Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 16:54   #2116
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, but what's 0414??
04014 means 4th week of 2014 year. The first two digits represent week of manufacture and last two digits year of manufacture.
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 20:49   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Many Many congrats r0ckstar!! a great decision a fantastic product and hope you have a great ownership experience!
Thanks puchoo..I do follow your thread closely and very pleased to have made the choice to own the TJet.

I am yet to start penning down the initial ownership report. For whatever reason, my workload has increased after buying the TJet It pains everyday to see the car idle in the portico, only to be taken out on weekend. Have done about 500km till now, with one quick drive to Ranganathittu with family. The civics and corollas on mysore highway were struggling to keep in pace with me . More in the ownership report.

Two quick questions to the experienced owners the engine start process and initial RPM.

1) When the key is turned to MAR position, i hear for the sound for oil pump and a few seconds of running sound, press the clutch fully and then i crank the starter. THis has been my procedure with my previous car (skoda Fabia) and I continue to do so. Is this what you too follow? I somehow feel that just with quick cranking (without the pause at MAR and oil pump run), will damage the engine.

2) At start the idling RPM is at around 1200, which when left idling for 30 seconds, will drop to 850 or so. I think this is to prewarm the turbo and i feel safe to move the car only after it has dropped down to 850. I have read the turbo idling thread and many suggest to do the same. However, when checked in the owner manual, they have no specific mention of idling at start or switch-off. I am confused.

Appreciate a quick clarification on the above please.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I have bought a black T-jet too. It has been a worthy replacement for my Palio. I have so far covered about 2400 km and I am loving it.
Congrats deepakhon !! Please do share your initial observations and learnings with the forum, especially the new owners. Black looks the best, if kept clean I envy Karthikk's TJet, every time I come across his thread. but, i just can't take care of this car like he does. Post photos of your jet whenever you find time.

I think we should have a "Show-off your TJet" thread, with nothing but creative photos of their car. Owners may be part of the photos, but not mandatory (unless it's an italian model posing with it)

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th February 2014 at 09:17. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 17th February 2014, 21:00   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Yep , one of many Murphy's laws , the minute you have something you want to enjoy , you do not have the time for it!!

I personally wait for the pump to stop running before cranking the engine. The only exception being if i end up stalling the car at a traffic light or something and i need to move quickly - but this rarely happens.

The manual actually mentions that you can drive off and that driving will heat the car faster than idling but advises you to be restrictive for the first few kilometers with respect to your speeds and RPM etc , however , by virtue of habit , bad or otherwise ,i typically do not start driving till the RPM comes back to idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Thanks puchoo..I do follow your thread closely and very pleased to have made the choice to own the TJet.

Two quick questions to the experienced owners the engine start process and initial RPM.

1) When the key is turned to MAR position, i hear for the sound for oil pump and a few seconds of running sound, press the clutch fully and then i crank the starter. THis has been my procedure with my previous car (skoda Fabia) and I continue to do so. Is this what you too follow? I somehow feel that just with quick cranking (without the pause at MAR and oil pump run), will damage the engine.

2) At start the idling RPM is at around 1200, which when left idling for 30 seconds, will drop to 850 or so. I think this is to prewarm the turbo and i feel safe to move the car only after it has dropped down to 850. I have read the turbo idling thread and many suggest to do the same. However, when checked in the owner manual, they have no specific mention of idling at start or switch-off. I am confused.

Appreciate a quick clarification on the above please.

Cheers

Last edited by puchoo : 17th February 2014 at 21:05.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 21:11   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I personally wait for the pump to stop running before cranking the engine....

i typically do not start driving till the RPM comes back to idle....
Thanks for the quick response. I do wait for the pump to stop running before cranking. Will do my best to wait for normal idling RPM, atleast in the run-in period of about 2000kms. Sometimes it's difficult to wait when traveling with family.
Old 17th February 2014, 21:14   #2120
Senior - BHPian

The thing is you dont need to wait for normal idling speed , you can drive off but be easy on the car till it heats up , i do it only out of habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I do wait for the pump to stop running before cranking. Will do my best to wait for normal idling RPM, atleast in the run-in period of about 2000kms. Sometimes it's difficult to wait when traveling with family.
Old 18th February 2014, 09:50   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
I have one concern though which I want to ask all of you experts and the new car owners (Raps, deepakhon, and others) to guide and comment on. Every time I am pressing the brake there is a mechanical screech/sound which comes. Is it that the car is brand new or is there a fault? Will this sound go away in due course? I am reluctant to take the car to the service center so soon. Please advice.

There is no problem in the braking function as such and otherwise the car is excellent.
Congrats Higgs, wine is a wonderful color on T-JET.

I have driven around 800kms and do not get to hear screech sound while breaking, will share my experiences in my ownership thread.
Old 20th February 2014, 12:04   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I did a short 140-150 to check for any vibrations ...

I can't wait to take my Jet for a 120-130kmhr tour of the Kasara Ghats asap!!

160kmhr ... Easily, I hit 150 testing the new tyres on the EEH.
New tyres need some time to bed down; at least 500 km. Please don't drive at these speeds till you've done about 1k km on them. You risk skidding / losing control otherwise. There are numerous posts on this all over the forum.
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:30   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys! So, we all complain of Linea not having any bottle holders right!

I recently got hold of bottles that fit just right! The big ones fit in the front and slightly smaller ones fit just right at the back!

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20131005_154922.jpg

Actually these are 'Fruit Juice Flavour Concentrate' bottles form the FoodWorld store near my house. Next time you'll come across the juice section of FoodWorld, check if they have these!

Edit : The big ones fill ~1L and small ones ~750ml.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd February 2014 at 23:35.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 19:15   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
I have one concern though which I want to ask all of you experts and the new car owners (Raps, deepakhon, and others) to guide and comment on. Every time I am pressing the brake there is a mechanical screech/sound which comes. Is it that the car is brand new or is there a fault? Will this sound go away in due course? I am reluctant to take the car to the service center so soon. Please advice.

There is no problem in the braking function as such and otherwise the car is excellent.
Congrats on the car, I'm sure it will be one of the best decisions made by you, it surely was one of the best i made!
Regarding the screeching sound of the brakes, even i had faced the same issue during the first month. Had taken it to Pandit Auto in Pune to take a look. The mechanic took a TD and said that there is some "unevenness" on the part where the brake meets the disc. He said that this sound is normal and will fade over time and with regular use. However, i insisted on having it fixed since i didn't like the sound at all. Then he filed/ cleaned that part (i guess it's the brake pad but not sure ). This procees took a couple of hours. Once he did "the fix" the screeching sound stopped coming and the brakes continued to work as well as before.
So you can either wait for it to fade out or if you hate the sound you can visit the dealer and get it fixed faster.
Old 27th February 2014, 09:03   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post

I have driven around 800kms and do not get to hear screech sound while breaking, will share my experiences in my ownership thread.
@Raps, congrats :-) That a nice color on the Linea T-jet. Do start your ownership thread and post your experiences!
Old 28th February 2014, 19:49   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post

Thanks Raps! Yes the car looks stunning and is a head turner!! Glad to note you are not facing the screeching sound. Look forward to your ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibrain View Post
Congrats on the car, I'm sure it will be one of the best decisions made by you, it surely was one of the best i made!
Regarding the screeching sound of the brakes, even i had faced the same issue during the first month. Had taken it to Pandit Auto in Pune to take a look. The mechanic took a TD and said that there is some "unevenness" on the part where the brake meets the disc. He said that this sound is normal and will fade over time and with regular use. However, i insisted on having it fixed since i didn't like the sound at all. Then he filed/ cleaned that part (i guess it's the brake pad but not sure ). This procees took a couple of hours. Once he did "the fix" the screeching sound stopped coming and the brakes continued to work as well as before.
So you can either wait for it to fade out or if you hate the sound you can visit the dealer and get it fixed faster.
Thanks Sahibrain. Yes it is a relief to see a fellow bhpian who has faced and overcome a similar problem. I have now done about 460 kms and the screeching is coming down i.e. it is becoming less frequent. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a busy phase at work. Guess I will wait and watch for a while.

Otherwise the car is scintilating!! Most of the cars simply do not catch up!!

One question to the experts, I am cautiously keeping the rev counter to less the 2200 rpm in each gear, but the car is so tempting, I sometimes cannot resist crossing 120-130 and then calm down and get back to 80-90. The question is will this occassional burst of speed cause any harm in the first 2500 kms?
Secondly, I do not follow is start routine just start and go. But when I can stop to park the car, I wait for 45 seconds before turning off the engine.
Old 1st March 2014, 00:37   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Modern engines do not need to be run in. In any case these occasional or even regular high speed driving will not make any difference to the engine.

What will make a difference is driving off without allowing the turbo to get its diet of life giving oil. Get in the car crank up & then put on your seat belt, adjust your seat, mirrors etc. take the first quarter kilometre or so easy and this is good enough for the turbo to get its breakfast and run happily ever after.

Quote:
One question to the experts, I am cautiously keeping the rev counter to less the 2200 rpm in each gear, but the car is so tempting, I sometimes cannot resist crossing 120-130 and then calm down and get back to 80-90. The question is will this occassional burst of speed cause any harm in the first 2500 kms?
Secondly, I do not follow is start routine just start and go. But when I can stop to park the car, I wait for 45 seconds before turning off the engine.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:22   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibrain View Post
I am facing the exact same sound and it's been close to 5 months and over 7k kms driven. The braking-screeching sound was there from the 1st week and inspite of flagging it in the 1st service, it still persists - 5 months later and i Hate that sound. Totally uncalled for in a new car.

However, the SA at the service station here has offered for it to be picked up and get it rectified. Hopefully its nothing major and gets resolved.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:31   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
I am facing the exact same sound and it's been close to 5 months and over 7k kms driven. The braking-screeching sound was there from the 1st week and inspite of flagging it in the 1st service, it still persists - 5 months later and i Hate that sound. Totally uncalled for in a new car.

However, the SA at the service station here has offered for it to be picked up and get it rectified. Hopefully its nothing major and gets resolved.
Exactly, the sound IS very irritating.. I am guessing it's not major since the brakes do continue to work great! However, in your case you should definitely get it rectified, since it should have "auto-corrected" by now.. keep us posted!
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:52   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hey guys! So, we all complain of Linea not having any bottle holders right!

I recently got hold of bottles that fit just right! The big ones fit in the front and slightly smaller ones fit just right at the back!
Good find I have been on a similar search since long time for my Punto. Any idea weather punto and linea has same sized door pockets? Was wondering whether these bottles would fit into Punto door pockets also. If yes, I should get a couple of these.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 3rd March 2014 at 12:05. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks