Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 17:48   #9001
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The advantage of getting the service done in an Authorised Service Centre (particularly from the one belonging to the dealer) is that you can still cajole them for under warranty replacements in case of failure of components, though not sure about the success rate. You will get OEM parts and complete history of your vehicle will be available for future reference. Downside may be the cost of service.
I am fed up with the service quality of authorized service centers @Chennai (ABRA, TVS & KUN) as they are not doing a good job. Hence thought of trying a Bosch service. My experience was that most of the times they try to rake up my bill by adding unwanted items and bringing in fake issues. I had to have a lengthy discussion to conclude that its a no-issue. I had extended warranty, but still have not got any benefits out of it - touch wood - no serious issues till now.
Old 8th February 2018, 15:56   #9002
BHPian

GoKrish provided his view. Can anyone else provide your views as well?
Old 8th February 2018, 20:01   #9003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I am fed up with the service quality of authorized service centers @Chennai (ABRA, TVS & KUN) as they are not doing a good job. Hence thought of trying a Bosch service. My experience was that most of the times they try to rake up my bill by adding unwanted items and bringing in fake issues. I had to have a lengthy discussion to conclude that its a no-issue. I had extended warranty, but still have not got any benefits out of it - touch wood - no serious issues till now.
Hi, Crank, I own a 2014 Octavia TDI, I think you should stick with authorized service centers, I will tell you why and this is just my opinion from my experience. I used Ford, have a Hyundai and a Datsun car.

If it's a Maruthi or a Hyundai, after extended warranty, if you have a trusted mechanic, you can service it outside. For Maruthi and Hyundai, it's easy to source parts locally even if the car is old. Not the case with Skoda/VW vehicles. If you're staying in a metropolitan city, it's more easy to source parts, even for Skoda/VW. But if I have to source a part of Skoda/VW from my town in Kerala, it's a different story. But for my Hyundai, I never had any issues.

Now, let's say you wanna sell the car, it's easy to find a buyer if you have complete service history with authorized service centers. And if you have major issues, you can always get back at them. After extended warranty also get over, owners of Skoda/VW don't like to keep the car too long with them because of high maintenance.

I already decided I am selling my Octi before the extended warranty gets over. Because the price of the parts they changed in my car under warranty is too high, and I don't plan on spending it from my pocket in the future.

So, my opinion is, if it's a Skoda/VW car, it's better to service in authorized service centers.
jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 21:09   #9004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Hi, Crank, I own a 2014 Octavia TDI, I think you should stick with authorized service centers...
If you're staying in a metropolitan city, it's more easy to source parts, even for Skoda/VW.

Now, let's say you wanna sell the car, it's easy to find a buyer if you have complete service history with authorized service centers...

So, my opinion is, if it's a Skoda/VW car, it's better to service in authorized service centers.
Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I live in a metropolitan and the Bosch service nearby says he stocks most components as Bosch is the supplier of most spare parts for Skoda & VW. Can't we use our service booklet to get sealed from such Bosch branded service centers?

I am really confused.
Old 8th February 2018, 21:33   #9005
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Crank, I own a 2014 Octavia TDI, I think you should stick with authorized service centers, I will tell you why and this is just my opinion from my experience. I used Ford, have a Hyundai and a Datsun car.

If it's a Maruthi or a Hyundai, after extended warranty, if you have a trusted mechanic, you can service it outside. For Maruthi and Hyundai, it's easy to source parts locally even if the car is old. Not the case with Skoda/VW vehicles. If you're staying in a metropolitan city, it's more easy to source parts, even for Skoda/VW. But if I have to source a part of Skoda/VW from my town in Kerala, it's a different story. But for my Hyundai, I never had any issues.

Now, let's say you wanna sell the car, it's easy to find a buyer if you have complete service history with authorized service centers. And if you have major issues, you can always get back at them. After extended warranty also get over, owners of Skoda/VW don't like to keep the car too long with them because of high maintenance.

I already decided I am selling my Octi before the extended warranty gets over. Because the price of the parts they changed in my car under warranty is too high, and I don't plan on spending it from my pocket in the future.

Exactly what happened in my case . 5.5 years of ownership of vento (only 50k kms) completely maintained by A.S.S. and a happy with their services.

But around 30k per annum expenditure other than the regular service + monthly visits to the service station was the cause I sold my pristine condition car for a very low price. Very frustrating.

But she was a beast.

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 8th February 2018 at 21:35.
Old 8th February 2018, 21:59   #9006
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I live in a metropolitan and the Bosch service nearby says he stocks most components as Bosch is the supplier of most spare parts for Skoda & VW. Can't we use our service booklet to get sealed from such Bosch branded service centers?

I am really confused.
What you can do is, keep a record of BOSH service history separately. So in case you want to sell the car, you can show that the car is well taken care of, even if it is not by authorized service center.

I have not given Skoda for outside service, how cheap are the parts when you source it locally?
Old 9th February 2018, 08:07   #9007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
But around 30k per annum expenditure other than the regular service + monthly visits to the service station was the cause I sold my pristine condition car for a very low price.
Monthly Visits? Why?
30K per annum seems to be on the higher side. Apart from regular service costs and couple of spares I have to buy for around 10K that too in the last 5 years, there was nothing that I have to shell out.

Quote:
What you can do is, keep a record of BOSH service history separately.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
I have not given Skoda for outside service, how cheap are the parts when you source it locally?
Depends on the parts. Some of them are cheaper, but some are not. Sometimes A.S.C.s replace a part which local garages repair.

The problem with these German cars is the dealers make money in spares more than the sale of the car. They always suggest to replace a part rather than servicing/repairing it. Also sometimes the part wouldn't have been faulty at all. For example, once the A.S.C. said my alloys are bent and hence there's a wobbly feel. Other time, they said my back shocks have gone kaput. One another time, they said my discs have to be replaced. First one, I fixed in the Bosch service for no cost. It was just slight misalignment. Second claim was fake and the shocks were perfectly fine. The problem was with a loose nut due to running over a pothole. The third one, the Bosch service got the discs skimmed as there was lot of meat left in the disc and doesn't need to be changed. A.S.C. deliberately didn't do any calibration after changing the shoes to get the discs scoured and reduce breaking efficiency.

With all these experiences, now you know why I am wary of going to the A.S.C.
Old 9th February 2018, 08:22   #9008
BHPian

Crank, looks like you have got a good BOSH service center there and a bad authorized dealer. If BOSH is working out for you, go ahead with it. So far I never faced any issues with my ASC in Bangalore. Octi shocks were done at 80000, costs me around 45K. It was not a complete overhaul, car is new so changed what needed to to be changed.

Once the warranty is over, you realize the pinch, parts prices are outrageous for Skoda/VW vehicles, at times you think you own one of the German Crown Jewels
Old 9th February 2018, 08:45   #9009
BHPian

Generally, I give my car to Road side Mechanic for body and painting work. But, I was pleasantly surprised to know that Kun-Volkswagen, Chennai has an in-house body shop now and the cost is comparatively cheaper! I overheard a fellow owner complaining to them that they were quite unsatisfied with two other dealers' workshops.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:44   #9010
BHPian

Quote:
Is it really required to service Vento Diesel in a VW authorized service centers beyond the warranty period? Mine has completed 5 years. If not are there any real advantages in doing so?
There is no real necessity to service it at VW authorized service centers. Only advantage if you continue is if there is an issue they may change it under warranty even after the warranty period. Based on my service history they changed the injectors free of cost when it failed at 110K after 5.5 years.

Second point is finding a good third party service center.

Third is use of genuine parts at the third party service centers. If changed at VW I believe they provide a 2 year warranty for the changed part.

Advantage of going to third party service center is the cost. My 120K service and clutch change is due. VW quoted 30K for parts and labour. At third party service centers it was quoted at 20K for parts and labor.

I too am in a dilemma.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:49   #9011
BHPian

Went to FNG to get my high pressure fuel pump checked. I have two options and little confused which one to go for
1) New pump from aftermarket for 35K
2) Refurbished pump from 2012-13 generation Vento for 9K

Please note I have already discarded option to get this corrected from VW where they were charging around 130-135K.

I am in NCR so will be driving Vento for 3 more year and after that it will be 10 year old so can't be run in NCR. Does it make financial sense to go for option (1) and what is the risk I am looking at option (2)
Old 15th February 2018, 21:47   #9012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Went to FNG to get my high pressure fuel pump checked. I have two options and little confused which one to go for
1) New pump from aftermarket for 35K
2) Refurbished pump from 2012-13 generation Vento for 9K

Please note I have already discarded option to get this corrected from VW where they were charging around 130-135K.

I am in NCR so will be driving Vento for 3 more year and after that it will be 10 year old so can't be run in NCR. Does it make financial sense to go for option (1) and what is the risk I am looking at option (2)
I would recommend checking with World of Service, Noida. He should be able to suggest what all options you have. Only get it changed from VW as a last resort.

Rachit
Old 16th February 2018, 06:51   #9013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Get the RCD330+. There are quite a few people on the forum who have upgraded to that unit. Completely OEM looking, since the RCD330 comes stock in either the rapid or vento, or maybe both.
Available on aliexpress for close to 100 USD, which is very VFM for what it offers. For music upgrade, you will need better speakers.
Are there any folks in Bangalore who can help me install this thing, for a price? DYI with wife’s car is beyond me. I found a few local dealers who will install but ask you to buy the RCD from them for a crazy price in excess of 3x the original.

So my ask is.....do you know of any local folks who can only install this thing for me after I’ve bought it from aliexpress?
Old 16th February 2018, 08:06   #9014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
So my ask is.....do you know of any local folks who can only install this thing for me after I’ve bought it from aliexpress?
Here is one good option near Indira Nagar/Ulsoor:
EVO Custom Car Audio
mobile: 9845376094
Address: No.336, Near Sai Baba Temple, 1st Main, Cambridge Layout, Ulsoor, Bangalore - 560008

P.S: I have been a customer for 6+ years
Old 16th February 2018, 09:30   #9015
BHPian

Posting it here since there wasn't any response from "Auto Lighting Theread"

Quote:
I have 2016 VW Vento 1.5 DSG Highline.
Planning to swap my head lamps all four (LH / RH low beam and high beam) headlamps with Philips X-treme Ultinon LED H7 (12985BWX2). This is not yet available in Amazon.in and what they have is 160% brighter and what I had mentioned is 200% brighter. Will check with authorised retailers in Bangalore for the former ones availability. Similarly will be using Philips LED for fog lamps and parking lamps.

So my question here is will there be any error codes if I swap to LED?
Had any one did that before?
Will there be an issue by VW on Warranty front?

Appreciate answers if any one knows this first hand.
Cheers!
Thank you in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks