Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 17:52   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,974
Thanked: 8,085 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Nexon EV comes with an official figure of 300 mm when it comes to water-wading capacity which, by the way, is same as that of the Nexon petrol/diesel. Additionally, the Nexon EV's motor and battery pack are IP67 certified, which implies that these are (a) Totally protected against dust and (b) Protected against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m. Duration of test 30 minutes

Also, Tata Motors claims to have conducted thorough testing on water wading capabilities of the Nexon EV, as seen in the video below:
[.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great review. Seeing rains around, I am also curious on how these cars fare in rain and floods. More importantly how safe they are in such conditions. I hope Tata has already looked into those aspects.

A simple thing like, how do you start charging again and how sure are we that wet cases are not seeping into electrical networks of the car.

It may sound like a 101 question on this topic, but would be great to get some perspective on this aspect.
Water wading is temporary, one wades through and goes away.

What happens if an EV remains submerged in water due to flooding? Will it pose any risk to passer by? Any IP rating has a depth and duration mentioned as it's limit. What happens if the car goes beyond the limit?
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 18:51   #77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
TaMo generally loves to show off crash test ratings. Many Tata cars had their crash test ratings at launch itself.

The exception is the Harrier where likely no crash test was done since the ratings are likely to be less than stellar. Let's hope that the reason for the Nexon EV twins not being crash tested yet is not similar !
The battery goes all the way to the skid-plate. This can lead to catastrophic consequences in the instance of a head-on crash, and could be the reason for, well, chickening out of the real test
The first real world instance of a crash, God forbid, will reveal the truth
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:14   #78
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,070 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

What happens if an EV remains submerged in water due to flooding? Will it pose any risk to passer by? Any IP rating has a depth and duration mentioned as it's limit. What happens if the car goes beyond the limit?
As with any submerged automobile in a flood it will be a an insurance write off and one will have to buy a replacement.

Driving an EV through water one will not have to worry about water entering the air intake and ultimately the engine, but things like wiring harnesses and electronic circuit boards can become corroded if exposed directly to water. Even if they don't fail immediately, their lifespans may be dramatically shortened.

Lithium in batteries also react adversely to water but direct exposure is unlikely. High-voltage components such as the batteries, motors, inverters are well sealed and waterproof. They are designed to perform beyond their rated thresholds, but it's never advisable.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:31   #79
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,070 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
The battery goes all the way to the skid-plate. This can lead to catastrophic consequences in the instance of a head-on crash, and could be the reason for, well, chickening out of the real test
The first real world instance of a crash, God forbid, will reveal the truth
No it does not do all the way to the skid plate, that is very incorrect. The battery is well within the passenger compartment.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-nexon-battery-placement.png
Name:  Nexon battery.PNG
Views: 337
Size:  377.6 KB
Name:  Nexon shell.PNG
Views: 322
Size:  606.7 KB
shortbread is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:39   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 1,368 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
...could be the reason for, well, chickening out of the real test
The first real world instance of a crash, God forbid, will reveal the truth
Based on my limited experience in testing battery based devices, my guess is that the GNCAP lab may not be equipped to douse a large scale Li Ion fire. Every test lab that I worked with tend to take elaborate measures to protect their expensive equipment and one such risk is fire. Since there may be a possibility of post crash fire in case of EV crash test, I am not sure if GNCAP test lab is equipped to handle it or their property insurance may not cover it. That could be the reason why no EV has been tested by GNCAP yet.
It is only my guess and I may be wrong here. I am in no way claiming that Nexon EV will catch fire after a crash.
nagr22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:46   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,974
Thanked: 8,085 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Lithium in batteries also react adversely to water but direct exposure is unlikely. High-voltage components such as the batteries, motors, inverters are well sealed and waterproof. They are designed to perform beyond their rated thresholds, but it's never advisable.
While I understand and am not concerned about write-off/long term failure of components, I am interested to understand the consequences if and when water seeps into the battery (due to prolonged exposure to water such as flooded basement or roads). I am reminded of fatal accidents when live wire falls into a pool of water.

IP67 rating means it can withstand immersion in water upto 1metre (flooding can be more than that) and 30 minutes (flooding can be prolonged).

Last edited by ashis89 : 18th May 2022 at 19:58.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:46   #82
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
No it does not do all the way to the skid plate, that is very incorrect. The battery is well within the passenger compartment.

Attachment 2309454
Attachment 2309455
Attachment 2309456
I'm sorry, I stand corrected
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:55   #83
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,070 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Based on my limited experience in testing battery based devices, my guess is that the GNCAP lab may not be equipped to douse a large scale Li Ion fire. Every test lab that I worked with tend to take elaborate measures to protect their expensive equipment and one such risk is fire. Since there may be a possibility of post crash fire in case of EV crash test, I am not sure if GNCAP test lab is equipped to handle it or their property insurance may not cover it. That could be the reason why no EV has been tested by GNCAP yet.
Hi nagr, I think you are wrong. Evidence attached.

shortbread is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:53   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Was anyone able to get a test drive of Nexon EV Max? I see that the rear seating comfort has change due to elevated floor pan, especially the under thigh support. I was hugely in favour of Nexon EV over MG ZS EV as the rear seat comfort was lot superior (apart from being lot more affordable). Knowing that rear seat comfort has been compromised has put me in two minds on the EV Max.

Can anyone please shed some light on this issue? My usage will mostly be in city and once a month on highways for rides up to 200 KM each way. I don’t mind the extra 1.5L-2L I have to spend on the EV Max as I would get a larger battery and selective regen which are the factors that matter more to me. But a compromise on rear seat comfort is pinching me.

Thanks in advance.
raghupro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:46   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MYS-BLR
Posts: 215
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
Was anyone able to get a test drive of Nexon EV Max? I see that the rear seating comfort has change due to elevated floor pan, especially the under thigh support. I was hugely in favour of Nexon EV over MG ZS EV as the rear seat comfort was lot superior (apart from being lot more affordable). Knowing that rear seat comfort has been compromised has put me in two minds on the EV Max. Thanks in advance.
I'm in the same exact boat. Added to this are doubts about the ride quality of the Max.

I would want to do a real-life comparison of the back seat comfort and ride quality between ZS EV (at a sane 33psi) and Max before taking a decision.

Neither ZS EV nor Max is seeming to be a good package for a family car; picking either would be a compromise especially for the rear seat occupants. I'm willing to stretch budget-wise, but there don't seem to be any other alternatives on the horizon. The only option seems to be to wait for a couple of years atleast for the next crop of EVs to come up.
qaqa is offline  
Old 19th May 2022, 13:13   #86
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,070 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
Was anyone able to get a test drive of Nexon EV Max? I see that the rear seating comfort has change due to elevated floor pan, especially the under thigh support. I was hugely in favour of Nexon EV over MG ZS EV as the rear seat comfort was lot superior (apart from being lot more affordable). Knowing that rear seat comfort has been compromised has put me in two minds on the EV Max.
I think due to the larger battery packs both ZS EV and the Nexon Max suffers from raised floorboards. (Disclaimer: I have not sat in the new Max). That said the Nexon's floorboard has gone up by 10mm, which in context is similar to being seated wearing higher heels/soles. For most passengers this should be a non issue, but if the family does have fairly taller members the raised knees position might be noticeable. I suppose a test drive with family along can come up with the right verdict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
My usage will mostly be in city and once a month on highways for rides up to 200 KM each way. I donít mind the extra 1.5L-2L I have to spend on the EV Max as I would get a larger battery and selective regen which are the factors that matter more to me. But a compromise on rear seat comfort is pinching me.
Perhaps the standard Nexon might do the job well enough and is cheaper. An off beat choice might be the less glamorous Tigor EV. It's compact dimensions suit the city, better VFM, does 200 kms real world and has the added advantage of tall boy seating.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:49   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 9,905 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post

I would want to do a real-life comparison of the back seat comfort and ride quality between ZS EV (at a sane 33psi) and Max before taking a decision.
It’s going to be a tough ask, getting a ZS EV at 33psi. The recommended pressure is 41. If you drop it that much, it will have an effect the range.

For what it’s worth, the overall back seat experience of the Nexon will be better than the ZS. Even if both car’s have raised rear floors, Nexon’s is better. It also has wider cabin, more legroom and much more shoulder space. The overall ride and handling package is also very sorted. If anything, someone my find it’s back a bit too reclined. As long as you are fine with the recline angle, the Nexon EV Max is the objectively better car to be chauffeured in.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:00   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ROI-PRC
Posts: 151
Thanked: 616 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While I understand and am not concerned about write-off/long term failure of components, I am interested to understand the consequences if and when water seeps into the battery (due to prolonged exposure to water such as flooded basement or roads). I am reminded of fatal accidents when live wire falls into a pool of water.

IP67 rating means it can withstand immersion in water upto 1metre (flooding can be more than that) and 30 minutes (flooding can be prolonged).
As I know battery packs are tested for hermetic sealing with helium leak test process. I have been and seen in the below firm these leak testers being produced for some of the largest companies in this business.

https://www.marposs.com/eng/applicat...ries-batteries
https://www.marposs.com/eng/applicat...lation-chamber
https://www.marposs.com/eng/applicat...niffing-system
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 16:25   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 34
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Any interior images of the Nexon EV Max XZ+ variant? Brochure says Fabric seats and door pads, will they be the same as the regular Nexon EV XZ+?

And any information on production and delivery dates?
nathanjdias is offline  
Old 19th May 2022, 17:23   #90
BHPian
 
das_ren_auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 109
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Autocar has tested the real world efficiency of Max and the results are not that encouragingTata Nexon EV Max Review-tata-nexon-ev-max-watermark.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...plained-424488
das_ren_auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks