Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 07:19   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Seat comfort is great and this is the only car in which my mother, who has vertigo, could fall asleep comfortably during highway drives. Hope I have answered your queries.
1. How would you compare the front seat and rear seat comfort of your Altis with the new Altis model?
2. Will you be able to compare it with the innova as well?

I'm doing my research on my next car ( maybe in an year's time ). Comfort is of paramount importance for me.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:06   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 2011 model and hence it might be a part of that batch. Can we check anywhere if our car is part of the recall or should I just wait for Toyota to call me?
Have you gotten any update about this from your dealer? I have a September 2010 Altis (Petrol), so I'm guessing my car is affected by this recall too. I haven't received any communication about this till date.

Thank you!
Old 30th May 2017, 21:16   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1. How would you compare the front seat and rear seat comfort of your Altis with the new Altis model?
2. Will you be able to compare it with the innova as well?

I'm doing my research on my next car ( maybe in an year's time ). Comfort is of paramount importance for me.
Tough question to answer and this is probably something that you will have to assess yourself. I haven't had the chance to experience the new Altis. But I have extensively travelled in the older Altis ( that I own) and the older Toyota Innova. Out of the two I came out less tired in the Altis anyday. The Innova on the other hand offered more room all around but the ride quality is better in the Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Have you gotten any update about this from your dealer? I have a September 2010 Altis (Petrol), so I'm guessing my car is affected by this recall too. I haven't received any communication about this till date.
Same here. No communication from their end till date. I think we need to call Toyota directly and ask them about this.
Old 5th June 2017, 15:57   #214

Hi Friends,

Sorry to use this thread but I need a help with a similar petrol Altis that I own. I am based in Mumbai.

I own an 2013 Altis GL version that came with the newer engine. I am facing two issues currently that I am seeking help with.

1. I have noticed that the Engine Idles at around an RPM of about 1100-1200. Its higher at around 1800-2000 RPM when I start the engine and settles at 1100-1200RPM after a while. Is this normal with the Altis? I believe ideally it should be around 800. What could be the issue?

2. GL version came with electronic seat adjustments. In my car the lumbar support adjustment isn't working. Confused on how to get it fixed. Don't wanna spoil the other functions or end up spending a bomb. Its not that I absolutely need it. Any reliable folks to go to who can assess the problem without ripping the seat open?
Old 7th June 2017, 11:21   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Same here. No communication from their end till date. I think we need to call Toyota directly and ask them about this.
I called my dealer and asked him to check if the recall applied to my vechicle (Sept 2010 manufactured). Surprisingly (and thankfully), it doesn't seem to. So my car is perfectly fine as per the person I spoke with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi2508 View Post
I own an 2013 Altis GL version that came with the newer engine. I am facing two issues currently that I am seeking help with.

1. I have noticed that the Engine Idles at around an RPM of about 1100-1200. Its higher at around 1800-2000 RPM when I start the engine and settles at 1100-1200RPM after a while. Is this normal with the Altis? I believe ideally it should be around 800. What could be the issue?

2. GL version came with electronic seat adjustments. In my car the lumbar support adjustment isn't working. Confused on how to get it fixed. Don't wanna spoil the other functions or end up spending a bomb. Its not that I absolutely need it. Any reliable folks to go to who can assess the problem without ripping the seat open?
1. The engine shouldn't be idling at such high RPMs. Take it to your authorized dealer for a proper diagnosis. My car (2010, GL Petrol) idles at around 1,000ish after a cold start and settles down around 800ish when the engine has warmed up.

2. If you take it to the dealer, they will charge you a bomb in all probability. If you do not use this feature, I would suggest leaving it as is. Don't take the headache of having the seat opened up, etc. Leave the fit and finish in the original condition.
Old 7th June 2017, 11:33   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi2508 View Post
The idle RPM is 800 +/- 50. With AC on it is approx. 1000-1100 RPM. Get it checked and adjusted at the ASC. It's a minor job.

Quote:
The seat adjustments are done via electric motors. If you go to Toyota they'll probably rip you off. Of course there's no harm in having them check it and give you a quote. If the quote is high I'd suggest ignoring the fault or finding a FNG to help.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:36   #217
Senior - BHPian

Recently bought a pre-owned early 2010 Altis (few months older than the generation of Altis reviewed here). There is one irritating reflection from the fascia that hampers the visbility. It happens very momentarily depending on the angle of the sun rays on the fascia.

Any recommendations on how to solve this?
Old 8th November 2017, 20:48   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the 2011 facelifted model Corolla Altis diesel. It came with a stock touchscreen ICE. I wanted to know if I can get a rear view camera fixed with the display connected to the ICE. Is that possible? I do not like those IRVM displays.

Attaching a picture of the ICE for reference.
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20111017-17.03.56.jpg
Old 7th May 2018, 16:34   #219
BHPian

Quote:
The service cost is very reasonable and it will cost you around 6-8k per year/10k kms. My 2011 same variant car has been going strong and hasn't given me any trouble yet apart from the AC gas leaking in the beginning of the ownership which has been addressed successfully since. You can see the service costs from last 5 years documented in the ownership thread below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cs-pg-5-a.html

Driving wise it is a 87 bhp engine and it shows. There is considerable turbo lag and it is not a car to do wheel spins or drags in. For rest of the things, it is sufficient. An excellent cruiser on the highways with decent driving manners and can easily do triple digit speeds comfortably. The gear shift will become your best friend if you want to enjoy a spirited drive in order to ensure that you stay in the power band all the time. FE wise it has always returned me around 17-19 kmpl regardless of the way I drive and load factor. The AC is a chiller and even though the car lacks rear vents, you will be amused by the number of times the rear passengers will ask you to switch off the AC. Seat comfort is great and this is the only car in which my mother, who has vertigo, could fall asleep comfortably during highway drives. Hope I have answered your queries.
Thank you drmohitg!

I had to skip the idea of buying that car then. But now, again I am on the lookout for a used Altis D-4D. There aren't any good examples I see in my city that are for sale online or at the used car dealerships. I see some low usage well maintained ones in Kochi though. One of them is asking 9 lakhs for 2013 G variant with 45k kms on the odo. I may go to Kochi this weekend to take a look at the car in person and then decide. Do you think its a good price ? And, has the parts / service cost been reasonable for you still ? How many kms have you covered till date ?
Old 8th May 2018, 23:03   #220
BHPian

Can someone help me to come out of a dilemma ?
I am unable to decide whether I should go for a 4-5 year old altis D4D at a price range of 9-10 lakhs or go for a new car that falls in the same price bracket.

Reasons for confusion -
I can get better safety features like 6 airbags in newer hatches and compact sedans that fall in the same price bracket as that of a used altis. Used Altis on the other hand offers only front dual airbags.

Altis is very spacious and comfortable compared to the newer hatches and compact sedans at the same price bracket.

Premium image of the D segment sedan.

Maintaining an altis (service cost and spares) might be expensive when compared to maintaining a newer and lower segment car.

Altis is less powerful . Even some hatchbacks can beat it in that department.

Please help me arrive at a good decision.
Old 8th May 2018, 23:14   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Please help me arrive at a good decision.
I wouldn’t suggest the Corolla mainly due to the underpowered engine.

However, within your budget, you can get any of these two executive sedans with powerful motors:

1) Volkswagen Jetta

2) Skoda Octavia

Maintenance, for sure, isn’t going to be as cheap as the Corolla. But the driving pleasure these cars can give you is unparalleled in tbis segment.

You could also look at a used S Cross 1.6 which offers you driving pleasure + spacious cabin + reliability + Maruti - peace of mind.

In the new car market, I would suggest the Ford Aspire and the Freestyle 1.5 TDCI.

Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 8th May 2018 at 23:16.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:11   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
I wouldn’t suggest the Corolla mainly due to the underpowered engine.

However, within your budget, you can get any of these two executive sedans with powerful motors:

1) Volkswagen Jetta

2) Skoda Octavia

Maintenance, for sure, isn’t going to be as cheap as the Corolla. But the driving pleasure these cars can give you is unparalleled in tbis segment.

You could also look at a used S Cross 1.6 which offers you driving pleasure + spacious cabin + reliability + Maruti - peace of mind.

In the new car market, I would suggest the Ford Aspire and the Freestyle 1.5 TDCI.

Prathik
Thank you Prathik for your suggestions.

Somehow I am afraid that the cost of spares(if there comes a need to replace some) of Jetta and Octavia might give me heart attacks. May be there is no need to be that much worried about their maintenance. But since I haven't owned one from that segment and never knew of anyone who owns one of these, I am a bit hesitant. Moreover, I am a sedate driver and I think Corolla's power might be adequate for my kind of driving.

I took a test drive of the Freestyle TDCi today and am impressed with its dynamics and power. But the thought that it is not spacious than my current car and going back again to the same segment pulls me away from it.

I might go back again to the Altis D-4D. I am checking out a couple of them over the weekend. Both around 45k kms quoting 9-10lakhs. Just not sure how much value they will hold if I decide to sell them off around 1L kms in about 4 years.

I am also looking at a couple of Vento TSIs from 2014 (12k kms) and 2015(7.5k kms) which are quoted at 6.95 and 9 lakhs respectively. Again unsure if I will have to sell them at throwaway prices in 4-5 years.

I easily clock anything between 20k and 25k every year. My 2011 Figo D is now at 150k kms.
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:06   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Can someone help me to come out of a dilemma ?
Problem with Corolla D4Ds are, you'll see it's hard to find a low mileage baby. Bulk of these are commercially driven or chauffer driven and are likely to have high miles/years owned. The advertised 'low mileage' ones, you have to look with a scrutinize more and verify the miles are real.

On the other hand, the 1.8 petrols are available at much reasonable entry prices at much saner mileages. You are more probable to find a private owner of the petrol, than the diesel. One example is a 2010 G petrol manual at 3.5L in Madras.

Corolla OEM spares can be quite expensive too, so please don't take a plunge with the impression that the spares will be cheap Have a look in Boodmo for OEM spares to get an idea.

Regular services are reasonable though, the 80K and 90K services costed me 7 to 8K each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
1) Volkswagen Jetta
2) Skoda Octavia
Octavias are hard to come by in the used market on a sub-10 lakh budget. Jetta and Passat are there in used market, but these do come at a much higher mileage and higher price tag or some quirk associated.

In 2 months of exploration leading to my current car purchase, I found 1-2L mileage 2009-10 Jettas at 7L change, or with out of state registration, or one who's license plate didn't match the Vahan database.

In summary, I was looking at paying 2-3L higher purchase price not counting the initial maintenance/replacements I might have to make.

As you mentioned, the S-Cross indeed comes at 8-9L. I encountered 1-2 year
old 1.3 versions that were selling at 8.5-9L budget last September.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 13:01   #224
Senior - BHPian

Am facing an unusual problem with FE on my 2010 Corolla 1.8. My last 4 fills have given 7.3, 6.4, 5.3 and 4.9 respectively Before which it was 12.6, 9.0, 11.7, 10.0,10.6 and 8.7 respectively.

The drives from the 10.0 onwards have been mostly city and suburban drives.

I don't see any difference in the driving nor is there any leak below the car.

What can be wrong?
Old 8th December 2018, 14:00   #225
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

I want to spruce up my Altis (on its original off white colour) a wee bit. The first thing on my mind is to change its grille. Mine is a 2008-2011 model, with the following grille -

Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review-old-corolla.jpg

I want to change it to the 2011-2013 model grille, picture of which is attached below -

Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review-new-corolla.jpg

Do I need to change the entire bumper for this or it can be done by simply removing the old grille and fixing the new one? Some say that it is a simple remove and fix job, some say bumper needs to be changed. Is there anyone who has done this to their Altis?

How cool would it look to paint the alloys in dark brown shade and the brake calipers in red? I am bored of looking at the same humble, down to earth Altis and earnestly want to give her a mid life make over of her long life.

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 8th December 2018 at 14:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks