Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:04   #6466
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Hi

My Grande Punto 1.3MJD Active is now 4yrs old and has run approx 69k kms. Off late, I notice that the AC isnt cooling the compartment enough, even at fan speeds @ 3, which otherwise would earlier chill the compartment at even 2.

I had spoken to the SA last week about it and he had asked me to go for an AC gas fill for 1200rs approx.

So, first of all i would like to understand from you what is the typcial change / recharge frequency for AC gas? Also, does it mean that AC has leaked due to some damage may be to the running pipes etc? What could be the possible reasons and if I just go by the AC fill, as suggested by SA, what could be the possible ramifications or things that i need to watch out for?

Regards
Saurav

Note: Mods, i have also posted the same query in another thread in the 'Technical Stuff' section where automobile ACs were being discussed. Posting here to get a view from fellow members with similar cars.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:37   #6467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Hi

So, first of all i would like to understand from you what is the typcial change / recharge frequency for AC gas?

Saurav, the car hvac is a sealed system, and normally gas shouldn't leak on its own. O rings were culprits in some batches of the Punto, but the seals failed in a matter of days. Not over an extended period. Now, some puntos had the coarse wire mesh filter, which actually does no good in preventing dust suction in to the evaporator fins behind the dashboard. If your AC filter was a wire mesh type, you might want to get the evaporator checked for fin clogging. If gas was the case, a high side and a low side pressure check would reveal if it is running short of gas or running short of heat exchanging surface area , e.g clean or clogged evaporator fins.

IMHO, inspect the pressures, the pollen filter is a must and not the wire mesh filter, and of course, the overall health of the evaporator. Also, it makes sense to run the ac for 5-7 minutes every week, even in cooler weathers.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 2nd January 2015 at 09:39.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:41   #6468
BHPian

I will be going for 3rd service in next couple of weeks. Apart from oil change any specific thing I should check, replace ? My odometer is 25k
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:13   #6469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Saurav, the car hvac is a sealed system, and normally gas shouldn't leak on its own. O rings were culprits in some batches of the Punto, but the seals failed in a matter of days. Not over an extended period. Now, some puntos had the coarse wire mesh filter, which actually does no good in preventing dust suction in to the evaporator fins behind the dashboard. If your AC filter was a wire mesh type, you might want to get the evaporator checked for fin clogging. If gas was the case, a high side and a low side pressure check would reveal if it is running short of gas or running short of heat exchanging surface area , e.g clean or clogged evaporator fins.

IMHO, inspect the pressures, the pollen filter is a must and not the wire mesh filter, and of course, the overall health of the evaporator. Also, it makes sense to run the ac for 5-7 minutes every week, even in cooler weathers.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I'm at the Fiat ASC - Vector Motors in Bangalore. There wasn't any gas leakage as such. However they have just topped up the gas and the cooling is better. But the problem persisting is earlier cutting off of the radiator fan. Apparently according to the technician the radiator fan is switching off earlier than required. And he still needs time to do identify the root cause of this fan problem.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:45   #6470
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Punto is ready for 3rd year service, I mean 45K service. It will be helpful to know the best service center in Chennai and also the estimated service cost
Old 5th January 2015, 20:39   #6471
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2010 Punto that has run around 72K Kms. I am satisfied with the car and the after sales support that I am getting from Fiat. My next service is due in February 2015 or so, or when the ODO reaches 75K Kms.

Towards the end of November, a person from Hyson Thrissur (Kerala) called me and informed me that the service interval for Fiats have been changed from 1 Year/15K Kms to 6 Months/10K Kms. So since my last service was done more than 6 months ago, they asked me to get it serviced at the earliest.

Now this was a surprise for me - I never read anywhere or got any communication from Fiat regarding the change in service intervals. Especially since longer service intervals is a good USP for Fiats, I wanted to know directly from them about this. By the way, Hyson people later said that the change in service interval is only a recommendation from Fiat.

I wrote to Fiat for clarification on 2nd December, 2014. I got a response from them (service.india@fcagroup.com) on the same day, telling that the query has been forwarded to the concerned department. Since I did not hear anything for 2 days from them, followed up with them on the 4th. No response. Followed up again on 15th December and still no response from them.

Anyone has any information about any official changes in Fiat service schedules?

I have a doubt that the dealer is trying to make some extra money, but the silence from Fiat is ruining the otherwise great ownership experience...

Devan.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:46   #6472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
I wanted to know directly from them about this. By the way, Hyson people later said that the change in service interval is only a recommendation from Fiat.

Anyone has any information about any official changes in Fiat service schedules?
If the said matter by Hyson on the change in interval is legit and announced by Fiat then there would be some kind of "Mass Communication" that it would send to all its dealers and ASC's.

Such a change in interval is an important information that needs to be documented by all dealers and ASC'S. .

So ask the guy to show the proof of this change. If he does show then go by it else bid him a Bye, service it at the normal time and enjoy the ownership.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 20:58   #6473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have a doubt that the dealer is trying to make some extra money, but the silence from Fiat is ruining the otherwise great ownership experience...

Devan.
If that is the case, ask Hyson to forward the circular to you. As far as I am aware of there is no such directive from Fiat for FASS at least in Bangalore.

I would suggest just go as per the owner's manual or as and when required if there are any issues.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:29   #6474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If the said matter by Hyson on the change in interval is legit and announced by Fiat then there would be some kind of "Mass Communication" that it would send to all its dealers and ASC's.

Such a change in interval is an important information that needs to be documented by all dealers and ASC'S. .

So ask the guy to show the proof of this change. If he does show then go by it else bid him a Bye, service it at the normal time and enjoy the ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If that is the case, ask Hyson to forward the circular to you. As far as I am aware of there is no such directive from Fiat for FASS at least in Bangalore.

I would suggest just go as per the owner's manual or as and when required if there are any issues.
But before I go to Hyson (its not that close to where I live) to check out the circular, I wanted a confirmation from Fiat itself. But they simply do not respond - its almost a month since I sent them the first email! And now I am already close to the actual service schedule.

I asked a fairly straight forward question - is there a change in the service schedule of Fiats from 15K Kms to 10K Kms or at least a recommendation. A Yes/No question indeed. But they are not answering.
Old 6th January 2015, 11:58   #6475
BANNED

Quote:

But before I go to Hyson (its not that close to where I live) to check out the circular, I wanted a confirmation from Fiat itself. But they simply do not respond - its almost a month since I sent them the first email! And now I am already close to the actual service schedule.

I asked a fairly straight forward question - is there a change in the service schedule of Fiats from 15K Kms to 10K Kms or at least a recommendation. A Yes/No question indeed. But they are not answering.
Just get the service done by the owners manual. If there is that circular for service interval change then you can carry it out from the next time.

Hyson guys informed you about the change by phone call, which they have no proof of intimation to you but you have a proof regarding the question raised to Fiat for knowing the service interval change which they aren't responding too, so go by the regular one. If there is a issue at a later stage you have some proof.
Old 6th January 2015, 21:59   #6476
BHPian

Quote:

The best and fastest way of getting a response from Fiat in my opinion, is by commenting on their Facebook posts. They reply to almost all legitimate queries. It's worked marvelously for me.
Old 7th January 2015, 00:37   #6477
Senior - BHPian

The right front window motor has gone kaput on my 5 year old Punto. I can hear the motor running but it doesn't open/close the window so I guess the chain has broken. Can I source just the chain or do I need to replace the motor itself? Any idea how much the window motor costs at A.S.S?
Old 13th January 2015, 18:37   #6478
BHPian

I possess 2011 end manufactured GP and i live in chennai. Two days back while giving a wash i found that Rust formation had started already in the rear doors at bottom edge where will be a rectangular opening in the sheet metal to leak out excess water.

The front doors are intact, rear doors will not last for next two years is my guesstimate. Is there a way where we can salvage this by a proper body repair like sanding, putty rust removal re painting curing ? Will it help extend the doors life in terms of rust prevention and rigidity?

Has any one seen a similar situation in your vehicles. The car is exactly 3 years + now and 25 k in odo.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:51   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Today I was taking my car out of my office parking area and had turned on my parking lights. After taking out my car, tried to switch them off but they wouldn't turn off. The green light on the dashboard stayed on.

SWitched off the ignition and then turned it on again. The lights were switched off on the indicator stalk but they turned themselves on automatically. Turning on the indicators would turn on the lights . As I was taking the car to the ASC, the problem went away by itself and I did not visit the ASC.

My fuse box should be dry - gave it for a wash around 10 days ago but he didn't wash the engine bay. Anyone faced this problem and anything that I should check further ? I checked on the fiatforum.com and there was one case similar to mine where the problem just went away by itself.

A couple of more questions :

1) Can the parking lights be turned on even without the ignition key slotted in ?

2) There's a 'tick' sound everytime I switch on and turn off the main headlights( not the parking lights) - somewhere from behind the driver side fusebox. Is this normal and is it from the relay ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 20th January 2015 at 19:53.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:09   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I possess 2011 end manufactured GP and i live in chennai. Two days back while giving a wash i found that Rust formation had started already in the rear doors at bottom edge where will be a rectangular opening in the sheet metal to leak out excess water.

The front doors are intact, rear doors will not last for next two years is my guesstimate. Is there a way where we can salvage this by a proper body repair like sanding, putty rust removal re painting curing ? Will it help extend the doors life in terms of rust prevention and rigidity?

Has any one seen a similar situation in your vehicles. The car is exactly 3 years + now and 25 k in odo.
@Sriram - Even my car having same problem now, Rust in the hatch door (right side bottom most part). Car is of 2010 model.

I thought it was due to water problem. Let me know if you think it is a issue with anything else.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks