Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:44   #901
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Most of the problems were reported for the initial batch of vehicles and their problems were compunded by ill trained staff at TASS. If in doubt go through the long term report http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...rt-325047.aspx ,there are so many positives about Aria. I have test driven it in all conditions and it's one of the best vehicle at today's price. I believe TATA will not abandon it so easily as it's being sold internationally in Indonesia, south Africa, italy to name a few. If you don't bother about resale take the 4 year AMC at rs36000(approx) and enjoy the car. I would buy it as soon my finances permit .

Last edited by damodar : 23rd December 2013 at 19:45.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:01   #902
BHPian

+1 ^ to what scorpiobharath said, Sajanjohn I know I can't stop you but still being a fellow teambhpian I feel its right to advise you from plonking your hard earned money and then regretting later in life. The Aria is a beautifully designed vehicle with all the comforts but all that is only on paper,in reality its a nightmare. I know a couple of Ex-owners who bought the vehicle and regretted miserably later on,on top of that they got a very low resale value too. The car develops so many faults in its later stage of life,you will be scared to take it out of your garage. So as scorpiobharath said go for an Innova,Ertiga or an XUV500.

Edit: If you still want to buy it, that too in December, Bargain HARD!

Last edited by richie4u : 23rd December 2013 at 20:05.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:50   #903
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am not new to TATA cars. Manza just completed 50,000 km and its been a trouble free run for last 4 years, Vista in the family is going strong at 70K. I get better quality service and treatment for my maruti car for sure, but as of today, I kind of like the service quality I am able to experience at Bangalore TATA service centers. They are super cost effective too. 50K service charge for manza was about 3600 including oil change.

My main worry is about the reliability of 2013 ARIA components. Are there any 2013 owners here? My other option would be xuv, storme or Innova.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:36   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@sajanjohn: I think it is okay as long as you buy the version with only ABS, Air Bags. I think it is best NOT to go for the top end with Traction Control, side air bags, etc...

Also check the manufacturing date to know how long the vehicle has been sun bathing it the stock yard and also bargain very hard. Take extended warranty & plan to keep the vehicle for a looong time.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 11:09   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
I am planning to test drive the ARIA tomorrow. As part of December offer , there is close to 1lakh cash discount, 30K exchange bonus for pleasure models. I believe on top, they are offering loyalty bonus for existing customers.

Like to enquire with the current owners about the performance/niggles for 2013 makes. ACM's and other few long term ownership reviews are kind of a mental block right now.
Right now, you are buying an Aria because there is a 1 Lac discount. But you will end up losing much more when you are out to sell the car. I have been in the used car market for a while now, for my Civic and other UVs for our office. I have observed that nobody in the used car market wants to touch an Aria and even if they do, you will be forced to sell it for dirt cheap.

Frankly, I dont know about the reliability of the 2013 ones (it seems fine on first look), but when I bought the XUV, my main concern regarding the Aria was-

1) Incompetent TATA's A.S.S. who cannot handle Aria's issues!
2) Tata's lack of outright customer care, unlike M&M
3) Unavailability of spares, even in the A.S.S.
4) Falling sales figures

Rest is upto you. I agree Aria is a more comfortable vehicle than the XUV, but for peace of mind, even I would recommend you look at the Duster, Innova, XUV5OO, Ecosport or Terrano.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:33   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am not new to TATA cars. Manza just completed 50,000 km and its been a trouble free run for last 4 years, Vista in the family is going strong at 70K. I get better quality service and treatment for my maruti car for sure, but as of today, I kind of like the service quality I am able to experience at Bangalore TATA service centers. They are super cost effective too. 50K service charge for manza was about 3600 including oil change.

My main worry is about the reliability of 2013 ARIA components. Are there any 2013 owners here? My other option would be xuv, storme or Innova.
Sajan,
I know a 2013 Aria owner (currently) in Bangalore, who bought his vehicle from Cochin. PM me for his contact details.
Btw, I have a 2010 Aria that is nearing 70K, perhaps the oldest Aria in this forum. Recently (68K) replaced DMF along with clutch and had the AC compressor overheat and burn out shortly after. The expansion valve for AC had to come from Pune. This was the only time, so far, when the vehicle was stuck at the service center for parts.
Btw, my loaner car during this period was a Safari Storme VXp that had done 2600kms. Drove close to 500kms on it and would say they are two very different vehicles. After the first two days I badly wanted my Aria back. I would also like to add that the Storme had its fair share of rattling noise both from dash and doors, compared to that the major noise on Aria cabin is an occasional high frequency whistling like sound through AC blower.
Actually I would agree with others here on the peace of mind part. It did have its own fair share of issues and they were always a bit more compared to my Hyundai i10 or Honda City at the corresponding odometer readings. My first vehicle, Maruti Esteem, is perhaps a better comparison in that respect.
Objectively speaking perhaps more than the vehicle itself, it was the Tata brand's reputation that was playing havoc in my mind. Once ACM sold his Aria, whatever confidence was left also suffered a big dent as I was relying on his updates for any upcoming potential issues. Going by the general brand perception really wonder what is in store, but plan to keep the vehicle atleast till the warranty gets over next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It is double whammy - Tata is not reliable and the customer care is equally imcompetent (stories from fellow BHPians). Stories of spares not easily being available are very common on ownership reviews.
I am happy with the Concorde guys here in Bangalore, perhaps as the first Aria owner they have given me preferential treatment. On the spare parts side so far twice parts had to come from Pune, the first time it arrived overnight, second time it apparently shipped within 24hours, but the Concord SA was blaming Bluedart for delivering it late. Btw, I had several parts replaced otherwise (mostly under warranty) and so far availability wasn't an issue. But I still agree with you that going forward there could be spare availability issues, particularly so if Aria sales continue to be pathetic.
LobsterB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 13:10   #907
BHPian

Thanks Lobster. Like you mentioned ACM's Aria episode is kind of a mental road block for me too.

What I love about ARIA is that comfortable 3rd row with a descent luggage room compared to XUV. Will be super helpful for my Bangalore/Kerala bi-monthly trips.

But yeah, like most of you mentioned here, from a peace of mind perspective I would rather pick between Innova and XUV.
Old 24th December 2013, 13:41   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I would also like to add that the Storme had its fair share of rattling noise both from dash and doors, compared to that the major noise on Aria cabin is an occasional high frequency whistling like sound through AC blower.
Do you mean that this particular Storme had this problem ? I dont think, and have not heard of this problem in other Storme's, except for the TD vehicles that were part of the demo's that TML did last year. The Storme's that I refer to range from new ones, to one that is now @ 60k, and many in between.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:50   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do you mean that this particular Storme had this problem ? I dont think, and have not heard of this problem in other Storme's, except for the TD vehicles that were part of the demo's that TML did last year. The Storme's that I refer to range from new ones, to one that is now @ 60k, and many in between.
I was only comparing the state of that particular loaner car (Storme @3K ) against my Aria at 68K. The major sound was from the driver side window glass and the rear driver side door. Don't have the VIN number to decode the batch/year. But I really don't know what it went through in the first 2500kms. I had a bizarre puncture in this vehicle due to something getting loose on the disc brake assembly and poking the alloy wheel! The original spare tyre was missing and instead a worn out one on a different alloy wheel was available on the boot space (between the side facing seats). So it is quite possible that this loaner vehicle has some history not known to me.

Last edited by LobsterB : 24th December 2013 at 14:51.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 19:55   #910
BHPian

I am smitten by the Aria more so, after knowing about the additional recliner positions on the middle row seat (a feature I didn't know of, earlier), making it a perfect long-distance tourer.

Wish they reintroduced the Pure, someday :(
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0329.jpg  

dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 20:59   #911
Senior - BHPian

Same here, totally smitten by the Aria. The sheer features TATA offers for the top end is equivalent of a 30+L car IMO. Moreover, having seen the attention being given on the production line, I seriously doubt the 2013 versions would have any problems at all.

Was just watching a video the other day reminded me of the kind of insulation it gives on the highway. I'm not posting the video link here because the fellow driving was constantly doing insane speeds while keeping up with an Audi A4.

But my main point is the cocoon like feeling it gives while driving is just phenomenal - I've experienced it first hand, very stable. Comparatively when I recently went somewhere in an Innova, it felt like a Van to me to be very honest. No offence to anyone, but saying just what I felt.

Hope the markets give it the well deserved second chance it deserves.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 21:06   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

It is definitely comfortable, & handles very well. We have driven it at pretty good speeds in ghats & were impressed.
My only point is - it is pretty long. Not for the space constrained when it comes to parking.
Old 25th December 2013, 04:20   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from a peace of mind perspective I would rather pick between Innova and XUV.
from a peace of mind perspective, between Innova and XUV, it is a no brainer, It is Innova. XUV has its own problems.
If i were you, i wont listen to the opinions of people who never owned a Tata passenger vehicle, i will not buy for the discount also. I will test drive both Innova and Aria, and which one suits me better, which one has the features i am looking for, which one is comfortable based on my physique, i will go for it. I wont worry so much about resale value, if i am going to use it for some time. Also i will buy the AMC.
If relatively new Arias available in used car market dirt cheap ( i am not sure about this), getting a used one is not a bad idea either.
teamveevee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 07:40   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
If i were you, i wont listen to the opinions of people who never owned a Tata passenger vehicle, i will not buy for the discount also. I will test drive both Innova and Aria, and which one suits me better, which one has the features i am looking for, which one is comfortable based on my physique, i will go for it. I wont worry so much about resale value, if i am going to use it for some time. Also i will buy the AMC.
I have stopped commenting on posts about Tata vehicles for the exact reason that you have mentioned. Most of the comments come from people who have never had a Tata in their stable and also come from petrol-heads who have no idea how a diesel performs. No point in banging my head over it.

Having owned almost every Tata in their stable, except the Estate and the Aria, I always look for VFM in my cars, think less about snob value. Cumulatively, I have driven over 6,00,000 kms in the Sumo, Sierra, Indica, Marina, now the Vista, Nano (for a brief period) (cousin owned the 207 and the Safari), I have never looked back or regretted my decision ever. The only failure was when the timing belt broke in the Marina (for which I fault my mechanic). I have always seen the quality getting better.

Try to find a reliable ASS which does only service, and get the extended warranty with AMC. Get to know the people at the ASS and you will notice that there is less time spent there and more time on the road.

As for the Aria, it is always your choice. I have seen it on the highway and was blown away by its ride and handling. Like 4x4addict mentioned, stay one trim lower than the top end, that's always VFM in a Tata.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 11:57   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
from a peace of mind perspective, between Innova and XUV, it is a no brainer, It is Innova. XUV has its own problems.
The difference between the 3 vehicles as far as my personal opinion goes -

Innova - Very reliable
XUV - Has problems but company is responsive
Aria - Has problems, but even company is not very responsive

I will not go into individual cases to compare as that would turn into a debate.

Quote:
If i were you, i wont listen to the opinions of people who never owned a Tata passenger vehicle, i will not buy for the discount also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I have stopped commenting on posts about Tata vehicles for the exact reason that you have mentioned. Most of the comments come from people who have never had a Tata in their stable and also come from petrol-heads who have no idea how a diesel performs. No point in banging my head over it.
Have owned several TATAs in the past, so I guess I know how their customer service is.

My uncle bough an Aria Pride 4x4 in Karnataka some 3 years ago. It had it fair share of issues but on two occasions as far as I recollect, it had to stay in the A.S.S. for a long period due to unavailability of spares.

Fact is, the Aria is such a slow moving vehicle, that except the common parts like filters and oil, the A.S.S. does not stock other parts for the Aria.

Fed up with that, he bought a Safari now (since TATA is the only dealer and A.S.S. in his viscinity), which is uses more often now. Worse, when he was out to sell the car, he got a quote of 6 to 8 Lacs... for a car which he bought for 18 Lacs some 2.5-3 years back. He simply decided to park the vehicle in his porch rather than selling it at a loss. He now takes it out on special occasions!

I am not against the Aria, its a great car. Its more comfortable than the XUV and personally I like the way it looks. But I wont suggest it to anyone for the simple reason that now it does not make economical sense. Yes, for someone willing to take that risk and does not mind losing some money while re-selling it, its a great choice.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks