BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Finally took the delivery of Topline 1.0 AT
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_0244.jpeg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_0246.jpeg
mayank4823 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 07:06   #1337

Hi fellow BHPians... I have got home VW Virtus 1.5 GT Plus Automatic, and I am loving it so far. However, I have certain questions related to some of the basic features, below:

1. How to enable sound/ acoustic feedback while locking and unlocking the car - It comes handy when the car is parked in a mall basement or similar place. Additionally, is there a way to turn on the hazard sound, similar to Suzuki care?
2. Where can I get an extensive user and service manual?
3. Can we set custom trips - Currently the only 3 options (predefined ) are current trip, since refuel and long term..
4. Wifi Dongle for Volkswagen connect - I read somewhere about built in jio wifi dongle unit. However, I don't see anything in my car. Does the car get built in dongle? It's a pain to always turn in hotspot in my mobile and connecting car wifi to that.
5. Volkswagen connect app doesn't login - it just refuses to log in. Has anyone used it?
6. Non functional button in steering wheel - Can we set it up to function as mute/pause, or anything else?
7. Steering wheel controls - How do I mute using steering wheel. How do I reject an incoming call from remote itself ?
8. What would happen if someone accidentally pressed engine start /stop button while driving In D/S/R mode?
9. I keep getting a faint triple beep sound while driving (mostly between the speed 48 to 60 kmph. Does anyone know what's that about?
10. Sometimes , I see 3 seat icon when starting the car. Does anyone know what it is? Pic attached. (on the left --> Above D1)
11. Is there an extensive user manual to understand all the signs in digital cockpit?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230730_221639.jpg  

Old 31st July 2023, 17:34   #1338
BHPian

Hi all, I have to renew my car insurance. I had bought Liberty General Insurance when i bought the car, however while renewing I can't see the RTI cover. I tried reaching their customer care but either they disconnect my call or it doesn't connect. Their app is hopeless. Any recommendations on other insurance which has cashless tieup with VW? Will there be any problems if I change my OD cover to a different insurer when the third party is with liberty?
Old 31st July 2023, 18:35   #1339

Does anyone have an idea if the intelligent iq lights from the tiguan can be fit into the virtus headlight casing?
Old 31st July 2023, 19:25   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
Hi all, I have to renew my car insurance. I had bought Liberty General Insurance when i bought the car, however while renewing I can't see the RTI cover. I tried reaching their customer care but either they disconnect my call or it doesn't connect. Their app is hopeless. Any recommendations on other insurance which has cashless tieup with VW? Will there be any problems if I change my OD cover to a different insurer when the third party is with liberty?
There's no issue with changing the OD company, on policybazaar just reduce the IDV by 10% of your last year policy's IDV, select whichever covers you like (zero depp, consumable, engine-gearbox, RTI, NCB protect etc) and get your policy done. What i have noticed is that Volkswagen doesn't have a tie up with insurance companies like Toyota and Maruti do, the insurance companies vary from dealer to dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0chaos View Post
Does anyone have an idea if the intelligent iq lights from the tiguan can be fit into the virtus headlight casing?
Well the shape of the headlights of Virtus and Tiguan are completely different, so i dont think it would fit in. Secondly people aren't even able to fit the top model projector headlights in the base variant of the same car, so I don't think you can do it directly.
But if you want those lights at any cost then I'm sure a place which specializes in body work and modifications of cars would fit them for you.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 19:40   #1341
BHPian

Hi all, after a long time of deciding on what car to buy from thinking of going for the Suzuki Brezza to a Toyota Hyryder because my dad wanted a 'hatchback on stilts', my sister and me finally won and went and bought ahead a Virtus GT Plus DSG!

Delivery day:
Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230630_204200.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230630_204953.jpg

The next day we went on a family trip to Karjat with 5 people and luggage onboard and got a fuel efficiency of 18kmpl on the expressway plus a mix of single lane road driving which imo is wonderful which went downhill after I pressed the accelerator fully for the first time and then the fuel efficiency went for a toss.

Here are my thoughts after completing 2200 kms in a month.
1) We are a sucker for good looking cars and our Hyundai Eon still looks good to this day, the Virtus especially in it's GT avatar takes it up a notch with the grey roof and the spolier, the wheels I don't like that much.
2) If driven sedately, the car can give you good fuel efficiency but it is really sensitive to throttle outputs and I can tell you that I don't drive the car sedately at all.
3) Everyone seems to have a issue with interior quality being not that good but to me coming from an Eon, I have absolutely no complaints about it.
4) The car is a beauty and you can see it when I see people staring at it with enthusiasm and asking questions about it.
5) I had the unfortunate situation of going through Bhiwandi, Thanekars and Mumbaikars know that the road is non existent and the moon will be ashamed to see the amount of craters it lacks compared to that joke of a road, in short the car passed with flying colours with luggage and 4 people onboard without scraping it's bottom anywhere.
6) DSG seems to be tuned a lot more sedately compared to the Vento and Polo and you really feel it.
7) The steering at slow speeds is even lighter than our Eon which is a boon in the city, weighs up enough for me once you reach highway speeds.

I would like to say that the car is an upgrade in every sense compared to our Eon and we are having a lot of fun times with the car. To conclude, it is too early to say too much about the car but I really love it.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230715_171443.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230715_171421.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230730_15232701.jpeg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230725_223419.jpg
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 10:21   #1342
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank4823 View Post
Finally took the delivery of Topline 1.0 AT
Attachment 2483676

Attachment 2483677
Congrats! The virtus is an incredible car with very little to complain about. I am going to book one myself. Happy miles on your new virtus!
ashwinbalachand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 12:31   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantsoni23 View Post
Hi fellow BHPians... I have got home VW Virtus 1.5 GT Plus Automatic, and I am loving it so far. However, I have certain questions related to some of the basic features, below:

Thanks!
Congrats and below are answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge from my ownership of the car:

1. Only through coding.
2. There should have been a user manual provided with the car, but I agree it doesn't cover everything.
3. Haven't been able to find this feature yet.
4. It is there, I haven't seen it visually yet( should be connected to the OBD port in the car), but it's used for the Volkswagen Connect app. I believe it can't be simply used for other purposes.
5. Make sure you install My Volkswagen Connect+ app. Your phone number will have to be enabled by the VW backend team to login. Please follow up with your dealer, mine took about 4 days for it to work.
6. No
7. No option.
8. Never tried but I believe logically it must have been configured to not function in those modes.
9. Not sure but check if it's from maps or the Speed Sensitivity setting in Audio settings of the head unit.
10. I believe it's the rear passengers seatbelt indication.
11. I only found whatever is there in the physical manual provided with the car, was not able to find anything online with more details and even anything related to service.
jaysonline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 14:31   #1344

Hi all. Any inputs on whether Hill Hold Assist (or whatever VW calls it) can be activated on a MT 1.0? From the feature list of some other manufacturers this feature now seems available in MT also. Virtus has it listed only in AT or perhaps topline MT. I have a highline MT 1.0 and miss this feature (used in Ecosport AT).
Old 1st August 2023, 14:59   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini_Delhi View Post
Hi all. Any inputs on whether Hill Hold Assist (or whatever VW calls it) can be activated on a MT 1.0?
My friend's Kushaq Active (1L TSI Manual) was coded last year and this was one of the feature that got unlocked.
Old 2nd August 2023, 08:35   #1346
BHPian

I bought a Lava Blue GT MT around 10 days back, and have already completed a trip from Pune to Kerala and back, via Bangalore. ODO now almost 3000 km. The run-in was completed in the trip, and did the first scheduled check (1500km) in Kerala.

I wont get into details about the research that went in, had covered pretty much all cars in the 20-30 L bracket. I realized that it will be tough to get a car that meets all needs, and kept coming back to the Virtus GT multiple times during the research. I was focused on an MT and things started moving fast once VW announced the launch of the GT Manual.

A lot of head vs heart debates in the head, and also the fact that the rear seat wasn't very comfortable for 3 adults. But then I realised at some point that I may be having that use case only for about 5% of the time.

Some random observations at this point (3K done )

- Exceptional capability to do the long haul highway trips. You come out of the car quite fresh after a 12+ hour drive.

- Mature suspension leaning towards the stiffer side. Overall rides quite well and still keeps you connected with the road.

- Masks speed very well, especially when in the backseat.

- Quite nimble around corners, with only the slightest of body roll.

- the high GC is a big plus, and doesn't affect handing as much as one may think. The problem is only visual mostly, with the back a bit higher than usual.

- yes, the cooled seats are a bit loud at high settings, and only the driver window is one-touch... but these are small issues which one soon gets adjusted to. Ah and yes the poor reverse camera too.

- I miss the sunglasses holder in the car.

- The shape of the seats is great with good paddings on the side. The same for the back seats too, which makes it great for two backseat passengers, but not so great for three.

- Got to drive it in extremely challenging and bumper to bumper traffic conditions for long periods in Pune and Bangalore, and not for a moment did I find the Manual Transmission a challenge. You just need to get adjusted to the clutch travel thats all.

- Its tough to keep it under 100 on highways, but I am nowadays quite a sane driver and kept it betwen 100-110 for most of the trip. The extra power helps greatly in quick overtakes.

- the engine is very refined, and this car can also be driven very gently at low speeds, completely masking the true nature of the engine. The car is very quite in this mode, and the drive is very easy too. The moment you switch to higher rpms, the real nature of the engine comes through.

- About FE: I kept getting between 16 and 19 on highways, and even 20 at some points while cruising at 90 kph. Long term so far is around 15+ (forgot the exact number, but slightly short of 16). In Pune city traffic I get around 10.5-11 at this point.

- Finally - the car is a spiritual successor to the first gen i20 diesel that i sold - terrific highway cruiser. the i20 was not a good handler at all, but had a great engine that kept you happy on highways. Still miss the diesel , but this is the closest one gets I guess!

Last edited by Bigzero : 2nd August 2023 at 08:41.
Bigzero is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:15   #1347
BHPian

Hi, need some inputs on under body coating. I had done PPF from 3M during May. Upon asking the 3M folks about underbody coating, they said Virtus/Slavia doesn't need it as it's already done at the factory.

However, during my first service, the SA asked me if I would like to go for an underbody coating. I narrated my episode at 3M to him, and suddenly he told me that he would check with his team on that. I anyhow could not get it done there as the painter was on leave and I didn't want to leave the car without a positive answer.

Has anyone of you got it done or know if it's already there from the factory? TIA.
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:28   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I bought a Lava Blue GT MT around 10 days back, and have already completed a trip from Pune to Kerala and back
Forgot to add a picture, here it is! this one from Wayanad, Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-virt.jpg  

Last edited by Bigzero : 2nd August 2023 at 14:30.
Bigzero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 15:32   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
Hi, need some inputs on under body coating. I had done PPF from 3M during May. Upon asking the 3M folks about underbody coating, they said Virtus/Slavia doesn't need it as it's already done at the factory.

However, during my first service, the SA asked me if I would like to go for an underbody coating. I narrated my episode at 3M to him, and suddenly he told me that he would check with his team on that. I anyhow could not get it done there as the painter was on leave and I didn't want to leave the car without a positive answer.

Has anyone of you got it done or know if it's already there from the factory? TIA.
I am surprised by the answer the 3M guys gave you, they had a chance to make money yet they told you the truth. Virtus, Taigun, Slavia and Kushaq already have underbody protection in the form of rubberized paint, if you get to see the underbody of your car you will notice it, just sit down on near the rear bumper and try to look at the underside, you'll see it.

Don't trust everything the service center people tell you about things which are paid, the service advisors have targets to meet so they suggest and in some cases mislead people. Your answer surprised him I think otherwise he would have surely made you book an appointment for some other day.

Even during service don't let them do whatever they want, read the user manual, it states clearly what parts are to be replaced at each service.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 14:50   #1350

Took delivery of my Comfortline in Lava Blue yesterday, and swapped the rims for Lenso Dyna Jager today. I've driven the Virtus for about 50kms now, and here's a very quick report.

Total On-Road Price Paid = 13.18L incl. Zero dep insurance with RTI and Engine Protect and insurance on accessories upto 50k (since I planned on the alloy wheel purchase)

This is about the same price one would have paid for a City V/VX MT in 2014, and in comparison to the crazy prices today for new and used cars, I really loved the value proposition of a Comfortline. Additionally, the fact that LED headlights, 16-inch wheels and a touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple Car Play included, and not to forget that gorgeous exterior, made my buying decision easy!

I don't like the horn. I can hear it more inside than outside, and it is not fitting of a VW. I don't plan to immediately change it, as I generally don't use the horn too much anyway
Yes, it's not the VW quality of the last decade, but more of changing times, but I accept this as well.
The AC does make a hissing noise as everyone has reported (mine is a June 2023 made vehicle), but I dont find anything lacking in its performance (the last couple of days at Chennai have been boiling). As for the power windows, I don't see or hear what is wrong, maybe this issue was already fixed.

I love the engine, I'm changing to 2nd around the 3-4k mark, owing to traffic, and it feels very smooth and rev happy, like a Honda. I love the gear shifts, and the overall tuning of the Virtus for city conditions. And the ride has been faultless so far!

In the sub-15 lac segment, I think the Virtus or a Honda City SV, are two cars which are sorted, yet offer a level of driving pleasure and you generally can't go wrong with either package. The reason I chose the VW over the Honda was because I've been a Honda driver for 10 years now and I wanted a change.

I'll end by saying the Lava Blue is a difficult color to photograph, depending on where the light is, you may or may not see a Blue, but that is the charm of this color!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_121305949.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_121254782.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_121334433.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_120806128.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_120735128.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_120647752.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_121344270.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230802_150346718.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230803_060145654.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230803_063446770.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-pxl_20230803_063737039.jpg