Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:46   #976
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Did anybody drive the the diesel manual and happen to have/driven either Ford Ecosport or Figo diesel. How was the Diesel manual's clutch compared to Ford?

Are footsteps on sides provided from factory on all variants?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 3rd August 2022 at 14:11.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:49   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
On a generic note, do not fret much on the reliability/maintenance aspects of mHawk vs. mStallion. Both are good engines and should (time will tell) stand the test of time. Go with what makes you feel better as a driver, and what fits the bill in terms of running expenses.
I own a mHawk 2.2 in 9-10 old Xylo E9 and you can take my word for reliability of this gem of an engine. Has never let me down even a bit. very low maintenance. do the regular oil change and other consumables and it will give you service to its eternity. Just about to touch a lac kms soon, at 99199 right now. Changed the clutch plates at around 78K but they could have still done another 10K.

You drive at 50 in 5th gear and feel the need to accelerate, just push the peddle and those 120 horses will take you easily past 100 without a sweat.. and i am talking of a 10 yr old engine.. no downshifts required.. i just love to listen to the turbo whistle.. in such cases..

Petrol mStallion will obviously be more smoother, peppier & silent with those additional 25-28 horses..A friend owns a petrol AT Thar and is all praises about the engine...
rahulya007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:13   #978
BHPian

Friends, I need your advice on whether to go for Diesel or Petrol.

I have got a booking for Z6 Diesel MT at the moment, but can change the selection before 15th Aug.

My monthly usage will be 500-600Kms max. So logic would dictate I should go for the Petrol Z4 ( Z4 ticks all my requirements interms of features except ESP). This comes at 13.45L.
However, it misses out on ESP (which I am keen on) which is only provided in the AT variant. Z4 Petrol AT is 15.45L and the Diesel AT is 15.95L.

Compared to this, I get the Z6 Diesel MT at 14.99L, which translates to a saving of ~Rs.1.2L on-road. And I get ESP and better mileage = lower fuel costs. Based on my yearly usage and current fuel prices, I will be shelling out Rs.23K extra/year on fuel if I chose Petrol. I have assumed 9kmpl for Petrol and 12 Kmpl for Diesel.

The downside is its a manual but that's not a big issue as it will driven by a driver. Then there is the DPF issue which could be avoided by going for the Z4 Petrol AT. But sounds like manual regen should be a lifesaver if and when it is needed?

So based on the above, do you guys think I should be moving over to Petrol given the low usage or stick with the Diesel variant? Any idea on service cost differences between Diesel and Petrol? Thanks for your inputs in advance.
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:19   #979
BANNED

Does the Scorpio N Diesel (AT or MT) have manually triggered DPF generation feature? Never saw this aspect mentioned in any of the videos so far. Infact, did not see anyone talking about DPF process itself in any of the Scorpio N videos.
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:23   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Did anybody drive the the diesel manual and happen to have/driven either Ford Ecosport or Figo diesel. How was the Diesel manual's clutch compared to Ford?

Diesel Manual clutch is super light. You will feel like driving a petrol car. Yes I have driven both Figo and Ecosport and to me, the clutch felt lighter than the Fords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Has anyone seen the Grand Canyon color in person ?
Not seen in person, but saw a video today that looked like Grand Canyon. See this at 0:04 seconds:

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd August 2022 at 16:55. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
acquillew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:36   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
So based on the above, do you guys think I should be moving over to Petrol given the low usage or stick with the Diesel variant? Any idea on service cost differences between Diesel and Petrol? Thanks for your inputs in advance.
Exact same situation here. With the added NGT sword hanging over Diesel in NCR.

All things considered, I am leaning towards the Z6 Diesel Manual. Here's why:

1 I think ESP is a crucial piece of safety kit for a car this size. I intend to keep the car for its full life of 10 years and don't want to regret missing out on essentials later.

2 Petrol in a car this size = worrying about fuel costs all the time, which i can do without.

3 I don't need the car anytime soon: Z6 deliveries will be the last, after Z8 and Z4.

4 Daily commute includes a good 5+ km of expressway road, so i'm hoping DPF won't be an issue.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2022 at 06:20. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
naru80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:18   #982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Exact same situation here. With the added NGT sword hanging over Diesel in NCR.

All things considered, I am leaning towards the Z6 Diesel Manual. Here's why:

1 I think ESP is a crucial piece of safety kit for a car this size. I intend to keep the car for its full life of 10 years and don't want to regret missing out on essentials later.
Completely agree about ESP being critical. However, considering you are keeping the car for 10 years and the increasingly busy and bumper-to-bumper traffic in our cities, you might want to consider the Z4 AT instead of the Z6 MT. Yes it will be more expensive by a lakh, and miss out a few small features, but your left foot and knee as well as your back would thank you for it in the years to come.
84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 03:40   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
What is the tested mileage of the 4WD Z8L AT Diesel? . I could not find any reliable source of this information anywhere (searched a lot)!
Mate, I did report on the MT 4WD diesel, along with comparisons to the XUV700 and some calculations. Link to FE post in the report:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5360924 (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
2. It's ridiculously easy to drive a Scorpion. I currently drive a GT TSI, and it still never felt as if I was driving a humongous vehicle.

However, no steering feedback is a turn off. I mean, why should an off-roader vehicle feel like a first generation i20? Of course, I am exaggerating a bit here, but the steering is very light and quite vague.
Mate, great to hear someone talk about steering feedback (not heaviness); an aspect which seems to be lost, as more and more people only really experience an EPS (generally with little feedback).

While I too fret at steering feel quite missing in most newer vehicles, and them having an EPS, the answer mate, might lie in your observations itself. A soft EPS is welcomed by most as it is easier around town, and now what people are generally used to and see as newer technology. EPS is also usually cheaper, easier to maintain with lesser mechanical and failing parts as compared to a feedback-friendly HPS, besides being a tad more fuel efficient. The Scorpio-N would anyway likely have issues with FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Also, when the seat can be adjusted to match your comfortable position, i fail to understand why telescopic steering which essentially brings the steering closer to the driver should be missed so much.
... help understand this point a bit.
A sliding seat allows distance adjustment between the seat and both the steering and the pedals combined. Add a telescopic steering and you can adjust the distance between all three, the seat, pedals and the steering. It allows for more body types and proportions to drive the car ergonomically. Not all people of the same height have similar proportions. (eg: I find the headroom lacking in many cars, where people taller than me don't have issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
The Scorpio N Diesel 4WD DO NOT GET ZIP, ZAP, ZOOM. Is there a reason why? How good or bad is this if one goes for the Scorpio N Diesel 4WD option?
The max (zoom) mode is the full power and torque of the engine as specified. The other modes are changing the torque curves (typically lowering/limiting the torque and consequently power) to more fuel efficient setups. In AT, they also change the RPMs at which gears change. In a sense, it is like driving a lower powered car.

Scorpio-N Diesel is already tuned to lower torque and power figures, despite more weight (also unsprung mass, bigger tyres) as compared to an XUV700 leading to significantly lower Torque/tonne in diesel. Further, the 4WD has extra weight and points of friction (using up torque, power), and also added unsprung mass. Further lowering it might not lead to sufficient benefits in FE for it to be meaningful. The development costs of testing and making new torque curve maps, and gear changes too are saved; further the company might also consider buyers paying the premium for 4WD to be less FE sensitive.

Having lower modes of Zip and Zap might also lead to a bad word of mouth of the vehicle being under-powered; also due to people insisting on using lower modes when higher torque is needed. (Note: Lower powered and torque vehicles might successfully work too, but other aspects as gear ratios etc too come into play - is OT)

Non-Scorpio-N specific points (for 4WD use)
Terrain modes too have mappings about when to press brakes for stability, when to change gears, how much difference in slip between wheels triggers what actions by the system electronics, throttle response etc.

Eg: A slight difference in the left and right rear tyres spin speed in sand mode might not be a big deal, whereas in rock mode it would be. In rock mode, one would want the accelerator inputs to translate to a more gradual change in engine response (sudden changes lead to breaking traction). Adding a further layer of Zip and Zap would be needless complication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Looking for thoughts on Petrol vs diesel AT. My running is low (less than 500 kms per month) and I keep my cars for long time.

I took test ride of both and enjoyed the Petrol engine more than diesel. I already have Thar so not looking for 4WD.
I expect it to be significantly lower than the XUV700 especially in stop and go city traffic due to the weight, higher unsprung mass, and bigger tyres; and even so on the highway due to less friendly aerodynamics.

With low usage, it might not bother you, and if you can live with that, I think Petrol would be the one to go for. More power and torque (similar to the XUV700) unlike diesel. You would also have lesser to worry about undemocratic orders from NGT like ones in Delhi had to face, and Kolkatta is under the threat of. If selling well before 10 years, the resale of the Diesel could well be more, but we don't know how electric cars change that over the years (i.e. both might have poor resale).
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 05:17   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post

I own a Petrol Thar Manual and its Clutch travel is a bit long but is light. For ScorpioN, I did not drive it but when I sat in it while checking it in the Showroom; I could feel that the Clutch is a wee bit lighter. The steering is also lighter as it is electric compared to Hydraulic in Thar.

Now the models displayed were Z8 and Z8L. Only Z4 and Z2 get the Hydraulic steering. I think driving Scorpio Z6 and above in the city will be a breeze, both for your arms and left knee (even in stop and go traffic)
Old 4th August 2022, 07:12   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I've booked green. Wife insisted. We've traditionally had red cars. The 2022 thar was an aberration since I got it overnight. Yes, the last 2015 thar was red too. I feel that red was a bit better than the red on offer nowadays.
Could you please tell whether the red shade of the Scorpio N is closer to a solid red like that on the erstwhile VW Polo, or similar to the one on the 2022 Thar?

Last edited by crdi : 4th August 2022 at 07:13.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:58   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

The max (zoom) mode is the full power and torque of the engine as specified. The other modes are changing the torque curves (typically lowering/limiting the torque and consequently power) to more fuel efficient setups. In AT, they also change the RPMs at which gears change. In a sense, it is like driving a lower powered car.
Do you mean that the MT 4WD version is set to Zoom mode?
Old 4th August 2022, 11:22   #987
BHPian

Is the Z2 petrol variant value for money or any other variant recommended. I couldn't find much difference between Z2 and Z4 by saving 1.5+lac from Z4 variant we can spend that money for alloys, seat covers and audio system in Z2 variant.
I am thinking of going for Z2 variant in petrol or am i missing something here.
speedemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 13:18   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
I am thinking of going for Z2 variant in petrol or am i missing something here.
I am also in the same boat. I jumped the gun and booked the Z2 Diesel manual with price protection. I found that to be the most value for money variant
- Except in NCR, diesels are allowed for 15 years minimum. Hence the advantage of longevity that petrol has gets cancelled out
- The Z2 variant does not come with too many safety features, like hill descent control, stability control etc. Hence 200BHP on tap without the safety net is an uncomfortable thing for me. Also, the Z2 diesel comes with a tuned down engine, that according to me will match the lack of safety features and provide better fuel efficiency
- There is a Rs.50,000 difference between the Petrol and Diesel variants. Only taking into consideration the Rs.10 difference in price between the fuels, you should be able to recover the Rs.50,000 after filling 5,000 litres of fuel
- Another point to consider is that I heard Mahindra is going to deliver only the Z8 and Z8L variants this year. The Z2 delivery will get kicked down the road to next year
- Z2 comes with all power windows, steering mounted control for the audio and a touch screen music system, albeit with a smaller screen
- The main points, 4 disc brakes, suspension etc. all get accounted for, there is nothing major that Z2 misses

Knowing Mahindra from the past, the Z2 might become expensive by a lakh or more by the time it gets delivered. With price protection, it's looking like a mouth watering deal

Icing on the cake is Mahindra finance is offering 6% odd interest on the loan if I take one

Worst case scenario, the Z2 can be sold off in a year or 2 without a major hit on depreciation since the price is going to go up in the future
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 13:35   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
With price protection, it's looking like a mouth watering deal

Icing on the cake is Mahindra finance is offering 6% odd interest on the loan if I take one
Quick headsup - Just to avoid surprises and ignore if you are already aware.

Even though price-protection is offered, its only on the ex-showroom pricing and all the other taxes should be paid on the prevailing ex-showroom prices at the time of delivery. This is small hiccup if the deliveries are extended into 2023

The 6.99% ROI from Mahindra Finance is available for deliveries till 31st Dec. Please reconfirm this.
atluri_rkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 14:33   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I am also in the same boat. I jumped the gun and booked the Z2 Diesel manual with price protection. I found that to be the most value for money variant

- The Z2 variant does not come with too many safety features, like hill descent control, stability control etc. Hence 200BHP on tap without the safety net is an uncomfortable thing for me. Also, the Z2 diesel comes with a tuned down engine, that according to me will match the lack of safety features and provide better fuel efficiency
- There is a Rs.50,000 difference between the Petrol and Diesel variants. Only taking into consideration the Rs.10 difference in price between the fuels, you should be able to recover the Rs.50,000 after filling 5,000 litres of fuel

- The main points, 4 disc brakes, suspension etc. all get accounted for, there is nothing major that Z2 misses

Knowing Mahindra from the past, the Z2 might become expensive by a lakh or more by the time it gets delivered. With price protection, it's looking like a mouth watering deal

Worst case scenario, the Z2 can be sold off in a year or 2 without a major hit on depreciation since the price is going to go up in the future

Yes ESC might not be required in case of Z2 which is VFM compared to Z4 MT as price difference is 1.5 lakhs. Also it will return better fuel efficiency and with lesser kerb weight of Scorpio N compared to previous Scorpio, torque to weight will be similar to existing Scorpio. Also depreciation will be lesser comparatively.
VRSriram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks