Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 13:47   #9376
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I drive a 2016 Vento TSI and have so far had a wonder experience with it.

However last week, I had a mishap. The wrench symbol and the D3 symbols on the console suddenly started flashing and the DSG refused to change gears! I managed to pull over safely. I tried turning the car on and off, tried changing it to P, R, N and back to D and S but to no avail. It felt like one of the clutches had given way, because D2/S2 and R would not engage. Car would start in D1 and shift to D3 directly with a jerk because the RPM neared the red line and shift back to D1 with a horrible lurch when the RPM went too low and there was a danger of stalling.

Luckily I managed to drive to VW Sundaram Motors Whites Road, and the car, to its credit, didn't stall or create any other issues.

The garage verified the issue by taking a small test drive and told me there was a chance they could fix it with a master reset or else it would cost about 1.75 lakhs to replace the mechatronix! Subsequently I heard from the SA that the master reset didn't work.

Thanks to Team-BHP and GTO's suggestions, I had purchased the extended warranty. My car has run 99,920 KMS , which is just barely still in the extended warranty. Another 80 kms and I would have been left high and dry! Sundaram Motors has now started the warranty claim procedure.

The car is a stonker no other car in this price range even comes close, but with the DSG, you live by the fire and die by the fire.

Prospective buyers, proceed with caution.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 26th September 2019 at 13:49. Reason: Spelling
Chrome6Boy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 13:54   #9377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Thanks to Team-BHP and GTO's suggestions, I had purchased the extended warranty. My car has run 99,920 KMS , which is just barely still in the extended warranty. Another 80 kms and I would have been left high and dry! Sundaram Motors has now started the warranty claim procedure.

The car is a stonker no other car in this price range even comes close, but with the DSG, you live by the fire and die by the fire.

Wow! Consider yourself blessed
Besides, thanks for reminding us! We were thinking of exchanging the Manuel TDI for a DSG TSi thinking the petrol is more reliable.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:17   #9378
BHPian

Quote:
My car has run 99,920 KMS.
That was really close. 80+ Kms more and you would have had a big hole in the pocket.

Quote:
Now that they give 7 years of warranty, there is very little reason for anyone to not go for the DSG equipped cars from VW.

Apart from this, how was your experience with TSI?
Experience with regards to:

1. Driving Pleasure (Although it is very well known that it is brilliant)
2. Service costs and cost of spare parts
3. Warranty claims
4. Mileage and FE
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 15:03   #9379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Now that they give 7 years of warranty, there is very little reason for anyone to not go for the DSG equipped cars from VW.

Apart from this, how was your experience with TSI?
Experience with regards to:

1. Driving Pleasure (Although it is very well known that it is brilliant)
2. Service costs and cost of spare parts
3. Warranty claims
4. Mileage and FE
1. Absolutely amazing, never regretted buying this car, I like it even more than my Cruze.
2. It cost me about Rs. 10,000 to 15,000 per service (every 15000 kms) on average, this includes a couple of larger bills for the 75,000 km service and 90,000 km service. I was only charged for what was recommended changed as per the service manual nothing more.
3. I have had one other warranty claim to replace the audio system because of bluetooth issues. It took 3 visits a couple of emails to get it replaced free of cost.
4. I drive about 50% highway and I get 14 KMPL. I usually keep the speeds around 90 KMPH, it is the acceleration which excites me not the top speed.

I didn't know about the 7 year warranty! I would probably buy another TSI in future if not for my decision to go electric for all my future cars.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 15:24   #9380
BHPian

Quote:
1. Absolutely amazing, never regretted buying this car, I like it even more than my Cruze.
2. It cost me about Rs. 10,000 to 15,000 per service (every 15000 kms) on average, this includes a couple of larger bills for the 75,000 km service and 90,000 km service. I was only charged for what was recommended changed as per the service manual nothing more.
3. I have had one other warranty claim to replace the audio system because of bluetooth issues. It took 3 visits a couple of emails to get it replaced free of cost.
4. I drive about 50% highway and I get 14 KMPL. I usually keep the speeds around 90 KMPH, it is the acceleration which excites me not the top speed.

I didn't know about the 7 year warranty! I would probably buy another TSI in future if not for my decision to go electric for all my future cars.
It is really motivating to see that you had DSG issues only nearing a Lakh kms. Speaks a lot about the credentials of DSG as well as your driving skills. Moreover, calling Vento TSI better than Cruze is cherry on the top. Although, I may not agree to it.

What was changed during the 75K Kms and 90k Kms for the heavy bills?
The DSG gear oil need to be changed anytime? For Jetta it is said to be changed every 60K kms.

Do keep us updated about your warranty claims for the current issue. Best wishes, hope she comes on road roaring!
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 21:22   #9381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is normal behaviour. As the electrical load increase the idling speed increases to generate more power. Both Ac and Demister consume a lot of power

Thank you. This helps. It does not happen all the time but it happens sometime. Let me observe it for some more time and decide.
Old 1st October 2019, 15:06   #9382
BHPian

Hello,
Has anyone tried Mumbai's Kurla market for spare parts for vento, I am thinking of buying suspension parts from Kurla market.

Uday
Old 5th October 2019, 09:52   #9383
BHPian

Recently had to visit the Shaman Sewri workshop to sort out ABS light erratically staying on for exactly 2 mins. Found out the front right sensor needed to be changed. Was recommended to change the brakes as well. The Antenna was worn out so just changed the aerial as well and not the base. Not sure but the ABS sensor cost looked a little on the higher side.

Price list (GST excluded) as charged by A$$ -
Labor
Wheel Remove + Reinstall -146
Sensor Remove + Reinstall - 584
Brake Pads Remove + reinstall - 657
Brake Discs Remove + reinstall - 730
Brake System Bled - 365
Aerial Remove + reinstall - 146

Parts
Antenna - 1,336
Brake Disc - 2,027
Break Lining - 1,290
Paste - 98
Bolt - 34
Sensor - 3,077
Old 5th October 2019, 10:47   #9384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Recently had to visit the Shaman Sewri workshop to sort out ABS light erratically staying on for exactly 2 mins. Found out the front right sensor needed to be changed. Was recommended to change the brakes as well. The Antenna was worn out so just changed the aerial as well and not the base. Not sure but the ABS sensor cost looked a little on the higher side
I have observed that whenever the car goes for service or any other work at the Downtown Sewri workshop they recommend minimum 5 more things to repair or replace. The body shop manager is more aggressive than a FMCG field sales guy. The charges also somehow I feel is higher at their workshop.

After 2 years at downtown, I have now shifted to Autobahn Nerul. Let's hope they do some justice.

I would have preferred to take my VW to BU Bhandari Pune, but that needs a lot of pre planning and then for any urgent issue need to build some rapport to a close by service center.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 5th October 2019 at 10:48.
Old 6th October 2019, 00:47   #9385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Not sure but the ABS sensor cost looked a little on the higher side.
Yes cost is right for ABS sensor. I have replaced two of them.

Quote:
After 2 years at downtown, I have now shifted to Autobahn Nerul. Let's hope they do some justice.
I have been servicing my Vento with them for 7 years. One of the best workshop.

Have a word Mr. Tausif who is now Deputy Workshop Manager. If that doesn't work, speak with Ms. Nandini Rangnekar AGM-Service. She will see to that the issue is resolved to best possible way.
Old 6th October 2019, 08:13   #9386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Have a word Mr. Tausif who is now Deputy Workshop Manager. If that doesn't work, speak with Ms. Nandini Rangnekar AGM-Service. She will see to that the issue is resolved to best possible way.
You mean the Nerul workshop? And your reference would be?
Old 6th October 2019, 09:50   #9387
BHPian

Quote:
I have observed that whenever the car goes for service or any other work at the Downtown Sewri workshop they recommend minimum 5 more things to repair or replace. The body shop manager is more aggressive than a FMCG field sales guy. The charges also somehow I feel is higher at their workshop.

I would have preferred to take my VW to BU Bhandari Pune, but that needs a lot of pre planning and then for any urgent issue need to build some rapport to a close by service center.
Yes that is there. But then i have started to live with that. Most of the times i do end up saying no to at least 1-2 items which i think is not really really required. Also my experience with VW Kurla has been bad and VW Andheri is just too far away for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Well i am a regular there as well. They do have their blooper moments but most of the time i am quite happy with the response and the work done by them.
nick.cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 23:57   #9388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the Nerul workshop?
Its technically Turbhe, VW AutoBahn Turbhe Navi Mumbai Workshop.

Quote:
And your reference would be?
Using their service since March 2011 and I have seen a lot of VW Workshops come and go in that space of time.

Their technical expertise is very good.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:07   #9389
BHPian

Came back after a 1500kms long drive. My Vento TSI completed 5000kms.
Few niggles that were observed were :

1) Slight sound from the brakes (metal grinding) when gradually coming to halt (say near a speed breaker).
2) The ac button which directs air to face made a (katt) sound on pressing and since then won't come back smoothly after pressing it - anybody seen it on their cars ?
3) I have Volkswagen genuine sunblind accessory at the rear windshield which is fixed using clips to the roof-headliner. It tends to come out on rough roads. I am thinking of fixing it with some packing material between the clips and the roof headliner.

On the good side - got really great mileage on the trip nearing 18kmpl+ with a light foot. In the city it hovers around half of this or even worse in extreme traffic.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:10   #9390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I have Volkswagen genuine sunblind accessory at the rear windshield which is fixed using clips to the roof-headliner. It tends to come out on rough roads. I am thinking of fixing it with some packing material between the clips and the roof headliner.
I have exactly this same issue with my Vento as well as Ameo. I have removed it and kept it aside. During servicing asked the service guys to fix but they said it is the accessories guy's job and he has the tools to do it

Please do let me know when you have got a permanent solution to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks