Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 09:59   #2056
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
To quote the related figures from the manual:

Attachment 1184266

(this is for the 120HP T-JET and 90HP 1.3L Multijet variants. 1.6L Multijet is 105HP and Indian T-JET is 114HP(?))
The Tjet runs out of breath at 165 (at least mine does, may be if roads permit, you could get a 5-10 kmph more). Even at 150, you wouldnt like the engine noise if you love your car. I say, top speeds be damned. Enjoy how it pulls to 130 from 90 on 5th and then let the car be at that speed. Easy Cruising at comfortably high speeds should be the goal rather than eking out the last bit of performance just to strain the machines.

Solely a perspective of mine, having driven the car over 13k kms on highways only!
palitrana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 11:58   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post

The Tjet runs out of breath at 165 (at least mine does, may be if roads permit, you could get a 5-10 kmph more).
You may need to be in fourth gear to max out the car, for the gtx that's the best gear for reaching its top speed.
Old 31st December 2013, 14:24   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
You may need to be in fourth gear to max out the car, for the gtx that's the best gear for reaching its top speed.
Pardon me, But I completely fail to understand how the car can achieve top speed in 4th gear and not in 5th gear? Is it even possible to do that in any car? Very Curious!
Old 31st December 2013, 14:49   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
The Tjet runs out of breath at 165 (at least mine does, may be if roads permit, you could get a 5-10 kmph more). Even at 150, you wouldnt like the engine noise if you love your car. I say, top speeds be damned. Enjoy how it pulls to 130 from 90 on 5th and then let the car be at that speed. Easy Cruising at comfortably high speeds should be the goal rather than eking out the last bit of performance just to strain the machines.

Solely a perspective of mine, having driven the car over 13k kms on highways only!
I have done a speedo indicated 190 on the Tjet before i ran out of road. The way to make the speed climb faster is to shift at the appropriate rpm. Since the Tjet makes the max power at 5000 rpm, try shifting just after 5000 in every gear. The Speed would climb way too fast for your liking
JayKis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 14:55   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I have a peted punto that delivers 90hp. I can tell that you really need to work on the gas pedal beyond 120 kph if the car is loaded. It does go up to 140 but really slow.
Something is seriously wrong with your car or the way the tuner has tuned it.
Even in stock form the punto 75hp easily catches 140 without fuss. A remapped punto climbs 170 without any drama.

The 5th gear on MJD fiats are simply great with a spread from 80-200 kmph
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 15:01   #2061
BHPian

Quote:

Pardon me, But I completely fail to understand how the car can achieve top speed in 4th gear and not in 5th gear? Is it even possible to do that in any car? Very Curious!
Typically the 5th gear is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and not top speed.

It's true for most cars except diesels

There is a relationship between the torque curve and frictional resistance of a car at speed,

If the torque produced by the engine + gearing is less than frictional resistance then car won't accelerate further, a lower gear will produce more torque at the same speed allowing car to accelerate to higher top speed :-) hope that explains a bit.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 16:46   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Easy Cruising at comfortably high speeds should be the goal rather than eking out the last bit of performance just to strain the machines.
+1.

My question wasn't really on achieving max speeds.

The extra power and throttle responsiveness at higher speeds makes for a more relaxing drive, particularly on the really long drives. I've realized this in the recent Blr-Kolkata and Blr-Hyd drives - if you step on the pedal and the car moves slowly it does become a bit frustrating when you're driving for hours altogether.

If a loaded 90hp punto tops out at 120, 150-165 sounds realistic for the heavier t-jet.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 31st December 2013 at 16:49.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:52   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
+1.

My question wasn't really on achieving max speeds.

The extra power and throttle responsiveness at higher speeds makes for a more relaxing drive, particularly on the really long drives. I've realized this in the recent Blr-Kolkata and Blr-Hyd drives - if you step on the pedal and the car moves slowly it does become a bit frustrating when you're driving for hours altogether.

If a loaded 90hp punto tops out at 120, 150-165 sounds realistic for the heavier t-jet.
There is something seriously wrong in your Punto if its getting out of breath at 120 Km/hr, it easily manages to do 140-160 km/hr for longer time even if its loaded, but obviously not advisable to do such high speed for longer duration.
Better get your car inspected at FASS.
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:42   #2064
BHPian

Is there something wrong with Fiat dealerships?

Called Kashyap in Okhla and then Caffe in Janpath a few minutes ago - Kashyap made me feel like I was waking them up and then put me on hold for 10 minutes. Ended up hanging up.

Caffe in Janpath, again a muffled half awake voice, asking me which variant of the T-Jet I was looking at - almost as though he wouldnt entertain me if I was looking at the base. Got called back, salesperson says he'll come over for a test drive after lunch - which I pointed out is most of the day upon which he gave some vague time.

Really surprised at these guys, and am totally reconsidering keeping the Linea is my consideration set.
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:53   #2065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Caffe in Janpath, again a muffled half awake voice, asking me which variant of the T-Jet I was looking at - almost as though he wouldnt entertain me if I was looking at the base. Got called back, salesperson says he'll come over for a test drive after lunch - which I pointed out is most of the day upon which he gave some vague time.
Really surprised at these guys, and am totally reconsidering keeping the Linea is my consideration set.
Sorry, I did not get what’s surprising in this. They returned your call to say that they can bring in the car for a test drive. Yes, the time probably was not convenient for you, but agreeing to bring the car for a TD just on a phone call is pretty good customer service IMO.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:58   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
All the enthusiasm that the sales executive lacks, would get compensated by the turbo-kick of T-jet Take a test drive and you might have a tough time convincing yourself to settle for any other car in its segment.

I agree that the staff at Caffe is very lethargic. I went there for a cup of coffee couple of months ago. Since I parked my T-jet in front of the CCD (next to Fiat caffe), the manager didn't know that I own a T-jet. I was checking the display model (Dynamic variant of T-jet) when a guy walks up and says "Sir, this is the top model with all the features". I corrected him that this is not the top model as the tyres are of 15" not 16". He went and checked with the girl standing next to Punto and she confirmed that it indeed was the Dynamic variant. He smiled with an expression "Sir, galti se mistake ho gaya".

One would expect the staff at Fiat Caffe to be more informed and prepared than rest of the outlets/showrooms. Fiat needs to take the training of its sales staff more seriously.

You might want to try Oberoi in Sector 62, Noida. I purchased both my Fiats from there and I would rate the sales executive (the one I dealt with) there as competent and cooperative.

PS: I have no association with Oberoi. Recommending them because the purchase experience on both my Fiats was positive.

Last edited by Biraj : 3rd January 2014 at 20:01. Reason: typo
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 22:02   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
The process quoted is OTR. As per the dealer the cars are Oct 13. Waiting for the VIN number.
Got the Vin number. Its a August 2013 make. Shall I go ahead and confirm?

4 months old, considering 1.3 lakh discount on OTR, is it a worth to pursue?

Please give your comments
Old 4th January 2014, 15:46   #2068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Got the Vin number. Its a August 2013 make. Shall I go ahead and confirm?

4 months old, considering 1.3 lakh discount on OTR, is it a worth to pursue?

Please give your comments
Keep the 4 month as a reason for more discount / freebies. Most likely they will relent, especially if the car has been in their yard.
Old 4th January 2014, 17:16   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry, I did not get what’s surprising in this. They returned your call to say that they can bring in the car for a test drive. Yes, the time probably was not convenient for you, but agreeing to bring the car for a TD just on a phone call is pretty good customer service IMO.
Maybe I should have been more clear on what surprised me - a sheer lack of enthusiasm. Ok fine, granted dont expect anyone to jump up from their chair when a customer calls - but sound a little interested maybe? As for the time, I said anytime is fine with me tell me when you can come - definitely was not expecting a vague answer such as "anytime after lunch." Respect the other person's time and be more specific. Of course, you may disagree - but my point is proven when the guy didn't show up or call to cancel/ reschedule.

Further, this my second attempt to get a test drive, first when I even met a salesperson who promised I would get a call plus a test drive the next day.

Skoda brought their car around for a test drive within a few hours of my phone call, the salesperson called me when he was leaving as well. Of course, he also hasn't gotten back to me either and I don't really like chasing someone to give them MY business so that's that I guess. That's how I operate, am sure people may feel otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
All the enthusiasm that the sales executive lacks, would get compensated by the turbo-kick of T-jet Take a test drive and you might have a tough time convincing yourself to settle for any other car in its segment.
PS: I have no association with Oberoi. Recommending them because the purchase experience on both my Fiats was positive.
Hahaha.. that's quite funny. But if I'm put off by the very first interaction, I leave very little hope for any improvement. Am considering a few other alternatives, a few pre-owned as well; let's see what works out.
anantnehru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 20:24   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, but this "You will forget everything else when you drive a Fiat" is so cliched. Agreed they make some fine machines to suit enthusiasts. But Fiat can't take everything else for granted. If they are that bl**dy confident of their machines, they should start an ad with the tag line - "We don't believe in giving TDs / Good customer experience / A$$ - But we can do a favor by selling you one from the already limited production orders we get" !!

We have been discussing / reading on corrections & action plans & road maps from Fiat; but it's pathetic to see nothing has changed much in the very bottom lane to get a customer. As long as they behave like this, their exclusivity will remain so. With the buying power of people increasing & with multiple options, it's time that Fiat gets an iron fist on their (premium) showrooms and services.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th January 2014 at 20:34.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks