Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

I tried for TD cars at 2 dealers in Kerala, but without success. Infact getting price details itself took a few calls. Anyway, we decided to go ahead based on this tbhp review and changed the Estilo-Vxi booking to an A*-AT last Monday.

After 20K discount (more in other states) + another 2.5K discount, the OTR comes to ~4.65 lakhs. Have been quoted a delivery period of 25 days - painful wait.

Anyone from tbhp who already got an A*-AT ? Searched, but could not find any threads. Would have been nice to read an actual user-report.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:38   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Review straight from the horse's mouth.

That's Mod Ajmat:

Old 24th September 2010, 20:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

That was a good video-review - crisp, yet covering the key points.

So going by ajmat's review, this should be a good fit for my wife and in-laws who would be using this mostly to potter around town. Great.
Old 24th September 2010, 21:11   #94
Team-BHP Support

Yikes exposed - Maruti asked us to present our comments about the car and the program. That video was taken early morning impromptu - I was the first one so had to think what to say on the fly!
Old 15th October 2010, 23:06   #95
BHPian

@ajmat - great review. I noticed that there was no dead pedal in A- star automatic,No engine braking - cost cutting perhaps by Maruti.
I felt the price was on the higher side and only VXi trim it is not value for money.

There is definitely some under steer especially turning in roundabouts in moderate speeds(35kms/hour)

I feel ABS are must for A- star,wheels get locked easily in A- star on hard braking even in dry conditions.

I am seeing a new trend set by Maruti- Slow selling products are given automatic gearbox.First it was SX4 , now it is A- star . Maruti should enhance appeal further of good selling models like swift,Wagon R by giving them automatic transmission.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
decent review.
But isn't the lack of engine braking a common phenomenon among all A/T's?
Correct me if im wrong here .
I guess Good Engine Braking would mean less Fuel Efficiency. Dad's kinetic honda used to down shift and rev up the moment you stop giving throttle (especially in downward slopes). With normal driving style, Dad used to get 25 km/liter. I used to achieve 40 km/liter by avoiding engine braking (Going down slope, I used to give just enough throttle to prevent gear down shifting - Dangerous if you don't have good control over the vehicle.)
Old 19th November 2010, 18:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
we decided to go ahead based on this tbhp review and changed the Estilo-Vxi booking to an A*-AT last Monday.
Have been quoted a delivery period of 25 days - painful wait.
When we booked the car on 20-Sep, the delivery period was 25 days. After 3 weeks when we enquired, we were told Maruti was quoting 2 months for this car. We cross-checked with a Maruti official who said it was indeed 2 months, though he did not have an answer to why it should take so long for a low-selling car. Or why waiting list for the auto-variant of a low-seller ?

Since we wanted an AT, we waited (impatiently) for 2 months. But now the dealer is saying it will take more time as there are production constraints at Maruti.

I fail to understand why the hell would a manufacturer launch a car without having enough to sell in the first place. As it is the A* sells a measly 3K per month and how many would even opt for an Auto of a low-selling model. I am really pissed off - we have paid close to 4 lakhs to the dealer, the bank has been deducting EMIs for the last 3 months, for a car we dont have or even know when we will get.
Old 21st November 2010, 17:19   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
we have paid close to 4 lakhs to the dealer, the bank has been deducting EMIs for the last 3 months, for a car we dont have or even know when we will get.
Did your dealer talk to you about the final price? Now that you have paid (almost) the full amount, would you be forced to pay for any new price increase at the time of delivery of your car?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 21st November 2010 at 17:21.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I fail to understand why the hell would a manufacturer launch a car without having enough to sell in the first place. As it is the A* sells a measly 3K per month and how many would even opt for an Auto of a low-selling model. I am really pissed off - we have paid close to 4 lakhs to the dealer, the bank has been deducting EMIs for the last 3 months, for a car we dont have or even know when we will get.
I am going to book the a-star AT, I have been told by Popular motors that the made2order piece will be ready only by mid-feb of 2011 if I book now. . I asked him why made2order, isn't the same spec car exported to countries outside india? He was clueless.

Can you please share the quote, discounts, waiver on insurance and warranty if any?
Old 21st November 2010, 19:43   #100
BHPian

Being the biggest seller of Cars in India it is indeed ununderstandable that they take such long waiting time for a car that is not that popular. I think it is advantage i10 auto considering that there is no other small hatch in automatic transmission.
Old 21st November 2010, 22:07   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel if i10 were to offer ABS in the Sportz Automatic, it would pretty much kill the A-Star Automatic. The only advantage I see over the i10 is that the AStar has ABS for the price and for i10 you really have to shell out a lot more to get the next variant to get ABS.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to book A-star Auto this month - if anybody in Trivandrum is also looking out to book one, let's bargain collectively for discounts. I guess any dealer would give 20K discount without bargaining, I am trying to see if we could get more. Moreover, I feel that collective booking stands a better chance for earlier delivery.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I am planning to book A-star Auto this month - if anybody in Trivandrum is also looking out to book one, let's bargain collectively for discounts. I guess any dealer would give 20K discount without bargaining, I am trying to see if we could get more. Moreover, I feel that collective booking stands a better chance for earlier delivery.
There is an official 35000/- rupees discount on a-star from the OTR. I am pushing for free insurance and extended warranty here in Chennai.
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
There is an official 35000/- rupees discount on a-star from the OTR. I am pushing for free insurance and extended warranty here in Chennai.
Does this 35K discount include exchange bonus? Is this discount available only for A-star Manual, or for the Automatic as well?
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

@4x4addict, i10 needs to do nothing. Maruti is doing a pretty good job of killing the A-star-AT even before it blooms, with their shoddy delivery periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Did your dealer talk to you about the final price? Now that you have paid (almost) the full amount, would you be forced to pay for any new price increase at the time of delivery of your car?
The final price was discussed with the dealer. But not sure if that makes us immune from any price hikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
Can you please share the quote, discounts, waiver on insurance and warranty if any?
I dont have the details with me, but the standard discount was 20K + another 2.5K for Govt employees (car is in my in-laws name). Comes to OTR of 4.65lakh approx - please note that road tax rate is only 6% in Kerala, while it is higher in TN by 2% or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
I am planning to book A-star Auto this month - if anybody in Trivandrum is also looking out to book one, let's bargain collectively for discounts.
From my experience, the wait can get frustrating - be prepared for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
There is an official 35000/- rupees discount on a-star from the OTR.
That includes exchange bonus. Without exchange, the discount would be 25K in TN IIRC. In Kerala they give only 20K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks