Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2023, 17:48   #1171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlok94 View Post
Is this wide range of engine oil temp normal? Anything I should be worrying about? Anybody else experiencing this in their cars? Could it be that the lower octane petrol caused this?
Higher oil temperature is normal. It will increase when running on constant load like high speed driving, climbing up ghats, occasional bursts of high rpms etc. The oil is cooled separately in the oil cooler and the coolant absorbs this heat and let's it out via the radiator. While the coolant temperature stays almost at the same level when engine is warm, the oil temperature can be slightly higher. I guess the only time I've observed 110 Deg oil temp is when I climbed up the Agumbe ghats in manual mode and pushed the car with turbo hissing all the time. Else usually it goes upto 105 degrees when I slightly push the car.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 23:41   #1172
BHPian

I am facing a weird issue in my car since the rains hit BLR. Wipers started to come on randomly even in parking garages. Initially I thought it could be the rain sensor picking up on random water droplets, but no.. not the case. It still occurred when it had been bone dry for 2 days straight + after my disabling auto wipers in car settings. Although i have been unable to reproduce it, I suspect that it happens whenever I hit a modular bolted on speed breaker or rumble strip.

Has anyone faced this, been able to reproduce it and fixed it? lets compare notes please..
Old 14th May 2023, 01:13   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlok94 View Post
I have a Virtus 1.5 TSi DSG in Reflex Silver. Have had it since September 2023. Just completed 14k kms on the odo. My drive is typically 10% city and 90% highway.
For my sedate driving style, I’ve been averaging 16.8kmpl overall with a maximum of 21.8kmpl on a cold December morning with just me in the car.

A few owners have reported that the engine requires an oil top up at around 10k kms. However, my car hasn’t required it uptil now.

I just have a question, during my Mumbai-Kolhapur drive yesterday afternoon, the ambient temperature ranged from 37 to 41 degrees C. We were 4 adults with luggage in the car with AC on throughout. I noticed the oil temperature on the digital display changing from 98 to 110 degrees C while the static bar display at the bottom of the cluster remained at 90 degrees C throughout. Unfortunately I could not fill up the car with xp95 as I usually do.

Is this wide range of engine oil temp normal? Anything I should be worrying about? Anybody else experiencing this in their cars? Could it be that the lower octane petrol caused this?

Other than that the car runs beautifully and has been a great replacement for my 2011 VW Polo 1.2 TDi.
Nothing to worry about at this time. Yes, a new TSI engine will burn oil, and what I've done is buy a can and keep it with me. Your driving patterns and well what others do is different, one on highway, one with varied other usecases, my reco is = buy a can/bottle and keep it with you. During my jetta/gti days, I had to do a top up between regular services.
Old 14th May 2023, 09:25   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even putting aside my reservations on the objectivity of this 'test', the vertical oscillation in the Verna's soft suspension as it straightens out of the turn is obvious even in that clip.

Any car I'm trying to push through a corner, I'd rather have predictable under/oversteer than an unpredictable vertical oscillation mid-corner.

Preferences vary, of course.
I would even question the purpose of such a test frankly. 99 % of our car drivers do not know how to really handle a car at speeds above 70 kph - they have mostly never trained for it and do not have any expectations from themselves or from the car. They would do well to brake before coming around a corner and then accelerate afterwards, purely for safety's sake. Most cars have now completely done away with hydraulic power steering, which in my experience was the best mechanism for steering feedback and consequently handling predictability . They are overtly artificially assisted for the least burly driver and naturally so, because they are plonking in their dear money into the car. To then expect F1 traits from such cars is meaningless.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th May 2023 at 09:27.
Old 15th May 2023, 12:45   #1175

Re: My Skoda Slavia 1.5 DSG | The Blue Tiger | Ownership Review

Hello all, Back in office after a good long trip in the Virtus GT. Details as follows

Day 1 - I started at 4 PM to Tirumala from Hosur - 291 km - Reached at 9 PM. The tyre pressure warning shot up during the travel. First time saw that - checked the pressure at the nearest petrol bunk. Everything was fine; re-calibrated the software and the warning light went off.

Day 2 - Tirumala to Vijayawada - 432 km - Fantastic drive - got to know more about the car as this was one of the first long trip in the new GT Virtus.

Day 3 - Vijayawada to Bhadrachalam and return back to Vijayawada - ~375 km - Had nice darshan of Sri Rama and went to Kondapalli toy town

Day 4 - Vijayawada to Hosur via - Sriperumbudur (Chennai) - This was a record 750 km drive from morning 9 AM to 11:30 PM visiting temples at Singaraya konda, Sriperumbudur and Thiruputkuzhi. Superb Roads and enjoyed the drive thoroughly.

The Virtus GT drive is an unbelievable experience. Never tires and just goes on and on. The seating comfort was phenomenal, no back ache, no leg pain, nothing.

Mileage was around 14.7 km/L throughout the trip. I kept loading only half the tank due to excessive heat in this season. A/C always running.

Virtus GT is great for long drives; for city drives - is only average.
naveenasubbu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 14:47   #1176
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi all,

I am planning to buy the VW Virtus 1.5 GT. I wanted the forum's help on the following

1. How reliable is the DSG 7 speed gearbox?
2. I keep reading about AC issue/ Power Window issue. Has this been fixed?
3. I have also read stuff brakes not performing optimally - is this something I should be worried about

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Ashwin
ashwinbalachand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 20:05   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinbalachand View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to buy the VW Virtus 1.5 GT. I wanted the forum's help on the following

1. How reliable is the DSG 7 speed gearbox?
2. I keep reading about AC issue/ Power Window issue. Has this been fixed?
3. I have also read stuff brakes not performing optimally - is this something I should be worried about

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Ashwin
There are entire threads on the DSG & DQ200 gearbox.

Here is an excellent one by S-BHPian JoshMachine :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)

People have already spoken about the efficacy of the AC and window rollback software fix on this thread, and the Slavia, Taigun and Kushaq official review threads.

Brakes work fine, the pedal can be a little spongy initially but braking performance is fantastic, there is no fade during high speed highway runs, stopping performance is also great with stock tyres, premium tyres will enhance this further( BTW, the front disc is almost the same size as discs you get in entry level German luxury cars!).
ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 11:29   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
There are entire threads on the DSG & DQ200 gearbox.

Here is an excellent one by S-BHPian JoshMachine :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)

People have already spoken about the efficacy of the AC and window rollback software fix on this thread, and the Slavia, Taigun and Kushaq official review threads.

Brakes work fine, the pedal can be a little spongy initially but braking performance is fantastic, there is no fade during high speed highway runs, stopping performance is also great with stock tyres, premium tyres will enhance this further( BTW, the front disc is almost the same size as discs you get in entry level German luxury cars!).
Hello!

Thanks for this. Will look into the thread in detail. To be honest, the DSG is the most important issue. I can live with the AC/Power Window issue just for the phenomenal ride quality of the Virtus

Also, this is my first post and I am extremely glad to be a part of this lovely forum
ashwinbalachand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 15:37   #1179
BHPian

Hello,

I just wanted to get your opinion on a slight discomfort I am experiencing, and check if this is common.

It appears to be related to the front disc brakes. My vehicle is at 5.5k now, and for some time, I have been noticing a slight jarring sound (metallic) at low speeds of 10/15 or high speeds of 70/80. Its as if the brake is being applied automatically. I seem to hear the metallic sound even at high speeds without applying brakes. It does not appear as if the front wheels are rotating as freely as possible. Could it be due to ESC or the brake disc wiping feature or maybe traction control? Do you experience the same?

I plan to ask the ASC when I get to a city with a VW ASC and it is not a major issue since the vehicle drives fine and accelaration is not impacted, but I am concerned it may affect mileage if the engine has to work harder due to brakes being applied randomly, and also the wear the breaks may possibly be subjected to.

Last edited by Zippy_wheels : 16th May 2023 at 15:52.
Old 16th May 2023, 17:42   #1180
BHPian

HI all,

Is there any news on the Virtus getting ADAS features in the near future?

I read this article yesterday on the SKODA twins and it sounds promising - https://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...et-adas.39624/

Any such news from the VW side? I am guessing it will be part of the facelift which is at least 2 years away?
Old 17th May 2023, 17:56   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
Hello,

It appears to be related to the front disc brakes. My vehicle is at 5.5k now, and for some time, I have been noticing a slight jarring sound (metallic) at low speeds of 10/15 or high speeds of 70/80. Its as if the brake is being applied automatically. I seem to hear the metallic sound even at high speeds without applying brakes. It does not appear as if the front wheels are rotating as freely as possible. Could it be due to ESC or the brake disc wiping feature or maybe traction control? Do you experience the same?
Are you noticing this during both wet and dry conditions? Best way to check this would be at the ASC and have them lift the car and "drive" it in the air (i am not sure how else you could replicate the issue, unless the vw techs have a way to figure this out) this would at least confirm if the issue is in the brakes and if so, which side! My car has crossed 8K and I haven't felt such a noise.
vividhavasthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 18:06   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
Are you noticing this during both wet and dry conditions? Best way to check this would be at the ASC and have them lift the car and "drive" it in the air (i am not sure how else you could replicate the issue, unless the vw techs have a way to figure this out) this would at least confirm if the issue is in the brakes and if so, which side! My car has crossed 8K and I haven't felt such a noise.
Thank you for your response Vividhavasthi! It happens in dry conditions. Its just a slight jarring metallic sound as if the brakes are being applied. It cant even be recorded as inly I can feel it and feel that the wheels are not rotating as freely as it should.

Thanks for confirming you dont feel it. I will go to an ASC, I dont have one nearby and need to travel onwards another 500+ kms, this weekend, before I reach a city with a VW SS. That is the reason I wanted to check with others.
Old 17th May 2023, 18:10   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post

Thanks for confirming you dont feel it. I will go to an ASC, I dont have one nearby and need to travel onwards another 500+ kms, this weekend, before I reach a city with a VW SS. That is the reason I wanted to check with others.
Perhaps you could stop at a local garage and have them take a look? It could be something small such as a stone stuck somewhere!
vividhavasthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 18:48   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
Perhaps you could stop at a local garage and have them take a look? It could be something small such as a stone stuck somewhere!
I dont have a lot of confidence in local garages here. There are hardly any VW's running here. In 2 weeks I saw maybe 5-6 VW's and I am staying near a state highway that sees traffic all night . The nearest VW SS is 400 kms away. It would be a waste of money and time to get it checked by a local tech. No one admits defeat and they will make a valiant attempt at fixing it . Historically I have always regretted getting VW vehicles checked outside and following their recommendations.

Its not a stone since I started noticing this atleast 3 weeks back and have driven 800 kms since. I imagine any stone/debris would have been crushed to dust or thrown out by now. Since its not affecting anything (other than my peace of mind), I will continue and get it checked at an authorized SS.
Old 19th May 2023, 11:43   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
Took the car to the service center today. They just pulled the dongle and put it back.
Still did not help.
So the sales guy who helped with initial registration of the app asked to send him an email adding some photos as attachments, which I did.
Lets see.
Update:
After waiting for 10 days, got a call from VW Sales guy.
He asked me to pull the dongle, wait till the lights go off and put it back
After doing this and waiting 5 mins, started the car and drove off.
It started working fine after this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks