Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 14:53   #1276
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
In fact, this is one of the most important reason to consider the DSG!! I am an owner of Vento 1.5 TDI DSG, have been driving it for more than 7 years with nearly 1Lakh KM on odo. Every time I am in a traffic jam I feel so good about my decision to go with DSG 7 years back. Trust me!! So far no issues, yes on bad roads and crawling speeds there are jerks, but guess you wont experience it in Delhi!
Please correct me if I am wrong.
The 1.0 being a TC would be better in crawling speeds right? Especially to close out gaps quickly.
Though my experience is from Slavia, I felt 1.5 DSG has a lag from standstill. May be this was done to protect the clutches.
However when a small stretch of open road is available 1.5 DSG show its true nature.
anoopvk268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 16:50   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopvk268 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong.
The 1.0 being a TC would be better in crawling speeds right? Especially to close out gaps quickly.
Though my experience is from Slavia, I felt 1.5 DSG has a lag from standstill. May be this was done to protect the clutches.
However when a small stretch of open road is available 1.5 DSG show its true nature.
You are correct. A TC auto is better suited for traffic and crawling speeds. A double clutch gearbox would be slipping the clutch, causing excessive wear and heat.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 18:00   #1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
From your VIN number.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...cture-vin.html (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Check this article for more understanding. My 10th Character is P(which case O letter is not being used, not sure why. Experts please shed some light on the same)
I think O is not used to not confuse with the number 0
bibin.v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 11:09   #1279

Review of my Virtus GT Plus MT

Got the delivery of my first car on the 1st of July from Volkswagen Goa Mody Group. It’s the 2nd Virtus GT Plus manual delivered in Goa. I was the first to book one but a white GT MT was delivered the in the morning. The delivery experience was great. It was scheduled for the 3rd of July but since I had to drive to Bangalore on the 4th my SA managed to get the registration done just before they closed shop on Saturday.
I was eying the Virtus since its launch but the DSG was a dealbreaker for me. Not because I’m concerned about its reliability but only because I wanted my first car to be a manual. The DSG is a great gearbox but not as fun as the manual on mountain roads. I was set on getting the 1.0 TSI manual in 2024 but then they announced the 1.5 manual and I just couldn’t wait any longer.
The 1.0 TSI is great and compared to my parents’ Suzuki Swift is a significant upgrade in itself. The only thing I hated about it is the sound. It sounded like our old Wagon R and even the Swift sounds amazing compared to it.

Coming to the car itself here are some of my thoughts after 1300km of driving.
Pros:
  • Amazing engine! I cannot believe how powerful this feels compared to our old car. I usually do not like turbocharged engines, especially diesels, since they have a sudden uncontrollable burst of power but the 1.5 TSI is so linear in its power delivery that you do not miss much of that NA control. The way it builds speed without drama is astonishing. And it just keeps pulling beyond 120.
  • The handling. I had driven a Polo once on the Charmady and Shiradi ghats and fell in love with it ever since. The Virtus isn’t as nimble as the Polo but it still grips the road nicely. I do not agree with the complaints about the light steering wheel. The feedback is what matters, and it is awesome. I haven’t pushed it to the limit yet, but I was not able to get even a hint of understeer on the Anmod ghat. (Mostly thanks to the ESP cutting power and probably the XDS interfering) Definitely corners a lot faster than the Swift.
  • The gearbox is fun to use even with the long throws.
  • The engine sound. Blown away by how good the 4-cylinder sounds compared to the 1.0 TSI.
  • The colour looks stunning in person and pictures don’t do it justice.
  • The ground clearance is phenomenal. I have taken this car over some massive bumps in Bangalore’s inner roads and it has not touched a single one. Even the approach angle seems to be better than the Swift for which I have no explanation.
  • Keyless entry and start, auto headlamps, auto wipers all work so well and provide some next level convenience.
  • Hill hold is tuned really well and not intrusive at all. I had driven a T-Roc a few time whose hill hold system usually caused me to stall the car so I turned it off every time.
  • The infotainment system and the digital dashboard looks great. Very responsive and customizable.
  • The interior space. Everyone compliments it for the great legroom and the airy feeling.

Cons:
  • Long clutch travel and heavy clutch. I was ready for this in Bangalore’s traffic but it’s much worse than I thought it would be. The problem is exacerbated by the long first gear which means you can’t engage the clutch fully below ~10km/h. Plus the lack of torque below 1500rpm makes crawling at low speeds a bit tough. I’m still stalling the car on occasion but thanks to the start stop system it cranks up immediately after pressing in the clutch.
  • Small rear-view mirrors mean you need to keep turning your head a lot more than in other cars.
  • The ESP is too intrusive. I was not able to put the power down coming out of corners. Haven't tried turning off the traction control yet.
  • Hissing sound from AC on occasion.
  • Sometimes the driver side window refuses to close all the way on its own and I need to hold the button to close it.
  • I had to change my driving style to get above 10kmpl in the city. I even averaged 10.7kmpl on my drive from Goa to Bangalore but I really wasn’t being careful with my throttle inputs and speeds. The car had run just 300km at the start of the trip. Averaged a speed of 70km/h and completed the trip in 8 hours with a refuelling stop of 5 mins and a railway crossing hold of 10mins. I was fresh enough at the end of the trip to directly go to office.
  • The black alloys are really difficult to keep clean.
  • The headlights could’ve been a bit brighter.
  • The front edge of the steering (the one facing the driver) is a bit sharp and hard. One handed parking manoeuvres are painful.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and the issues listed are nothing I can't learn to live with. Fingers crossed for a hassle free ownership.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_9841.jpg
The day of the delivery. Things were hurried enough that the number plate wasn't ready, and I had to visit them on Monday to get it fixed. But thanks to them I did get to drive 300km in Goa with my family.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_3751.jpg
Most of the dirt was collected between Anmod ghat and Dharwad.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_3758.jpg
Driving data at the end of the road trip.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_3760.jpg
Car at the end of the road trip.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230704_184140346.jpg
Had it washed that evening.

Temporary dashcam before I upgrade it to a Viofo A129 Duo.
fancygamer is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 13:15   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygamer View Post

Congratulations and welcome to the Virtus Fam! The 1.5 manual will be an explosive car with superb dynamics and drivability. I, too, own a manual but in 1-liter disguise. (At the time of purchase last year, the 1.5 manual was something never seen on the horizon.) I'm in two minds whether to swap this out and get the 1.5. Although coming from a 1.5 iVTEC City to a Volkswagen 1-liter turbo, there is hardly any noticeable difference in power. I never felt that the engine was too puny. That's how brilliantly tuned the 1.0-liter is. And being a manual, it's even more phenomenal.

My only concern is the longevity of the 1-liter motor and the nagging thought that keeps comparing it in terms of engine size. I'm becoming really restless and itching to switch over. However, the sensible part of me kicks in and tries to convince myself that I'm fine with the 1-liter. Stick with it and live with it.
raycers_honda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 19:13   #1281
BHPian

My Virtus 1.5 GT showing some phenomenal mileage while going downhill, it was somewhere between Narkanda to Behna:

Another shot of the beauty on our way back.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_8218.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_8261.jpeg  

jaysonline is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 13:04   #1282
BHPian

Where can I get the wattage rating of all the bulbs/lights fitted in Virtus?
I could not see such specification table anywhere in the manual. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th July 2023, 16:04   #1283

Hello everyone, thanks for sharing your information about your Virtuses (Virtusi?).
I was in the market for a good, fun to drive, budget friendly car which I plan to keep for a period of 12-18 months only owing to some plans in my professional life.

After having seen most of Cars24 and Spinny's used VW Polos/Ventos (with the TSI heart), I decided it made better sense to take the New Car route.

Booked my Virtus Comfortline (Lava Blue) with VW South Madras today, and combined with HDFC's Zipdrive 100% funding, and some decent discounts from the dealer, the car seems to tick all the boxes 🤞

Took a 1L MT for a test drive prior to the booking, and I think for its price, the 1L TSI is good value proposition. Felt gears 1,2,3 have been optimised for low speed city conditions with minimal gear changes, whereas 4,5,6 are in the sweet spot for highway crusing at 100-120.

The aircon did a splendid job this morning (32 deg in Chennai's 80+% humidity) and the overall test drive made me feel like I was driving the Jetta 1.4 TSI MT (sans the touch and feel of the materials which is a step down from the Polo/Vento but still feels hard-wearing overall).

I hope to get the delivery by end of this month, and despite being a short termer in the garage, I am keen to change the wheels (thinking about the black Momo Revenge).

I'll update you all as things progress, and thank you dear owners for having provided great insights!
anjanravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:31   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer... View Post
1. Safety (atleast 4+ stars)
2. Decent after sales support (we live in Delhi NCR and drive around North India (mainly Himachal)+ Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, and West UP
3. A little bit engaging/ fun to drive
4. Keep the car for around 10 years (with as much EW as possible)
5. Be our primary car

While City and New Verna fare very well on ASS, I felt they do not match up to Virtus in safety and driving dynamics. My cousin, my wife, and I all fell in love with Virtus within two seconds of being in the driver's seat. Were not able to relive that feeling with City or Verna.

However, my cousin went through Facebook group of Virtus as well and found some issues as listed below:

1. Disc brake issue (brake pad noise + rusting)
2. Alignment issue
3. Shudder in steering wheel upon braking
4. Drop in mileage post AC updates
5. Below par ASS

Would love to hear from some of you soon before we finally take the plunge. If not Virtus or her sister, we might end up waiting for the new Nexon (hopefully with DCA) given its focus on safety.

I would also like to talk with some of you to discuss this in detail (although can't e-mail or PM you directly, being a newbie).
After 7k kms, I can tell you nothing beats the joy of driving the Virtus for me. I have seen some rusting on the brake pads but nothing else of the points listed. The rusting can have multiple reasons really and could likely happen to any car. Sure the AC is not a chiller, but it won't leave you sweating in the car. I was in the Konkan area (think hot, humid, and sweaty like Goa) in the summer months and had to reduce the temperature slightly to get a better cooling effect.

I think it's a question of what you wouldn't like to compromise on vs what you can. I couldn't compromise on the driving pleasure, and traded it with a slightly lower quality AC. As an example, the new Verna has many bells and whistles, but doesn't have wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. It has electric seat adjustment but no memory setting. The VAG twins get the basics and core essence stupendously right, but aren't feature rich as the Verna or the City. I can live with that. But some people value other things that I don't, and that's okay. Unfortunately, in this segment, buyers have to compromise on some things as there is no car that meets every thing.
isotope729 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 18:19   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope729 View Post
I think it's a question of what you wouldn't like to compromise on vs what you can.
Absolutely, there is no one car in this segment that ticks all the boxes. There is going to be a trade off for most of the buyers.
For me safety, reliability/ serviceability, and 'the joy of driving' are no.1, 2 and 3 priorities with not much gap between the them. I can live with less features but would not like to compromise on safety.

I hope VW has sorted out the initial niggles in the recently manufactured 'Virtuses' and have plans to enhance their customer experience. I plan to keep the car for around 10 years. Hope I am not expecting a lot from VW.
Old 18th July 2023, 09:38   #1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygamer View Post

Congratulations The 1.5 TSI is a gem of an engine and picks up pace in no time and it has a fabulous top end pull too.I too own 1.5 TSI DSG Taigun GT.The 1.5 TSI with the superb dynamics with well callibrated suspension is great to drive especially on the twisties
Yeah as you mentioned the mileage is bit of an issue it's not crossing beyond 12 or 13kmpl in the city but it's pretty sorted in the highways
Again the power window issue can be rectified by the service centre as VW is giving a software update for all the Taigun and virtus vehicle which can be done by the service centre itself.I myself went and updated last week
The VAG32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:05   #1287

hey @fancygamer.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your drives with an excellent car.

I might have missed this but what is this colour again please ?

Thanks,
Syed
traveller_riz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 14:23   #1288

To those who have upgraded the wipers to frameless ones, which ones have you gone for and what sizes? The stock ones are not giving a proper wipe anymore and it becomes risky to drive.

I measured the stock wipers and its approx 45cm ~ 17-18 inches on the passenger side, and approx 63cm ~25-26inches on the driver side. Are the measurements correct? If not, which sizes did you all go for?

And which wipers should I go for? I recently came across ones from Schaeffler, someone had mentioned a positive review on the wiper thread here. They're available on this website called motorways and was considering ordering from there. Any experiences?

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2023, 16:34   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy8134 View Post
To those who have upgraded the wipers to frameless ones, which ones have you gone for and what sizes? The stock ones are not giving a proper wipe anymore and it becomes risky to drive.

I measured the stock wipers and its approx 45cm ~ 17-18 inches on the passenger side, and approx 63cm ~25-26inches on the driver side. Are the measurements correct? If not, which sizes did you all go for?

And which wipers should I go for? I recently came across ones from Schaeffler, someone had mentioned a positive review on the wiper thread here. They're available on this website called motorways and was considering ordering from there. Any experiences?

Thanks!
I recently tried Bosch clear advantage and they did not really do the job, refunded them within a week as they started squealing and jumping. I have now ordered Hamaan wipers 450 the a piece.

The wiper sizes are 18" and 26" I've checked this and the bosch wipers I had earlier ordered fit perfectly.
vividhavasthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 19:08   #1290
BHPian

Would like to hear from the owners how satisfied are you with the AC performance. I personally found it inadequate and was constantly over-working/noisy but it was on a TD car and I don't want to draw any conclusion purely based on my TD experience. Would like some first-hand view on the same, particularly GT's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks