Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2023, 12:31   #1261
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Facing this mild sound from rear left of my Virtus GT on gravel and uneven roads.
Came for 2nd service to VW but they are not able to figure out. Said they will have to replace the suspension with one from the test cars and will retest.

Anyone with similar issue? It's very mild but noticable sound like some loose thing hitting or moving around.
Old 3rd July 2023, 14:28   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Facing this mild sound from rear left of my Virtus GT on gravel and uneven roads.
Came for 2nd service to VW but they are not able to figure out. Said they will have to replace the suspension with one from the test cars and will retest.

Anyone with similar issue? It's very mild but noticable sound like some loose thing hitting or moving around.
I too face this low volume knocking / moving about sound on certain bad patches, although I have not been able to isolate it to the left / right. If you do find out what this is, please share!
Old 9th July 2023, 01:16   #1263
BHPian

Virtus GT Updates - Part 10

Delivery Date: 27th September 2022
ODO: ~10K KM

Hello everyone, been a while since I sent out an update on my Virtus, have been facing a few issues, some below will be covered with pictures, and most won't.

The steering clock spring, which has been making a noise when going full clock, makes a clicking noise, despite the fix it still does. Visited the service center for a fix, and they opened it up and decided that before a warranty claim, they would try to “lubricate” it. Unfortunately, this is when I went to get a bite and did not see this take place. The steering was already back where it belonged when I got back. The picture below of when it was removed.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_111848.jpg

The driver's side window motor; is just embarrassing, it takes way too long to open compared to the other motors on the car, same story with VW, let us lubricate it for now, and should it persist, leave the car with us for most of the day so we can get a claim done. Well OK, post lubrication it is better, but not near to how fast the other windows work.

Exhaust; this has come off its hanger 3 times now, this is a mix of my fault and design. My car has cobra springs, it is lower. I hit a speedbreaker a bit too quickly and the exhaust came off its hanger. Fine. Fixed it. However, it is not just me who has had this issue, this has happened to many more, there is a design flaw near the CAT, and they are working to fix this, I had a few shims added and will be more careful next time.

That was all at the ASS, will visit them soon for the 15k service and will post an update.

But, the engine bay was DIRTY, as you can see below

Visited a detailer in Noida, not too far from the ASS, Detailing MAFIA, and notice the Porsche was in bad shape (bought used, and then has been through some cheap fixes, which makes me sad)

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_125643.jpg

Before

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_125256.jpg

After

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_150514.jpg

That's all for now!

More to come, the exhaust plan is now complete. Soon a video will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_125121.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230702_125140.jpg  

vividhavasthi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 08:53   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
I too face this low volume knocking / moving about sound on certain bad patches, although I have not been able to isolate it to the left / right. If you do find out what this is, please share!
Same here, usually in rough paved roads and sometimes even in smooth tarmac. Not able to pin point the location. Also a weird thing is when i brake on rough patches hear a Creaking noise which disappears as soon i release it. And the infamous door Creaking noise, did try lubing it with silicon spray, but it's still persistent. Will visit the ASC soon for 15K service hope they get all the minor niggles addressed.
Old 9th July 2023, 19:48   #1265
BHPian

Took the TD of a 2023 brand new Virtus GT.

What I liked:
- Everything about how the car drives - ride quality, punch and handling.
- External appeal. Yes, external only.

What I'm disappointed with:
- Practically everything else. In particular 1. The cabin felt cheap and to me is totally unacceptable for a 23 lakh car. 2. AC performance was inadequate too. 3.Fit and finish and other tit bits here and there were unsatisfactory.

Prior to the TD the only car I had shortlisted was a Virtus GT. Not even the 1.0 litre variant. Now I hate to say that I may have to look for other options.
Old 10th July 2023, 08:48   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe splash out and get red-covered cables for a red car
Well if you are a OnePlus user, you will have the Red Cable. I thing the OP8 & OP9 came with Type C to Type C and then they reverted back to Type A to Type C.

Quote:
I'm quite impressed to see this up-to-date detail!
Fully agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
DQ200 DSG transmission has a history of poor reliability & breakdowns in India
Is this still an issue?

Quote:
Lovely 1.5L TSI is only available on the top variant. Should have been there in the mid-trim too
Heck, I'd say they should come with a Base Variant Manual with this engine. Ideal for enthusiasts who can then customise the car.

Quote:
Missing some features such as a subwoofer,
Won't the Slavia's subwoofer be a direct fit?

Quote:
Slavia's 'clever' touches are missing = no spot on top of the dashboard to place a deity, no smartphone holders on the front seatbacks, no ticket clip on the windshield, no elastic band in the doorpad to keep items in place, or even something as simple as the small reflective tapes on the doors
Can't these be retrofitted? DIY thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
No regular USB charging slots here though
A welcome move, I'd say

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Slap on some Bilstein shocks, remap the ECU and delete the chrome - you’ve got the perfect sleeper here. Would pick this over the Slavia any day!
Except the remap (1.5), everything is doable. So far tuners have only managed to unlock the 1.0 ECU. No luck for 1.5 owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Polo and Fabia.
Sadly both a not available in India. If only VW/Skoda would make hatch versions of the Virus/Slavia as cheaper alternatives to the global Polo/Fabia. They could use parts from the Taigun/Kushaq. Something the the Gol in Brasil.
Old 10th July 2023, 13:41   #1267
BHPian

Dear Bhpians

First post after spending (investing) more than a decade browsing on this forum.

One of my cousins and I are in the market for a new car (sedan, <20 lacs) with the following expectations (in the order below):
1. Safety (atleast 4+ stars)
2. Decent after sales support (we live in Delhi NCR and drive around North India (mainly Himachal)+ Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, and West UP
3. A little bit engaging/ fun to drive
4. Keep the car for around 10 years (with as much EW as possible)
5. Be our primary car

While City and New Verna fare very well on ASS, I felt they do not match up to Virtus in safety and driving dynamics. My cousin, my wife, and I all fell in love with Virtus within two seconds of being in the driver's seat. Were not able to relive that feeling with City or Verna.

However, my cousin went through Facebook group of Virtus as well and found some issues as listed below:

1. Disc brake issue (brake pad noise + rusting)
2. Alignment issue
3. Shudder in steering wheel upon braking
4. Drop in mileage post AC updates
5. Below par ASS

Since I highly value the advice of users in this group any day over feedback gathered from other social platforms, I would like to understand from the people in the know about the issues listed above as well as the following:

1. Are the issues with Virtus getting resolved or do we learn to live with them
2. Are there some issues which can be ignored (as a bargain for safety, etc.) or there still exists some that would make SC our cars' second home
3. How is the quality of VW SCs in North India (Delhi to be specific)

Would love to hear from some of you soon before we finally take the plunge. If not Virtus or her sister, we might end up waiting for the new Nexon (hopefully with DCA) given its focus on safety.

I would also like to talk with some of you to discuss this in detail (although can't e-mail or PM you directly, being a newbie).
Old 10th July 2023, 20:40   #1268
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Took the TD of a 2023 brand new Virtus GT.

What I liked:
- Everything about how the car drives - ride quality, punch and handling.
- External appeal. Yes, external only.

What I'm disappointed with:
- Practically everything else. In particular 1. The cabin felt cheap and to me is totally unacceptable for a 23 lakh car. 2. AC performance was inadequate too. 3.Fit and finish and other tit bits here and there were unsatisfactory.

Prior to the TD the only car I had shortlisted was a Virtus GT. Not even the 1.0 litre variant. Now I hate to say that I may have to look for other options.
You just summed up my observations as well. The car drives so well and the added GC is a blessing in our potholed roads.. The only way the Virtus interiors look better is to sit in the Slavia. The dual tone there feels even more plasticky and hard.

Unfortunately, there are not many other options in the 15-40 lacs sedan space.
Old 10th July 2023, 20:46   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer... View Post
1. Disc brake issue (brake pad noise + rusting)
2. Alignment issue
3. Shudder in steering wheel upon braking
4. Drop in mileage post AC updates
5. Below par ASS
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 13000 km run Virtus GT and love every bit of it. I want to start from point 5 "Below par ASS". That is a deal breaker as a below-par ASS will make for a horrible lifetime experience with the car. So, check with other VW owners in your town. Buy only if the ASS is good.

Issues that I have faced in my ownership so far:
1) Steering alignment issue. Had to visit the alignment center multiple times to get it centered.
2) AC. I know talking about the AC in this thread is starting to sound like a broken tape recorder. But the issue is real. Whenever the AC clutch is engaged the car jerks a bit especially at low city speeds. Frankly, quite irritating especially in city traffic. But it cools the cabin effectively though.

But other than the above issues the experience so far is amazing. The gut punch the car gives when accelerating hard is second to none for a person migrating from an i20(like me). If your ASS provides great service then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the VW Virtus GT.

1) Disc brakes are wear and tear components. And there are many factors that influence the life of a disc. My disc brakes squeak a bit at the end of a long drive or a hill drive. But that is expected and nothing to worry about.

2) Alignment issues can be easily sorted with a visit to an alignment shop. Not a deal breaker.

3) I have not experienced any shudder so far even under hard braking.

4) The max mileage I've extracted from the car is 23kmpl on a cafe coffee day run(55 km from home). The lowest is in city traffic around 9kmpl. Expect a mileage of anywhere from 9-12kmpl in city traffic and 15-17kmpl in the highways. Yes, there are reports of mileage drops after the AC update but I'm yet to experience them in my car(AC update done).

Quote:

1. Are the issues with Virtus getting resolved or do we learn to live with them
2. Are there some issues which can be ignored (as a bargain for safety, etc.) or there still exists some that would make SC our cars' second home
3. How is the quality of VW SCs in North India (Delhi to be specific)
Never learn to live with issues in a brand-new car that you pay for with your hard-earned money. That's why a good ASS is important. As far as the quality of the service is concerned try asking existing VW owners in your locality.

Quote:
While City and New Verna fare very well on ASS, I felt they do not match up to Virtus in safety and driving dynamics. My cousin, my wife, and I all fell in love with Virtus within two seconds of being in the driver's seat. Were not able to relive that feeling with City or Verna.
Strongly agree with this. I'm searching for a second car to buy and TD'ed Honda City, New Verna, and Creta. Right after each test drive as soon as I sit in my Virtus GT I get that instant feeling of a robustly built car. The only other car that came close is the XUV700. Booked it without a second thought.

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 21:46   #1270
BHPian

"Never learn to live with issues in a brand-new car that you pay for with your hard-earned money. That's why a good ASS is important. As far as the quality of the service is concerned try asking existing VW owners in your locality."

Thanks a lot true_sedan. Your feedback pulled me one step closer to Virtus 1.0 AT.

Can some Delhiites share their experience with VW ASS and SCs in Delhi and also recommend the ones with whom they have had good experience?
Explorer... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 00:15   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot true_sedan. Your feedback pulled me one step closer to Virtus 1.0 AT.
If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would recommend you to go with 1.5L engine. It’s a completely different beast and pulls way better than the 1.0L engine. There is a new manual transmission option if DSG kept you away from considering the 1.5 till now. I highly urge you to test drive the 1.5L engine before coming to a conclusion.

Cheers
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 10:03   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would recommend you to go with 1.5L engine. It’s a completely different beast and pulls way better than the 1.0L engine. There is a new manual transmission option if DSG kept you away from considering the 1.5 till now. I highly urge you to test drive the 1.5L engine before coming to a conclusion.

Cheers
Thanks true-sedan, I thoroughly enjoyed 1.5 DSG TD but not going for 1.5 AT for the following constraints:

- Budget (BIG ONE!)
- Family history of motion sickness (enthusiastic driving [fast corners, etc.] may make it worse for the family)
- Hours long jams on North Delhi - Gurgaon route will be too much for DSG to handle
- Given my risk appetite, VW ASS is already a big enough challenge. Owning a DSG will only add to it (atleast psychologically). Still can't love Virtus anymore.

As you suggested, calling out Virtus owners in Delhi NCR to share their VW ASS experience. I would love to speak with you some of you personally.
Old 11th July 2023, 11:22   #1273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5. Be our primary car

Quote:
Thanks true-sedan, I thoroughly enjoyed 1.5 DSG TD but not going for 1.5 AT for the following constraints:

- Budget (BIG ONE!)
- Family history of motion sickness (enthusiastic driving [fast corners, etc.] may make it worse for the family)
- Hours long jams on North Delhi - Gurgaon route will be too much for DSG to handle
- Given my risk appetite, VW ASS is already a big enough challenge. Owning a DSG will only add to it (atleast psychologically). Still can't love Virtus anymore.
Support should not be much of a problem here in Delhi NCR. Even is the local VW service station is trash, there are plenty of good FNGs around who can handle everything from basic service to AC issues to even DSG breakdowns.

This is a clear mind vs heart dilemma. Once you drive a Virtus, nothing feels as good. But if you sit in any other seat, every other car is better. My take is that since bulk of your usage will be in negotiating Delhi Gurgaon, it is better to steer clear of the 1.5-DSG combo. Motion sickness shouldn’t be much of an issue in city traffic. But if it is, an airy cabin with larger glass area and lower set windows are always helpful - City is the best of the lot here.

You have three choices. Virtus 1.0 TC automatic, City CVT and Verna 1.5 iVT. All of them are good for a decade of usage and are damn fine cars. Can’t go wrong with any of them. Don’t bother with turbo petrols and DCTs if the car will see the highways only occasionally.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th July 2023 at 11:25.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:11   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Support should not be much of a problem here in Delhi NCR. Even is the local VW service station is trash, there are plenty of good FNGs around who can handle everything from basic service to AC issues to even DSG breakdowns.
Thanks Shreyans_Jain - The biggest concern holding me back from owning Virtus was VW's unpredictable service. Being in a metro, I guess there is a way around that. And, with its 5 star safety (City and Verna not rated) and driving experience, higher GC, Virtus is definitely building gap at no.1 position for me.
Old 11th July 2023, 14:32   #1275
BHPian

Quote:

In fact, this is one of the most important reason to consider the DSG!! I am an owner of Vento 1.5 TDI DSG, have been driving it for more than 7 years with nearly 1Lakh KM on odo. Every time I am in a traffic jam I feel so good about my decision to go with DSG 7 years back. Trust me!! So far no issues, yes on bad roads and crawling speeds there are jerks, but guess you wont experience it in Delhi!
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks