Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 18:58   #6586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
My car is almost 31k kms, and I want to get the brake pads changed. It's still running on the stock pads. I enquired at the various ASS, and while the brake pad costs are same at all outlets, at 3289, the labour varies like crazy.
I changed my pads in March in Bangalore. The cost breakup was :

Brake pad set ( Part #77362180 ): 2427.95 + 14.5% VAT = 2780/-

Labor : 325.71 + 12% service tax = 365.97/-

Total : 3146/-

Mine is a 2009 Punto and this one was used, costing 2780/-.

The newer models use this one, costing 3289/-.

Note that service tax has gone up marginally recently.
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 19:00   #6587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Labor : 325.71 + 12% service tax = 365.97/-

Reasonable! Do you by any chance have the labour code? It is in the invoice. Thanks again!
Old 13th June 2015, 19:02   #6588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reasonable! Do you by any chance have the labour code? It is in the invoice. Thanks again!
The labor code is : 3310A60-P .

Description : "Front both side brake pad replacement"
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 09:48   #6589
BHPian

Quote:

1) Kashyap FIAT: This is the authorised, flagship outlet. This highly arrogant Service manager, Lalit Gaur, states it is a staggering 750 + taxes almost 900 Rupees as labour for changing pads alone, and skimming is 1100 rupees plus taxes which he "guarantees" will be required. Yeah, right!

2) Oberoi FIAT : 450 plus taxes

3) Tuli FIAT : 400 plus taxes

4) DRS FIAT Gurgaon: 650 plus taxes

5) FNG : 150

6) DIY Priceless.
Damn! I got brake pads changed just 2 weeks back, at Torque FIAT Gurgaon. Didn't know that DRS is still there. Car had done 92k, first replacement at 43k. Had overdone the pads by about 2 weeks (mostly used by my wife nowadays as I've taken to metro) and as a result disks went bad too. SA advised against getting it 'tuned' (learnt the word from him) though he told me on prodding that the same can be done in sector-12 and I have kept the old disks with me for the same.

Was charged -(incl taxes)
labour : around 900
pads : around 4300
Disks : around 2.5k

The bill guy put labour for disks too at about 1000/- which they removed. Do you think one can approach FIAT India Authorities asking for justification for such variance in charges by different ASS? I am surely going to take it up with Torque for sure.

I think I need to thoroughly go through the 440 FIAT pages to know more about my FIAT Punto maintenance and costs going forward and make right decisions.

For the time being, finding a good FNG would be a great idea! Any suggestions?

Last edited by modisan : 14th June 2015 at 09:53. Reason: added more content!
Old 14th June 2015, 10:50   #6590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Do you think one can approach FIAT India Authorities asking for justification for such variance in charges by different ASS? I am surely going to take it up with Torque for sure.
For sure you can, and be ready to hear the most outrageous excuse and explanation, including "Saaaar, there is nothing called fixed FIAT rates or DMS".

Rates for tier 1 and tier 2 cities are different for sure, but even within tiers, there is no parity at all. It is a cartel, and FIAT knows of it very well!

Old 14th June 2015, 11:27   #6591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Mine is a 2009 Punto and this one was used, costing 2780/-.

The newer models use this one, costing 3289/-.

Note that service tax has gone up marginally recently.
Both links were same. Nonetheless, found the other one.

Also found a set of brake shoes there for rear wheels. I searched TB for change of brake shoes for Fiat Punto and didn't find any result on first two pages for brake shoes. All results were for brake pads!!

I haven't felt brake pads setting in well despite having run about 1500 km since change. Could it be due to brake shoes needing change too?

'Play' for brake as well as clutch lever is high too. Any suggestions?
Old 14th June 2015, 16:54   #6592
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Fiat has three categories of areas - metros , tier 2 cities , and tier 3 cities based on which labor rates are charged. There cannot be variances in labor rates within the same city.

modisan, brake pads are used on the front wheels only. Brake shoes are used on the rear wheels only. Most of the braking efficiency are from the pads on the front wheels. If you're not happy with the braking post pad change, take it to a FNG. It took me about 2 days for the pads to set it - 1500km is too long. If you have a "spongy" feeling while pressing the brake pedal, there could be air in the brake line , and bleeding ( removing) it will help.

My car is at 82K and I've never replaced my rear shoes.

Not sure about the "play" part. These are hydraulic and should be self adjusting unlike the cable counterparts where the adjustment is done by turning a screw.

I's overall say find a good and reliable FNG - look at the recommended garages on the Indian car dealerships section. In Bangalore Fiat ASC is generally good. But that doesn't appear to be the case in Gurgaon.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th June 2015 at 16:58.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:24   #6593
BHPian

I'll be going for the 3rd free service (30K kms) of my 14 month old Punto within the next 8-10 days. Just wanted to know if the break pads need to be changed during this service?

Also, any estimate of the total cost I could expect for the service? I've been looking at other threads, but they're a bit old and the cost would've surely gone up!
Old 15th June 2015, 13:11   #6594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I'll be going for the 3rd free service (30K kms) of my 14 month old Punto within the next 8-10 days. Just wanted to know if the break pads need to be changed during this service?

Also, any estimate of the total cost I could expect for the service? I've been looking at other threads, but they're a bit old and the cost would've surely gone up!
The things which will be changed in the 30K kms service are: Engine oil, Oil filter, air filter, fuel filter plus fluid top ups such as coolants, brake fluids, steering oil etc. Brake pads need to be inspected before they can be replaced, you need to ensure that you inspect them before you authorize them. Workshops by default have this practice of replacing the pads irrespective of their wear. The total cost might be around 6.5K, add 3K if brake pads are to be replaced.

Mine is due tomorrow but have been grace period by workshop till the weekend. Odo on car is 23k kms.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 14:30   #6595
BHPian

Got the front shockers replaced on Sunday at a FNG. To avoid repetition of entire post here is the link to it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ml#post3731082

Just to be sure about labor charges for future i would like to know whether the labor charges were reasonable for this job?
Old 26th June 2015, 17:25   #6596
BHPian

As posted before, I'd gotten the timing chain replaced about 10 days back. However, the noise form bonnet is still there at the time of starting the car for a few minutes. Could clutch parts cause it? Yet to get master cyclinder job done.

Pick-up not improved since last service!! Should I attribute it to pending clutch job (just for reminder, car hasn't got any clutch job till its 93k so far, master cyclinder was reportedly leaking, awaiting change).

Also, have given Torque Fiat's courtesy caller a strong feedback on overcharging compared to Delhi dealers and she's promised to revert, awaiting the same.

Went to Corbett last week and just loved the sound of the car. There was some nice silence at higher speeds. Both on accounts of a rubbery hum from engine and much less noise from the 2 Michelin XM2 in front (35k ran Yokohmas at rear could not make themselves heard much). Was thinking of which tyres to choose in place of Yokohamas when these are done, perhaps it got answered.
Old 29th June 2015, 11:16   #6597
BHPian

I completed the scheduled service at Vecto motors last week following a break-down.

I could hear the fan turning at full speed with high noise, followed by beeps, and then message on MID, which stated something like this "Engine over-heating, turn-off the engine immediately". The temperature needle was at H, which just meant something is seriously wrong. I moved the car to the side of the road and opened the bonnet. The coolant sump is empty, coolant is spilled all over the space between the engine and the battery. I suspected a burst hose. I called Vecto motors which is the closest to my location, who suggested that I call RSA. I called RSA, though my car was out of warranty and RSA subscription had expired. The guy who attended the phone gave me contact details of RSA's towing agency. I gave my locations details and condition of the car. They arrived in 45 minutes. The car was towed to Vecto motors. Time 7.30. Towing charges 1600/-

They started the work the next day, that is, yesterday and promised me to deliver the car by evening. Since I had just a month left for the scheduled service, I told them do the regular service as well.
Work that I did not want to be done were break cleaning (?) that costs Rs.1000 and wheel alignment, costing another 1000. Total bill less by 2k.

As promised, they delivered the car after addressing most issues by evening. Total bill came to 10600/-

Now, coming to what really caused coolant leakage, it was the Thermostat Valve that broke. Solution, replace the thermostat, costing around 1400. I was surprised to see that the part, which is constantly exposed to high temperature, had a plastic component, the valve itself. What a lack of thought? Luckily the new part has a metallic one.

BTW, my Punto is at 49000 km and in the sixth year.

Suggest members who own Puntos from older batch (mine is 2009), to check whether it is time to replace the Thermostat. Imagine a situation where the warning is not triggered and you continue to drive!

The car is back on the road, sweet and smooth as always!
igniteddriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 18:17   #6598
BHPian

Guys, does any of your Punto has a bulge on the steering wheel like in the below pictures? It is half inch in height and 2 inches in length. I am unsure if it is related to any issue with Airbag. Please provide me your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-20150630_173329.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-20150630_173204.jpg  

Old 30th June 2015, 18:21   #6599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Guys, does any of your Punto has a bulge on the steering wheel like in the below pictures? It is half inch in height and 2 inches in length. I am unsure if it is related to any issue with Airbag. Please provide me your opinions.
Its not the airbag. Probabaly is plastic/leather deforming due to the heat
Old 30th June 2015, 21:16   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its not the airbag. Probabaly is plastic/leather deforming due to the heat
I don't get it, the bulge is like "just popped out" as if some nut is trying to push it towards the outside. More over I always park in shade & does your car has the bulge?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks