Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 09:36   #451
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hot_punto View Post

He is yet to get the vehicle back. Can someone suggest what guarantee he should get from the Tatas before he takes the delivery? Whether it should be in writing?
You can ask for a written technical explanation for why the transmission failed in the way it failed and clarification over whether it's a design flaw or manufacturing flaw.

They are never going to give it in writing that the same failure will not reoccur without any caveats that protect themselves.

Mind you, any explanation from Tata is going to be vague and useless. Just take the car back and hope for the best.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 2nd April 2024 at 09:37.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:58   #452
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Now the big questions below:
1. What would have been the consequence if the acceleration failure had creeped in right at the time of overtaking with another vehicle approaching from the opposite side in high speed.
2. Considering my friend is a newbie, how he would have handled such critical failure during uphill ascent.
3. How confidently he can overtake in the future even if gets the vehicle repaired
4. How trustworthy is Tata when it comes to reliability
5. Can someone think of night drives after such a harsh experience.
6. Is the problem unique with DCAs alone and is not mature and reliable enough.
7. How long has DCA technology been in use worldwide
8. Can something similar happen with the manuals from Tata

He is yet to get the vehicle back. Can someone suggest what guarantee he should get from the Tatas before he takes the delivery? Whether it should be in writing?

Highly appreciate any suggestion regarding the matter.
I sympathize for your friend. Unfortunately the general public isn't aware of the plethora of issues popping up in these new age Tata vehicles and fall prey to it.

My inline answers-

1,2,3,4,5- So much for being a 5 star rated car. If 1 or 2 happens, nothing can save one from an unfortunate event. Considering so many auto transmission failures in Tata vehicles this can be extremely dangerous.

6,7- DCA is nothing but a dual clutch transmission unit. It is similar to DCT/DSG etc. being used in some other brands. While most Dual clutch units are Dry clutch in <40 L cars, to keep the costs low, Tata went ahead and employed a Wet clutch unit. This had the promise of low failures since the primary issue with a dry clutch unit is that it heats up in bumper to bumper traffic scenarios and frequent driving in such conditions can cause malfunctions. VW-Skoda DSG units are the most notorious in such conditions while there have been a few reports of issues in Hyundai-Kia Dual clutch units.

However, these transmissions do give some warning before hand in instrument cluster (that the transmission temp is high, atleast I have observed in Hyundai-Kia), before failing. IMO Tata is not able to integrate the transmission unit well enough since there have been issues reported in Tata's Harrier and Safari, which use a Hyundai sourced AISIN gearbox which is a traditionally reliable Torque converter unit.

8- Manuals are the best transmissions from reliability POV. But these can fail if improper driving habits are at cause.

You could ask for the reasons for failure in writing, but I don't think you can get it. I will instead suggest pushing for additional extended warranty.

Last edited by 07CR : 2nd April 2024 at 11:00.
07CR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:00   #453
BHPian

Quote:

Now the big questions below:
1. What would have been the consequence if the acceleration failure had creeped in right at the time of overtaking with another vehicle approaching from the opposite side in high speed.
2. Considering my friend is a newbie, how he would have handled such critical failure during uphill ascent.
3. How confidently he can overtake in the future even if gets the vehicle repaired
4. How trustworthy is Tata when it comes to reliability
5. Can someone think of night drives after such a harsh experience.
6. Is the problem unique with DCAs alone and is not mature and reliable enough.
7. How long has DCA technology been in use worldwide
8. Can something similar happen with the manuals from Tata

Highly appreciate any suggestion regarding the matter.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It is good that you reached back safely.
Loss of power on highways can be very dangerous especially if you’re not in the middle or left lane. Average speeds of other vehicles and trucks are high.
There are multiple reports, and dedicated social media posts, about the dual clutch transmission failures on Altroz. Even Hyundai/KIA vehicles fitted with DCTs have failed. Dual clutch transmissions have been around for some time but failure reports are more common than what’s seen in Manual or Torque Converter automatics. DSG is also a form of dual clutch transmission and you can read the failure threads on this forum - it is almost a given that an expensive repair will have to be done if you purchase a used Škoda or VW with such a transmission. Hence, resale values of such cars are lower as compared to what’s expected.

In general, Tata cars are not very reliable long term because some electronic part always fails. My Nano’s music system failed recently. Neighbor has a Harrier Black Edition in which the infotainment failed. In a Hexa belonging to a family member, the AC lights don’t work anymore. You can find so many stories from owners lamenting the unreliability of Tata cars over the long term.

The company is not very responsible when it comes to quality. Their people don’t respect customers - they want the revenue and invest in their Sales team and infrastructure. But they are smart and know that very few customers will make a repeat purchase- so they let the service centres, which have some excellent technical people, take the blame for the management’s incompetence.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 2nd April 2024 at 12:06.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:31   #454
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hello Folks,
Can someone suggest what guarantee he should get from the Tatas before he takes the delivery? Whether it should be in writing?
What guarantee are you talking about? Going by the number of issues with new Tatas in our very own forum, it's clear that they're not able to "guarantee" a "niggle-free" new car. Forget about an already "broke down"/lemon car.

Since he has gone ahead with the purchase after all the known nuances of owning a Tata, am sure he is not very surprised and has already factored these experiences!
Sk8r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:11   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
1,2,3,4,5- So much for being a 5 star rated car.
I have always maintained and repeated a few times on this forum - that structural safety and active+passive safety systems can do only so much. Failure of a critical system like this while overtaking or navigating a turn is equally unsafe. Leaving me & family stranded in the middle of nowhere at night is equally unsafe. Reliability is an important component of safety and also, the mental health of the owner.

Choose your cars wisely.
naikameya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:49   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Folks,

I'm going to tell about "Abrupt, automatic transition of drive mode from Drive to Neutral when new Nexon facelift 2K24 DCA was on the move!"

Hope this is the right place to share below information.
Really it will affect mentally. Even after the Car is delivered now after changing the components, he will not feel very confident taking it for another long drive.

In our same forum, i believe there was a Tata Harrier reported with fuel tank was hanging while the car is in motion, just hanging in with 3 bolts. Safety is not their priority and it was sad to see an Indian manufacturer just not correcting their QC and other reliability issues.

And the issues reported here is just very few. Those who are aware of the social media and forums like this will take it to the public, whereas others it will be a open and shut case not known to public.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 2nd April 2024 at 18:59.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:55   #457
BHPian

Glad that your friend was not overtaking other car when this issue cropped up multiple times.
Many of the questions posted by you should have been checked before purchasing the car. Now since your friend has purchased it, I doubt you will be able extract anything from notorious after sales of this brand.
They are good in building car frames / designs and some old school engines but the moment you bring in new tech and automation, it’s niggles galore.
Good luck to your friend.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 21:04   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I sympathize for your friend. Unfortunately the general public isn't aware of the plethora of issues popping up in these new age Tata vehicles and fall prey to it.

8- Manuals are the best transmissions from reliability POV. But these can fail if improper driving habits are at cause.
A simpler way to enjoy two pedal convenience is to go for AMT transmissions. DCT's are technically more complex and associated issues are harder to resolve. I guess pure driving pleasure comes at a cost.... and risk.
dagger732 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 23:40   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

I'm going to tell about "Abrupt, automatic transition of drive mode from Drive to Neutral when new Nexon facelift 2K24 DCA was on the move!"
Sorry to hear you went through such an ordeal. But, are the new Tata Nexons equipped with DCA gear box? Isn't that AMT?
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:17   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Sorry to hear you went through such an ordeal. But, are the new Tata Nexons equipped with DCA gear box? Isn't that AMT?
The new facelift has both variants, DCA as well as AMT along with manual. The problem now faced is with DCA.
red_hot_punto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:26   #461
BHPian

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions which have been passed onto my friend.

Plan is to get a meeting arranged with Tata's technical team and ask hard questions of which some are directly related to life and death. As you guys said, it might be hard to get any written guarantee but atleast needs some kind of assurance that it will not repeat again considering that it's a critical functionality failure.
Will keep posted on any further developments!

Last edited by red_hot_punto : 3rd April 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Spell correction
red_hot_punto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:54   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger732 View Post
A simpler way to enjoy two pedal convenience is to go for AMT transmissions. DCT's are technically more complex and associated issues are harder to resolve. I guess pure driving pleasure comes at a cost.... and risk.
Automatic transmissions are in the business for over 5 decades and they are more or less reliable now, DCT Automatics have been troublesome in the past, but VW and Hyundai group seem to have resolved reliability issues and the premature failures are uncommon now (even with the notorious DQ200), No one has forced Tata to use a DCT (complex tech + Tata Quality and ASS is a recipe for disaster!), they could have borrowed a reliable Torque Converter from Aisin (the one used by VW on 1.0 TSI), their petrol powertrains leave a lot to be desired as of now!

Coming to AMTs, this is a very crude piece of tech employed as a cheap alternative for auto boxes(worked for India initially as the market was mostly manuals 5-7 years ago and average car price was less than 10 lakhs), I feel AMTs are not relevant anymore (at least not on cars costing above 7 lakh ex showroom). AMTs do not just rob one of driving pleasure, but they are also irritating for passengers with the typical head nod raising its ugly head every now and then (This is prevalent even on Hyundai AMTs which are claimed to be the smoothest of the lot), It is time for manufacturers to dump the AMT and focus on local manufacturing of a good 6 speed torque converter, this can be used by different manufacturers to achieve economies of scale!
abaliga is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 19:58   #463
BHPian

Quote:
I sympathize with your friend and no one should have to face such situation with the car they have purchased.

Tata Motors really need to seriously work on resolving these issues otherwise if Hyundai, Maruti comes with good BNCAP rating for at least Creta, GV, Fronx, Brezza (if reports are to be believed that they may send these cars for crash testing and they come up with 4-5 star safety rating) then it will definitely impact sales of Tata cars in future.

The real problem with Tata cars is twofold, first with the poor QC and second very poor ASS.

People may argue that it has not happened with their Tata cars and it is just with few ones and it can happen with other manufacturers as well. But the fact is that this 'few ones' is much larger as compared to other cars in the market.

Hopefully, Tata will be able to resolve all the issues with your friend's car and he is able to get that confidence back again in the car.
satya_ip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 07:20   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Update: There was a meeting held between TaMo technical team and my friend yesterday. Attempt by my friend to include couple of friends including me in the conference call was turned down! They denied to discuss anything with public!

Rather than earlier plan by TaMo to replace Transmission Control Unit, Electronic Stability Control Unit and ABS, now they are going ahead with replacement of complete gear box unit worth 3.5 Lakhs since they are not sure if earlier plan works out!

All hard questions and safety concerns were replied in a typical customer care executive style without real answers as some fellow BHPians had already anticipated. The reason for the failure will be known only after thorough analysis of failed components by core technical team and this information will be made available with my friend. However he has asked few assurances in writing over mail to which they have obliged. He might get his Nexon back in another week as per TaMo, so from the day of break down, tentatively it will be 20 days of turn around time.

Hope the problems will be addressed once for all.
red_hot_punto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 15:23   #465
BHPian

I started observing another issue on my DCA post 4.5K. The car was so smooth and there was almost zero jerk post the software update did a couple of weeks ago. But in the last few days started facing weird issue.When the car is in D mode and the car is stopped by applying the brake, I started seeing the high engine vibration and even the brake pedals were vibrating as if the car was not happy to be stopped in D mode. The entire car was vibrating for a few seconds when the car stopped.

I have been facing this issue for the last few days. During my second service and highlighted this issue with SA today. What he said is there is some DCA update and then need to check the gearbox and keep the car for updation for 1-2 days.

Anyone who faced such a vibration issue ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks