Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 16:20   #436
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Bad news: My cousin' silver Etios VX which is exactly 1.5 months old has the bumper which has developed a paint bubble. Very small one though (about half the size of 25 paise coin), right in front of the grille..
Old 16th April 2011, 00:18   #437
BHPian

Is the Etios Hatchback launched? I heard some reports on this same thread about its delay to 2012.
However, i saw one onroad, with temporary registration numbers. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-img_00321.jpg  

Old 17th April 2011, 12:17   #438
BHPian

The top end diesel Etios liva will be priced 6.2 lakhs(Bangalore) and top end diesel etios will be priced 7.2 lakhs on-road. The production has already begun and will be surely be launched in june last week.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:24   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
The top end diesel Etios liva will be priced 6.2 lakhs(Bangalore) and top end diesel etios will be priced 7.2 lakhs on-road. The production has already begun and will be surely be launched in june last week.
Thanks Naparajito for sharing that info. Top end diesel Etios priced @ 7.2 lakhs on-road, is a very mouth watering preposition. I don't want to doubt the authenticity of this info, but then what is the source, is it highly reliable? Also the June launch seems to be very promising. Do you have any info on the engine specs. Is it going to be the same engine as in the Corolla Altis D4D?
Old 17th April 2011, 12:29   #440
BHPian

The source is a quality development manager in toyota factory. This source is highly reliable. They are pricing it 7.20 l on-road because dzire is 7.40 and doesn't have so many features. And ya it is the same 1.4D4d diesel but will have FGT.
Old 17th April 2011, 13:56   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The source is a quality development manager in toyota factory. This source is highly reliable. They are pricing it 7.20 l on-road because dzire is 7.40 and doesn't have so many features. And ya it is the same 1.4D4d diesel but will have FGT.
Thanks for that clarification & good to know that the info is from a highly reliable source

If this is really the price at which they are going to offer the Etios D4D, then I must admit they are going pretty aggressive (good for the customers). Would the FGT do the job in city traffic & overtaking on highways, only the elborate test drives here on TBHP can tell.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:37   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Etios Petrol top end (VX) is more than 8 Lakhs in Bangalore. Dzire Diesel ZDI is more than 8.4 Lakh on road. Etios V variant is priced closer to ZXi of Dzire. So expect Diesel V variant of Etios to be priced around 8.4 lakh (closer to ZDI) and VX Diesel to be priced around 8.9 Lakh on road price in Bangalore.
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:39   #443
BHPian

Any update what are the waiting periods for guys booking now ?

Thanks
Arun
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:56   #444
BHPian

Today's news in TOI says that production down to 30%. This will add minimum one month waiting period for Etios.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:08   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

just spotted the etios liva hatch near mandya the blue colored hatch was zipping away towards bangalore. Sorry could not click pics as i was driving towards mysore
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:56   #446
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this post actually belongs to this thread, but saw an Etios today in real and MAN!.. does it look ugly. It looks like a botched up Renault/Mahindra Logan. Suddenly DZire doesn't look so ugly.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:56   #447
Senior - BHPian

Had the chance to sit in and compare an Etios side-by-side with the Altis.

+ Points
* Space - Both my friend and I felt, cabin space is more than the Altis.
* Rear seat recline - seemed a tad better than Altis (slightly more reclined), and felt better to sit in than the Altis.
* Boot space - better than the Altis

While space is the USP of Etios, but it was still amazing comparing to the Altis.

* Tinny build - won't be surprised if the sheet metal is of 800's thickness
* Opening rear door from inside, gives a twang which sends vibrations through the door. Very 800 (or maybe the 800 was slightly better ?)
* Doesn't inspire confidence on the highway due to light build, and tinny sheet (in case of a collision etc).
* Gear lever is notchy and shifting is not smooth, unlike the Altis which is 'butter' smooth.

A couple of colleagues rejected the car due to its 'tinny' feel and cost cutting, and went for other cars (Dzire, Fabia etc).

It does seem a very practical city car (high FE etc) though. And at lower speeds, has ABS/EBD and airbags on higher variants!

Somewhere I read that there are no rubber beading on the Etios. But the specimen I saw had body coloured/painted rubber beadings albeit very low thickness compared to other cars.
Near the front and rear windshield, their seemed possibility for water/dust/debris to accumulate on the top of the glass till where the sealant seals off.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th April 2011 at 21:59.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:11   #448
BHPian

Guys, I was in the Toyota showroom today. Thought I'll take a peek at the etios just before I near the final YES-calling to book a fabia 1.6. The showrooms are a kilometer short of each other. And guess what happened? I eventually didn't turn up at the Skoda showroom as I really was taken aback by the offerings of the Etios. I had to give the sales guy at skoda an excuse why I was not going to be able to make it to their showroom. Anyways, last things last.

The Etios crowd pulling trick is the TOYOTA brand value. Of course, the car drives like a charm, handles pretty good, takes those curvy bumpy villages road nicely, a punch 1.5liter engine with about 100bhp/tonne. One can't really complain when you get all of these "functions" including alloy wheels and fog lamps for 7.7lacs on road in bangalore. Now, here's the difference.... Toyota has understood the Indian market well enough to lure them into giving them customers all the essential gizmos that the average Indian customer looks for, with plenty of space for the more than average weighted Indian. Add to that a 595liter bootspace... BINGO !!!

What impressed me most about the SKODA was the build quality even before the performance. (Let's not talk about their service division and resale value here as that discussion itself deserves to need another exclusive thread here on the forum).

I think the Indian driver has gone beyond appreciating a car merely for its 4 wheels that are powered by a motor (like the 800s and the Ambys and the Contessas), and with the ETIOS trying to bank on this same strategy of meeting demands of the customer compromising heavily on plastics and completeness for a 7lacs car, is like pushing the bars in an undesired direction which will only lure other car makers into entering this kind of a market.

I do not mean any offence here to anyone, but this feeling of being left undecided is taking its toll on me cos I too am now wondering on whether I should go Q class or no? After all, I'm yet another Indian customer who's looking for VFM. But, this product I feel is merely banking on the TOYOTA BRAND than the quality itself, cos had HYUNDAI/MARUTI released a product like this, one could only imagine the height/depth of criticism it would have to take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Once the diesel is out next year, this would be very popular with the taxi guys etc.
One of the main reasons that's stopping me from getting this one. Cos once the diesel is out, I'm sure it's going to them etioses which will replace the logans en route to the airport and back.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:34   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
One of the main reasons that's stopping me from getting this one. Cos once the diesel is out, I'm sure it's going to them etioses which will replace the logans en route to the airport and back.
Might happen soon, but in terms of overall feel of quality i feel the Logan was miles ahead of Etios. Don't know how the 'Verito' (renamed Logan) by M&M feels like.
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:56   #450
BHPian

Hi friends,

Me too have booked an Etios.Amazing overall package.Initially the waiting was 3-4 months.But a few days back I got a call from the dealer who informed that the waiting will be 5-6 months now,due to 30% production cut.

Each Toyota product commands a waiting period of more than 6 months now as per the dealer!!So much demand?Not sure. Etios,yes-may be because it is cheap for the goodies.Dids Toyota experience production problems always- which they camouflaged as "too much demand".(Hope this part is not off-topic).

Love, charthom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks