation done in Pune? If so, where in Pune?
Yes, VW Service Centre in Hadapsar. I asked them to place the order for the part 10 days before the appointment was scheduled.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks