Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 14:18   #586
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Here it is, attached in PDF format. I think this is a one-off issue and the owner is frustated due to the lack of response/solution from the Toyota dealer in Madurai.
There is more problems in ETIOS - I guess the problems have crept in Toyota.

Check this link for other's problems of Etios Toyota is not listening.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:00   #587
BHPian

I wash my car every 3 days (it's black) and drove it many times when it was raining and I haven't had any water seepage issues till date.Engine noise can be bit of a problem if you try to to shift at 3-4 k rpm like you do in a sporty car.This issue was discussed many times here.If driven properly,this car can give a good fight to even those cars in higher segment.Cars like Figo,Polo,Punto etc also have many dissatisfied owners.But does it mean that those cars are 'garbage like'?No.Some of them are even segment leaders(so is the Etios) Most people criticise the Etios after seeing its price tag.

To me, the one and only problem is the FE.Just completed a 260km long journey and it returned only 12 per litre!I drove it very aggressively around the curvy roads in Kerala alright but even then it is unacceptable.My friend's Vento returns more than 13!Hope that it will improve after 2k km.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:19   #588
BHPian

Hi fast&furious,

What was the normal speed during the journey? Since the 5th gear of Etios is a bit short for highway driving, I think speeds above 100 on the highway would result in increasingly poorer FE. Is the comparison with Vento being done with similar "very aggressive" driving?
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:53   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post

To me, the one and only problem is the FE.Just completed a 260km long journey and it returned only 12 per litre!I drove it very aggressively around the curvy roads in Kerala alright but even then it is unacceptable.My friend's Vento returns more than 13!Hope that it will improve after 2k km.

I am sailing in the same boat as you are. City mileage is between 9 & 10 kmpl and highways is between 12 & 12.5 kmpl. I have completed around 1100 km so far. During my first service, my dealer assured me that mileage figures would improve as the engine completes the run-in period. I really hope it improves. What is the big deal about the low body weight in Etios if it cannot return better mileage figures?

Other than that (mileage), I must admit that Etios gives a far more pleasurable, comfortable and sporty performance than many other cars in this segment. The engine, cabinspace, seats and the overall feel are awesome. I am with you on this.

On noise too, the only noise that seeps in is the road noise at high speeds on highways. It was not really unwelcome to me. The only noise that could irritate us are the engine noise or rattles, both of which are not there in my Etios.

Last edited by amateurpro : 22nd August 2011 at 16:14. Reason: Minor typo
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:18   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hi fast&furious,

What was the normal speed during the journey? Since the 5th gear of Etios is a bit short for highway driving, I think speeds above 100 on the highway would result in increasingly poorer FE. Is the comparison with Vento being done with similar "very aggressive" driving?
Speed wasn't the main issue buddy.Since the road was very curvy,narrow,and full of potholes I had to decelerate and accelerate suddenly.Overtaking those pvt.buses was a pain.You get only a few seconds.The normal speed was above 80 and on straight roads went up to 120.Yes the Vento returned more than 13 during the same journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
I am sailing in the same boat as you are. City mileage is between 9 & 10 kmpl and highways is between 12 & 12.5 kmpl. I have completed around 1100 km so far. During my first service, my dealer assured me that mileage figures would improve as the engine completes the run-in period. I really hope it improves. What is the big deal about the low body weight in Etios if it cannot return better mileage figures?
Good news fellas good news!Had a chat with the sales executive outside the showroom.I told him about the mileage issue and he said many owners have been getting around 18 and 20!Even a 22 was reported a few days ago.He showed me the messages they sent him.I asked him about the FE in city and he said it should be around 12-14.He said this can be solved and asked me to take the car to the dealer when I get time.A few minutes later he asked me about the odo reading.I said 1250. He smiled and told me to wait until it completes 3k.Another fact I came to know from him is that Etios (generally) has a poor high speed FE when compared to other cars.70-80kmph is the limit if you're driving to save fuel .So,let's wait and see.
(I know this sales executive.He is a good guy and I'm sure he doesn't lie.)

Last edited by fast&furious : 22nd August 2011 at 17:30.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:45   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Good news fellas good news!Had a chat with the sales executive outside the showroom.I told him about the mileage issue and he said many owners have been getting around 18 and 20!Even a 22 was reported a few days ago.He showed me the messages they sent him.I asked him about the FE in city and he said it should be around 12-14.He said this can be solved and asked me to take the car to the dealer when I get time.A few minutes later he asked me about the odo reading.I said 1250. He smiled and told me to wait until it completes 3k.Another fact I came to know from him is that Etios (generally) has a poor high speed FE when compared to other cars.70-80kmph is the limit if you're driving to save fuel .So,let's wait and see.
Really good news. Let us wait and see. I somehow feel even the high speed mileage should be good as I had got 12.5 kmpl once with 100% highway driving once. The speedo was hovering around 120 kmph for most part of the trip. The maximum I touched was 135 kmph.
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:22   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Speed wasn't the main issue buddy.Since the road was very curvy,narrow,and full of potholes I had to decelerate and accelerate suddenly.Overtaking those pvt.buses was a pain.You get only a few seconds.The normal speed was above 80 and on straight roads went up to 120.Yes the Vento returned more than 13 during the same journey.
It's disheartening to know that Vento got better mileage with similar run!
Just to let you guys in on my mileage figure, today only I got latest FE figure on a tank topup. It's just 12 kmpl, but all in the city with AC on and 90% of it with short runs averaging 3-4 km each and done with some hard revving. Not too bad, eh?!

Quote:
Sounds logical. And sounds good! Mileage can improve after the run in. Having said that, a mileage of 18-20 sounds pretty optimistic. Maybe sedate driving on highway with light foot and speeds around 80-90 can do the trick.

Quote:
On noise too, the only noise that seeps in is the road noise at high speeds on highways. It was not really unwelcome to me. The only noise that could irritate us are the engine noise or rattles, both of which are not there in my Etios.
In my case, I have observed engine noise reduction with odo @~1900 km. At the same time, unfortunately, I have also noticed engine vibrations transmitting to the cabin. Details are available in my thread below
Quote:
...brief update on my ownership experience...

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 22nd August 2011 at 22:30.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:42   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Really good news. Let us wait and see. I somehow feel even the high speed mileage should be good as I had got 12.5 kmpl once with 100% highway driving once. The speedo was hovering around 120 kmph for most part of the trip. The maximum I touched was 135 kmph.
That's great news!I cant wait.I'm going for a 1750km long trip today itself...
Quote:
It's disheartening to know that Vento got better mileage with similar run!
Just to let you guys in on my mileage figure, today only I got latest FE figure on a tank topup. Having said that, a mileage of 18-20 sounds pretty optimistic. Maybe sedate driving on highway with light foot and speeds around 80-90 can do the trick.
Ya and the Vento has a similar odo reading too.

Not 80-90...he recommends 60 in 5th gear to get that kinda FE.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:04   #594
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sailing in the same boat as you are. City mileage is between 9 & 10 kmpl and highways is between 12 & 12.5 kmpl.
Quote:
Just to let you guys in on my mileage figure, today only I got latest FE figure on a tank topup. It's just 12 kmpl, but all in the city with AC on and 90% of it with short runs averaging 3-4 km each and done with some hard revving. Not too bad, eh?!

Sounds logical. And sounds good! Mileage can improve after the run in. Having said that, a mileage of 18-20 sounds pretty optimistic. Maybe sedate driving on highway with light foot and speeds around 80-90 can do the trick.

Frankly I do not subscribe to the theory that the mileage will improve. If you see that all new cars technically do not have a the run-in period like the old Fiat/Amby era where the car came with governors etc. If you read the manual I am sure that that it will say that there there is no prescribed Run-in other that do not brake hard and drive at variable speeds to settle the engine which logically cannot significant improve the performance. In the first service it is just washing and general check-up. However I do hope I am wrong and your FE does increase.

Please see that following thread and ensure that the same is not the case in your car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...omplaints.html

Cheers
Old 26th August 2011, 17:29   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Not 80-90...he recommends 60 in 5th gear to get that kinda FE.
lol. That means there is no room for getting that kinda FE! I can't see myself driving at 60 kmph on a highway!

What do you guys think would the sweet rpm range be for best FE? @60 kmph, I think the tacho hovers ~1750-1800 rpm? @75 kmph, the tacho is @~2000? And the rpm is ~3000 @110-120. Also, I wonder if the mileage would really deteriorte so fast upto 2500 rpm (~95-100 kmph?). Can I not hope to get a reasonable FE figure at least upto that number?

No doubt that the top gear in Etios is a tad short in the absence of a 6th gear. Because of that, one cannot practically expect to get very good FE on highways. But still, 60 kmph?!
Old 26th August 2011, 21:25   #596
BHPian

My two cents, fuel efficiency, its directly related to ones driving patterns, I have OBD and Torque app installed on my phone which shows realtime fuel efficiency and average fuel efficiency. These are some of the figures I recorded

1) ORR Drive (pathetic stop go, avg 15kmph) - 11.5 kmpl
2) Hosur Road (pretty good except for signals, avg 55) - 21 kmpl
3) Silk board to Old madras road and back in peak hr (avg 35) - 15 kmpl
4) Highway BLR - Tirupati - Hills - Bangalore (I touched upto 145 constantly above 100) - 16.8 kmpl - measured tank fill to tank fill

My observation is if you can drive it under 100, it can give a mileage number of 20+ easily with full AC.
vishnugs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:18   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
My two cents, fuel efficiency, its directly related to ones driving patterns, I have OBD and Torque app installed on my phone which shows realtime fuel efficiency and average fuel efficiency. These are some of the figures I recorded

1) ORR Drive (pathetic stop go, avg 15kmph) - 11.5 kmpl
2) Hosur Road (pretty good except for signals, avg 55) - 21 kmpl
3) Silk board to Old madras road and back in peak hr (avg 35) - 15 kmpl
4) Highway BLR - Tirupati - Hills - Bangalore (I touched upto 145 constantly above 100) - 16.8 kmpl - measured tank fill to tank fill

My observation is if you can drive it under 100, it can give a mileage number of 20+ easily with full AC.

Interesting. My figures for 1 & 4 are 9 kmpl and 12 kmpl respectively (as against 12 & 16 I used to get with my old Estilo that had similar ARAI figures). My odo reading is 1400 as of now. Mileage figures do not seem to improve with time.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:38   #598
BHPian

Quote:
My two cents, fuel efficiency, its directly related to ones driving patterns, I have OBD and Torque app installed on my phone which shows realtime fuel efficiency and average fuel efficiency.
Hi Vishnugs, Can you pls. let me know the best apps you have come across for FE ?
Old 5th September 2011, 10:39   #599
BHPian

Quote:
My two cents, fuel efficiency, its directly related to ones driving patterns, I have OBD and Torque app installed on my phone which shows realtime fuel efficiency and average fuel efficiency.
Hi Vishnugs, Can you pls. let me know the best apps you have come across for FE ? how they perform ?
Old 6th September 2011, 10:11   #600
Senior - BHPian

A very well written and detailed review.

But the central console and the lack of MID is a sure turn off.

Why cant we follow the norm of having the central console where it traditionally belongs?

A good car overall but the lacklustre console is a real downer.

Is this likely to change in the Diesel launch and a MID included?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks