Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:52   #2251
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Ford will, apparently, be launching the facelifted Fiesta without the option of a petrol automatic at all. The Fiesta autobox, also dual-clutch, sold not at all. Even the vento tsi+dsg isn't really selling much, I think. Sure, the DDCT will improve its image among aficionados, but, in all honesty, I doubt it'll sell much really on the T-jet, though it might on the MJD?

You cannot really argue with the bean-counters on this subject, I am afraid. Sure, the dualogic AMT, the same one as on the Maruti celerio and the Tata Zest, would do decently, IMO, but then you wouldn't find it quick-shifting enough, would you?

That's Fiat in India for you: caught between us (ahem) 'aficionado-s' and the mass market that only wants ASS+resale, and will still not buy your car even if you provide one or both!

Ongoing improvements in marketing have a while to run. Like you, I am hoping to replace one or both of our five-year old Fiats for new Fiats with exciting but reliable new tech (next year or only 2016?): dualogic/DDCT/multijet 2/multiair VVT?

cheers

Last edited by desdemona : 3rd June 2014 at 01:56. Reason: spelling
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:11   #2252
BHPian

I've driven crappy automatics and good automatics when I lived in the US, and I know the difference.

I'd rather have a manual than a crappy automatic, which can be hell to endure. Based on the reviews here, official and otherwise, I'd run in the other direction from an AMT.

But a good automatic correctly matched to engine characteristics can be heaven. Super fast shifts, always in the correct rev band, always eager and ready to go, so much faster than shifting manually. This can be invaluable in stop-and-go turns (where you have to shift up) and in hairpin bends going up (where you have to shift down).

It makes driving much more enjoyable - for me at least where I am less concerned with "operating" the car and more involved in the driving.

I can understand the desire for mating a diesel with an automatic - a good combo of these would be my preferred choice as well (subject to budget of course). I say this from a FE and need to fill-up perspective. I wish I could have driven from Bangalore to Mangalore with one full tank in my TJet, but chickened out and filled in 10 litres both ways before reaching the destination because I didn't want to get stalled somewhere. I wouldn't have had that worry with a diesel, with its higher FE. By all accounts, the Laura, current Octavia, Jetta diesel automatics are all very good. A relative has an Audi Q5 3.0L diesel automatic, and he's very happy with it. Of course, all these are way out of my budget :)
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 10:52   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Glad to read that you are in a better mood with regard to the FE now . I would love a fast auto as well , this car deserves one and would seriously consider buying one if they do come out with it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Just back from a Bangalore - Mangalore - Bangalore trip.

This was my first real highway trip (the one I did in October 2012 was in a convoy that went at 60-75 kmph speeds).

The handling of the TJet was impeccable. It sticks to the road like a leech. Never once, despite throwing it around Shiradi ghat curves, did it behave unpredictably. The dynamics, steering and brakes are absolutely awesome too.

Despite its power, I was wishing for more on the highway; I wish it accelerated faster when already at triple-digits. I also wish it had a fast acting automatic transmission. The single best thing Fiat can do to improve this vehicle is to give it an automatic that shifts quickly. The full potential of this engine can be realized.

I drove without concern for FE.

I averaged 11.6 km from Bangalore till Shiradi Ghat. In the Ghats, it dropped to 11.3 and stayed there. The MID is always optimistic, and tankfull-to-tankfull method calculates to 11 kmpl. I forgot to note the MID #s after reaching Mangalore :(

I drove faster on the way back, and averaged 9.6 kmpl with an average speed of 62 kmph (including Shiradi Ghat). Travel time was 5:50, trip distance 366.2 km.

For the round trip, distance was 748 km, average speed 55 kmph, average mileage 10.3 kmpl and travel time 13:22.

Anybody that loves driving and has budget limits should buy the TJet, period!
Old 6th June 2014, 22:00   #2254
BHPian

Well, 'fast' auto boxes connotes dual-clutches to me and I for one would be totally reluctant to invest in one, mainly because I am not sure of the vaue FOR ME of speedy gear changes.

I like speed as much as the next guy, but perhaps not for gears on the T-jet, what with its wide torque band. And an autobox on a relatively open highway feels redundant TO ME, I'd be happier just with an autobox that relieves me of the tedium of gear shifting in the city.

What I am saying I guess is that I'd be more than happy with the Dualogic AMT, the same one that will be on the Zest and the Celerio, made by Magneti Marelli (Fiat) .

Fiat need to research the question: methinks the prices at which this AMT can be offered and serviced will be too compelling to bother with the small market for the dual-clutch DDCT? Especially for the diesel, maybe EVEN for the T-jet.
Old 7th June 2014, 15:04   #2255
BHPian

Got my Fiat Linea serviced a week ago from thrust Fiat , Moti nagar.It was opened around first week of may this year.The service adviser was courteous and patiently listened to problems I faced.I had asked them to change engine oil and they gave excuse that how it will void warranty and so on but later agreed and changed oil , oil filter , air filter changed.total bill was approx.5500.The service adviser tried to push for all those "extras " but relented to it when I flatly refused it.

Apart from this , I had ask them to make two remote duplicate keys ( both remote) as the original key stopped functioning ( It had rusted from inside) so upfront I gave them Rs4000 as advance and they said it will be delivered within 10 days still to hear from them.
My car's rear curtain stopped retracting and I had asked them for replacement but was unavailable.This workshop still does not have bodyshop and have a skeleton crew.
I would rate Thrust Fiat 9/10 for basic services and 3/10 for problem solving.Overall I am satisfied with service.
The problems I am still facing is that on rough roads the steering moves by itself ( despite wheel alignment) and there is rattling from left seat belt.

Talking about long journeys I did it two weeks ago traveling 700kms in 16 hours in one day with 100 kgs of luggage , 3 passengers encountering worst of the roads and the car performed admirably with a fuel economy of 12.3km/l with 100% A/C in 42 degrees heat .The car did not struggle in climbing steep slope with all that luggage.

The car was dirty inside and I gave the car to 3M car care ( it costs same amount to get interior cleaned in Thrust fiat ) in Kailash colony, Delhi for Germi clean and body wash.Also I got carbon fiber wrapping for for A and B pillars.Work done was satisfactory except in case of carbon fiber wrapping in A pillar which was bit below standard.
Carbon fiber wrapping does cost a bomb though.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 19:13   #2256
BHPian

The problems I am still facing is that on rough roads the steering moves by itself ( despite wheel alignment) .

Hi. Are you sure you are not mistaking the steering's orienting towards the incline (camber, it is called, I believe?) of the road for a steering alignment issue? Most roads have a slight incline towards the edge, for obvious reasons.

cheers

Last edited by desdemona : 7th June 2014 at 19:13. Reason: deletion
Old 7th June 2014, 19:55   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Are you sure you are not mistaking the steering's orienting towards the incline (camber, it is called, I believe?) of the road for a steering alignment issue? Most roads have a slight incline towards the edge, for obvious reasons.

cheers
@desdemona-Its not pull to right or left but steering turns automatically to right or left in case of broken tarmac unless you hold steering wheel tightly and there is slight humming in steering rack.I have not faced it any other car I have driven.

Some photos of my Linea after 3M interior cleaning and wash.The second picture shows black sealant application

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140531_026.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140531_015.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140531_005.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140531_009.jpg  

FrozeninTime is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 20:55   #2258
BHPian

Hi.

Doesn't necessarily sound like an issue, the Linea's steering is very feelsome for exactly this reason: it communicates what's going on with the front wheels. Have them check it out at the FASS, but i wouldn't be too worried.

The car looks resplendent in that colour, what with the 3M treatment too! I do feel they should've continued this Oceanic Blue colour in the new Linea. The T-jet, especially, calls for some slightly more racy or expressive colour choices, no?!
desdemona is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 21:10   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi.

Doesn't necessarily sound like an issue, the Linea's steering is very feelsome for exactly this reason: it communicates what's going on with the front wheels. Have them check it out at the FASS, but i wouldn't be too worried.

The car looks resplendent in that colour, what with the 3M treatment too! I do feel they should've continued this Oceanic Blue colour in the new Linea. The T-jet, especially, calls for some slightly more racy or expressive colour choices, no?!
Well they just gave only a car wash , the type given in service center but the way these 3m guys did this mundane job is simply superb that too for just Rs 390

On other note, I checked out the new Linea when I had given my car for servicing and the interior quality is excellent and I dare say interiors of Linea is better than new Honda city but is just shade below Jetta especially door pads.I liked the soft cloth like material used in center of the dash.The facelift is okay as bumper looks odd and doesn't gel with rest of the car.I also felt Fiat should have continued oceanic blue colour as option.

Regarding the steering issue I will have it checked in next service which is due in 3 months.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 7th June 2014 at 21:13. Reason: To correct errors in sentences
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 21:28   #2260
BHPian

Went and had a look at the new tjet today and was quite impressed. However some of the plastics are a bit pedestrian and of quite low quality. The moonbeam color looks very nice on this car.

Just wanted to check if any of the new owners have managed to get a discount?
Old 7th June 2014, 22:56   #2261
BHPian

Hi.

No discounts from Fiat, obviously, but one can get 20k to 30k worth of discounts/accessories from the dealer, maybe.

Its interior plastics are at-par or better than the competition IMO. Many interior materials like the beige softouch fabric-like plastic on the dash, the roof lining, the rear sun blind, the padding for the roof of the boot, and especially the leather seats are class-best too, IMO. A few interior plastics are on the harder side, but of good, durable quality. The exterior plastic panel at the base of the windshield, out of view though it is, does seem a bit poor, admittedly. Overall fit and finish really is excellent, only more so when compared to 2010 when i bought the Linea 1.4 Fire, which had a couple of loose ends.

The car feels to me rich, sumptuous in a way my older Linea doesn't, though that car had that fantastically evocative exterior styling that exulted in Italian! ;-)

Happy to answer any other queries on the new T-jet!

cheers
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 10:39   #2262
Senior - BHPian

So having to get approval from my father to buy a sedan, he started off with the sunny :( I showed him comparative prices of other sedans and he opened his mind a bit. So he pushed me onto the vento and city petrols.

Then i started talking about the verna to open his mind a bit more and finally when i told him about fiat his mind which was opening up a bit, started to close its doors! Well long story short, i finally managed to convince him on the all significant fact that the previous gen linea tjet had a 1lakh discount and 2014 manuf!

So its going to be the active edition. Now for the 1lakh discount, which is basically an exchange bonus, the dealer says i just need to give them a copy of any car's RC book. Is there any catch to doing something like that?

On road the price comes to Rs.7,57,545
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:49   #2263
BHPian

The T-jet, even if the Active trim, is a very great steal at that on-road price, so congratulate your dad from my side, will you?! ;-)

The RC book copy query: I believe that is the standard procedure.

cheers

Last edited by desdemona : 9th June 2014 at 13:50. Reason: incomplete
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 19:04   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Thanks and sure i'll pass on the message If all goes well might be booking it on Wednesday. Trying to get them to round it off to 7.5 :P
Old 9th June 2014, 20:49   #2265
BHPian

Took a test drive of the tjet top end today. The guys came on time and the service is good. Engine is superb and really very peppy but the gears are a bit soft to me. Clutch and brakes are also very good.

The biggest let down for me were the interiors. The whole black rubber beading on the inside if the car left me cold. Some of the plastics feel extremely cheap to the touch, specially the seat levers.

On the whole, while I enjoyed the drive I really didn't like the interiors at all.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks