Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 00:48   #436
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Completed Hyd --> Pune --> Hyd trip in the first week of Jan. Maintained steady speeds of 80-90 kmph through out the journey. The FE as per ecosense was 19.9kmpl enroute Pune and 19.4 enroute Hyd. The ODO was at 9994 at the end of the trip. Went in for 2nd service at 10002 kms. The 2nd free service costed Rs. 4950/- for Engine oil change, oil filter, HVAC filter and rear differential oil. I need to get the tires rotated, WA and WB done. The steering is peeling at the mould joint line which I have brought to the attention of my service advisor. He said that he will report it to M&M and get back to me regarding the steering wheel replacement. I have also observed that the seat height does drop down to 0 level by itself on long drives. The service center has been notified of this issue as well but they havent responded positively on this issue as they were not able to replicate it. However, they have asked me to keep them informed if this issue is observed again. Another niggle that I have noticed is that the cruise control sometimes does not engage for about 2-3 mins after starting the drive. Its BAU after the initial 2-3 mins. The ECU was flashed as per a service update during the 2nd service. Lets see if this issues is addressed.
Overall, happy with the RWD Thar over the last 11 months of ownership. The avg FE for 10k kms as per MID was 16.9kmpl. Tankful method calcs came out to be 14.5kmpl.
Old 18th January 2024, 12:45   #437
BHPian

Hi Guys, I turned lucky this Christmas! Went to the nearest Mahindra showroom ( this must have been my fourth visit) to enquire, yet again about the waiting period of the Rwd petrol AT. Was told a customer whose Thar had come was travelling abroad & hence an Aquamarine was available pronto. Long story short- went to their yard, did a quick PDI, transfered the full payment and here I am on Jan 7, a gleaming new Thaneri (aka Puneri) 😃
rxpaul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 22:29   #438
BHPian

How much would a CT cost ? Though am really happy with my HT as the car is my daily driver but it is always home to work and both places the car is behind the gate.

I would love to drive top down sometimes especially cool evenings and mornings though Agra has extreme weather.

Most members advise against removing factory fitted HT
Old 21st January 2024, 05:09   #439
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
Most members advise against removing factory fitted HT
Indeed the convertible looks lovely and the cool quotient is really up there. But once you remove this factory fitted hard top, it is almost impossible to put it back on again at a dealer workshop, with the same level of precision as compared to the factory.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 17:55   #440
BHPian

How much will a new Convertible Top cost including the mechanism, fabric and labour incase we want to remove HT and fit the CT ?

Has anyone done it ?
Old 25th January 2024, 00:37   #441

AC HUMMING ISSUE

I have A RWD Diesel. Just had the first inspection done at 800kms. I’ve been hearing a Humming sound when i turn on the AC.
I’ve raised a complaint at the service centre but they taking a lot of time to find if this is abnormal.

Can any other RWD owner confirm if they hear any such humming noise when turning On the AC?

Old 25th January 2024, 00:55   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
How much will a new Convertible Top cost including the mechanism, fabric and labour incase we want to remove HT and fit the CT ?

Has anyone done it ?
Can be done, not a big deal. Here are the parts you'll need -

https://oriparts.com/4/1032/76554/4180822

and

https://oriparts.com/4/1032/76554/4180823
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 01:44   #443
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One 2023 Thar RWD Diesel owner and one 2024 Thar diesel 4WD owner were not very happy with their stock suspension setup and contacted me via the Mahindra showroom salesman regarding the AVO suspension.
I contacted Karna Kadur of Arka Motorsports, Coimbatore who do the suspensions and was informed that they are out of stock and new stocks are expected by end of March, early April.
Just for information
Cheers

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 5th February 2024 at 01:44. Reason: Correction
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 21:17   #444
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi
I recently did an up/down trip to Bengaluru and back. Accompanyimg me was, as usual, my 80 year old mother. Leaving Erode at 3:00 am, we reached my house at Lakeshore garden, Thindlu by 7:40 am. No traffic anywhere as it was a Sunday and the timing helped.

We left the next day (Monday) at 5:00 am and took our customary breakfast break at Murugan Idly, Krishnagiri. We reached Erode by 9:40 am. Flawless performance by the Thar
and i went to work by 11 am. 610 kms on the Tripmeter with 19 kmpl on the MID. I did not push the vehicle anywhere and it was very leisured, un hurried sort of drive but did very good time.
Attatched few pictures of the Thar and one picture of Idly/vada at Murugan Idly.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_20240212_070816.jpg  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_20240212_070714.jpg  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_20240212_070648.jpg  

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img_20240212_071336.jpg  

rajeevsulu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:31   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Not even a single RWD has been delivered at Pondicherry
Hi Crazyjeeperk,

Hope you got your vehicle delivered by now? I have been waiting for an update from you. Because, I am also from Pondicherry (Auroville) and I have made a booking recently (on 16th November 2023). The estimated delivery date as given by Mahindra is April 30, 2025, but the dealer has promised to deliver in six months, ie. sometime by mid May 2024.
Has the waiting period all over in general increased or reduced? Present status please!
Note:
In another 44 days I'll be 64. Eagerly awaiting to lay my hands on my THAR.
jgsolo27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:59   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi Crazyjeeperk,

Hope you got your vehicle delivered by now? I have been waiting for an update from you. Because, I am also from Pondicherry (Auroville) and I have made a booking recently (on 16th November 2023). The estimated delivery date as given by Mahindra is April 30, 2025, but the dealer has promised to deliver in six months, ie. sometime by mid May 2024.
Has the waiting period all over in general increased or reduced? Present status please!
Note:
In another 44 days I'll be 64. Eagerly awaiting to lay my hands on my THAR.
Sadly I am still waiting for my thar to be alloted . Dealer will say nice stories to make you book and after that u will be never be followed up and no use in escalating to Mahindra too. I feel they are partner in crime with the dealer
Old 15th February 2024, 00:04   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Sadly I am still waiting for my thar to be alloted . Dealer will say nice stories to make you book and after that u will be never be followed up and no use in escalating to Mahindra too. I feel they are partner in crime with the dealer
Please keep following up with the assigned sales associate. Call him/her every week and show him your eagerness to get your hands on one.. I'm sure your dealership has ordered cars to sell in the open market at a premium (added accesories, insurance, finance, etc). Let them know you are willing to go for M&M finance. They will surely figure out a way to allot one to you within a month's time. The payment you have done for your booking can be adjusted towards the vehicle being sold to you..
Old 26th April 2024, 20:20   #448
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I've been looking for highway terrain tyres for my Thar for over a year now (mostly internet research). My usage is 80% on decent tarmac, 18% on relatively broken roads, and 2% on no roads (jungle and farm trails, lakeside pathway).

Story so far: My stock tyres
The MRF Wanderers I received as stock have been ok. Got a puncture in Bangalore, got it repaired at Puncture Man, and was sorted. But, on the first day on my way to Kolkata over three days, the puncture resurfaced on the Tirupati Bypass. Replaced the wheel by myself with my spare, and proceeded through the trip on 4 functional tyres and anxiety (time was of the essence). At Kolkata, again got the same puncture repaired at Puncture Man, and have kept the tyre as a spare so far.

What does this have to do with my decision to opt for HT Tyres?
I consulted with several experienced tyre repairers, tyre shop owners, and technicians from tyre mfg companies. All of them agreed that due to the more irregular tread patterns of the AT tyres, the frictional heat produced during prolonged on-road use is about 30-35% more. This often makes puncture repairs go kaput, and fast. Plus, HT Tyres have certain advantages for my use-case, as you'll read below.

HT Tyres good enough?
Again, according to the folks I spoke to, absolutely! Better on-road manners, enough traction to get you through most nominal rough-roads, and improved NVH are all points in the favour of the HT.
Now, considering my usage pattern mentioned above, HT tyres seem like the right way to go.

Which HT Tyres?
The million dollar question! My over-a-year-long research has been in vain. Saw a video online that showed the Thar with the JK Ranger HT Tyres [, but on scouring the internet and asking dealers, turns out JK Tyres has stopped manufacturing R18 tyres altogether (anything beyond 215 is unavailable).

Got a hold of Apollo Vredestein-Pinza HT with a slight upsize (265/65R18), but these seem more like performance oriented tyres, than for slightly rougher use on proper SUVs. Also, their price is slightly steep (yep, therefore Contis and Yokos and Michels would seem pricey to me too, provided the desired size is available).

Haven't found any AT tyres with significant road bias in this size either.

Plus, the Thar's stock tyre size (and even slight upsizes) seems a little odd for HT products, with very few players manufacturing it at all.

Call for help!
Folks, I request inputs from you to help me navigate this conundrum. Would be greatly obliged!

Thanks in advance, and happy motoring!

TTT
Old 27th April 2024, 03:05   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorTheThar View Post
Gentlemen,

Call for help!
Folks, I request inputs from you to help me navigate this conundrum. Would be greatly obliged!

Thanks in advance, and happy motoring!

TTT
Option 1- https://www.tyremarket.com/JK-Tyre-R...111-H-Car-Tyre
Option 2 - https://www.tyremarket.com/Apollo-Ap...114-H-Car-Tyre

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks