Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2022, 20:00   #91
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Very nice and detailed review as always! Going through the comments majority say, lack of boot space and that indeed is a valid point. If a car cannot provide decent practicality, then it should be a supercar. You can't play in the middle ground by introducing tech and gizmos. It may attract media attention initially with extended coverage on mileage and hybrid tech etc. but will not sustain in the log run. I am sure there is scope for improvement in the coming generations of this car by introducing better iterations where it currently short sells.
ags82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 20:23   #92
BHPian

If I were in the market I'd get the mild hybrid Suzuki version over the Toyota one. Except the badge, it's the exact same car and Suzuki Nexa has excellent service centers. I don't understand Toyota badge engineering Suzukis; they are diluting their own brand.
Old 29th August 2022, 20:35   #93
BHPian

Here is a good review from Sirish Chandran of EVO India:

He is going little soft on Hyryder, saying 300liters of boot space, now I am hoping mild hybrid may be closer to 400litres.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 20:35   #94
BHPian

Why are they still using the almost 15 years old power window switches? I thought that, since this is supposed to be orginally a Toyota product, the interiors would be nicer.

Also, I think the average performance compared to the competition might affect the sales despite the S/T badge. From what I've seen till now, atleast in my state, buyers in this segment do care a bit about performance and when they do back to back test drives of the Hyryder/GV vs a Seltos or Creta, and they realise that the engine is a dud compared to the 1.4 turbo and also not as refined as the 1.5 NA, that might shift some of the potential sales to the Korean players.

Ofcourse, I could be entirely wrong and maybe buyers in this segment are also similar to the ones below it. I thought the Punch wouldn't sell well because of the engine, but it's selling well, contrary to my predictions.

Last edited by SaiSW : 29th August 2022 at 20:39.
Old 29th August 2022, 21:10   #95
BHPian

Thanks for the great attention to detail as always.
Regarding the rear seat vent for cooling the batteries, I wonder how functional it would be; if someone sits in the rear seat obstructing those vents (may be spreading out a turkey towel or a saree pallu) or may be the AC isn't switched on, would it heat them up or warn the driver? And the other thought that comes up is those vents pulling cool air would mean the AC is rather more powerful to take the extra load? I did note the compressor in here is an electric drive.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 21:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
He's expecting the full hybrid to be 18-19 lacs ex showroom... That can send buyers into frenzy I think...
Old 29th August 2022, 22:40   #97
BHPian

The car looks a promising option for urban commute in areas like the NCR where diesel cars are bearing the brunt of NGT. However Toyota mustn't get too greedy with the price - the 3 cylinder engine is a downer as it is. It would be really interesting to know the maintenance costs, especially of the strong hybrid battery. Does it need to be changed after a few years, and the associated costs involved.
Old 29th August 2022, 23:08   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Barring the brown shade, the interiors look a deja vu from S-Cross.
Struggling to see any sort of similarities between the two!

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-dsc04805.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-2022toyotaurbancruiserhyryder01.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:02   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
I believe the separate coolant circuit is just for the power electronics, electric motor and generator only. The hybrid battery pack at the rear of the car may only be relying on the cooling vent on the rear seat alone. If there is a dedicated cooling circuit for the hybrid battery, what is the need for this small vent? What happens if rain water enters this duct (door opened for longer duration in torrential rain), or gets obstructed by any other means (a kid thrusts candy wrapper into the vent)?
Yes it was a typo. The cooling is not for the battery pack but for the power electronics module that manage the high power electronics inside the engine bay.

The battery is cooled using the blower fan inside the battery enclosure in the boot.

The vent is there to aid in cooling. It is not open to the battery pack. There is a filter there that needs cleaning and replacement. Hence water to enter there is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Thanks for the great attention to detail as always.
Regarding the rear seat vent for cooling the batteries, I wonder how functional it would be; if someone sits in the rear seat obstructing those vents (may be spreading out a turkey towel or a saree pallu) or may be the AC isn't switched on, would it heat them up or warn the driver? And the other thought that comes up is those vents pulling cool air would mean the AC is rather more powerful to take the extra load? I did note the compressor in here is an electric drive.
The vent is sunk in and can't be blocked easily. There is a proper fan blower behind that vent that sucks air so it's not that easy to block.

You have to remember that Toyota has this vent in all their Hybrids globally. The Camry and Prius have similar vents and the Honda City Hybrid has the exact same vent as well.

The main purpose is to have good air circulation around the battery pack.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:37   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The main purpose is to have good air circulation around the battery pack.
I'm planning to buy the strong hybrid variant V. I do have a dog who sheds a lot. Any foreseen issue with the fur getting stuck in the air vents or front ventilated seats?
Old 30th August 2022, 10:54   #101
srh
BHPian

All the reviews seem ok. The vehicle seems to be designed & configured like a typical Maruti - jack of all & master of none. It should wean away a lot of potential fuel efficiency conscious Creta customers whose monthly mileage is significant.
Old 30th August 2022, 11:31   #102
BHPian

I like the car. It has good, smart looks and the wheel arches make it seem like it will take rough roads easily. The seats seem nice which is something the Japanese do very well. Reliability will be a given and FE and maintenance could bring in good sales.

One of the reasons Toyota ventured with Maruti is access to the supply chain. Its time they also upgrade the quality and feel of the components. They could use them in premium vehicles different from the Maruti ones.
Old 30th August 2022, 12:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vqiYO89du-M
Are the reviewers paid to ONLY talk about FE?

0 - 100 in 13+ with a single occupant is strictly ok for in city driving. In Mumbai, within 5 kms of Bandra there is the Sea-Link and Eastern Expy both of which need speeds of 70-100 kmph. Also, the most common weekend get-aways are Lonavala/Pune and Nashik. On both those Highways the Hyrider will struggle to overtake with the family and luggage.

Finally, will we see the return of the CARRIERS . Remember the Amby and Fiat Taxis with top mounted luggage? Will Thule and others be back in business? Is it time to go retro ...
Old 30th August 2022, 12:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Great review guys.

Pondering on this - Toyota cars (especially in India) end up being the favorite option for taxi operators; and for obvious reasons. This feels and will probably run like a Maruti over the longer run; and given the small boot size, I wonder how this will fare in that market.
Adding my 2 cents here. A 20 lakh + rupee 4-seater car will be a difficult sell to fleet operators. Even if the car returns 20+ km/l it is still expensive than CNG in both cost of acquisition + running expense. FYI, the Innova is an exception in this.

I might as well get a pair of Ertiga CNGs and use them as a 5 seater. One Ertiga CNG in commercial spec will be sub 11 lakh here in Mumbai.

Yes, there is the debate of CNG availability and all, but honestly speaking my cars do inter state trips everyday and it's not an issue. And most cabbies operate within the city where CNG is available in plenty. For routes where there is no CNG (or diesel is not allowed), most fleet operators will prefer diesel cars or bill the clients for petrol cars.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:24   #105
Senior - BHPian

My overall view of the hyryder.

Fundamentals

Power - adequate with practical torque at low end due to ev motor support
Ride comfort - most reviews seems to be pointing to good ride comfort.
Dynamics - good as per most reviews.
Seating comfort - good as per most reviews.
Practicality - poor for long drives thanks to that boot that 'puts to shame' vehicles 2 classes below the hyryder
Safety - Suzuki global c platform and 6 airbags with esp abs is confidence inspiring even though a crash test is still pending.

What i don't like about the hyryder

1. The 3 cylinder engine and the associated NVH factor.

What makes it a sure no go

1. The boot space or the lack of it. Sorry Toyota. After decades of experience in hybrids and having solved the boot space issue years ago, i expected a better attempt from you.

Factors that i don't care much

I don't care about the panoramic sunroof or the ventilated seats which the hyryder is equipped with.
I can live with lesser power for environmental reasons.

I'll give the hyryder a pass.i hope with the Innova hycross , the same boot space mistake is not repeated.

Last edited by amalji : 30th August 2022 at 12:26.
amalji is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks