Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2023, 15:17   #1156
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
How is the gearshifts on your automatic hybrid variants? Mine feels notchy when I move from P mode to D.
D to N is fine though and vice-versa.
moving from P is bit jerky initially but after driving for some kms its fine, on long drives no issues in moving into any gear.
aks812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 15:39   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
How is the gearshifts on your automatic hybrid variants? Mine feels notchy when I move from P mode to D.
D to N is fine though and vice-versa.
I'm not a Hyryder or any Hybrid car user.

See if this helps(if you are not already doing this),
Moving to P - Engage the hand brake, release the main brake, move to P and then turn off the engine. (If the car is not on inclines and not going to move, then you can release the main brake first, engage the hand brake and move to P)
Moving from P - Move out of P before releasing the hand brake.

In my cars I do not use P at all unless on inclines. I just move between RND. I park in in neutral and engage handbrake like in a manual car.
Old 2nd August 2023, 09:46   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
I'm not a Hyryder or any Hybrid car user.

On my cars I do not use P at all unless on inclines. I just move between RND. I park in in neutral and engage handbrake like in a manual car.
Ok, will try your method and see if anything changes. Also, for short time it's fine for the hybrid to move from D to N and back but if we put the car on N for a longer period of time, the battery will deplete to zero and the car has to be towed. I already got the low battery error once so I try to completely ignore the N gear.
shikh_oberoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 13:15   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, will try your method and see if anything changes. Also, for short time it's fine for the hybrid to move from D to N and back but if we put the car on N for a longer period of time, the battery will deplete to zero and the car has to be towed. I already got the low battery error once so I try to completely ignore the N gear.
I would caution against not using the P. It's there for a reason and keeps the transmission locked just in case there is some issue with the hand brake.

What works for me is that you need to press the brake hard and this smoothens the transition from P to R or D.

Typical way to park -Engage the hand brake and then shift to P. This way you will put less pressure on the pin.

Reverse, move out of P and then release the hand brake with foot on the main brake.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 12:25   #1160
BHPian

Had my 10k service done last month and it cost me 4.5k.

Here are a few key observations:
  • Mileage has been great.
    My daily route is 25% city, 75% highway. And i drive between 50- 80Km/H for about 40kms one way so total 80kms a day.
    Lowest i ever got was 21.9 in the most horrid Delhi jams and rains all week long.
    I normally get 25-26 with AC on and just switching between power modes. I keep it on normal mode mostly as ECO mode reduces AC performance. I refill every time I reach 3 bars of fuel (about 10-12 days)

• Ground clearance has been god sent post rains. Didn't scratch once down there even in unavoidable deepest pits of hell of Gurgaon and Delhi. Suspension is super comfortable so far.

• Build quality has been satisfactory. The service center has helped a lot by installing those NVH kits and eliminated all random noises from the cabin.

• NVH levels are great. I only hear the Generator if it's running while the car is moving at low speeds. It shuts up and it's all silent again. It also depends on the quality of the road. There's one section where the road noise is virtually zero. Other times it's good enough to be with my thoughts or drown the rest of it with music on 6-8 volume. Power train is silent and can't tell when it switches between battery and engine. Transmission is also amazing. No jerks and very controlled and well calibrated at low speeds.

• It is important to let go of the accelerator in a hybrid car and I can't emphasize on it enough. The less you break, the more you get rewarded. Let it roll to a stop before red lights and approaching speed breakers. Let go of accelerator to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. Let go of the accelerator on down hills and flyovers.
    I've been doing this and I manage to charge the battery up to 3-4 bars and get trip mileages of 27-28km/L.

• The issues and concerns of "mosquito net" film are absolutely invalid. I've only ever seen such complaints from owners with a darker color car, which absorbs more light and traps more heat. I was never once bothered with any sunlight or shadows getting through, in fact the cabin is well lit to not be distracting and dark enough to maintain privacy and temperature, thanks to the green tinted glasses.

It doesn't get hotter than any other car parked directly under the sun for 7 hours a day, and when it does get hot in 40°C+ days, the AC is good enough to quickly cool it down in 5-10 minutes on just 1st or 2nd fan speed. I keep it at 24-26°C. Ventilated seat is also turned on while coming back home around 4pm.

• TPMS, 360° camera and ventilated seats have been life saving and priceless features for me.

• Sound system is great. I just feel that the highs could be a little more clearer if you were to increase the bass. I played around with its settings and my Rock and pop music have been quite nice to listen to.

• Biggest concern is with back seats as I feel they're too upright and they could've reclined them more. Headroom has had no complaints.

• Wipers are not good. They made a lot of sound since day 1 and i had them fixed up a bit on my 10k service. They leave streaks behind most of the times.

• Headlights are good at night and in remote areas with no street lights I could see every thing with high beams.

• Side view mirrors are quite small. So I purchased those circular blind spot mirrors off amazon and they have been game changing. I installed one on top left corner of the right mirror with the ball joint it comes with and it has been my favorite mod. Merging on highways and switching lanes is not stressful and dangerous to me anymore.

• Rear view mirror could be a little more zoomed in. There was this issue where the sensor wasn't sensitive enough and would blind me with high beams. I later realized that the raised back seat headrest cast a shadow on the sensor causing it to not react to the bright light.
  • Minor, but i really wish it came with the Blue Toyota logo that they have on their higher end hybrid cars. Anyone have a link for a sticker?

It's a great car and an amazing package overall.
There are bigger cars available in the same price range, but would i choose them over the Hyryder? Absolutely not.

Last edited by tjsi : 6th August 2023 at 12:33.
tjsi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 23:39   #1161
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Hyryder AWD from a Duster AWD owner's perspective.

The Duster AWD is a thing of the the past now. Though the Compass AWD will be the perfect upgrade or replacement of the Duster AWD, we can't be sure of the future of diesel cars in India.
Thanks for this - One important question.
I checked the pics and found something peculiar which I might need in my next machine.

It shows " Apollo Apterra Cross" with M+S sign.

Is it that all Apterra cross tires are M+S or did Toyota get into an exclusive partnership with Apollo to modify the Apterra Cross for them ... because I don't see Apollo advertising that Apterra Cross are Mud and Snow tyres.
Old 8th August 2023, 15:14   #1162
BHPian

Anybody can help with Toyota sales team /management email contact. I am in the same booking queue slot for the last 5 months and the dealer is clueless even though i don't have any colour preference. I feel something fishy.
Old 9th August 2023, 10:38   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi. Anyone knows the size of wiper blades? My Hyryder blades make a lot of noise on either extremes. Anyone faced this issue? Thinking of Bosch aerotwins.
Just for info changed my wipers to HOD, Tornado Flex. The original ones weren't that good. The size is 24" and 16".
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 13:49   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Anybody can help with Toyota sales team /management email contact. I am in the same booking queue slot for the last 5 months and the dealer is clueless even though i don't have any colour preference. I feel something fishy.
What was the delivery timeline promised to you? 6 months/1 year or higher? I myself had booked last December and promised delivery within 6 months. From January 2023 onwards new bookings would have to do a 1 year wait, as the dealership. I am flexible with color option, but I guess all colors have got a long queue.

I did receive a call from Toyota during July, apologizing for non delivery even after the promised timeline. Other than that there is not much progress seen.
Old 9th August 2023, 16:48   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
What was the delivery timeline promised to you? 6 months/1 year or higher?
Was told 6 months if i don't opt for white or black. So i asked SA to put a colour which don't have a large queue. I was told silver and cave black have the least waiting periods. I booked in March 23, and since then there is no change in queue .
I dont know if it ever get delivery and when asked why there is no movement in the queue , I was told that colour is not being shipped now.
Old 9th August 2023, 18:54   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Just for info changed my wipers to HOD, Tornado Flex. The original ones weren't that good. The size is 24" and 16".
I'm also looking to go for frameless wipers. How is the performance? Will order a pair as soon as you give me a green light.
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 10:12   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
I'm also looking to go for frameless wipers. How is the performance? Will order a pair as soon as you give me a green light.
Will let you know. Unfortunately hasn't rained since I have purchased the new wipers

Loving my car. Barring the loud engine noise of the 3 pot and the inefficient roof liner, everything is good.

Brakes could be better. My Yaris had much better bite and were more confidence inspiring. I have been caught in a couple of tricky situations where I had to stand on the pedal to make the car stop. I even rear ended once as you all know. Now I know that I have to break early.

Have been getting an overall average of 22 kpl overall. Driven 13,000 Kms so far in 7 months. No long trips till date.
Old 12th August 2023, 21:04   #1168
BHPian

Got me a pair of frameless wipers.
DHC DH-555 24" and 16" from Elegant Kar Accessories at total ₹900 for the pair.

They're 10 times better than what the car originally came with.

Zero streaks.
They're quieter than the regular ones.
They have a bit of red in between which looks really nice and the exterior look is very low profile.
I originally wanted the Bosch aerotwins but couldn't find them anywhere in the proper size and price.
Made a super short video of the experience on my channel.

tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 15:57   #1169
BHPian

I recently did a Delhi-Ranthambore return journey. The expressway was magnificent. Speed limit was 120 and i did accelerate like I would in any diesel car.
Average FE on highway was 16.4. This was shocking to me. Even on cruise control set at 118kmph (eco mode), the FE was close to 16.
When driven very patiently between 90-110, the FE did increase a touch.
The thing which I believe has affected FE:
1. There was hardly any breaking required. It was mostly acceleration and deceleration (while not pressing the accelerator)
2. I did occasionally break the highway speed limit. There were some bouts of quick acceleration.
3. Car was mostly run on ICE and hardly on EV on the expressway.

Last edited by smilingakash : 16th August 2023 at 16:17.
Old 16th August 2023, 16:13   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
I recently did a Delhi-Ranthambore return journey. The expressway was magnificent. Speed limit was 120 and i did accelerate like I would in any diesel car.
Average FE on highway was 16.4. This was shocking to me. Even on cruise control set at 118kmph (eco mode), the FE was close to 16.
When driven very patiently between 90-110, the FE did increase a touch.
The thing which I believe has affected FE:
1. There was hardly any breaking required. It was mostly acceleration and deceleration (while not pressing the accelerator)
2. I did occasionally broke the highway speed limit. There were some bouts of quick acceleration.
3. Car was mostly run on ICE and hardly on EV on the expressway.
16kmpl is fairly decent at a maintained 120kmph considering there is zero role of the hybrid system at such speeds, and the vehicle is effectively like a pure petrol car.

The benefits of the strong hybrid are only in urban settings.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks