Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 13:44   #1201
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Please don't. The recommended pressure for the Virtus IIRC is 33 PSI all round. Your 38-40 PSI will harden the tyres too much and make it a hard work for the suspension. Ride will be very harsh too. And - the actual difference to ground clearance will be next to 0.

But the recommended pressure is 41(front), 48 (rear) on full load - 5 people and luggage. My load was mostly 3 adults, 2 kids and full load of luggage.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:01   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Smart decision to use an FNG's services rather than visiting ASC directly for diagnosis. Often brings a solution faster, and at much cheaper cost.

Please don't. The recommended pressure for the Virtus IIRC is 33 PSI all round. Your 38-40 PSI will harden the tyres too much and make it a hard work for the suspension. Ride will be very harsh too. And - the actual difference to ground clearance will be next to 0.
I think it depends on the loading. If driving with all 4 passengers and with a boot full to the brim then the recommended pressure is 41 psi for front and 48 for rear tyres.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:16   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
But the recommended pressure is 41(front), 48 (rear) on full load - 5 people and luggage. My load was mostly 3 adults, 2 kids and full load of luggage.
Wow - please forget everything I said in my post .
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I think it depends on the loading. If driving with all 4 passengers and with a boot full to the brim then the recommended pressure is 41 psi for front and 48 for rear tyres.
Of course always dependent on the load, but on our roads, I always fill up less than the OEM specified pressure. By 1-2 clicks, at the expense of maybe fuel efficiency.

That said - I never anticipated recommended pressures nearly touching 50, even for full load. Its a day of enlightenment for me. Thanks!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:19   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
Reinhard’s recommendation is correct. Drive at 33 or 35psi for a good balance between comfort and efficiency. 35psi is something I find best with my experience on Kushaq. Manufacturers tend to recommend extremely high pressures in the interest of maximising fuel efficiency. German makes are particularly notorious for specifying excessively high pressures.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st May 2023 at 14:22.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 16:30   #1205
BHPian

Well i have decided to go with whatever manufacturer has recommended. The max PSI for Conti UC6 is 51Psi so there is still 3 psi buffer. Even if you have 51 PSI I am sure the tyre manufacture would have accounted for expansion in hot and rolling conditions.
Old 1st June 2023, 19:23   #1206
BHPian

Does your Virtus steering re centres on taking a turn? Mine re centres about 60%. However my good old grand i10 steering re centres 100%. Pls share behaviour of your Virtus’s steering

Last edited by SolidusSnake : 1st June 2023 at 19:24. Reason: Spell check
Old 3rd June 2023, 23:13   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Please elaborate! How does putting the AC in LOW increase it's durability?

If that's true, I'll always do that.
Hi! Unlike in home AC, where we set say at 24 Deg C for optimum results in terms of power consumption and comfort, wherein the ambient condition is pretty constant inside a room, a moving car will have varied ambient condition, and putting it at a specific set temperature, the compressor is always trying to fight the ambient conditions to bring down to the set levels..this puts pressure on the compressor and the coils and reduces it's shelf life..whereas setting it at low, and varying the the fan speed, the compressor is able to work on a constant speed which prevents it from sudden shift in pressures with respect to varying ambient conditions and results in optimum shelf life..
jojodhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 07:33   #1208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodhar View Post
Hi! Unlike in home AC, where we set say at 24 Deg C for optimum results in terms of power consumption and comfort, wherein the ambient condition is pretty constant inside a room, a moving car will have varied ambient condition, and putting it at a specific set temperature, the compressor is always trying to fight the ambient conditions to bring down to the set levels..this puts pressure on the compressor and the coils and reduces it's shelf life..whereas setting it at low, and varying the the fan speed, the compressor is able to work on a constant speed which prevents it from sudden shift in pressures with respect to varying ambient conditions and results in optimum shelf life..
Going by this logic 'variable compressors' for automobiles would never have been invented. We would all still have 'clutch type' compressors.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 07:51   #1209
Senior - BHPian

While driving, one rarely faces changes in ambient temperatures. Its not like a +_5 deg swing over a 20 km journey. Why would the compressor be loaded more than usual?
Old 4th June 2023, 08:29   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodhar View Post
Sorry to say, I don't agree with your explanation. First of all, the compressor cannot work at constant speeds since it's driven by the engine which never runs at constant speed except when the car is idling. Second, the compressor cannot run continuously in case of a magnet clutch based compressor and at full duty cycle in case of a variable displacement compressor. Its running is controlled by two parameters, one being pressure built up at the high pressure side and two, temperature reached at the evaporator. There are other factors as well but with respect to cooling needs these are the two.

Setting the temperature in AC control to LO or any minimum setting does one thing to the compressor, ie it will run longer or run at higher duty cycle until the cabin temperature reaches minimum, which in this case mostly doesn't happen (imagine chilling the cabin to 16 Deg C). Apart from that, there is no benefit setting a really low temperature in the climate control and expecting it to prolong the compressor life. Its rather the other way round.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 16:18   #1211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sorry to say, I don't agree with your explanation.
Its rather the other way round.
This is what I wanted to type as well, but was too lazy and typed the one line that I did Any reciprocating device, whether it be engine or compressor, will suffer reduced life if operated at 'peak load' for more duration. The very idea of variable compressors is to reduce the 'load' by reducing compression ratio, and make the operating point far away from the 'max theoretical output operating point'. (live examples before us are the Toyota diesels in prev gen innova - barely 200Nm and 100bhp from a 2.5L turbo diesel)
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 19:46   #1212
BHPian

There was a recent news article where VW launched the Virtus in the Brazilian market with ADAS functionality. Given that it is essentially the same platform sold here, any idea when VW will introduce it here? Sadly I cannot seem to find any decent videos of this on YouTube.

The City/Verna are now hesviyequipped with ADAS and some decent kit which now makes the VAG duo of Virtus/Slavia stand out. I would have thought VW would want to address this gap on an otherwise very capable product. Even more so when it has already been deployed on the same platform in other markets.
Old 8th June 2023, 16:12   #1213
BHPian

Virtus GT MT launched today by VW - Prices starting 16,89,900 INR for the manual. Edge editions (Black GT) would require 20k more.

Not sure if they have updated the Ambient Lighting to the entire dashboard only for the Edge Edition as shown in the images, but if it is done I would like to get it added from official VW.

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-screenshot-20230608-4.08.49-pm.png  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-screenshot-20230608-4.11.12-pm.png  

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 8th June 2023 at 16:19.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 17:50   #1214
Senior - BHPian

The Volkswagen Virtus has been on sale in India for exactly 1 year.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230609_174942.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230609_174944.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20230609_174946.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 17:54   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Virtus GT MT launched today by VW - Prices starting 16,89,900 INR for the manual. Edge editions (Black GT) would require 20k more.

Not sure if they have updated the Ambient Lighting to the entire dashboard only for the Edge Edition as shown in the images, but if it is done I would like to get it added from official VW.
Might be a mistake from the team who have updated the website, this dashboard belongs to the Taigun, not the Virtus.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks