Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2023, 08:23   #1156
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Just finished a round-trip to Himachal and noticed the following on the way back:

1. The otherwise excellent brakes have taken on a late bite and results in a very jerky retardation. Feathering the pedal to cause gentle slowdown from speed, is drastically disabled. This resulted in a very jerky highway drive whenever traffic turned up ahead.
I have this exact same problem and it's so annoying honestly. I even got rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic once. It only caused a small scratch.

I even wrote to VW customer care that the brake pedal modulation isn't linear and i suspect brake assist to be the culprit. I had shown it in the service centre also but as expected, "because the computer says so, nothing is wrong". I hope vw fixes this. It should be just a brake assist algorithm remap.

Regarding the AC, my car cools okay, but everytime I cold start the car, the AC makes a hissing noise. I was told it's the noise of the refrigerant gushing in the pipes. I asked them if they can make that noise go away. They said its normal, at the service centre. Should I be concerned about refrigerant levels or something?
apramey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 11:05   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apramey View Post
I have this exact same problem and it's so annoying honestly. I even got rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic once. It only caused a small scratch.

I even wrote to VW customer care that the brake pedal modulation isn't linear and i suspect brake assist to be the culprit. I had shown it in the service centre also but as expected, "because the computer says so, nothing is wrong". I hope vw fixes this. It should be just a brake assist algorithm remap.

Regarding the AC, my car cools okay, but everytime I cold start the car, the AC makes a hissing noise. I was told it's the noise of the refrigerant gushing in the pipes. I asked them if they can make that noise go away. They said its normal, at the service centre. Should I be concerned about refrigerant levels or something?
Gosh! That’s a whole lot of folk quoting the same or similar issue with the Virtus brakes! Shame that VW Service continue to ignore it, especially when the original brakes were just so good, out of the showroom.
I’ve decided to hold onto mine for a bit longer, until the car clocks 6k and I need to take it in for the routine checkup (already getting reminder on the digital dash about its imminence). Only this time, I intend not to come away with the car without getting this irritant fixed.

About the hissing ac - again a common groan and I think mine had the same thing initially. Until one day, I complained about poor cooling and they hooked up the compressor to their ac diagnostics machine and figured that the refrigerant was way below the recommended quantity. A top up seemed to work very fine. Car cools acceptably well and there aren’t any unwanted noises. You could do the same.

Cheers
Old 9th May 2023, 21:24   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
I just got the first checkup done for my Virtus 1.0 AT last Friday.
After this, the VW connect app is reporting ststus incorrectly.
Even though the car is parked, status says either "idling" or "Not reporting".
Anyone facing this?
Took the car to the service center today. They just pulled the dongle and put it back.
Still did not help.
So the sales guy who helped with initial registration of the app asked to send him an email adding some photos as attachments, which I did.
Lets see.
Old 10th May 2023, 19:37   #1159
BHPian

This took me by surprise, a Hyundai handles better than the VAG twins

Watch from 00:54
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 19:51   #1160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
This took me by surprise, a Hyundai handles better than the VAG twins...
Even putting aside my reservations on the objectivity of this 'test', the vertical oscillation in the Verna's soft suspension as it straightens out of the turn is obvious even in that clip.

Any car I'm trying to push through a corner, I'd rather have predictable under/oversteer than an unpredictable vertical oscillation mid-corner.

Preferences vary, of course.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 20:38   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even putting aside my reservations on the objectivity of this 'test', the vertical oscillation in the Verna's soft suspension as it straightens out of the turn is obvious even in that clip.

Any car I'm trying to push through a corner, I'd rather have predictable under/oversteer than an unpredictable vertical oscillation mid-corner.

Preferences vary, of course.
+1 to that

Won't mince my words, I call paid advertising!

This has to be the dumbest "objective" set of tests i've ever seen.

Even if we bite, it is plain as day that the driver has wrestled it into the corner on a totally different line + the weight transfer screams brakes (released brakes explains the upward pitching towards the end of the maneuver)!

Also the "expert" says that the ESP kicks the tail out. No ESP will make the tail of a car kick out itself (it might ALLOW it when the driver kicks the tail out in advanced variable intervention setups, but not here..), clearly the dude does not know how ESP works. How dumb do they think their audience are?

Before anyone calls me a fanboy, we have had 5 Hyundais in the Family. I drove a Verna CRDi for 5 years until I sold it in Nov. last year and got myself a Slavia 1.5.

I have also driven the new Verna, I will concede that it gets a lot of things right vis a vis the VAG twins (NVH and accessibility to performance especially). However, the said "things" are to the exclusion of driver involvement.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 10th May 2023 at 20:40.
ashivas89 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 22:40   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Couldn't agree more, because of what I heard so far, the Slavia/Virtus are better handler over the Korean anyday but this video somehow says the other. That tail does looks like it's dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Even if we bite, it is plain as day that the driver has wrestled it into the corner on a totally different line + the weight transfer screams brakes (released brakes explains the upward pitching towards the end of the maneuver)!
I watched the video again and yeah, something does look different in the way the cars are entering the corner or rather the Slavia not even hitting the apex by carrying a different line.
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 22:52   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/cSJ8mfgNSQs

Watch from 00:54
This test is meaningless as the cars take different lines. Having a large sweeping curve and seeing which car could maintain their radius while incrementally increasing their speed every run would have been much better.
Cresterk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 01:20   #1164

I am in the market for a sedan. I recently test-drove Virtus 1.0 MT and AT. Also Slavia 1.5 DSG. I don't know why, but I liked the handling, steering, and highway ride quality of Virtus(while I was driving MT 1.0) better than Slavia DSG. Is it really like that and others share the same opinion? Or is it my misjudgment?

I could spend extra for 1.5 tsi but not at the cost of better handling. I think, it would be on very rare occasions that I would get the chance of experiencing the rush of 1.5 tsi since the limit on Indian roads is 120 km/hr.

My budget is ~ 18 lacs. At my place - I could get Slavia 1.5 tsi ambition or Virtus 1.0 MT/AT under this budget.
:-)
Would really like to hear a few opinions of BHPians. Thanks :-)
Tatvamasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:26   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatvamasi View Post

My budget is ~ 18 lacs. At my place - I could get Slavia 1.5 tsi ambition or Virtus 1.0 MT/AT under this budget.
:-)
Would really like to hear a few opinions of BHPians. Thanks :-)
Virtus is a better handler out of the two but I won't say it is a night and day difference. If I were you, I would take the 1.5 Ambition Slavia over the Virtus 1L TSI eyes closed.

Also if you can wait for couple of months, Virtus 1.5 MT is going to be launched in June if you are not specifically looking for an Automatic. MT would be atleast 1.5L cheaper than DSG.

1.5 TSI is a different beast waiting to be explored, 1L TSI standalone is very good too.

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 11th May 2023 at 12:29.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:13   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
ZigWheels, PowerDrift and Cardekho are all siblings, how can they have different conclusions about same cars .

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 15:04   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Also the "expert" says that the ESP kicks the tail out. No ESP will make the tail of a car kick out itself (it might ALLOW it when the driver kicks the tail out in advanced variable intervention setups, but not here..), clearly the dude does not know how ESP works ...
I think in the case of the Verna, the car starts going into a slide which you can see around the 1:48 mark and then ESP brakes the right front around 1:49/1:50 point to prevent the car from spinning out as you can see the dive on that wheel at this point.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 15:15   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
ZigWheels, PowerDrift and Cardekho are all siblings, how can they have different conclusions about same cars
Have you ever met siblings who unanimously agree on anything?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 15:09   #1169

I have a Virtus 1.5 TSi DSG in Reflex Silver. Have had it since September 2023. Just completed 14k kms on the odo. My drive is typically 10% city and 90% highway.
For my sedate driving style, I’ve been averaging 16.8kmpl overall with a maximum of 21.8kmpl on a cold December morning with just me in the car.

A few owners have reported that the engine requires an oil top up at around 10k kms. However, my car hasn’t required it uptil now.

I just have a question, during my Mumbai-Kolhapur drive yesterday afternoon, the ambient temperature ranged from 37 to 41 degrees C. We were 4 adults with luggage in the car with AC on throughout. I noticed the oil temperature on the digital display changing from 98 to 110 degrees C while the static bar display at the bottom of the cluster remained at 90 degrees C throughout. Unfortunately I could not fill up the car with xp95 as I usually do.

Is this wide range of engine oil temp normal? Anything I should be worrying about? Anybody else experiencing this in their cars? Could it be that the lower octane petrol caused this?

Other than that the car runs beautifully and has been a great replacement for my 2011 VW Polo 1.2 TDi.
Old 13th May 2023, 17:20   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlok94 View Post
A few owners have reported that the engine requires an oil top up at around 10k kms. However, my car hasn’t required it uptil now.

I noticed the oil temperature on the digital display changing from 98 to 110 degrees C while the static bar display at the bottom of the cluster remained at 90 degrees C throughout. Unfortunately I could not fill up the car with xp95 as I usually do.

Is this
Well over the period of time engine consumes some engine oil, so it's better to check your oil levels regularly, moreover in the user manual it's mentioned that the engine oil would be consumed too.

98-110 degrees in not that a wide range, with ambient temperatures rising, car with full load, being driven on the highway and AC on, it is bound to rise. Have you checked your oil levels recently? Moreover engine oil degrades too with time, 14k kilometers is a lot of kilometers for a factory filled oil and it's bound to loose it's performance, maybe it's a sign to get your engine oil replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks