Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 13:38   #6646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Hi
I am facing problem with uneven wear of my rear tyres wherein they are wearing out faster on the outer side.

I need advise and views from members on how I should get this issue sorted out most economically? Should I get to ask this guy to put those "sims" on the bottom bolts which I feel can adjust for the bend? Can someone repair the bend and calibrate them for accuracy?
Thanks in advance. (Will thank later too)
Hi, I would like to know when exactly this problem cropped up. Was it when you replaced the tyres? Can you let us know how the first set of tyres behaved ? Also is regular tyre rotation done?

The outer edges are wearing out faster due improper camber alignment. Please check the alignment at a different place.

What you might have is that the tyres have a positive camber and your observation on putting the sims on bottom bolts is correct.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:18   #6647
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hi, I would like to know when exactly this problem cropped up. Was it when you replaced the tyres? Can you let us know how the first set of tyres behaved ? Also is regular tyre rotation done?

The outer edges are wearing out faster due improper camber alignment. Please check the alignment at a different place.

What you might have is that the tyres have a positive camber and your observation on putting the sims on bottom bolts is correct.
I noticed the problem about 18 months back and having replaced the shocker, I thought it was gonna be fine. Camber was checked at the time of buying Yokos (2 years ago) as well as when buying Michelin (3-4 months back).

However, 2 weeks ago, I was advised by my tyre shop guy to visit a mechanic in Sikandarpur, Gurgaon who actually turned out to be a much better guy than I had expected. He checked the tyre, the wheel and then the wheel hub (right rear when seen from front) thoroughly. He suspected wither a rim or a hub bend and using a simple thread he measured the distance from centre of hub to periphery and could easily find difference of about 2-3 mm which he said is enough to make that uneven wear. He told me he'd check out a hub with his friends and revert or else I'll have to buy new one for about 2-3 k. As my usage nowadays is very less, I could not follow up with him.

The wear on the other side was less and he attributed it to rim bend as hub was fine. I need to replace this rim with the stepney's as that one was OK.

Do you think it makes good sense?
Old 16th October 2015, 12:01   #6648
BHPian

I was facing turbo issue in my Punto from last March and after lots Service center visits, Follow ups, calls to Fiat customer care and few Emails to Fiat.
Finally able to replace it under Warranty

I copied the draft copy of Email sent to Fiat which includes the issue faced.

"Hello
I am a Fiat Punto (December 2013) owner from Bangalore. It is a 1.3 MJD Emotion Variant still under warranty.

It is with great disappointment that I’m writing you this mail regarding an issue with my car that is still not resolved after more than 6 months.

I had faced a “Check Engine lamp” error in March this year. Every time the car crosses 2500 rpm in 4th and 5th gears, this lamp comes on with a warning beep. It doesn’t respond to any throttle inputs after that. After restarting the vehicle 3 to 4 times, the problem vanishes. Then it surfaces again when the RPM goes 2500

It is so sad to see that till today the service center in my city (Vecto motors) has not been able to detect the source of the problem let alone solving it.
Since March, I have taken the vehicle to the service center every time the problem has surfaced (at least 4 times).
Each time the vehicle was kept for a day or two and returned back to me saying that there was some software updated and the problem was solved! I was fed up this thing
I have read in some online forums that some other people also have faced the same issues in other cities. I told this to the service center, and asked them to check and replace the turbo unit under warranty.

On September 22nd 2015, I left the car in the Vecto motors Service centre on Hosur road and told them that I’ll not take the vehicle back till it is completely solved. Since then, everyday I’ve been following it up with them and everyday they are saying vehicle will be ready by evening. Every day they also say that I will get a backup vehicle. I really do not know who is causing the delay, but in the end I’m suffering without a vehicle.

Till now, neither the problem is getting resolved nor am I getting a backup vehicle.
I have also reached out to the Fiat Customer care and registered a complaint (1-156136xxxx) but even that has not got me any good news and faced same false promises also (Miss. Rxxxx)

The customer service I’m receiving is pathetic to say the least. I work in an automotive company too and a field complaint is treated with highest priority and made sure the problem is solved at the earliest. But I’m not seeing anything of that sort but only casual attitude from everyone whom I have contacted till now.
In a last hope that I’ll get some response from you, I’m writing this mail. If I’m disappointed here too then it will force me to think of escalating this further.

Regards,
A disappointed customer
Vishwa
97xxxxxxxx"

Last edited by mnvvishwa : 16th October 2015 at 12:10.
Old 28th October 2015, 17:03   #6649
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Left my punto for service in RDC, Chennai as I was going for a long trip next week. The service advisor called me now and said that when he tried to top up the fluids the coolant is completely dark as the engine oil got mixed with coolant. He says the need to completely flush the oil's, fix the issue and refill the oil's. I really do not have a clue what is he saying. Can experts help me understand this?

The problem I had is I was hearing sound similar to running water when I took the car for vellore 15 days back. He says this sound is due to the engine oil mixing with coolant.
Old 17th November 2015, 15:57   #6650
Senior - BHPian

Took our sparingly used 1.4 Punto (18K in 5 years!) to Coorg last week and it was one of my most enjoyable drives. With the roads in Coorg now all done up, the Punto was a blast on those curves.

The 1.4 feels underpowered on the open highway, but give her the curves and she sure does make up for it. In spite of some spirited driving and high revving, I managed 14.9kmpl over 500 km (MID reading), which actually surprised me.

The only fly in the ointment is that gearbox. It is super rubbery and not at all fun. I test drove the Abarth just before this trip, and that gearbox feel is much better than our car.

Some pics of the beauty in Coorg.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20151113_174001277_hdr.jpg
Love this stance. The high GC now kinda spoils it.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20151115_102609646.jpg
Absolute blast around the curves

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 17th November 2015 at 16:02.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 15:17   #6651
BHPian

Guys, is this engine oil suitable for Punto 1.3 MJD. I am planning to get this for my 55k service.

http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0w40.aspx

During my last service at 45k i got all the fluids, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter replaced. Should i be replacing all of them even this time?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 20th November 2015 at 15:21.
Old 20th November 2015, 17:21   #6652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Guys, is this engine oil suitable for Punto 1.3 MJD. I am planning to get this for my 55k service.

http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0w40.aspx

During my last service at 45k i got all the fluids, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter replaced. Should i be replacing all of them even this time?
A better bet would be to get a semi synthetic and change the oil every 7.5k kms/6 months. I take my car to an FNG every 7.5k kms after the official service. This time for my 90k service, it'll be the twelfth oil change. Shell Rimula 15w40 costs around 350-400 a litre, you might need 5w40 just to be on the same side during winter.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:04   #6653
Senior - BHPian

My Punto 1.4 guzzles oil like anything. I get a engine oil low indication in 8-9 months. I had got the car serviced in march 2015. Oil was topped up then. Today, I had to get another 2.5 litres filled. And its run for around 6500 kms. Contrary to that, the oil level in my Honda Civic is never dangerously low, even after 10-12k kms of driving. Is this normal with the 1.4 Petrol? I got it checked, Headgasket is fine. No leaks.

2nd time im facing this issue. Both times, its followed a coil failure. Two of the coils now stand replaced.
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:34   #6654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
My Punto 1.4 guzzles oil like anything.
The 1.4 is known to consume oil at a max. rate of 400mL/1000km or something like that. I vaguely remember. Can you check the manual please?

But the coil: you mean the ignition coil?
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:54   #6655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
The 1.4 is known to consume oil at a max. rate of 400mL/1000km or something like that. I vaguely remember. Can you check the manual please?

400ML/1000kms is extreme consumption.
This is not normal.
Old 4th December 2015, 00:20   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post

Yes. the ignition coil.
Old 4th December 2015, 07:23   #6657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
400ML/1000kms is extreme consumption.
This is not normal.
But it is true! See p146 in either the Punto or Linea manual. Supposedly normal, especially in the NA 1.4 as I read in this forum and the other. J.Ravi has written about this too, and his car was as healthy as it could be. 400gm / 1000km just confirmed.

But then, in op's car, it is triggered after ignition coil failure.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 07:59   #6658
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Is this normal with the 1.4 Petrol?
My erstwhile petrol 1.4 NA Linea used to consume ~250 ml of engine oil for every 1,000 km, which was normal. See here for details. I used to carry spare engine oil always. Even now, I follow this practice in my XUV 500 although the engine oil level remained almost the same even after a 7 k km drive! Petrol 1.4 NA Linea is a proven drunkard compared to her sober sisters! Of course, my Linea did not get any replacement of ignition coil as long as she was with me.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 11:22   #6659
Senior - BHPian

So I guess the oil consumption is 'normal' for the 1.4. It's pretty insane if you ask me. I have to get oil topped up twice a year , certainly not an inexpensive proposition. My Civic retains most of the oil even after 10-12K kms.
Old 6th December 2015, 07:20   #6660
Senior - BHPian

Since the stock HU of Punto does not have AUX/USB option, I have been thinking of changing it for some time now. Now that I am changing, I thought why not go for something which can also incorporate a screen that can be used to connect a reverse camera and GPS. Since the car can take only a single DIN HU, the only viable option seemed JVC KD AV 300 which has a screen albeit a small one (3"). However since Pinto does not have ACC cord for remote switch on switch off along with ignition, the only way of retaining this functionality as well as speed volume control is by having a canbus convertor. Then retaining stock look of central console. I ordered the fascia from 99rpm, it turned out black. The total expense for the JVC HU with the convertor etc might come to around 20k.

I also toyed around with the idea of building a carputer with a tab. But don't know where to look for someone who can help me with a customs build on the center console. That is when I came across this link http://www.virtueindia.in/product/punto-car-player/ . This looks like a good option though pricey for the fact that it is a nameless product. However its plug n play and retains near stock look of center console plus has all the required functionalities. Has anyone tried this product? I want to know How is the general quality of hardware and then the sound quality from the HU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks