Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 00:45   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
As a rule of thumb, 3-cylinders can't match the refinement of 4-cylinders. But, I must say that the 3-cyl in Matiz (reworked 800 engine) was very refined, and zero NVH at idle - especially when new...
+1.

The aygo, also has a 3-cylinder engine and I think it's really quite a good engine! Would be perfect for Indian conditions! Not many vibrations or anything. It was a bit loud though... but in a good way! The sound was distinctly sporty Very driveable and peppy little engine it had!

Guy's not all three pots are horrible. Agreed they can't match the refinement of 4-cylinder engines but some are really decent and are really peppy for city drives.
Old 28th February 2010, 00:53   #122
BHPian

Good review GTO and rehaan. Things now hotting up, in fact flaring up! in the hatchback market.Would love to see the 1.6 coming to the indian market soon.
One question currently between the Figo 1.2 petrol and Polo 1.2 petrol, which one is the best to drive from an enthusiasts perspective?
Old 28th February 2010, 02:45   #123
BHPian

Very good review GTO and Rehaan.

I feel this car is true competetor for Punto though it has 3 cylender engine.

If VW gives better service, every enthu of european car will definitly move towards Polo.

I assume that Polo will not have ratteling, no interior component falling off unlike Punto.

Punto might have better ride quality, but it lacks the build quality, fit and finish.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:58   #124
BHPian

Polo, from the review seems to be just another addition to the Crowded Hatchback Market, leave aside the Volkswagen Badge.

I cant see any USP for the car, strictly adequate perofmance from the engines, Netural Handling, Cramped rear bench, missing features (Electric Mirrors, ACC, Steering Mounted Controls etc.) to name a few.

By far the most noticeable factor is the almost non-existant A.S.S Network.

Is it me only thinking like that, or i am missing something.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 28th February 2010 at 09:02.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:05   #125
BHPian

The base variant of Polo Petrol 1.2 makes most sense to me. Fans of Euro cars will be seriously considering the current Polo variants otherwise buyers are spoilt with choice and apart from Euro build, I dont find anything else that this car offers that others dont.

Last edited by rajivn : 28th February 2010 at 09:12.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I cannot see a single thing that the Polo does better than the Punto other than perhaps interior plastic quality. Let me try and compare the two:

1. Exterior Looks - Down to individual choice, I think the Punto is better.
2. Build Quality(not including interiors) - "Tijori /Vault" i.e. Punto.
3. Interior Quality - Polo.
4. Interior Features - Punto, Polo skimps on stuff like vanity mirrors, you must be kidding me!
5. Boot Space - Equal.
6. Rear Room - Punto.
7. Engine - Ruling out the Punto 1.2, the Punto wins. So only in the base variant, the Polo's engine is better. But that means, one is restricted to just a couple of colours (this is a deplorable tactic).
8. Transmission and Gearbox - The Polo carries on in the tradition of the Fabia for having a fantastic gearbox, but in my own opinion, the clutch is an ergonomic disaster and totally negates any gains that the snappy gearbox could have made. The Punto has a long travel clutch, but overall (with a dead pedal) it wins here again.
9. Ride and Handling - Punto
10. Service - Punto. Both in terms of reach and spare parts list (speculative).

There-in lies the problem with the Polo. It lacks an USP. In fact, other than people who think VW is a premium brand, and attach snob value to the car, I don't think it makes any sense.
Service: There have been too many horror stories from Fiat owners versus none from VW owners. Number of dealerships is the (partial) offsetting factor.

Build quality: I think if parts sometimes fall off a Punto, and if interior panel gaps are huge, then the Polo comes out a winner.

Have to agree with you on most of the other points above.

People are raving about the Polo because they think its the same Polo that won all the Car of the Year awards in Europe.

But its not.

That award winning Polo had a 1.2 TSI with a 7-speed DSG. It had rear disc brakes, electrically adjustable OVRMs and electronic climate control. It even looked as good as the Punto with the smoked headlights, LED indicators on the mirrors and beautifully detailed tail lamps.

What we are being offered in India is a poor, ugly cousin of the real VW Polo. Built to a (low) price.

Last edited by theEnd : 28th February 2010 at 09:21.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:22   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
People are raving about the Polo because they think its the same Polo that won all the Car of the Year awards in Europe.

But its not.

That award winning Polo had a 1.2 TSI with a 7-speed DSG. It had rear disc brakes, electrically adjustable OVRMs and electronic climate control. It even looked as good as the Punto with the smoked headlights, LED indicators on the mirrors and beautifully detailed tail lamps.
+1 to that, the lack of features and meagre engines have dampened the fate of otherwise very good car.

I think the engines (Petrol & Diesel) are the re-tuned / refined versions of the Fabia, correct me, if i am wrong.

If they would have launched the 1.2 TSI, it could have been a game changer of the segment.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 28th February 2010 at 09:25.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:29   #128
Team-BHP Support

Great review indeed!
Talking about the 3 cylinder engines, it still baffles me why VW choose not to bring their better engine options to India… For eg; here in Singapore, the Polo is available only in one engine option ie; the 4 cylinder 1.4 petrol with 7-speed DSG. I feel the Indian auto industry is now mature enough to appreciate world class products. And these new petrol units from VW give excellent fuel economy (claimed around 17 km/litre!)

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2010 at 16:33. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:38   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The official ARAI rating is 17.2 kpl, not far off from the Ritz' 17.7 figure. European petrols usually aren't fuel-efficient, so the Polo's ARAI numbers come as a surprise to me.
& the 84bhp K-series Swift is at 17.9 !

Polo FE is a disappointment! If I have to put up with 3-cyl vibration and low power, then the least I expect is 'best in class' FE and best in class pricing, neither of which the VW satisfies.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
There was a strange sense of emptyness after reading the review.
+1 to this. And that is not good news for me as a prospetive buyer, keeping GTO's track record in perspective.

I am also a 6' guy with an occasional back ache, with 4 senior citizens in family, so Thanks ! to both GTO and Rehan for special mention of such issues.

In overall summary, looks like Polo wanted to beat Indica first, before taking on the others

Also, looking at Rehan's comparision post, it seems the exhaust is tucked away out of sight only in the Indian version ( See the pic of Indian and European Polo, used for comparing suspension ).
Old 28th February 2010, 10:05   #131
Senior - BHPian

Some how, I this car is not having any thing that good.

1) Electric hatch, 90% of the travel, the hatch will automatically go down. Nice touch, and add to that, no slamming. Practical, but somehow, I find this not that necessary.

2) The wiper and indicator stalks. Why cant they change this ? They can work on rear suspension, why not this ? I feel that this is superiority complex and arrogant attitude.

3) Headlights. I was expecting dual headlamp setup, not for aesthetic sense, but for practical purpose. IMO, they are better and help in night driving. This is again cost cutting.

4) No need for specially mentioning louder horn for India. I think they are more focussed on horn than engines. In the video of OD ( posted earlier ), they were speaking of horn special for India. Its as good as saying that we pack in jackets specially for a trip to Switzerland. Its a necessacity.

5) Non availability of diesel is going to hit them initially. Because the focus of car buying public will be FE and not performance. I think this diesel unit is called NEW, so I expected it to be better than Swift's unit, but Fiat SDE remains one of the best.

So coming back, what are exactly positive points of this car ?
Ride and Handling ? Punto takes the tag, Figo up there too.
Looks ( although subjective, here its just IMO ) ? Swift takes the tag.
FE ? Maruti wins.
Rear seat space ? Vista wins.
Driving pleasure ? Currently its Swift. The 1.2 petrol and 1.25 diesel are better than anything market has to offer.

On top of that, we are not yet known to the spares and service cost.
I am not able to find anything good with this car.
May be I need to drive one, but till then, I dont think this car really has something good.
It will sell because of VW tag and the hype around it. Typical of good presentation, but zero core stuff.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th February 2010 at 10:06.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:25   #132
BHPian

great review, am personally looking forward for this car to do well.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:38   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Some how, I this car is not having any thing that good.

So coming back, what are exactly positive points of this car ?
Ride and Handling ? Punto takes the tag, Figo up there too.
Looks ( although subjective, here its just IMO ) ? Swift takes the tag.
FE ? Maruti wins.
Rear seat space ? Vista wins.
Driving pleasure ? Currently its Swift. The 1.2 petrol and 1.25 diesel are better than anything market has to offer.

On top of that, we are not yet known to the spares and service cost.
I am not able to find anything good with this car.
May be I need to drive one, but till then, I dont think this car really has something good.
It will sell because of VW tag and the hype around it. Typical of good presentation, but zero core stuff.
+1. Except for the looks. I luve understated designs.
Nothing that really excites about the Polo. Pleases all;excites none? Perhaps.

And I'm tired of hearing about the perceived luxury image of VW. VW was brilliant enough by bringing the Passat, Jetta, Beetle and Toureg first. But after all this, we get a stripped Polo so that they can price it competetively. Absolutely nothing wrong.

BUT why can't we judge luxury by the car and not by the brand? I mean, what's the point in loathing that you a got a VW Polo that makes the Bettle/Passat when your neighbour is chilling in Auto Climate Control in the i20?
Old 28th February 2010, 11:59   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
+1. Except for the looks. I luve understated designs.
Nothing that really excites about the Polo. Pleases all;excites none? Perhaps.

And I'm tired of hearing about the perceived luxury image of VW. VW was brilliant enough by bringing the Passat, Jetta, Beetle and Toureg first. But after all this, we get a stripped Polo so that they can price it competetively. Absolutely nothing wrong.

BUT why can't we judge luxury by the car and not by the brand? I mean, what's the point in loathing that you a got a VW Polo that makes the Bettle/Passat when your neighbour is chilling in Auto Climate Control in the i20?
Very true, I agree with your point. Leave i20 at side even a top variant of Beat has automatic climate control. These guys still wanna cash on the namesake of their logo's which are easily stolen by vandals!!
Old 28th February 2010, 12:03   #135
BHPian

Great Review by GTO and Rehan, Much awaited by all Team-BHPians,
We can expect good number of sale figure in the coming days. Imagine this car will be a big HIT if VW succeds to utilize dealer network of Maruti in India and if they achieve 80-85% of localisation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks