Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 13:19   #6706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

Can you explain your friends case in little more detail? Thanks in advance.
Sudden, inexplicable loss of power was what he was facing. The car would perform normally, but all of a sudden it would struggle to pull. Turning the car off and on would solve the issue. It was a bit difficult to reproduce the symptom at first, but later he found that a quick slow down and re-accelaration induced that problem.
The service manager replaced quite a few parts, but in the end, the ECU replacement resolved the issue.

I'm told it's the Lineas and Punto 90hp that are notorious for this problem, though I've faced it a couple of times in my 75hp too.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 17:24   #6707
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

dear friends ,
I own a punto mjd active 2010 model .I has clocked 129000 km .I planning to exchange the car for new punto sportsivo .Classic fiat in looking is quoting Rs 85100/- for the same and my car is getting the valuation of the rs 250000/-It means I will have pay around rs 600000/- for the new ride .
Please throw your comments on the proposition
regards
praveen singh
Old 18th April 2016, 18:57   #6708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I own a punto mjd active 2010 model .I has clocked 129000 km .
my car is getting the valuation of the rs 250000/-It means I will have pay around rs 600000/- for the new ride .
Please throw your comments on the proposition
I can only comment on the valuation of your car.
250,000 seems a very good valuation for a 1.29L run 6-7 year old Punto base variant.
Old 19th April 2016, 12:54   #6709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Elm327 on ebay saved me Rs 65000. In the elm and torque pro check for boost pressures and fuel pressures and whether it is within normal values.
Dr, request to please post pictures on how you opened the case to get access to obd and how you fixed it, can we close the plastic cover after fixing the elm in the port ?
Old 19th April 2016, 13:05   #6710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dr, request to please post pictures on how you opened the case to get access to obd and how you fixed it, can we close the plastic cover after fixing the elm in the port ?
Its very easy. You just need to pull the plastic trim from top, it comes out. You can also close it very easily after fixing the OBD scanner in the port. No issues there.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 13:55   #6711
BHPian

I have finalized to utilize Pro 10 Oil Booster and Abro Premium Oil Treatment along with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Mobil 1 Delvac Full Synth for my MJD engine that has run 36.5k on odometer.

This combination has worked well in CRDI engines like mHAWK and Hyundai's diesel rocket the 1.6 CRDi.

One query i am unable to get clarified is whether, Will the oil treatment additive have any ill effects in the oil cooler and oil evaporator condenser which the MJD is equipped with ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-e30.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-download.jpg  

Old 19th April 2016, 15:41   #6712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have finalized to utilize Pro 10 Oil Booster and Abro Premium Oil Treatment along with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Mobil 1 Delvac Full Synth for my MJD engine that has run 36.5k on odometer.
Does Fiat approve the usage of oil treatment? Is your car under warranty? Any reasons for choosing the above products.
Old 19th April 2016, 16:18   #6713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does Fiat approve the usage of oil treatment? Is your car under warranty? Any reasons for choosing the above products.
Not seen anywhere in the booklet about additives in general, as we are aware this is debate that varies from case to case and my decision to opt for this is by people who have experienced these products in their rides and drives and are seeing results.

Results to the extent of better drive ability, smoother top end revs, quieter cold starts, and less carbon soot in oil.

Super bikes such as R6 and R1 have seen results on these, when a super bike that is technically so complex and that has highest rpm and power generating platform is still not showing any negative symptom, a engine like mjd is very much a ideal candidate to accept an additive of above order is my analysis.

Currently Innovas are also given this treatment and are doing good with no negative symptom, i am mentioning innovas that run in taxi segment are given the above treatment with full synth,

Please provide your expert views.
Old 26th April 2016, 14:21   #6714
BHPian

My Punto 75HP MJD is around six years and close to one lakh Kms old. Since I moved to a different city, I primarily use my Thunderbird 500 and seldom drive the Punto. However, last few weeks when I drove the Punto, I am feeling that the turbo spools a little later than it used to be. It could very well be that I got used to the TB 500 acceleration and I am just feeling it that way though. I feel a small jerk sometimes when the car touches around 2000 rpm as well, but not always. The turbo kick starts after 2400-2500 rpm range. So in the highway runs, the issue is not affecting me at all.

First of all, could there be any issue at all? If yes, what could that be? If at all there is indeed some power loss issue and the turbo is clogged or something, is there a way to clean it or something? My (independent garage) mechanic said maintaining a turbo is not possible, you will have to replace it.

Another issue (may be related, may be not): My last service (90,000 Km) was done at an independent garage. I bought them Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic oil (5W40), 4 lts can and they returned me around 1 litre back. Although I was not there in town when the service was carried out, I trust my mechanic that they would have changed all the fluids to the desired levels. After this, I drove 1200 Kms almost non-stop two times and also 600 Kms non-stop two times. When the car was 96000 Kms on the ODO, I found that the coolant level was less than 10% and the oil level was just about minimum level. I then topped up both and then drove 1200 Kms non-stop again. Although the oil level has not reduced that much, the coolant has come down to mid min-max level. Point to be noted is that all these long drives were when the outside temp was 40-43 Celsius. The temperature gauge was normal all throughout though, even when the coolant was less than 10%. There is no visible leakages - neither the oil, nor the coolant.
Old 2nd May 2016, 03:03   #6715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
My Punto 75HP MJD is around six years and close to one lakh Kms old.

If at all there is indeed some power loss issue and the turbo is clogged or something, is there a way to clean it or something? My (independent garage) mechanic said maintaining a turbo is not possible, you will have to replace it.
You could start by doing a fresh service (specially air filter change) and cleaning the EGR + inlet manifold as well, if you haven't done so already. I got it done last Saturday at the 1.2L kms mark and it makes a bit of way difference to the way the turbo spools.

Quote:
Although the oil level has not reduced that much, the coolant has come down to mid min-max level.
My car has that tendency ever since I remember, and I have been lazy in topping it up. It doesn't go down below the 'min' reading though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:40   #6716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You could start by doing a fresh service (specially air filter change) and cleaning the EGR + inlet manifold as well, if you haven't done so already. I got it done last Saturday at the 1.2L kms mark and it makes a bit of way difference to the way the turbo spools.

My car has that tendency ever since I remember, and I have been lazy in topping it up. It doesn't go down below the 'min' reading though.
Thanks for the inputs! The EGR was cleaned in the last service (90K Kms) at the independent garage and it was indeed clogged. The other thing I have noticed is that there is a lot of smoke when the engine is revved above 3000 rpm or so. I discussed with my mechanic if the car can at least be driven for 1200 Kms back to Kerala - he assured there should not be any issue. When I am there, he said he will have a look in detail.

Another thing I have noticed is: generally the FE figures shown by the MID is +0.5 Kmpl vs the tank-full-tank-full method. The last few times I checked, the FE shown by the MID is around -2 kmpl! Does this ring any bell to you? Would it mean that the MID counts only the actual diesel injected and there is some oil also getting burnt that makes it show less FE? If that is the case, from where the oil may be entering the cylinders? If this is the case, I am thinking it can screw up the injectors too!
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:09   #6717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There could be a minor leakage with the coolant hose brackets, some will be evident, and some you have to really check it thoroughly. The reason you dont see droplets below the engine bay when parked is, the leakage is minor and gets dried up before it reaches the ground. Check and recheck. The minor one can turnout to be a bigger one.

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs! The EGR was cleaned in the last service (90K Kms) at the independent garage and it was indeed clogged. The other thing I have noticed is that there is a lot of smoke when the engine is revved above 3000 rpm or so. I discussed with my mechanic if the car can at least be driven for 1200 Kms back to Kerala - he assured there should not be any issue. When I am there, he said he will have a look in detail.

Another thing I have noticed is: generally the FE figures shown by the MID is +0.5 Kmpl vs the tank-full-tank-full method. The last few times I checked, the FE shown by the MID is around -2 kmpl! Does this ring any bell to you? Would it mean that the MID counts only the actual diesel injected and there is some oil also getting burnt that makes it show less FE? If that is the case, from where the oil may be entering the cylinders? If this is the case, I am thinking it can screw up the injectors too!
MID is pretty consistent with long distance averages within the range of 0.3 to 0.5 kmpl. With the mileage, there could be a simple issue as a diesel leakage. get that checked.

When you start the car first thing in the morning, observe if you are getting blue smoke, if yes, that is the first sign of trouble.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:16   #6718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
There could be a minor leakage with the coolant hose brackets, some will be evident, and some you have to really check it thoroughly. The reason you dont see droplets below the engine bay when parked is, the leakage is minor and gets dried up before it reaches the ground. Check and recheck. The minor one can turnout to be a bigger one.

MID is pretty consistent with long distance averages within the range of 0.3 to 0.5 kmpl. With the mileage, there could be a simple issue as a diesel leakage. get that checked.

When you start the car first thing in the morning, observe if you are getting blue smoke, if yes, that is the first sign of trouble.
Thanks!

The MID is actually showing LESS milage (2+ kmpl) now. So the car is in fact delivering 2+ kmpl more FE than what is shown on the MID.

I shall check the smoke colour in the mornings. If its blue, what kind of trouble it could be? Hope it would not be major.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 16:36   #6719
BHPian

Hi,

I have Punto MJD E which closed 81000+ kms and clutch needs replacement. I am currently in Chennai, Ramkay Fiat has informed that it will cost around 9500 for replacement which seems too high.

I have checked price of Clutch kit costs 4964 on 99rpm.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/clutch-kit-1-3-mjd-punto.html

Any suggestions?
Old 5th May 2016, 17:09   #6720
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Hi,

I have Punto MJD E which closed 81000+ kms and clutch needs replacement. I am currently in Chennai, Ramkay Fiat has informed that it will cost around 9500 for replacement which seems too high.
Seem to be looting the customer.

Is this quote only for parts? Any breakup for the parts, transmission oil and labour in the 9.5K?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks