Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 18:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
Regarding the spare parts, Toyota has surely gone crazy. Somehow, the music system's remote stopped working so I had it sent to the workshop for repair / replacement. Guess what, the new tiny remote costs about 1800 rs with VAT!

As other people have said, I also had to replace the brake pads between 15k - 20k (wasn't covered under any warranty). And recently, one of the Headlamps has stopped working (estimated cost from workshop: 9k). I didn't spend anything for the maintenance of my previous corolla (sans the periodic service). No more toyota's for me.
Which corolla you have ?
Old One, altis petrol or diesel?

No warranty ? Isn't two yrs warranty standard?
Old 7th October 2011, 10:54   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Which corolla you have ?
Old One, altis petrol or diesel?

No warranty ? Isn't two yrs warranty standard?
I have an Altis Petrol (AT). Previously, we had the last gen Corolla which worked absolutely fine. I guess it was just about 2 years when we got our brake pads changed. I wasn't asked about the warranty status when I called the workshop - It was understood that this is a part of regular wear and tear. Has anybody actually replaced this under warranty?

And btw, I am getting an average of no more than 8.5 kmpl no matter how nicely I drive (when in similar traffic my Jazz would go north of 15kmpl)
Old 7th October 2011, 13:04   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
I have an Altis Petrol (AT). Previously, we had the last gen Corolla which worked absolutely fine. I guess it was just about 2 years when we got our brake pads changed. I wasn't asked about the warranty status when I called the workshop - It was understood that this is a part of regular wear and tear. Has anybody actually replaced this under warranty?

And btw, I am getting an average of no more than 8.5 kmpl no matter how nicely I drive (when in similar traffic my Jazz would go north of 15kmpl)
I am also looking for Corolla AT. Was your older car AT too?

I have seen people getting brake pads changed under warranty.

Poochne main kya jaata hai ?
Old 7th October 2011, 16:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am also looking for Corolla AT. Was your older car AT too?

I have seen people getting brake pads changed under warranty.

Poochne main kya jaata hai ?
Nah, the older one was manual. Having owned both generations, I can say that the previous one definitely gave lower maintenance bills. By setting the quality benchmark so high with the previous one, they disappointed with the new one.

But that doesn't mean I would trade the Altis for the old one! The brake pads or minor issues shouldn't really change your decision about the car. I guess there are a lot of things that could have gone wrong with more important parts but no issues so far. And while their maintenance is going higher than ever (the stereo remote at Rs. 1800!), it is possible that the Total Cost of Ownership is still competitive.

What you'll get with Corolla is excellent VFM but be prepared for spending on the fuel bill with the AT(I assume AT is only available with Petrol). So go ahead if you like the Altis!
Old 7th December 2011, 19:26   #155
h.k
BHPian

My Corolla altis diesel has clocked 18000 kms, what i like and dislike about this car.

like.

brilliant car
refinement as good as petrol
silent silent silent
drive a 1000kms u wont feel tired.
Mileage
good sales service
upmarket feel vento, hyundai transform etc cost the same amount.

dislike

12.5 lak rs car has
No Airbag
No Music
No remote lock
No immobilizer
below 2000 rpm my activa scooter is faster.
have to think 3times before you overtake.

there are 2 choice for you.

Either you buy Toyota as a practical fuss free alternative to small sized heavy maintenance vento or verna transform or buy car in the same catogary like laura, jetta, cruze, fluence with its own disadvantages.

jetta is the best bet in case you dont want a corolla diesel.

i changed my break pad at 17500 kms for 6500 Rs
Old 12th December 2011, 14:55   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
My Corolla altis diesel has clocked 18000 kms, what i like and dislike about this car.

like.

brilliant car
refinement as good as petrol
silent silent silent
drive a 1000kms u wont feel tired.
Mileage
good sales service
upmarket feel vento, hyundai transform etc cost the same amount.
The engine is very refined. And the best part is that its very rev friendly too. With a little music on there is no way to tell if you are driving the Petrol or the diesel.

Quote:
12.5 lak rs car has
No Airbag
No Music
No remote lock
No immobilizer
Toyota has always been very miserly. Infact looking at them from that angle makes them look so pricey. A 12.5 L car should have the bare essentials like the ones you have mentioned above. The base variants from Toyota across its model range are solely directed at the Taxi segment.
there are 2 choice for you.

Quote:
You got them changed from outside? I read somewhere on the forum that the break pads cost around 15k for the Altis.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:13   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
Isn't it quite early? I thought the brake pads easily last a 30K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
read somewhere on the forum that the break pads cost around 15k for the Altis.
15K is a bit on the higher side right?
Old 13th December 2011, 06:46   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Isn't it quite early? I thought the brake pads easily last a 30K kms.
Even I feel its a little too early. I am hoping that mine last a little longer. It will surely differ with the driving style I guess. but more or less I have read on the forum that most people need to get the brake pads changed around 15k kms for both the Cruze and the Altis which does not inspire much confidence specially in the case of the Altis which is more likely to be driven sedately.

Quote:
15K is a bit on the higher side right?
Its at par with the segment. Don't know how much the C and C+ segments cost though. Cruze is 15 k too approximately.

Last edited by bblost : 13th December 2011 at 15:47.
Old 13th December 2011, 07:15   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ slightly OT here but the Sumitomo brake pads on my Versa were good for another 10k kms when I sold the car at 58k kms ; all my usage was in semi-urban traffic and yes, I used engine braking to my advantage,so use of brakes was the min possible.

In any case,15k is too low a usage for brake pads to warrant replacement,and that too on the much touted T ; are we seeing a scam of sorts here?
Old 13th December 2011, 15:48   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I would not call it a scam but it sure is scary. I was just wondering can it be related to the ever increasing traffic on our roads specially in the jam packed metros like Delhi? The number of times one needs to break has gone up considerably higher. So I am assuming that will show its effect on the break pads right?
Old 27th February 2012, 21:31   #161

Please can someone confirm whether Altis Diesel is similar to Toyota Avensis - European version?

Currently driving a Avensis , planning to buy an Altis once reach India in May.

Thanks,
Old 15th March 2012, 01:47   #162
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

There are people claiming that the Corolla D-4D engine has an issue with oil dip which I never heard of. Can genuine owners of the corolla D-4D clarify on this issue ?

Reference Post 1 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2714495

Reference Post 2 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2714515
Old 15th March 2012, 10:26   #163
AWD
BHPian

"These people" are members here & Im one. The stories are from "genuine owners" of Altis D, believe if you want, don't if you will.

Those "genuine owners" are not members on the board & are my close friends. I will share their contact details only with the people I find worthy.

Last edited by AWD : 15th March 2012 at 10:46. Reason: quoted text deleted in other thread.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:49   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I was alarmed when member AWD mentioned about this issue being faced by his friends. Anyways I am just hoping that this was an issue with the initial batch of cars and they have rectified the problem now. My Altis is NOT consuming oil as of now. The first service was done at 1k kms in october,2011. The car has currently completed 6600 kms and the oil levels appear normal to me. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope it stays that way.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Even I was alarmed when member AWD mentioned about this issue being faced by his friends. Anyways I am just hoping that this was an issue with the initial batch of cars and they have rectified the problem now. My Altis is NOT consuming oil as of now. The first service was done at 1k kms in october,2011. The car has currently completed 6600 kms and the oil levels appear normal to me. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope it stays that way.
Thanks for the response. Maybe, someone who has used the car for at least 30k can comment on it.

Unfortunately, I do not know even a single corolla owner with this issue. Or else, I would have got the full information ( like which service centre handled the issue, what was the root cause, etc ) for the benefit of the community. Every toyota owner would like to get to the root of the issue ( if at all it exists )

I'll continue searching for any such users. If any other users in this thread faced such issue, please post full details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks