Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 00:42   #2296
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
Guys I was planning to shift from the Selenia to Motul 8100 X-Cess on my T-Jet , I have had very good experience with Motul's fully synthetic oils on my bike and want to apply the same to my car too. Has any one ever used the Motul 8100 on their T-Jets? and Moreover I wanted to ask someone from Delhi NCR owning a Linea , if they have got service done from a non-authorized dealer i.e. a good mechanic or service center who will be willing to add the Oil of my choice.
My car is still running on Selenia however, even I am tempted to try a fully synthetic oil. I was thinking about Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Sid Indica (it should be Punto now ) in his ownership thread has posted details about getting the oil changed to liqui-moly at Fucon outlet in Sector 11, Noida. You might want to take the latest feedback from him.

Just a word of caution - changing the oil can backfire if (god forbid) an issue occurs with engine. The service center can take a sample of oil for testing and deny warranty/extended-warranty if the oil doesn't match the standard prescribed by Fiat. So please tread carefully.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:21   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anugrahlall View Post
Another query: What pressures do you maintain in the tyres? The specs say 36 front/33 rear at full load AND 33 front/30 rear at medium load. Not able to decide which one is best and there fore posing the question to the experience in the forum.
I have always maintained 34/32 in my tyres ever since I bought my T-Jet, irrespective of the car load and experience has been good in both handling and ride.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:59   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I was planning to shift from the Selenia to Motul 8100 X-Cess on my T-Jet , I have had very good experience with Motul's fully synthetic oils on my bike and want to apply the same to my car too. Has any one ever used the Motul 8100 on their T-Jets? and Moreover I wanted to ask someone from Delhi NCR owning a Linea , if they have got service done from a non-authorized dealer i.e. a good mechanic or service center who will be willing to add the Oil of my choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
My car is still running on Selenia however, even I am tempted to try a fully synthetic oil. I was thinking about Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Sid Indica (it should be Punto now ) in his ownership thread has posted details about getting the oil changed to liqui-moly at Fucon outlet in Sector 11, Noida. You might want to take the latest feedback from him.

Just a word of caution - changing the oil can backfire if (god forbid) an issue occurs with engine. The service center can take a sample of oil for testing and deny warranty/extended-warranty if the oil doesn't match the standard prescribed by Fiat. So please tread carefully.
I am on Motul 8100 X-Cess and can vouch it not just works fine. It is smooth!
johy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 13:07   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
After doing extensive search of specs and suitable replacement for Selenia, I came up with the Motul 8100 X-Cess as it is exactly same in specs as the Selenia. The observation and temptation to change the oil came from the usage of fully synthetic on my bike. When you do a spirited run (Either on a car or a bike) , just notice under the hood a tick-tick sound is produced and is audible enough. The noise of engine cooling down. But after running on synthetic oil for a month or so the sound is totally vanished on my bike and it seems like a good sign to me.
Similarly, when I switch off the engine on the T-Jet, I have observed the similar sound and I assume that if I move to a fully synthetic oil of the same specifications , my engine would be better protected , in turn enhancing the life of the engine and smoothness. Smoothness on my bike has improved after running on synthetics for 6 months approximately i.e. the oil has fully bonded perfectly with the engine now perhaps.

Let me see whether I decide on the Motul or not , I still have one year of extended warranty left and have 18k on the Odo, Another option is Mobil 1, but somehow I feel Motul Oils are better.
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 17:33   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Now, if the specs are exactly the same (even though one is a semi and the other fully synthetic ) then what is the point of changing oils brands/types.

The pinging ticking noises are just cooling down noises they or their absence cannot be a criteria for determining an oils effectiveness. My Mitsubishi came factory filled with 8100XCess and the engine regularly fed on the same still makes pinging noises when cooling down, so is the 8100 not good enough then?

BTW oil will not bind itself with anything. I believe what you wanted to say was that it's seeped in to all of the nooks and crannies of the engine block and since this would lead to the lubricating film being formed instantaneously thereby allowing the engine to function better, that is smoother and with lower noise.

I too toyed with the idea of switching from Selenia in my TJet+ to Motul but then the cost did not justify the switch and since Petronas makes great quality products, I decided to stick with the same. Infact I am switching my Swift from the usual oils fed by MSM to Selenia itself.

Quote:
After doing extensive search of specs and suitable replacement for Selenia, I came up with the Motul 8100 X-Cess as it is exactly same in specs as the Selenia. The observation and temptation to change the oil came from the usage of fully synthetic on my bike. When you do a spirited run (Either on a car or a bike) , just notice under the hood a tick-tick sound is produced and is audible enough. The noise of engine cooling down. But after running on synthetic oil for a month or so the sound is totally vanished on my bike and it seems like a good sign to me.
Similarly, when I switch off the engine on the T-Jet, I have observed the similar sound and I assume that if I move to a fully synthetic oil of the same specifications , my engine would be better protected , in turn enhancing the life of the engine and smoothness. Smoothness on my bike has improved after running on synthetics for 6 months approximately i.e. the oil has fully bonded perfectly with the engine now perhaps.

Let me see whether I decide on the Motul or not , I still have one year of extended warranty left and have 18k on the Odo, Another option is Mobil 1, but somehow I feel Motul Oils are better.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 17:42   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I too toyed with the idea of switching from Selenia in my TJet+ to Motul but then the cost did not justify the switch and since Petronas makes great quality products, I decided to stick with the same. Infact I am switching my Swift from the usual oils fed by MSM to Selenia itself.
Thanks for the informative answer and yes I agree, your argument does make sense. But a question is that: are there options in the FASS to add Selenia Mineral and Selenia Synthetic i.e. Different Selenia oils . I am sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I have never inquired about this at the service centers and neither the service centers have ever given this option. A little light would be appreciated.
Old 20th June 2014, 17:52   #2302
Senior - BHPian

At the Fiat service centres only the semi synthetic version of Selenia is available. So you do not have thae option of mixing per se. However you can procure Selenia "Pure Energy" from the open market, this being a fully synthetic variant and have the FASS pour the same. However, as pointed out earlier by fellow members it may lead to violation of warranty t&c.

Quote:
Thanks for the informative answer and yes I agree, your argument does make sense. But a question is that: are there options in the FASS to add Selenia Mineral and Selenia Synthetic i.e. Different Selenia oils . I am sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I have never inquired about this at the service centers and neither the service centers have ever given this option. A little light would be appreciated.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 18:14   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
The FIAT ASS will never suggest you anything other than the grade or brand they have stocked, that too, in bulk, at bulk rates ! I think almost all car makers ASS follow similar practices. Bulk rates, can be RIDICULOUSLY low. (The printed "MRP", on any item, is an eyewash and the biggest SHAM that civilised India is forced to digest day in day out!) For any consumable, like oil or filter etc, there are huge margins for the ASS: so why would they suggest anything else?

It is probably ONLY Selenia, which has Selenia K for Petrol and Selenia WR for diesel. Both semi synth. WR is OK for petrol but not vice versa: and my petrol engine has had WR filled in place of K.

IMHO for moderate daily driving, Selenia semi synth, is a good enough oil, as many owners would have probably experienced. You wont believe, I didn't too, but a person in my office, uses 15W40, of a common brand for his 75HP, and its running quite well, has reached 80k kms with no major issues. He is no bhpian; gets his ride serviced locally. But, he is a very careful and sedate driver, and properly maintains his cars. I think if you are in no mood to push your car to the limits, and use fuel from a reliable outlet, the stock brands of ANY consumable is good enough. Upgrades offer very minor differences to be observed in day to day use.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 20th June 2014 at 18:37.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 22:08   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
The culprit were spark-plugs. All four were changed and the car has become smooth again, and there's no vibration while idling. How many KMs has your T-jet done? The spark-plugs are supposed to be changed at 30K KMs or 2 years (whichever is earlier).

I had upgraded the low-beams to Phillips XtraVision (same wattage). I didn't find any perceptible difference, instead it conked off within a year. I switched back to the OEMs (which in fact is Osram) and they have been doing the duty well.

EDIT: The spark-plugs of T-jet are quite expensive when compared to MJD. It's ~Rs. 815/plug so, ~Rs. 3260 for the entire set of four.
27000km done. Spark plugs were changed last year (car hasn't done km much since 2013), but I will recheck. Anyway, there's no perceptible problem as such, engine and steering are otherwise fine - just wanted to check if it's a common observation.

I see the MJD spark plug gaffe already taken care of

As for bulbs - the XtraVision are the blue tinted bulbs? bad choice - they give whiter light, but ultimately *lesser* light. Never choose blue tinted bulbs, the deeper the blue coating, the whiter the light - but also lesser the light. A mild blue tint like on Osram Nightbreakers is tolerable, but bulbs like Diamond Vision, Crystal Vision - strictly avoid.

I have Osram NB H1 bulbs, for H7 low beams, will check NBs again, if higher wattage aren't safely usable.
Old 21st June 2014, 09:55   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi.

btw, do post impressions, observations about your new Linea. You've already done a fair few miles.

cheers
Initial impressions are good so far...Coming from a Santro..it is a giant leap and most of my miles have been sedate driving. Not complaining because the car has a good pull even at low speeds. You cant really feel the weight of the car. On the highway, it is a beast. The amount of torque at low revs is just amazing..very helpful in overtaking.

There is only one complaint that I have, though:
The spare wheel is a Accelere 195/55 R15 Steel wheel. I dont mind it being a steel wheel but i would expect the tyre make and size to be the same as that of the other wheels which are Goodyears 205/55 R16 Alloys. I plan to exchange the spare wheel and get the same size tyre.

Apart from that, every thing is very functional, nicely designed. Things like the rear curtain are not to be seen in other cars in the same range. Rain sensing wipers, Automatic climate control, automatic headlamps are great too.

Ground clearance is just too good considering it is a sedan.

All in all a good buy, especially if you like to drive
anugrahlall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 11:23   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
When you do a spirited run (Either on a car or a bike) , just notice under the hood a tick-tick sound is produced and is audible enough. The noise of engine cooling down. But after running on synthetic oil for a month or so the sound is totally vanished on my bike.
As far as I know:

When the engine is running, the oil pump pushes the oil around under pressure. When the engine is switched off after attaining full operating temperature, the oil in various lubrication channels starts dripping back into the oil pan due to gravity. This is the "tick----tick----tick" sound that is heard for some time. This was common in many cars, and has zero significance.

Why your bike has stopped making the tick noise, however, is a mystery to me. Was more than the recommended amount of oil used when you switched to Motul? A couple of mm of oil always present in the oil pan could be masking the sound.
Old 21st June 2014, 16:48   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
As far as I know:

Why your bike has stopped making the tick noise, however, is a mystery to me. Was more than the recommended amount of oil used when you switched to Motul? A couple of mm of oil always present in the oil pan could be masking the sound.
My Bike does not have more than the required oil in the oil chamber , but it surely is an observation which I quoted after driving the bike on fully synthetic oil for a year now. And I hope to see similar results in my car, but I am not sure and cannot comment on the same till I try the oil (motul 8100). I am trying to source the oil from a vendor in Noida.
Old 21st June 2014, 19:30   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anugrahlall View Post
The spare wheel is a Accelere 195/55 R15 Steel wheel. I dont mind it being a steel wheel but i would expect the tyre make and size to be the same as that of the other wheels which are Goodyears 205/55 R16 Alloys.
Are you sure the spare wheel is 195/55 R15?
If so, this is not good, the steel wheel & tyre should have been the regular size of 205/55 R16
Old 21st June 2014, 19:55   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
If so, this is not good, the steel wheel & tyre should have been the regular size of 205/55 R16
With the "relaunch" of the Linea in the first quarter of 2013, they started providing a smaller steel wheel as spare (the center headrest in the back seat disappeared, the back seat does not fold forward, etc.). My Tjet is a 2013 May manufactured Emotion (then top of the line), and it came with a dinky steel spare. I shelled out extra to buy an alloy of the same size & type as was on the car. I wanted the spare to be the same size; with the spare, you're restricted to 80 kmph, if I remember correctly.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 19:55   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
yes, that is the case. Cost-cutting eats another car. Earlier Verna and Linea were the only cars to offer spare alloy, now I think even the Verna does not.
There are no 16" steel wheeled cars , all have alloys only in 16" and above.

TJetters,
bit of a noob question, but how do you drive the TJet in urban conditions, do you keep the RPM low or do you tend to stay in the turbo-zone (2000rpm and above) ? I have seen/heard a few TJets as observer, to be silent, so the drivers were keeping them at low revs, like regular cars. Do you get better fuel economy by staying below the 2k rpm mark ; or by using the turbo-boost ? My question is specific to urban driving only, highway is Bournvita motto !
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks