Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:18   #76
BHPian

That is a superb in-detail write up about the car
I think there might be takers for this car as others have mentioned who really do not bother about the power of the car and are generally doing long distance traveling most of the time.
I had a friend who needed to travel a lot from Mumbai to Pune atleast twice a week so he bought himself a Skoda Octavia instead of the more powerful Civic when it was released as he needed a more economical car plus in those days it was a status symbol also
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:01   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This could well be my next car (purchase date estimated July 2011). The only two things I am upset about are the lack of an AT option and the fact that everyone is insisting that it's a chauffer's car (I do all my driving myself). But the rear seat comfort, the little odds and ends, the FE---all seem perfect.
The Altis D-4D is a heck of a car. Segment leading space, ride quality and reliability. You can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
GTO - will a comparison with Chevy Optra Magnum Diesel be fair?
Which one makes better sense as far as TCO is concerned?
I doubt anyone will cross-shop between the Optra Magnum and the Altis D-4D. For one, the Optra feels long in the tooth now. And on the talk of TCO, you'll lose 4 lakhs the Optra's first year in resale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Offtopic Question: How effective are such spoilers (infront of the tyres).
Just a wee bit, I'd guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I thought that will help to reduce only the drag caused by air, not rolling resistance which is caused by the contact between the tyres and road, right?
Thanks! Corrected in my review. Its comments like yours which:

a) Raise the overall quality of our test-drives

b) Make me double-check. Only moments before a Team-BHPian will spot a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Is it possible to shift 6 gears even in a highway
You bet! The 6th gear of my diesel Merc is frequently used on the highways...and is singularly responsible for her 800 km range on a full tank of diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its not just power that Toyota has skimped upon, its also the equipments. I think Corolla 1.8 is one of the best in its segment while this is just an average sedan.
True. The Altis 1.8 remains one of the best segment choices...the 1.4 D-4D will meet with mixed emotions. A Toyota salesman tells me that many a potential customer have been apprehensive of the engine size. I strongly oppose Toyota's decision of removing equipment from the D-4D vis a vis the petrol Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I will consider this car....Getting a Jap/Korean makes all the more sense with regards to A-S-S is concerned. Even though they don't make "exciting" cars or "solid" cars, Japs are the ones built to last relatively 'trouble-free' & relative ease of spares availability.

And yes GTO, 5 stars from my side. Fabulous Analysis!
You better share a detailed ownership report with us, ok?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
our grandfatherly Altis D4D will be like a safety car if there's an Alto K10 racing championship
Takes the cake man! Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
I think there might be takers for this car as others have mentioned who really do not bother about the power of the car and are generally doing long distance traveling most of the time.
I had a friend who needed to travel a lot from Mumbai to Pune atleast twice a week so he bought himself a Skoda Octavia
Your friend forms the exact target market for this car!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2010 at 19:02.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, but disappointing car.

This is a very unwelcome trend - plonking small engines in big cars. IMHO, government should have some regulations on the maximum and minimum power to weight ratios allowed for street legal cars.

I do not buy the argument that power is only for enthusiasts. Even average commuters need power for quick overtaking and climbing steep inclines like multi-story car parking. Plonking such a small engine in a car this big can't be justified just by saying that this car is not meant for enthusiasts / it is meant for chauffeur driven owners.

Having sufficient power is required in city's B2B traffic as well as on highways. Turbo lag at city speeds will lead to a frustrated driver because other vehicles will quickly occupy gaps even before this white elephant can start moving. On the highways, having power under then hood can make the difference between a safe overtaking and a near miss.

Like someone mentioned above, even a 3L car like Alto K10B will outperform this 10+L car. This car can't even dream of catching hatches like Swift and Figo on the highway. Just imagine the frustration levels of the driver who is driving a 10L car and can't keep up with cars at half its price.

I also do not buy the argument that underpowered cars are safer if they are chauffeur driven. We all know how egoistic these chauffeurs are. If they are driving a big but underpowered car, his ego is going to be smashed by every other car which outperforms this car. To satisfy his ego, he will take unnecessary risks in trying to prove that the bigger car should always be the faster one on the road.

I don't know about the others, but I would not like to be chauffeured in a big but underpowered car in the hands of an egoistic driver. I would prefer an Indicab, at least the chauffeur would would have a smaller ego and understand the limitations of the car.

Toyota is short-changing diesel car buyers in performance as well as features. I fail to understand why everyone is going gaga over this car.

Except for brand name and reliability, I feel Manza would be a better option if TCO is the main criteria.

Rohan
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Smaller yet significant things:

Nice : Hooks to hold the floor mats in place. Not Nice : They remain exposed!

The overall hook idea is nice and probably inspired by the need to provide additional safety measure against the floor mat slipping and accidentally pressing the pedals.

Unfortunately I can also confirm that the mats in my innova do seem slide more than the mats I have in my Baleno (inadequate adhesion to the carpet or maybe a flatter terrain?)

My innova also has this design and both the anchor in the carpet as well as the slot in the floor mat have come out of their place in 6 months of ownership. Maybe Toyota needs to invest a bit more and get sturdier and stickier materials!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 3rd August 2010 at 22:05.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:55   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review GTO!

I personally think that this car will be a success. Many people here have said that the car wouldn't do that well, and wouldn't take away sales from the Cruze/Laura/Jetta. However, given that most of those buyers are individuals who like to sit in the back seat, I feel that the Corolla will do very well as it is the first Japanese diesel sedan in the segment.
Most of the buyers had no choice and had to settle for the other options, but with the advent of the Corolla Diesel, the other's better run for cover.

Buffetfan: Surprised they broke so soon. The ones in my 2002 Galant are still intact, and a boon!
Old 4th August 2010, 10:16   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review as always ! With the diesel Altis, Toyota has resolved the biggest issue-FE? Heck my Superb is more fuel efficient that my Altis A/T

Although i hate it when companies skim down on features that were already there such as electric driver seat, but in this case it wont be much of a bother as even the top end model is focused to be chauffeured. If the buyer wanted to self drive he/she would get the Altis petrol A/T
However I hope the top end still gets the HIDs?
Old 4th August 2010, 14:59   #82
BHPian

Such tiny magnets for rear speakers. Victim of cost-cutting. I wonder if they can produce enough bass.

@GTO, Please include a good photo of OEM speakers in the reviews, which will help ppl like me to get some idea about the default ICE's sound quality!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review-tinymagnet.jpg  

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 4th August 2010 at 15:00. Reason: Removed pic, as atachement worked
Old 4th August 2010, 15:43   #83
BHPian

Great review GTO.

Some would be delighted with the VFM combo of toyota + corolla altis + diesel + price.
This car would also be the darling of the hotel annd taxi fleets . It is actually perfect for that application .

But IMHO the engine is just too small ! 87 weary horses are just not enough for this segment . Add to that a depleted feature list . Looks , features or engine absolutely nothing is exciting .

Toyota have taken a calculated risk and Im sure their name is enough to sell quite a few of these .

Will the same engine power the etios sedan ?
Old 4th August 2010, 19:58   #84
BHPian

GTO - I feel your passion for quality, in your writing. This is an awesome review. I've read all your reviews, and newer ones keep getting better.

Question on backseat. Is there as much legroom, as your civic?

I felt Altis back seat could get cramped with a tall driver (6ft). Would knees of backseat passenger touch the drivers seat?
Old 4th August 2010, 20:33   #85
BHPian

Awesome review. The car has all that a chauffeur driven Indian customer demands. However, the pricing could have been more competitive vis-a-vis the Cruze. It would be interesting to have a direct comparo b/w the two.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:12   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I do not buy the argument that power is only for enthusiasts. Even average commuters need power for quick overtaking and climbing steep inclines like multi-story car parking. Plonking such a small engine in a car this big can't be justified just by saying that this car is not meant for enthusiasts / it is meant for chauffeur driven owners.
Well said, Rohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Many people here have said that the car wouldn't do that well, and wouldn't take away sales from the Cruze/Laura/Jetta. However, given that most of those buyers are individuals who like to sit in the back seat, I feel that the Corolla will do very well as it is the first Japanese diesel sedan in the segment.
Japanese diesel sedan is the key term here. Yes, first so in the segment. It'll be interesting to analyse the sales figures of the coming months.

BTW, a Toyota dealer tells me that the waiting period in Mumbai is already 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
However I hope the top end still gets the HIDs?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
@GTO, Please include a good photo of OEM speakers in the reviews, which will help ppl like me to get some idea about the default ICE's sound quality!
Well, those who care about SQ will anyways upgrade the speakers, won't they? And can you honestly gauge the SQ by looking at the speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
But IMHO the engine is just too small ! 87 weary horses are just not enough for this segment . Add to that a depleted feature list . Looks , features or engine absolutely nothing is exciting .
Agreed. A 1.8 - 2.0 liter diesel with the same equipment level as the petrol would have been something else.

Quote:
Will the same engine power the etios sedan ?
I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Question on backseat. Is there as much legroom, as your civic?
More or less, yes. But the Civic's seat is very low. The Altis backseat remains the best in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Unfortunately I can also confirm that the mats in my innova do seem slide more than the mats I have in my Baleno (inadequate adhesion to the carpet or maybe a flatter terrain?)

My innova also has this design and both the anchor in the carpet as well as the slot in the floor mat have come out of their place in 6 months of ownership. Maybe Toyota needs to invest a bit more and get sturdier and stickier materials!
Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware that so many other cars come equipped with mat-holding hooks.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:47   #87
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to fit Innova's engine in this Altis?
Old 5th August 2010, 21:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Is it possible to fit Innova's engine in this Altis?
Thats exactly what I felt in my mind, in case if they had plonked some bigger engine, I dont think they would have lost anything.

At the end of the day a 1.8 or 2L engine would have costed after all INR 1Lakh more. which I am sure any corolla customer would not mind paying.

But BTW I feel the 2.5L Innova would be too big for it.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:09   #89
BHPian

A wild thought..

As the engine is under 1.5, why not Toyota think about a 'Compact Sedan' treatment to Altis ( Ofcourse after checking the wheel base and other complexities to make it less than 4mtr long) and further increase the competition in the entry level segment of C class.. It can give a serious competion IMO. For sure... Hope some of the Toyota guys are watching or even working out..
Old 5th August 2010, 23:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Very nice and very detailed review.
So when Punto 90BHP gets GTO'ed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks