Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:10   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
There is a video (DDS channel) where the guys took 4EXPLORs to Ladakh and the car was returning 9-10 kmpl in that terrain. We can reach our assumptions going by that number. I am guessing the car should do anything between 10 kmpl (city) to about 13-14 kmpl (highways). But yes, have not come across a video where they put the car to a mileage test.
What is also not clear is the 0-100 acceleration performance of the Diesel AT +4WD. Although Autocar reports 11.23 seconds for the run, this is for 2WD Diesel AT. The Petrol AT is significantly quicker at 10.2 seconds. The additional weight of 4WD gear comes without an increase in power or torque, which would slow down the Diesel 4WD AT by at least 0.5 - 0.75 seconds. I think this variant will end up doing the run in about 12 seconds.

I wish M&M had given the higher state of tune (185HP/450 NM) for the ScorpioN 4WD Diesel AT. They are charging a fat amount over the 2WD of nearly 3 lakhs on-road, they could have easily accommodated the higher engine tune at that price point. This is the kind of power needed to compete in the D Segment, as the Fortuner is already at 200HP/ 500NM torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Stalker View Post

What do you think of the Z2 diesel ? Will the 130 bhp /300 nm torque be a very poor heart for a car of this size ? FE will be the best among all variants without a doubt.
I would not recommend the Z2 or Z4 Diesel MT. The engine will be underpowered for this beast of a car. I have the same engine tune in the Thar and it feels just about adequate. Various tests have reported roughly 13 seconds 0-100 time for the Thar. Now if you add a much bigger body, three rows of seats and all the weight of the metal top (compared to the fibre top of the Thar) it will probably add up to an additional 150 kgs even without considering all the additional passengers and luggage you could have in the ScorpioN. Granted, there is some reduction in weight due to the missing 4WD gear in the Z2/Z4 2WD ScorpioN. Still, it will probably take 15 seconds to hit 100 when fully loaded and will likely end up feeling like the old Bolero in the way it acelerates.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd August 2022 at 09:30.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:36   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wish M&M had given the higher state of tune (185HP/450 NM) for the ScorpioN 4WD Diesel AT. They are charging a fat amount over the 2WD of nearly 3 lakhs on-road, they could have easily accommodated the higher engine tune at that price point. This is the kind of power needed to compete in the D Segment, as the Fortuner is already at 200HP/ 500NM torque.
If you drive the Legender and Scorpio N back to back, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:17   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you drive the Legender and Scorpio N back to back, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised
Are you talking about the ScorpioN Diesel? Are any 0-100 official figures available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
The Scorpio N Diesel 4WD DO NOT GET ZIP, ZAP, ZOOM. Is there a reason why? How good or bad is this if one goes for the Scorpio N Diesel 4WD option?
As I understand, Zip mode is the economy mode for the city; Zap mode is the highway drive mode and Zoom is the sports mode. Zip mode will be the slowest one with better mileage. In the absence of any mode selectors in 4WD models, what is the default mode? I hope it is zap.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:14   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Any experts to help above questions about the AC in Scorpio N?
As far as i have seen & read, it is said the second row AC is a chiller. Third row passengers will not miss the AC vents. I have seen in XUV700 as well that AC in the front also has a very good throw. So combined front and second row AC's should cool the car and the passengers very well. Need to go for a TD again to see the AC performance.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:24   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Any experts to help above questions about the AC in Scorpio N?
I am not an Automotive AC expert. However I will share what I experienced during my last TD.

It was fairly hot and humid on that day in Gurgaon, with intermittent cloud and sunshine. We started the TD at 4:10 PM. Sunset time in Gurgaon is 7:12 pm nowadays. Maximum temp. Of Gurgaon was 33 deg C on 30th July. You can now assume the weather and ambient conditions at the time of the TD.

We were 6 persons on board. The large cabin of Scorpio N was hot and humid from inside due to frequent door operations. The AC was felt inadequate at the beginning. I set the AC temp at 22 deg C for both the front zones. The second row AC control dial was set at 3rd position. After few minutes into TD, I asked the person occupying the 3rd row and he said it was inadequate. At steering I was feeling chilled. After approx 15 minutes from starting I switched over to 2nd row. It was comfortable by that time in second row. 3rd row passenger said it was ok.

It takes time (10-12 minutes) to cool down the entire cabin using both front and rear AC with full capacity on board in the present weather condition. Extrapolate this for Delhi-NCR, Western UP, Rajasthan, Vadodara, part of Maharashtra/ MP/ Chattisgarh/ Odisha/ West Bengal (purulia etc.) where we frequently see 46-47 deg C in April-June.

Last edited by RijuC : 3rd August 2022 at 11:33.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:36   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
What is also not clear is the 0-100 acceleration performance of the Diesel AT +4WD
With all due respect (and I concur with "to each his own" philosophy), not sure if 0-100 km/h runs are the best metric to gauge "performance" for a 2+ ton BOF SUV. These are better left for svelte sedans and power hatches, in my humble opinion.

I'd much rather go by aspects like - how relaxed is the engine while cruising at high speeds, kickdown timings for overtakes on highways, low-end grunt for off-road scenarios, etc. Just my opinion
cool_dube is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:42   #967
BHPian

Looking for thoughts on Petrol vs diesel AT. My running is low (less than 500 kms per month) and I keep my cars for long time.

I took test ride of both and enjoyed the Petrol engine more than diesel. I already have Thar so not looking for 4WD.

Just wanted to get pesrpectives on any other aspects which I may have missed before the window closes to modify. Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:48   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Looking for thoughts on Petrol vs diesel AT
Going by your preferences, usage pattern, and test-drive experience, petrol AT makes perfect sense. The mStallion is a gem of an engine - I have it on my Thar and I simply love it. The only reason one would go for mHawk over it would be fuel expenses, which should not be a concern in your case. Moreover, you will steer clear of the whole DPF mess.
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:05   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Looking for thoughts on Petrol vs diesel AT. My running is low (less than 500 kms per month) and I keep my cars for long time.
Petrol AT it is. We are talking about less than 10000 km a year, so a 100% Petrol AT recommended. I drove both too, and like you, liked the Petrol better. The engine is super smooth at all speeds, gear shifts felt slicker.

Last edited by acquillew : 3rd August 2022 at 12:10. Reason: typo
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:24   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Brother, just trying to understand how the MID is obscured by the steering wheel when the purpose of the tilt steering is to adjust the height of the steering as per your preference to see the speedo behind.
From my driving position, I had to bend my neck to see the gear indicator on MID.
If telescopic steering adjustment is available, I can do following -
I can choose a newer driving position, using various permutations and combinations of steering reach/tilt and 6 way adjustable seat to see the MID in one glance.

Of course my legs cannot become longer now , but the line of sight can definitely be changed depending on seat/steering adjustment.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:26   #971
BHPian

Few questions coming in my mind. Can seniors please help?

1. The torque converter automatic transmission unit offered here for mStallion and mHawk engines- how good are they in long run, after 6 years+ or so? What kind of possible failures, problems, parts or entire replacement requirements prospective buyers need to keep in mind? Is it going to be a similar trouble in future like Skoda/ VW AT or better / worse?

2. What are the technical concerns about this Automatic transmission unit?

3.. Which one is a better combination to drive and to last longer- mStallion+AT or mHawk+AT for Scorpio N? Ms. Renuka in their Autocar drive review in YouTube commented Petrol+AT combination was better than Diesel+AT - why and how?

4. What are the periodic service frequency/ timeline for both mHawk and mStallion variants (Thar and XUV700 owners)?

5. What are the costs for such periodic service/ scheduled maintenance for both the variants?

Last edited by RijuC : 3rd August 2022 at 12:46.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:42   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdB1991 View Post
Will update if I get to take another longer test drive and you never know if the heart rules over the mind.
So I went to the showroom on 1st to check if they can give a longer drive. Though they still said that you can drive onto the demarcated area, talked to the SA I met last time and told him I want to book and finalise either XUV 700 or the Scorpio - N Petrol Top model but only after getting longer drive or going on bad roads to see the comfort of the vehicle. The SA was kind enough to arrange the same for me and though the route was no way longer but it wasn't on the highway and I drove through some bad patches. Here are the observations (please note that I went alone this time to check on them and I can't give the feedback of the second row)

1. Small potholes and bad patches were handled easily by the car. There wasn't much up and down movement that I felt while going through them and while it may not be as good as my current Innova in terms of comfort, but it was good in terms of cabin composure, didn't feel unsettled yet.

2. The drive was with ease, riding on the broken roads in the residential area was not a problem, and faster I went on the potholes, the smoother it felt (though that was only to be judged on TD vehicle and I generally go slow to moderate on broken/uneven roads).

3. There was a patch wherein I did not take the XUV 700 in the last TD, nor my Innova afterwards for comparison as I did not go that far on that patch so I cannot compare as of now, but that patch of road hardly had any proper road left, it was all broken, stones/bricks coming out unevenly, I felt a lot of sideways movement and bodyroll on that patch in the Scoprio. I was going slow, not sure if I would have faced lesser bodyroll at higher speeds, but I maintained low speed as I would have maintained in my normal drive, and it kinda made me move a lot in my seat (I'm tall and heavy built for reference).

4. Someone recently asked about the AC in hot conditions, the temperature that time was about 40 degrees and AC was very effective for the first row, and even the second row AC was on which cooled the cabin quickly and I actually increased the temperature as I was feeling a little cold while driving (for reference, when I turned on the AC of my Innova while leaving from the dealership, it took much more time to cool down the cabin and I had to use higher blower speed too but then again, it's an older vehicle and second row ACs are switched off in my car when there is no one sitting). But overall, the AC for the first two rows of Scorpio is very affective and much better than XUV 700 if compared for the first two rows only.

5. The SA told me that Z8L Petrol AT in Scorpio or XUV 700 AX7L Petrol AT if booked should both be available in 4-5 months of time. So there is no need to worry for people who are looking for top end Petrol variants in terms of waiting times. He also told that the chip issues are getting better and I assume that due to bogus bookings and cross shopping as well as priority of company to deliver the top models now, there should not be an issue with people waiting for 4-5 months.

I went in considering the waiting time would be more than a year, so would have booked either one of these vehicles, though the SA assured me on my asking that if I book both the vehicles, he'll adjust the booking amount of the other vehicle (which I would cancel) with the other vehicle (which I would buy).

Now considering that the waiting time is only 4-5 months, I have decided to hold the booking as of now and thinking if I should continue with the Innova as I love the hassle free ownership and let the initial niggles get sorted or shall I book the car. Mind says XUV 700 but the heart says Scorpio - N (adding to it that lesser electronics might also mean lesser niggles maybe?). Driving would mostly be in city and as a daily drive but real need would arise during rainy seasons and going through occasional bad patches that come due to rains as I would not take out my sedan during the high rainy season.

Would love to hear inputs of other people and how is Mahindra in terms of service and hassle free ownership.

Old 3rd August 2022, 12:56   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
With all due respect (and I concur with "to each his own" philosophy), not sure if 0-100 km/h runs are the best metric to gauge "performance" for a 2+ ton BOF SUV. These are better left for svelte sedans and power hatches, in my humble opinion.

I'd much rather go by aspects like - how relaxed is the engine while cruising at high speeds, kickdown timings for overtakes on highways, low-end grunt for off-road scenarios, etc. Just my opinion
Absolutely. We are not buying this vehicle for racing but for its features, comfort and capabilities. I heard AT does more composed lower rpm running for same speed when compared to MT.

For off-road, it is recommended to switch to the manual mode with 2 gears. That's what the Mahindra guys told when the media team was doing the off-road test.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 3rd August 2022 at 13:04. Reason: added text
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:59   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The torque converter automatic transmission unit offered here for mStallion and mHawk engines- how good are they in long run, after 6 years+ or so? What kind of possible failures, problems, parts or entire replacement requirements prospective buyers need to keep in mind? Is it going to be a similar trouble in future like Skoda/ VW AT or better / worse?
These are from Aisin, the manufacturer that supplies to Toyota. Should be utterly reliable. Do not even compare these to the DSGs on VAG cars

Quote:
What are the technical concerns about this Automatic transmission unit?
None that I am aware of, as yet

Quote:
Which one is a better combination to drive and to last longer- mStallion+AT or mHawk+AT for Scorpio N? Ms. Renuka in their Autocar drive review in YouTube commented Petrol+AT combination was better than Diesel+AT - why and how?
Not sure about the Scorpio-N but I have driven both diesel AT and petrol AT combinations on the Thar, and I found the latter to be smoother and more pleasant to drive. As for longevity - only time will tell

Quote:
What are the periodic service frequency/ timeline for both mHawk and mStallion variants (Thar and XUV700 owners)?
1 yr or 10,000 km, whichever is earlier - applies to both engines

Quote:
What are the costs for such periodic service/ scheduled maintenance for both the variants?
Regular service (oil/oil filter change) is quite nominal for my Thar - in the range of INR 4-5K per service

On a generic note, do not fret much on the reliability/maintenance aspects of mHawk vs. mStallion. Both are good engines and should (time will tell) stand the test of time. Go with what makes you feel better as a driver, and what fits the bill in terms of running expenses.

Last edited by cool_dube : 3rd August 2022 at 13:08. Reason: Corrected quotes
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:14   #975
BHPian

Since people asked for the colors in real life...
Shot with an S22 ultra without any touch up.
Black, green, and then red in the mirror.

The green was a bit greener in person. The red was actually quite nice. Black mirrors the paint quality of my Thar.

P. S. - I've booked green. Wife insisted. We've traditionally had red cars. The 2022 thar was an aberration since I got it overnight. Yes, the last 2015 thar was red too. I feel that red was a bit better than the red on offer nowadays.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220801_131926.jpg

Last edited by wooka : 3rd August 2022 at 13:17.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks