Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 00:00   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The odometer in my Tjet+ has been flashing for some days now. The moment I switch on the ignition the flashing starts only to stop once the switch is turned off.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? I have not had the time to go to the service centre due to work. Have gone through the user manual but to no avail.
Old 6th April 2014, 00:14   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The odometer in my Tjet+ has been flashing for some days now. The moment I switch on the ignition the flashing starts only to stop once the switch is turned off.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? I have not had the time to go to the service centre due to work. Have gone through the user manual but to no avail.
Have faced the issue a few times but it goes away on its own after a while. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the -ve battery terminal and see if it helps.

Otherwise you would need to get "proxy alignment" done at FASS.
ZBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 00:34   #2163
BHPian

Quote:

I have faced it 3-4 times. On first occasion it was weak battery. On rest, it was Blue&me. Whenever the B&M stops working (not pairing with phone, not detecting USB), the ODO starts blinking. A reset of ECU (removing -ve terminal) usually works.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 12:05   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
My tyres and car are now 9 months old. I had gone straight from the showroom after getting delivery of the car to the tyre shop and swapped the OEM tyres.

One got damaged when about 3 months old - it got a nice big bump in the sidewall when I put that wheel into a crater I couldn't see at night on a regular city road. I made that the spare and made the spare the running wheel (remember I purchased a 16" alloy because I didn't want a mini spare; so all 5 wheels and tyres are the same).

The front left got a cut in the sidewall at about 6 months; no idea how that happened. Still using that tyre, the tyre shop where I got them said it was ok to continue using it. I'm leery of long drives though; one with a sidewall cut, one with a sidewall bump, and only 3 reliable tyres. Too risky. April first week have to go to another tyre store and check as to what to do. Throw more good money after bad (replace the two with new P7s) or buy two of a different brand and live with the difference. Damned either way.

Oddly, I bought the P7s after a bit of research. People here actually had good experiences. They're probably not good for bad roads, which are plenty here, plus the Linea is a heavy car.

When the second one got damaged, I was running on the minimum recommended by Fiat (only driver in car). A tyre shop in Chennai had told me to keep higher pressure on bad roads; he said tyres get damaged more easily with lower pressure. Figures. I've since gone back to 36/33 on a permanent basis.

Incidentally, my front shocks were changed under warranty at 700 km because they had no action at all - they were more like stiff iron rods. The back absorbers were changed a week back, at 5300 km for the same reason. I lived with a bouncy, jarring ride all this while. World of a difference now.

My mileage continues to be between 7.2 and 7.6 in the city. Probably the only T-Jet in the country so bad. Dealer workshop says everything's fine.
o wow, things seems to be going totally out of control and against your favour. Sorry to hear about that. But your experience seems to be similar to mine, and in the end I found out it was me the culprit.

1. Side wall damage- I have managed to damage 6 tyres i.e. 4 brand new yoko A drives on my Palio and 2 brand new yoko S drives on the jet. No idea about the Palios, but the Jet was all my mistake. Remember that these are 205/55/R16. A very thin side wall. I manage to hit a hump at 120kmph (thanks to KA state highways) on one side , and voila! gone were the sidewalls of 2 of the S drives. My tyres were hardly 200kms back then, Yoko sales-team inspected and told its good to go.
The tyres lasted for 38k and last week I replaced them with ST3. Reason, the tyres without sidewall damages got bubbles. So please dont blame the tyres for sidewall damage.

2. Mileage- I too manage to get figures you have stated viz. 7-8 kmpl in city and 11.2 -12 on highways. BUT, I manage to get 13kmpl in city and 19kmpl on highways as well ! .. Get used to engine braking and automatically you will be preventing drags. Drag is a FE killer for Jet, though its intoxicating it comes with a price-tag.

BTW your sidewall damage and low FE is clearly pointing to your driving style, no offence.

So for a week you try engine braking, do not drag and keep the car below 40 in city and below 100 on highways and check the mileage.

OTOH, the ST3 are good by far and have completed 1000 kms. I had the Yoko S drives fitted right at the showroom during delivery. So till date I was deprived of actual exhaust note of Jet since the tyre noise was dominating.

When I got the ST3, the road became silent, I felt there is a curfew outside and felt some issue with my engine since I never heard that note before in my life. I am completely intoxicated with the exhaust note so much that my FE has gone down to 11 on highways again due to drags. .

They are super smooth tyres and compliment the top-of-the-line suspension setup of Jet, they eat pot holes like chicken biriyani.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 6th April 2014 at 12:07.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 12:29   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
BTW your sidewall damage and low FE is clearly pointing to your driving style, no offence.
SP,

I don't baby the car, that's for sure. I am not a sedate driver. I don't come to a complete stop at every speed breaker and pot hole like some people do.

Re. my tyres: my driving style was the same in Chennai for ~ 6years, and I never hurt either the Bridgestone Potenzas or the Michelin XM tyres I had on my Baleno. The Potenzas were changed only because the treads had only another 5k kms left and I was going on a long trip and wanted good tyres. Chennai also has its share of bad roads and potholes. Not as bad as Pothole City, but bad nevertheless.

Re. FE:

I am not a slow-poke, but neither do I "drag". I would describe myself as a brisk driver. I also can't stand bad / poor drivers and super slowpokes, and will try to get away from them as soon as I can. I do understand this will affect my FE. I should, because I've been driving for almost four decades.

Our old Ambassadors in the '70s and '80s used to give at least 9 in the city. Granted traffic was a lot less then.

My 3.0L V6 Camry 5-speed automatic in the US gave at least 9.8 in the city, and they have bad jams there as well. My 1.6L normally aspirated Baleno in Chennai typically gave 10.7 in the city.

My driving style has stayed the same. A/C always on, windows up. I never ever lug the engine. I am very conscious of tyre pressure with the T-Jet; never bothered much with the previous cars.

Why so less with the T-Jet? One thing for sure, it hates to idle, and there are several lights in my typical drive. The red is for 80 - 120 secs, and many times I have to wait for two cycles to clear the signal. I don't switch off and the a/c is on. One can see the avg mileage drop like a rock in the MID while idling at a light.

I am trying to get another T-Jet owner (one that's had it for at least a couple of years) to drive mine so I can get a feel for whether it's the car or me.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:14   #2166
BHPian

Quote:

I had the same issue on my punto. Once I had reset the ECU by disconnecting battery for 15 minutes. It solved the issue immediately which resurfaced again after 3 days. Then I was advised by fiat service to get the battery checked which was found to be the culprit. I changed battery before 2 months and I haven't faced the issue again.
You could possibly get the battery checked.
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 18:20   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
SP,

I don't baby the car, that's for sure. I am not a sedate driver. I don't come to a complete stop at every speed breaker and pot hole like some people do.

Re. my tyres: my driving style was the same in Chennai for ~ 6years, and I never hurt either the Bridgestone Potenzas or the Michelin XM tyres I had on my Baleno. The Potenzas were changed only because the treads had only another 5k kms left and I was going on a long trip and wanted good tyres. Chennai also has its share of bad roads and potholes. Not as bad as Pothole City, but bad nevertheless.

Re. FE:

I am not a slow-poke, but neither do I "drag". I would describe myself as a brisk driver. I also can't stand bad / poor drivers and super slowpokes, and will try to get away from them as soon as I can. I do understand this will affect my FE. I should, because I've been driving for almost four decades.

Our old Ambassadors in the '70s and '80s used to give at least 9 in the city. Granted traffic was a lot less then.

My 3.0L V6 Camry 5-speed automatic in the US gave at least 9.8 in the city, and they have bad jams there as well. My 1.6L normally aspirated Baleno in Chennai typically gave 10.7 in the city.

My driving style has stayed the same. A/C always on, windows up. I never ever lug the engine. I am very conscious of tyre pressure with the T-Jet; never bothered much with the previous cars.

Why so less with the T-Jet? One thing for sure, it hates to idle, and there are several lights in my typical drive. The red is for 80 - 120 secs, and many times I have to wait for two cycles to clear the signal. I don't switch off and the a/c is on. One can see the avg mileage drop like a rock in the MID while idling at a light.

I am trying to get another T-Jet owner (one that's had it for at least a couple of years) to drive mine so I can get a feel for whether it's the car or me.
Hi Teacher! From the sound of it it is neither you nor the machine but the way the two of you interact in the diabolical context of Bangalore's roads and traffic! Methinks you ought to stop fretting and get on with the driving pleasure, such as is possible in Bangalore, of the t-jet. Cheer up man! Can I suggest long and restrained highway drives so as to boost the average FE figure?!!
Old 7th April 2014, 23:34   #2168
Senior - BHPian

I thought so too and checked the battery, it gives 12.6~12.3 Amps output with the engine shut off. Maybe I will have the ECU reset as suggested in some of the above posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
I had the same issue on my punto. Once I had reset the ECU by disconnecting battery for 15 minutes. It solved the issue immediately which resurfaced again after 3 days. Then I was advised by fiat service to get the battery checked which was found to be the culprit. I changed battery before 2 months and I haven't faced the issue again.
You could possibly get the battery checked.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 08:40   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
I thought so too and checked the battery, it gives 12.6~12.3 Amps output with the engine shut off. Maybe I will have the ECU reset as suggested in some of the above posts.
Did you check the battery output while cranking the engine. Ideally it should not go below 9 volts. My punto too had the output of 12.1 with engine shut off and 13.9 after starting. But during cranking the engine it went down to 8.2 volts. So I changed the battery and there are no issues till date.
Old 8th April 2014, 22:55   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Thanks Desdemona. Got the vehicle, shocks replaced under warranty. Was worried about the after sales service, but it proved to nice. It seems fiat is improving, they also washed the car at no cost.
The woes continues!!

The locks are behaving in a weird way. Closed through remote it will lock and get unlocked immediately. After few tries some time it may oblige. At times it works fine.

Also noticed that if parked under hot sun, the frequency of the issue is more?

Any clues what could be the issue?
Old 9th April 2014, 09:59   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
The locks are behaving in a weird way. Closed through remote it will lock and get unlocked immediately. After few tries some time it may oblige. At times it works fine.

Also noticed that if parked under hot sun, the frequency of the issue is more?

Any clues what could be the issue?
I had the same issue and the fault turned out to be a faulty door lock mechanism on the front passenger side door.

Got it changed at Balaji Thane, however, the experience wasn't exactly butter smooth! I gave my car and me and my wife went to a nearby mall to pass some time! Came back in the afternoon, checked the lock which had been replaced and the doors were locking just fine. Collected the car and drove out. We had gone barely 1km when the fault immediately re-occured!!

Took a u-turn immediately and went back to the service centre and reported the problem again. The lock was changed again and this time I was there when the lock was being replaced and checked out the spare as well. I noticed that the "new" that had been replaced was fresh out of the packing but was an old stock and this time insisted on getting a newer stock!

Mentioned it coz perhaps you too should keep the same in mind when getting parts replaced.

Got the "new" lock replaced there and then at no extra charge. There has been no problem ever since!

I don't recall my locks ever behaving more erratically out in the sun as compared to being in the shade.

Last edited by PGNarain : 9th April 2014 at 10:01.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 23:23   #2172
BHPian

Yesterday a sales executive showed me the offers for the month of April 2014. For the old model Linea Tjet it is something like 50k cash discount and free insurance. It is not publicised. Anyone planning to buy can bring this up with their dealer. However no offer on new model.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:08   #2173
BHPian

i posted in the used car prices forum
But posting here to get a sense from existing Linea tjet owners

How much should i pay for a pre owned 2011 tjet plus -top end model with around 18k kms done. This is in hyd - 3rd service is due in May'14 along with insurance
Budgeting 25k extra cost for both.
Since 3rd service is due from my pocket - anything else i may need to be mindful of -wrt expenses etc ?
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:07   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
SP,

Re. FE:

Teacher ... guess the FE is low because you accelerate hard. For the first five months i used to get a mileage of 8-10 inlcuding city as well as highway . I even got 3.67 kmpl once on a spirited drive up and down the Lavasa ghat nearby .

THis time on the trip to blore and back I exercised some self restraint partly due to a crack in the wind shield. THe results i got were glorious.

Pune to Bangalore (till destination) mileage was 16.4!! It dropped from 17 to 16.4 because of the Bangalore city traffic. In one stretch between Belgaum and the Hublic I got a mileage of 18.6 over 70 kms with an average speed of 70!

Just my cents here
  • Accelerate slowly.
  • Change gears around 2500 rpm mark so that the engine is always in the turbo zone.
  • Speeds of 80-120 should give you roughly the same mileage.
  • Above 120 the mileage goes down. It goes down significantly if you accelerate harder.
It was quite an eye opener for me to discover this side of the car's charachter this time!!
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:37   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My mileage continues to be between 7.2 and 7.6 in the city. Probably the only T-Jet in the country so bad.
Don't fret, my i10 4 spd AT with a measly 1.2L 80ps engine barely manages 8.00 kpl in Bangalore. Our city traffic is bad for FE and the waiting at red lights with engine and AC on kills whatever light footed FE extending tricks we try.

Try a steady run on a Sunday morning with few stops and normal driving. This kind of driving easily displays a 11.50 + kmpl on the MID of my Laura TSI (also a turbo petrol).

Try developing a habit of coasting 'in gear' instead of upshifting at every opportunity possible. Hit the throttle, get car moving a little faster than what normally you would and then get off throttle and coast till you feel the need to hit throttle again. Stay in third when normally you would shift to fourth and stay in second even if you feel like shifting to third. Do this only in city traffic where you know that you are going to have to slow down soon. On open stretches of course upshift all the way to fifth. This way you will reduce the number of times you change gears in traffic, and also you will stay in the turbo zone. The zone where your engine is at its most efficient state. Its producing more energy for every drop of petrol its burning, with help from the turbo. I have tried this in my Laura where on some drives I have not upshifted beyond 3rd and have still got better FE than what I would have got with upshifts to 5th, 6th etc...

Btw 6.xx , 7.xx , 8.xx kmpl are common figures on the mileage indicator of my Laura TSI too when driving in dense city traffic.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd April 2014 at 15:39.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks