Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2023, 14:03   #9841

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi All, I had taken the car to a washing center and it refused to start after the wash. Apparently they opened the hood and sprayed water. After sometime it started but the rpm is around 500-600 and no acceleration. After scanning the mechanic concluded to be ecm fault. There is epc and check engine light glowing when the ignition key is switched on. New ecm cost is way high. Is repairing a ecm is good option and any success involved or better to replace it. Kindly assist because I am confused on making a decision.
Old 1st September 2023, 15:14   #9842
adv
BHPian

Hello,
I need to replace the reverse camera on my 2018 Vento 1.2 TSI since the image is rather blurred and not serving its purpose. My FNG installed a camera which I don't really like; maybe it isn't the right make/ model etc.
Could anyone who has replaced a reverse camera on their Vento let me know which one I should get installed and where I might be able to source it? Anyone know the details of the stock camera that VW installed on their Ventos and where I can get one?
Thanks!
Old 1st September 2023, 15:50   #9843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayy View Post
Hi All, I had taken the car to a washing center and it refused to start after the wash. Apparently they opened the hood and sprayed water. After sometime it started but the rpm is around 500-600 and no acceleration. After scanning the mechanic concluded to be ecm fault. There is epc and check engine light glowing when the ignition key is switched on. New ecm cost is way high. Is repairing a ecm is good option and any success involved or better to replace it. Kindly assist because I am confused on making a decision.
Hey! Hope you got this resolved. I don't think there's such an issue reported so far! Any update?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 13:42   #9844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey! Hope you got this resolved. I don't think there's such an issue reported so far! Any update?
There was water in the ecm. I repaired it locally and no issues since then.

Hence request others to be careful when washing the car at local shops. Ask them to be careful in the engine bay or preferably monitor the process on your own. So such a mishap can be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
Hello,
I need to replace the reverse camera on my 2018 Vento 1.2 TSI since the image is rather blurred and not serving its purpose. My FNG installed a camera which I don't really like; maybe it isn't the right make/ model etc.
Could anyone who has replaced a reverse camera on their Vento let me know which one I should get installed and where I might be able to source it? Anyone know the details of the stock camera that VW installed on their Ventos and where I can get one?
Thanks!
I had replaced it at a local shop back in 2019. It's some Chinese make and working fine without any issues. If you want a branded one then you can try the one from Blaupunkt. Not sure if it's genuine or sourced out from China.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd September 2023 at 13:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
pranayy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 20:22   #9845
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have 2011 Vento TDI HL. It has done 130k kilometers. In the last service (on 5th Aug 2023), changed timing belt. Also noticed that coolant tank was empty. Service advisor suggested to replace the water pump and confirmed no leakage of coolant. Coolant reservoir tank had coolant level little above the max at the time of delivery. I now notice that coolant level has gone just below the min mark. Vehicle has run 5K kilometers since the last service.

I have observed for leakage on the floor, I could not find any traces of it. Vehicle is running fine except for occasional high idle RPM at about 1000 RPM as against 750. I am planning to take the car to service center (Bangalore, Rajaji Nagar, VW Palace Cross).

I just need your advice or recommendations as to what to look for and why the coolant level is slowly going down.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2023 at 21:19. Reason: Formatting.
Old 29th November 2023, 21:05   #9846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Hello Friends,

I have 2011 Vento TDI HL. It has done 130k kilometers. In the last service (on 5th Aug 2023), changed timing belt. Also noticed that coolant tank was empty. Service advisor suggested to replace the water pump and confirmed no leakage of coolant. Coolant reservoir tank had coolant level little above the max at the time of delivery. I now notice that coolant level has gone just below the min mark. Vehicle has run 5K kilometer since the last service.

I have observed for leakage on the floor, I could not find any traces of it.
We had a similar issue - there was a leak in the oil cooler apparently. The apparatus was replaced.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2023 at 21:19. Reason: punctuation.
Old 29th November 2023, 21:21   #9847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I just need your advice or recommendations as to what to look for and why the coolant level is slowly going down.
Quote:
We had a similar issue - there was a leak in the oil cooler apparently. The apparatus was replaced.
+1 to BHP-ian Turbohead's advice. If there's a leak from the oil cooler's cooling circuit, the coolant is probably dripping on a hot part of the block and evaporating, leaving no trace under the car (but you'll probably find dried coolant residue around where the leak is).

Get it checked thoroughly.
Old 29th November 2023, 23:03   #9848
BHPian

Cross posting from Skoda Rapid thread:

'Hello,

Looking for some urgent help.

I am having a 2012 Skoda Rapid TDI. Last week, I got the front seats taken out for installation of the seat covers. However, what caught my immediate attention was the seat frame, completely rusted and on the brink of collapse at few places.

On further investigation, I learnt that there was infact a recall for seat frames sometime in 2013 and the same was widely reported in the forum also. However, my car was never called in for such replacement.

Now, when i raised this with Skoda India, they have expectedly shrugged off any liability citing the age of the car and also informing that my car was not a part of recall campaign.

As I see it, it is quite improbable that the seat frames would give up like this unless there is something seriously off about them. Surprisingly, there is not even a glimpse of rust anywhere on the shell or any exposed panel of the car which further make me think that the frames were indeed not properly coated/galvanized or whatever ought to have been done. A known issue should be attended to irrespective of the age of the car. May be I would have continued for some more time with these rusted frames had they not been opened up for the seat covers.

I plan to escalate this to Skoda and would be glad if some references could be shared or emails of relevant personnel could be provided to effectively take this up. The customer care email available wouldn't yield much help in the matter.'
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-pxl_20231119_100811595.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-pxl_20231119_100805978.jpg  

torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 06:49   #9849
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
+1 to BHP-ian Turbohead's advice. If there's a leak from the oil cooler's cooling circuit, the coolant is probably dripping on a hot part of the block and evaporating, leaving no trace under the car (but you'll probably find dried coolant residue around where the leak is).

Get it checked thoroughly.
Thank you for quick revert @Turbohead and @Chetan_Rao. I will get the entire coolant circuit checked and update the out come
Old 30th November 2023, 20:04   #9850
BHPian

VW Vento TSI Automatic - two year ownership experience

It is over two years now since I bough my Vento TSI Automatic. I have driven it for over 30,000 kms; more than 70% of this was on highways. I have got two services done and, sadly, have had minor bruises inflicted on the car. I thought this was a good occasion to share my ownership experience with all.

A quick recap on why I chose Vento.

I always wanted a sedan. I consider the SUVs currently being sold as just taller hatchbacks and am not particularly fond of the way they perform. Further, there were other considerations such as (in order of priority)

1. Performance and handling
  2. Safety and vehicle sturdiness
  3. Looks
  4. Creature comforts
  5. Running costs

While I thought I would really care for mileage and re-sale value, somehow that seemed a bit inconsequential to me when I was making the decision regarding the car I would buy. I tested a few cars such as the Verna, i20, Ciaz, Rapid, a used Octavia and Polo. I found the Vento better than all others in almost all aspects. The Octavia lost out because of my doubts regarding the condition of the car and the Rapid lost out only because of the salesperson’s apathy towards me. All the rest seemed to focus more on in-car entertainment and comfort rather than pure driving manners and pleasure.

Two years on….

Let me give the final assessment right away. I am always eager to go on a drive with my Vento. It does well in city traffic (which I hate to get stuck in) and is absolutely brilliant on the highways. It inspires confidence, is stable at all speeds and is very comfortable inside.

The performance.

This is the factor that keeps on reminding me what a good decision I made in choosing the Vento as my car. It is quite hard to believe that this is a three-cylinder, 1-litre engine that does all the work. I can drive at any speed without worry, can manoeuvre easily through tight situations and best of all, am able to use all the 110 BHP at any time I want. Going fast around bends is a pleasurable activity, being first off the block from a traffic signal is thoroughly satisfying and braking is very good. What all this means is that I focus only on the drive and have nothing to worry about while I am on the road.

In the city traffic, I prefer using the Sport mode. The reason is that the TC automatic configuration results in a noticeable turbo lag especially when I want to make a quick overtaking manoeuvre. With the Sport setting, the lag disappears entirely except when the gear shifts down on breaking and I can experience a lurch when that happens. My earlier car was a Passat which had the DSG and I really miss that.

In the highway, all I do is hum my favourite song and drive on. The ‘D’ mode works absolutely flawlessly here. The cruise control helps out really well, too. I have done multiple trips from Hyderabad to places like Bangalore, Pune, Trichy, Mumbai, Indore and Udipi over the last two years and the only feeling I have after such trips is a distinct yearning for the next one. Even on bad roads, I never found ground clearance wanting. It is only near my home in Hyderabad where I found the elements scraping the under-belly. Actually, they are building a flyover and are also widening the roads. All the roads outside my house are dug up, uneven, potholed and a maze to test your response skills while navigating around the craters. For added fun, the road builders keep us guessing on where the new diversion for the day is. On top of this, we have the great public of Hyderabad who do not car about which side they are driving on and at what speed. This is where I have had three small incidents with two-wheeler borne, one-handed Biaggi’s of the world (the other had is busy with a phone while they ride and read messages at the same time). I will stop my rant here; maybe start a different thread to talk about the atrocities these morons commit and also devote a sizeable space to the worst vehicles in the world – the Tata Ace kind of load carriers.

Sorry about that. Back to more pleasant things now.

Fuel consumption

My Vento delivers an average of 10 kmpl in the city in D mode. It goes up to 12kmpl if I drive at slow speeds with as little braking as possible and goes down to 9 kmpl if I drive on S mode. On the highway, maintaining a constant speed of 100 kmph delivers a little over 19 kmpl. Highway drives combined with city drives in the same trip results in an average of around 15 kmpl. I usually use the tank full to tank full method and have also discovered that the MID display regarding consumption is quite accurate.

Creature comfort

I prefer not to be distracted with huge cinemascope screens, 22,354 buttons to operate and such. All I want is that everything I need should be within reach and should be easy to use. And Vento delivers on that front. The AC works really well even on searing hot days and the audio system is really great for my needs.

Running costs

Each of the servicing visits cost me around Rs.9,000 all included. This is a once-a-year expense and am quite okay with it. I am certain this will go up over the years but am equally sure it won’t grow astronomically.

Service experience

The VW centre at Hyderabad staff is quite good. They deliver on time and patiently listen to my feedback and also offer to do any follow up work free of cost. No complaints there thus far.

Things I miss or things that I do not like.

First and foremost, I miss the DSG. Vento had this in its earlier version (the 1.2 litre, I think) but for the TSI, they preferred giving us the TC. The DSG was better any day.

I also miss the auto ORVM close function. I have a habit of closing the ORVM after parking and have to remember to do that while still inside the car.

The armrest for the driver is not placed at the right position which is more evident when driving in the city. It also makes a creaking noise all the time my elbow is resting on it. Just an irritant but still quite intrusive.

The cup holders could have been a bit easier to access. Not a big bother but worth a mention here.

I still have not been able to figure out two things. The seating position I should have and the tyre pressure I should maintain. On the latter, the petrol bunk attendants advise 35 while the VW workshop people say 33. I do not any discern any significant change in driving feel but this is something I need to put to rest soon.

Now, for the overall verdict.

Vento is a car that makes me want to go on long drives. It puts a smile on my face even after driving through the horrible North Karnataka roads. Driving through ghats like Agumbe as well as some places in MP made me feel like the Vento was born to do this. It is a sin to drive this car slowly. Sedate driving of the Vento is like buying an iPhone 15 pro max to use as paperweight.

The Vento should be driven aggressively. It cries to be pushed to the limit. The fact that it allows me to use all the available power makes it a thing to look forward to. And it handles like a dream. I recall driving on the ghats on the way to Udipi in July and it raining very heavily. I had to reduce to 70 kmph on the ghats. That is how confident a driver it makes me – a person who calls himself a sedate and careful driver.

After driving this car for two years, all the factors we use while buying a car seem to become irrelevant. All that remains is – how happy are you while driving the car; everything else takes a back seat. There was a moment when I felt I should have waited for the Virtus (which was launched about 7 months after I bought my Vento). I spoke about this to the VW service centre manager and he said, “Saar, your car is better, saar. The new one is lighter and who mazaa nahi hai, saar.”

I do not care whether he is right or not but I know one thing. I am looking forward to the next long trip out of Hyderabad on my Vento.

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:07   #9851

Turbocharger acting faulty in my '11 Vento TDI

Hi all, I was out of town for the past 6 months. Here at home, Dad met with a minor accident in the Vento that damaged the lower left front of the car (pics attached). Since my Mom and Dad use the Alto and the Ciaz, the Vento was left untouched for these last 6 months.

However, on starting last week, I found that the car was starting with much shuddering (which I thought was normal for a diesel in the winters). Furthermore, the turbo goes unresponsive quite frequently. Half the time the turbo is activated at 2500~ rpm but the other half of the time the car behaves like a naturally aspirated one! It just refuses to boost. Inspected and found a Loose Hose (rubber pipe) hanging, supposed to go near the gearbox.

If someone can help in recognising the pipe and if it is related to the turbocharger issue? Otherwise the car has no leakages in the engine bay or elsewhere. Any and all help is appreciated.

Marked in red is the pipe and blue is where it (supposedly )should be.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20231205_082217069_hdr2.jpg  

Old 12th December 2023, 14:19   #9852

Hello everyone,

I own a 2013 vento 1.6 manual. There were some fault codes received on the dashboard. They were repaired and the ecm software was updated. Earlier, I use to get a gear indicator in the instrument cluster, though being a manual drive. But it has stopped showing me upshifts now. Whenever I rev to a higher rpm it doesn't show me next gear. What could be the reason for this. Does this need to programmed through a scanning tool or is it some sensor issue? Awaiting some guidance from this community.
Old 13th December 2023, 11:43   #9853
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for quick revert @Turbohead and @Chetan_Rao. I will get the entire coolant circuit checked and update the out come
An update on this issue. I have called the SA and he asked me to top up the coolant tank with water and try for few days. I added around 350 ml of water to ensure coolant level is between max and min mark and drove for few days and the coolant level has gone just below minimum level.

I have given the car to VW Palace Cross Rajajinagar (Bangalore) workshop to check the coolant leakage yesterday (12th Dec 2023).

SA informed me today that there is a leakage from radiator, identified it after pressure test.. Refer to the picture below. SA is recommending to replace the radiator. I have given a go ahead.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-radiatorleakageventotdi.jpg

Lock carrier is also broken on one side and that also to be replaced. Total estimated cost is 20k+

Maintenance is becoming expensive and is expected for 130K kilometer run car I believe. Stock clutch is still holding up and may come up for replacement in sometime. I am looking to keep the car for two more years at least if the expenses does not shoot up sky high!!

Let me know if I have to check anything else.

Thank you.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:57   #9854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayy View Post
I own a 2013 vento 1.6 manual. There were some fault codes received on the dashboard. They were repaired and the ecm software was updated. Earlier, I use to get a gear indicator in the instrument cluster, though being a manual drive. But it has stopped showing me upshifts now. Whenever I rev to a higher rpm it doesn't show me next gear. What could be the reason for this. Does this need to programmed through a scanning tool or is it some sensor issue? Awaiting some guidance from this community.
Would need to activate it via VAS software. VW Workshop should do it for you charging a nominal fee.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 00:47   #9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Would need to activate it via VAS software. VW Workshop should do it for you charging a nominal fee.
Thank you so much sir for the assistance. I will connect with the service advisor and get it enabled. Thank you again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks