Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:30   #9751

Volkswagen Vento - Suggestions for preventive maintenance

Hello friends,

I have a
  • Volkswagen Vento Petrol
  • 2011 Model, 80000 kms driven mostly in city

Since it is now more than 10 years old, I want to know whether i should change the below proactively. Please note that I have no issues in the car as of now.

1. Timing Belt: Since i can't see I am unable to figure out if this should be changed
2. Water pump: Again this is an item I hear needs replacement at this time

Could someone help me with above and anything else i should take into consideration in terms of changes. I had recently got my suspension overhaul and engine mounting changed.

Thank you!
Old 4th April 2022, 15:33   #9752
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hello Everyone.

In a fortnight, god willing, I am going to own a new Vento Highline Plus AT. I feel this is the right thread to seek advice regarding what all I need to add to the stock car, in order to keep it in a better shape and to have a better riding experience too.
I am based out of Aligarh, a town near NCR, and ASS is available only at AGRA or in NCR. My annual running should not exceed 6-7 thousand kms, mostly highway.
For the interiors I think I need to buy mats, so suggestions for any brand is welcome.
For the safety purpose, I have to decided to install dashcams both in the front and rear.
For the exteriors, I think I should go for PPF in the scratch prone areas only. Since I am a lazy bloke, I am thinking of getting the ceramic coating in the rest of the exteriors. If not ceramic coating, I shall go for paint sealants and regular waxing.For daily cleaning I shall be using Zopasu duster along with weekly washing at home by myself
using mild shampoo and microfibre cloth.
Please do let me what more or different I need to do to take care of the car for a long run.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:17   #9753
BHPian

Guys I have a question, for some time I've been contemplating replacing the suspension of my 2018 Vento TDI to improve the dynamics as my older 2010 Polo TDI. Theres a lot of data available on the forum regarding the part numbers in the 2010 and 2011 cars, I even replaced the front shocks to the ones from the 2010 model with significant improvement in sudden lane changes and cornering, but still wasnt quite there and thought about replacing the springs too.

But one thing I dont understand, without a doubt, the 2011 model looks much lower and closer to the road much sportier than the current model, but the ground clearance mentioned for the earlier models is 168mm while for the current models is 165mm. How is this?? I dont think VW India must've made major changes to the chassis or anything that the car looks higher even though mentioned GC is the same.

Due to this confusion, I am unable to order the springs confidently although they're added to my cart. My thought, that if the GC is actually the same, then that means if the springs from the older models brings my car to visually look at the same level as the older cars, my actual GC goes down, which is not preferable.

Please help.

Last edited by Racer911 : 4th April 2022 at 16:19.
Old 7th April 2022, 16:23   #9754
BHPian

After taking the used 1.5 TDI DSG, I have done 4.5 k km approx. I use tank full method to calculate FE. I find that every time, the actual FE is slightly more ( 0.5 to 0.7 km/lit) than the displayed FE in MID. In most cars, it's the other way round. In my earlier Verna 1.6D, the actual FE was always around 1 km/lit less than the MID FE. Now I can safely conclude that Vento DSG is more fuel efficient ( albeit a little) than Verna CRDI 1.6 manual. Auto convenience with more FE, what else one needs.... I only miss the initial engine refinement, better AC cooling & wider front leg space of Verna for now, will miss easy maintenance going forward...

What's the experience of others with regard to MID/actual FE?

Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 17:24   #9755
BHPian

Re: Ownership experience: VW Vento 1.5 TDI with 7-speed DSG (6-years/112,000 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achin.jain View Post
Hello team-bhp readers. I am long time reader and a first-time writer here. This community has helped me so much over the last 6 years that I always wanted to share my own experiences. Finally, created an account and writing my first post.

Lastly, my knee is alright for last 6 years.
Read each line of yours & enjoyed every bit of it. Hopefully you are carrying on with your Vento. Two months before, I had picked up a 2017 HL TDI DSG 58k run replacing my 10 yrs old Verna 1.6 CRDI MT. Since then I have done 4.5 k km approx. without any problem. My car has cruise control & auto wiper, but does not have rear camera. I am not missing the rear cam as such. I find the cruise control to be extremely useful. ( Verna did not have that- and I was under the impression that cruise control is an useless feature). I have now got used to the car & enjoying driving it.

Since the car is 5 yrs & 2 months old now, can I take extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:14   #9756

Re: Ownership experience: VW Vento 1.5 TDI with 7-speed DSG (6-years/112,000 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Read each line of yours & enjoyed every bit of it. Hopefully you are carrying on with your Vento. Two months before, I had picked up a 2017 HL TDI DSG 58k run replacing my 10 yrs old Verna 1.6 CRDI MT. Since then I have done 4.5 k km approx. without any problem. My car has cruise control & auto wiper, but does not have rear camera. I am not missing the rear cam as such. I find the cruise control to be extremely useful. ( Verna did not have that- and I was under the impression that cruise control is an useless feature). I have now got used to the car & enjoying driving it.

Since the car is 5 yrs & 2 months old now, can I take extended warranty?

Thanks

Congratulations on upgrading to the Vento. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. I believe you are eligible to purchase an "add-on warranty" from VW dealer. Below is the information I was told by my dealer when I bought my last warranty in Sep 2021 with 119K on the odometer. My Vento has at 128K currently and I got the entire steering column replaced under warranty a couple of months ago.
  • One can buy an add-on warranty up to 125K kms on the odometer
  • The add-on warranty would be valid for 1 year / 20K kms, whichever comes first
  • In order to purchase the warranty, the service centre would scan your car using their laptop and it should not return any fault codes. If it does, you need to get the faults fixed first.
  • After the faults are fixed, they will process the warranty and give you a certificate.
  • The first 30 days of the warranty is the cooling period, so make sure you do not raise any issues in the first 30 days. It would be difficult to get warranty claims within the first 30 days of buying the warranty.

Hope the above helps and is up-to-date information.
achin.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:16   #9757
BHPian

I don't know if its the right thread for this but, kindly help me out.

So I am in Gurgaon currently, took my vento earlier to U Block, Cybercity.

The car started showing overheating symbol while I was almost there which was something new. Issues like these, aren't new certainly, which is there was no panic situation.

By the time I could stop the vehicle, the coolant was boiling out like anything - the fan wasn't working at all.

So once all the boiling was over, I checked the fuse for fan - 30 A fuse moulded at the battery terminal.
It was blown, from one of our previous accidents chaos, I had a spare 40 A fuse lying around. I plugged it in and switched on the ignition[just the ignition] and as expected, the fan started running at full rpm like an aeroplane engine.

I left the car as it is, forgot to top up the coolant. While returning, the fan again started running at high rpm, probably due to heating but the overheating symbol never showed up.

I came to my residing area, topped up the coolant expansion tank with around 2 litres of distilled water - till the max level of expansion tank. Checked and verified that the fan was running and it did shut down once in that cycle. So, temperature modulated fan trigger was still happening. Fan was running fine after I locked the vehicle too - I think, I am probably good with the fan for now.

Just need some advice on which coolant is recommended for Vento petrol [Its a 1.6 MPI for reference]. I am planning to get it from open market and top up as needed.

Why top up - The other day I ran the car in idle for about 15 minutes, the fan didn't switch on [It was the rainy day, temp outside was 25 degrees C] but the coolant was halfway up to the min mark of expansion tank. The engine just ran fine, AC was working, coolant was circulating [checked in the expansion tank + the hot air blow method - so water pump is definitely working].

+ not interested with a whole in my pocket going to VW service centre.

Suggestions are welcome though and I'd really like to check for myself, the root cause of radiator fan fuse blow.

Can somebody please help me out with the coolant grade: ?
And where can I get it in the open market - I reside near Maruti gurgaon plant so, nearby recommendations would be good.

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:10   #9758
BHPian

Urgent, does anyone if there's a Polo or Vento available in NCR?
I've finally managed to convince my dad to get it instead of the Baleno.
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th May 2022, 15:10   #9759

7 Years And 1,95,000 Kms With A Vento Tdi Dsg

HELLO TEAM BHP

NEVER THOUGHT MY FIRST POST IS GOING TO BE SAD / NEGATIVE.

Our car: Vento tdi dsg (MY 14-15) clocked 1,95,000 kms. Still running on stock setup as far as I remember. Now time has come to change the shocks - both front and back. Our car was serviced regularly at PPS MOTORS SUCHITRA CIRCLE, Hyderabad. As the car is old and out of warranty decided to DIY the process and did front brakes earlier myself by sourcing parts on boodmo.

However I couldn't find some particular nuts and bolts and buffers and dealership is refusing to sell parts, citing company policy. I contacted VW customer care and have confirmed with them about the same. Customer care executive said an amicable solution will be found for us and parts are sold only in case of emergency and at dealer discretion.

Members in Hyderabad can understand or might have experienced some bad things about PPS motors especially at Suchitra circle beside the Mahindra.

What the dealer does not understand is they lost their earning on brakes by not selling the parts and the profit went to boodmo. Would not hesitate to place order on boodmo except for lack of stock (17 days time to delivery).

Is it fair to hold the customer ransom by both Volkswagen group and dealership forcing me to pay exorbitant amounts of labour charges. Would be happy to have the opinions of the forum member

Have ordered sachs front struts. Could not get the rear ones. Any solution to weak rear springs is also welcome.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th May 2022 at 07:28. Reason: Formatting and spacing edits and capitalising where needed.
Whiteburner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 03:11   #9760
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 7 Years And 1,95,000 Kms With A Vento Tdi Dsg

OTC sale of parts is always a gamble. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. It's like opting for insurance from a dealer when you purchase a car. Theoretically, you can buy insurance on your own if you find it economically viable, practically, there are several cases where dealers force you to buy insurance from them, try several tactics until you finally buckle.

I don't rely on OTC part sales due to the following reasons:

- Part prices are high as compared to the same part being sold by an OE vendor in the aftermarket. An OTC part anyways won't have warranty. Why am I even paying the extra then? I can get the same part of the same quality in the aftermarket

- Wait times are obnoxiously high. Again, it's a waste of time. Aftermarket vendors have parts (especially running repair components) available in stock. Even if they need to be ordered, the lead time on such parts is a lot less as compared to ASCs (especially Volkswagen)

- Some dealers even charge you the labour amount on the part while selling it to you OTC. Again, absolute BS IMO.

You have sourced Sachs dampers which are better than the stock Gabriel dampers that came with your car. Just have them fitted at a good FNG and put an end to this. Dealers are not worth the hassle when it comes to OTC part sales in my opinion.

Additionally, find a good parts supplier down South (I know a few in Bangalore). A good parts supplier is a far better resource than any ASC or even boodmo. Change the rear dampers as well. Don't worry about ASCs. OTC part sales are a grey area.

The new dampers will transform your car. You will absolutely enjoy driving it
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 11:19   #9761

Problem here is i couldn't source rear shocks and looking for alternatives like trw and Monroe.

More inclined to TRW due to them being same company.

Problem here is with nuts and bolts. I want to do repair as perfectly as possible and since the components are more than 7yrs old I'm not willing to use the same fastener and have struggle finding them in boodmo
Old 27th May 2022, 12:22   #9762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteburner View Post

Is it fair to hold the customer ransom by both Volkswagen group and dealership forcing me to pay exorbitant amounts of labour charges. Would be happy to have the opinions of the forum member
Look for other workshops (/FNGs) specializing in VAG cars. There are good examples of such workshops across Chennai, Mumbai and other cities on & off the forum (e.g. Jai Prakash - Chennai) who will be able to source the necessary parts and at a much lesser labor/overall cost. Fellow VW/volkswagen car owners in Hyderabad should be able to help you identify such a workshop/FNG.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 12:25   #9763

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
OTC sale of parts is always a gamble. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. It's like opting for insurance from a dealer when you purchase a car. Theoretically, you can buy insurance on your own if you find it economically viable, practically, there are several cases where dealers force you to buy insurance from them, try several tactics until you finally buckle.

I don't rely on OTC part sales due to the following reasons:

- Part prices are high as compared to the same part being sold by an OE vendor in the aftermarket. An OTC part anyways won't have warranty. Why am I even paying the extra then? I can get the same part of the same quality in the aftermarket

- Wait times are obnoxiously high. Again, it's a waste of time. Aftermarket vendors have parts (especially running repair components) available in stock. Even if they need to be ordered, the lead time on such parts is a lot less as compared to ASCs (especially Volkswagen)

- Some dealers even charge you the labour amount on the part while selling it to you OTC. Again, absolute BS IMO.

You have sourced Sachs dampers which are better than the stock Gabriel dampers that came with your car. Just have them fitted at a good FNG and put an end to this. Dealers are not worth the hassle when it comes to OTC part sales in my opinion.

Additionally, find a good parts supplier down South (I know a few in Bangalore). A good parts supplier is a far better resource than any ASC or even boodmo. Change the rear dampers as well. Don't worry about ASCs. OTC part sales are a grey area.

The new dampers will transform your car. You will absolutely enjoy driving it
Could you help me source(part supplier contact) sachs rear dampers with part number 313 378.
Seller should be willing to ship.

Thanks in advance
Old 27th May 2022, 12:28   #9764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Look for other workshops (/FNGs) specializing in VAG cars. There are good examples of such workshops across Chennai, Mumbai and other cities on & off the forum (e.g. Jai Prakash - Chennai) who will be able to source the necessary parts and at a much lesser labor/overall cost. Fellow VW/volkswagen car owners in Hyderabad should be able to help you identify such a workshop/FNG.
I'm willing to diy the process and have acquired necessary tools.
However unable to source the rear shocks and associated fasteners
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:53   #9765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hello Everyone.

In a fortnight, god willing, I am going to own a new Vento Highline Plus AT. I feel this is the right thread to seek advice regarding what all I need to add to the stock car, in order to keep it in a better shape and to have a better riding experience too.
Thanks
Hello Fawad, I know this is late and I guess you must be already enjoying your Vento now. You dont need much to add to your Vento as its a safe all-rounder.

I can add these to your list -

Car mats from 3D Spider Kagu. They are amazing but expensive.

A safety hammer. Costs 200-300 INR from Amazon.

A Bergmann tyre inflator. Should cost around 2k INR.

A FIREX fire extinguisher. Should cost around 1500 INR.

As part of official accessories list from VW, I added below to my Vento - (you can also try)

Lip spoiler. (Purely cosmetic, I got mine in gloss black)

VW Dual horn. (This makes a huge difference in crowded areas)

I wanted to add door sill plates too, but they were not in stock.

Happy Motoring.

~NA.
na_agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks