Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 15:02   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The oil filter was indeed changed, did I post something to the contrary? Maybe the fact that you can see only the fuel and the air filter boxes in the snap misled you. In fact I have been trying to get the local MASS to change only the oil filter for my Swift with a top up of the lost oil. BTW my Swift runs on OWS, it is a good oil nothing exceptional and I want to use the half a litre sitting in the can as it is expensive.

The reason I want to stick to the OE oil & other liquids for the Linea is 'cause Petronas makes great products (Selinea, Tutela, Paraflu) and they are so much more economical than some of the bigger brand names like Mobil, Shell etc. Since the oil is made in Malaysia, it at least takes care of the mixing issues mentioned by you.

I have had two vehicles do 100000+ kms and another one that turned the clock twice over and never flushed the engine on any one of them. Maybe diesel engines with longish milages may be the right candidates on account of the Sulphur content in the diesel itself or higher carbon deposits on account of the diesel combustion itself.

Interesting bit about the ECU but whether the 7BHP gain is worth the 20K spend is debatable, also is there any improvement in the torque too? BTW is this proven on a dynamometer somewhere or just hearsay? Do update when you have more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi sir, any reason/belief you didn't get the oil filter ? ( Generally people recommend changing the filter during oil change.)

Have you tried any other oil for your Jet? I've come across OWS40 (something like that - will confirm by morning) that my friends say is exceptionally good.

Also, I have a MJD, I changed the oil recently and plan to stick to mineral rather than shift to Synthetic Oil since some people reported oil leaks after shifting to Synth post long term Mineral oil use. They said it opened up some deposits that mineral oil had caused over long term.

Reason I'm pulling up this topic is that recently I read that as per SAE regulations, if anything <49% recycled oil is mixed by companies in new oil, they don't need to disclose the same and it can be sold as mineral oil. (And this being India I'm sure manufacturers are using any such ₹₹ saving rule to the hilt.)

Also, do you feel engine flush (during regular oil change) could possibly do any harm (like removing long term deposits). I personally felt engine flush not necessary thinking that it may do more harm than benefit and plan to simply change oil every 10k kms. Also in the sense - why change something that's working fine.

Lastly, I have news for T-Jet owners (if you'll don't already know) : The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version! That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes he engine run more silently (subjective to oil).

Best of all it can be procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

Will try to provide detailed info if people here haven't come across this. Actually I came across this in a FIAT forum where one of our beloved and knowledgeable members got his Jet remapped and since his ECU got conked off (for a completely different reason), he got another ECU from KHT - F.A.S.C. in Bangalore.

Waiting for replies!

(Dear Mods : Hope I haven't exceeded smiley usage as I'm typing from iPad and can't make out if it's more than 2. Pls pardon me incase.
Warm Rgds.)
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 20:24   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Here you go

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-1img_20141026_205107308.jpg

Similar container in the other car has a FIAT label IIRC, will check and repost if it is so. All were bought from the dealer and came in FIAT packaging.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-1img_20141026_205358149.jpg

That's the mat, grey silver in colour which looks a bit different under my phone's flash and the mat has rubber on the back side to keep it from slipping pretty heavy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Hi,

Please share a picture of Fiat's car freshener and the industrial finish mats.

I couldn't locate them on Team-Bhp.

Best rgds,

Siva

Last edited by khoj : 28th October 2014 at 20:26.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 21:39   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Grainy snap through the dirty second floor window pane of the service centre but then no prizes for guessing it's the peoples car from Italy's northern neighbour, maybe that's why there are so many people affixed to it
ha,,ha,, I enjoy the humour despite the fact that I have acquired one of the peoples car. I enjoy driving Fiat but it is a pity that they do not make effort to cover the segments and engine options.
Old 30th October 2014, 17:20   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Lastly, I have news for T-Jet owners (if you'll don't already know) : The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version! That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes he engine run more silently (subjective to oil).

Best of all it can be procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

Will try to provide detailed info if people here haven't come across this. Actually I came across this in a FIAT forum where one of our beloved and knowledgeable members got his Jet remapped and since his ECU got conked off (for a completely different reason), he got another ECU from KHT - F.A.S.C. in Bangalore.
Thats excellent news!! I was waiting for something like this specially after so many people having done DIY stuff with the cruise control ECU hack last year even before Fiat rolled it out officially.

It would be really great if you can share the details , this might be the thing i had been waiting for before taking off in a Jet!!
Old 31st October 2014, 11:51   #2420
BHPian

I just called Oberoi Fiat in Noida and they are still not aware of FASS selling Europe Specced ECUs here in India. The service incharge told me that he will get in touch with the Fiat Technical team and get back to me.
Bangalore Guys are lucky , I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Thats excellent news!! I was waiting for something like this specially after so many people having done DIY stuff with the cruise control ECU hack last year even before Fiat rolled it out officially.

It would be really great if you can share the details , this might be the thing i had been waiting for before taking off in a Jet!!
Old 2nd November 2014, 19:54   #2421
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures, sir.

That mat seems a good choice for functionality. Do you know where I can get a set?

Quote:
Here you go

Attachment 1303547

Similar container in the other car has a FIAT label IIRC, will check and repost if it is so. All were bought from the dealer and came in FIAT packaging.

Attachment 1303548

That's the mat, grey silver in colour which looks a bit different under my phone's flash and the mat has rubber on the back side to keep it from slipping pretty heavy too.
Old 5th November 2014, 11:28   #2422
BHPian

Guys, I need some advice on my 24-month service for my T-Jet. I need to get my fluids/lubricants changed. Have not faced any major issues so far, touchwood.

Well, sadly there is no Fiat service center where I live, the nearest center being 500 odd kms away, so I am getting it done outside (friendly neighborhood garage). I got my engine oil changed a year back at the same place with good results.

As per the manual, the following are to be changed and I am subsequently ordering the following from 99rpm.com for my T-Jet.

I trust they should be okay. I look forward to pointers from other members:

1) Coolant: Paraflu Up Antifreeze Coolant x 8 liters

As per manual, it says 7.6 liters of 40% Paraflu Up and 60% demineralized/distilled water needed. However, the Paraflu bottle seems to says do not dilute, so I am a bit confused.

2) Brake Fluid: Tutela TOP4| DOT-4 Brake Fluid 1 liter (0.5 liter is needed I think)

3) Gear/Transmission oil: Tutela TECHNYX| 75W-85| 3 liters ( I think 2.2 liters is needed)

4) Power Steering fluid. Tutela GI/E Transmission| Steering Fluid 1 liter. I think 1.03 liter is needed.

I hope these suffice. Waiting for inputs from learned members.

Cheers!

Last edited by johy : 5th November 2014 at 11:45. Reason: Edited details regarding Coolant.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:29   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Hi johy, You have got all the quantities correct. I would however advice you to get 2 litres of brake fluid, the reason being that in my car the mechanic did the bleeding from only the front right wheel. Which while ok is not correct. The bleeding should be from the entire circuit starting with the master cylinder and the from each of the slaves in every wheel well, starting from the farthest wheel(left rear) and progressively coming to the closest wheel(right front). In my case the job was done in 0.5 lts and per the correct procedure you will definitely need 1+ litres. The correct procedure is indeed mentioned in one of the threads(specific to Linea or Punto) here in the forum itself.

Also the coolant is not to be diluted in the case of ParaFlu.

I do not see engine oil. Are you not buying that or using another brand etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, I need some advice on my 24-month service for my T-Jet. I need to get my fluids/lubricants changed. Have not faced any major issues so far, touchwood.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:42   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Hi johy, You have got all the quantities correct. I would however advice you to get 2 litres of brake fluid, the reason being that in my car the mechanic did the bleeding from only the front right wheel. Which while ok is not correct. The bleeding should be from the entire circuit starting with the master cylinder and the from each of the slaves in every wheel well, starting from the farthest wheel(left rear) and progressively coming to the closest wheel(right front). In my case the job was done in 0.5 lts and per the correct procedure you will definitely need 1+ litres. The correct procedure is indeed mentioned in one of the threads(specific to Linea or Punto) here in the forum itself.

Also the coolant is not to be diluted in the case of ParaFlu.

I do not see engine oil. Are you not buying that or using another brand etc?
Thanks Khoj for your help...so it means i need to get 8 liters or so of Paraflu Premix (However, your earlier post says you got only 6 liters of Paraflu mix???). Thanks, I will get 2 liters and not 1 L of brake fluid. If possible please post the link for bleeding for the Punto. Engine oil change was done at 12 months to Synthetic (Motul), so not doing it now.

Edit: This is the link for the brake bleeding.

Last edited by johy : 5th November 2014 at 14:50.
Old 5th November 2014, 15:46   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that is the link indeed and the clutch takes the same fluid so you will require 2L. As for the Coolant, out of the 6L the car took only 5.3L as I have a 2/3rd bottle left over.

Quote:
Edit: This is the link for the brake bleeding.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 14:48   #2426
BHPian

Thanks Khoj,

Also any of you folks changed from the OEM brakes to Brembo?
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 16:31   #2427
Senior - BHPian

I have not and don't think I ever will on the TJet. I like the brakes as they are on the TJet and the four discs along with the OE pads do an awesome job of keeping things in control. In fact I find that most of the components used on the TJet are of very good quality and maybe even better than some popular after market brand names.

Quote:
Thanks Khoj,

Also any of you folks changed from the OEM brakes to Brembo?
Old 16th November 2014, 08:14   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
Got the fluids changed yesterday at the trusted neighbourhood garage due the absence of Fiat authorized service center in my city, the nearest being in Kolkata. Earlier this week, Fiat Service (from Pune) called up to ask me "what the problem was." I blasted them saying there is no problem with the car, except you have orphaned her!

All went well, but the brakes. First time, I ended up with spongy brakes, even though the mechanic had bled it in the right sequence, and, as far as I could tell, seemed like the correct technique.

So he rebled the brake line again, with better results, but it was still a bit short. And yet again. Third time lucky, brakes are fine now, although sometimes I feel it is a few percent short!! It must be my paranoid self.

Thanks, Khoj, for recommending go buy 1+ liters of brake fluid.

The coolant also seemed to dip a bit after the change, topped up twice already. The second coolant dip was a bit less, after a spirited run last night. And the transmission has become so smooth!

Last edited by johy : 16th November 2014 at 08:16.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:22   #2429
BHPian

Hello friends. Took a TD of Tjet Emotion trim. Awesome at high speeds but a tad slow to take off - steering a bit on the heavy side at slow speeds, especially when compared to City or Verna. Just had one glitch on which I wanted a feedback from the experts here. The clutch pedal was too high for comfort and I found it really difficult to put it on rest with my heels on the mat (my shoe size is 8 (UK) btw). This caused a lot of strain while driving. Anyone else felt it that way or am i missing something very basic. Additionally, the space between the footrest and the clutch pedal seemed too narrow and I kept hitting it while trying to press the clutch. Also wanted a feedback on Torrid Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, the dealership here. They quoted a final on road price of 10.7 lakh. When I enquired about year end discounts, I was told that the company is yet to announce and they would keep me posted.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:39   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
Hello friends. Took a TD of Tjet Emotion trim. Awesome at high speeds but a tad slow to take off - steering a bit on the heavy side at slow speeds, especially when compared to City or Verna. Just had one glitch on which I wanted a feedback from the experts here. The clutch pedal was too high for comfort and I found it really difficult to put it on rest with my heels on the mat (my shoe size is 8 (UK) btw). This caused a lot of strain while driving. Anyone else felt it that way or am i missing something very basic. Additionally, the space between the footrest and the clutch pedal seemed too narrow and I kept hitting it while trying to press the clutch. Also wanted a feedback on Torrid Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, the dealership here. They quoted a final on road price of 10.7 lakh. When I enquired about year end discounts, I was told that the company is yet to announce and they would keep me posted.
Hey indiaashish, I am no expert however i had taken a test drive of T-jet myself some time back.
Yes, you are right, it's awesome at high speeds but no slouch at slower speeds, on the contrary the power surge you experience just as you start, remains throughout, low as well as high speeds & the vehicle, heavy that it is, yet begs to go for more.
I am 5 6" yet did not observe the clutch pedal to be too high, all at a comfortable level & felt no strain whatsoever. Could be a measure of what vehicle you usually drive & hence the effect of the changeover would be felt.
I drive a Tata Manza where the clutch pedal is at a much lower level yet the T-jet seems pretty smooth to drive because it does many things on it's own.
Also did not feel the space between the clutch & the foot rest to be of any discomfort.
On Torrid Motors, recently had a test drive for Fiat Avventura as they were the only one to get Avventura in Mumbai. The experience was pretty neat, the sales adviser was mature & courteous.
I had test driven the T-jet at Eskay Motors ( Prabhadevi ) however, & they too were quite good.
The quote you got for T-jet is spot on but if you are really going to buy one, wait a while. Since the new Linea T jet was introduced in 2014, they did not offer any discount whatsover on it, yet they offered a whopping rs 1,60000 on the Linea Classic T-jet for some period of time.
Come 2015 & Fiat is bound to offer hefty discounts on the new T-jet & by Feb you will also get a 2015 make vehicle.
The only deterrent for me into not going for T-jet was the FE as the Tata Manza with a 1.4 Safire petrol engine offered only 8-9 kms/ltr & the T-jet with an astoundingly powerful engine would not have been any different although the ARAI figs are 14-15 kml/ltr. This is purely a personal opinion.
The T-jet is an absolute bomb & you can't fault the vehicle from any angle. It's a complete complete VFM car at that price & should have been in the "D" class segment quite effortlessly.
Do post what you find.
regards,
Nagesh,
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks