Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 08:48   #7501
BANNED

Guys,

My cousin who has a Vento TDI (December, 2011 model) which has clocked 1,67,000 kms too has this issue though the owner never noticed but found after I passed this info to check.

He is not worried as the car is on the verge of getting sold. He doesn't want to keep it post warranty hence palming it off! Yet to get the details of the sale!
Old 18th January 2015, 09:12   #7502
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasnb View Post
Is it the reason why they discontinued the 1.6 and introduced the 1.5 tdi?
It's too early to point the gun on VW and its 1.6TDI engine, which is a global engine and doing job for a while in international Polo variants too. May be we can wait till VW/Skoda say something on this (not ASS, i have very little hope from these People). I will ask ASS folks to send the communicatioin to their factory support team regarding these fumes. Lets see how things will pan out. As few members pointed, we don't have to be panic on this issue because engine is running without any issues and more importantly no warning lamps on dashboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Excise duty was the main concern that was projected.

You never know this issue could be the one the points. Not sure!
Sir, this engine is still on sale in international markets, so we do not have to worry much on this front.
They have saved on excise duty and put it in their pocket without passing a penny to the customer, pity VW.
Old 18th January 2015, 09:38   #7503
BHPian

Hello guys,

My 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI HL has clocked almost 18000 kms now. Recently I had noticed an irritating scraping kind of noise occuring in short bursts, from the front when taking the car over imperfect roads and potholes. The noise disappears after certain time. Got it checked from EVM Volkswagen near Perumbavoor last week. Unfortunately the exact sound could not be replicated during the test ride. The service staff turned on and off the engine repeatedly , giving rise to a similar sound although much subdued in nature. He postulated that the sound could be due to loosened engine mount bush(something like that), and will replace it under warranty. I complied and gave the car for resolving the same. After checkup, he informed me that the engine mount is fine and the noise was caused by a loose steering mount bush(?) and this has been rectified. He said they've done a thorough checkup of the car and everything else is as good as new. Took the car for a test ride and the sound was not present. I returned extremely satisfied. Used the car for a week. Installed RD dieseltronic tuning box after a few days. Everything ran just fine.

However, today morning the sound reappeared again. I cannot find the exact terms to describe the sound. Comes from the front RHS. It occurs in the initial part of the drive. Only occurs on bad roads. But it disappears after sometime. I don't thrash my car. I use my car mainly on highways with speeds ranging from 110-150kph(only when traffic conditions permit it), with occasional aggressive gearshifts while taking off from a red light. I'm very careful over poorly constructed village roads and speed bumps. Can anyone shine some light on this issue? Should I be alarmed?

Last edited by GKR9900 : 18th January 2015 at 09:50.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 09:58   #7504
BHPian

hi guys,
Sorry for being off topic.

Is it ok to use spacers/bushes to the suspension to enhance ground clearance on vento?

Was speaking to a friend about by bottom-scraping behaviour of my vento the other day. He suggested this method. He apparently did it for his rapid and he said there was no issues after using it.
Old 18th January 2015, 10:08   #7505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
hi guys,
Sorry for being off topic.

Is it ok to use spacers/bushes to the suspension to enhance ground clearance on vento?
Personally, I would not recommend it. Vento has a good suspension setup, anything done to it will affect ride and more importantly handling and stability.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 12:21   #7506

Hi GKR 9900

you should probably have a look at the below thread. I think this is the same issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157660
alexxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 15:01   #7507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Kuruvilla View Post
My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick
I checked my vehicle yesterday and today morning. Appears that my vehicle is also showing similar symptoms for a vehicle that's barely done 18000 kms. See video below

I don't have any issues with the vehicle what so ever in terms of pickup, malfunction light, however the smell of exhaust doesn't seem right to me. What's more concerning to me is the same behavior even for a morning start. I don't know where VW reliability has done and my vehicle likes to spend more time at the workshop more than the roads. Don't know what has gotten messed when the injectors were replaced. Taking it back to the workshop tomorrow
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 16:16   #7508
Senior - BHPian

Got the front struts changed as well yesterday as i had some free time. Had got the rear struts changed last week itself. Car has clocked 34k kms. Sadly, 3 out of 4 struts were leaking oil and were in a bad condition. For information of others am posting part numbers of TRW front and rear struts for both Vento/Rapid. TRW is a germany company and the reputation is quite good in the market, most importantly, these struts are much much stiffer than OE struts of both Vento/Rapid.

TRW JGM9005T Front struts (set of 2) - cost 4500 INR
TRW JGT9006 Rear struts (set of 2) - cost 4000 INR

Car has totally transformed after the strut change and goes absolutely flat over all undulations, body roll has decreased drastically. Low speed ride has turned a little harsh because these Trw struts are stiffer than stock. Also finally after 2.5 years, the rear thud issue is finally history. Tried multiple times and never heard that sickening thud sound. For those who prefer handling over ride, go with these TRW struts and for ride quality lovers, please stick with VW OE struts, for me the OE struts were way too soft. I am in love with the car again after strut change as i drive fast, mostly highways and soft suspension was a big irritant for me.

My friend who owns Rapid also got his struts changed and on his car, 1 front and 1 rear strut was leaking oil and the piston did not come up when depressed. Please get the health of your struts checked at 45-50 k kms guys. Never knew my struts were shot until i drove another Vento. Once struts are shot, ride deteriorates, car will become bouncy, rear thuds will be more frequent and body roll would increase. You will never know until you drive another Vento or get it checked.

Also got the brake pads checked and they will last another 6000-7000 kms, had them changed at 13k kms when i faced shuddering so a life of 27-28 k kms is fine since i drive fast and frequent the hills a bit too much.

Posting images below, you can see the old struts wherein piston was free and refused to come up, could be pushed with 2 fingers. Also you can see the oil leak on front struts and finally the new TRW struts.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-blown-strut.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-team-bhp-leak.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-blown-strut1.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-new-strut.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-new-strut-1.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My cousin who has a Vento TDI (December, 2011 model) which has clocked 1,67,000 kms too has this issue though the owner never noticed but found after I passed this info to check.
That is quite a lot of running, many owners have clocked a lot of miles and the engine/turbo etc have been bulletproof so far. Still this white smoke is a bit disconcerting. Lets see what the service centres so about it, am sure a stupid reply would come out of their mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
It's too early to point the gun on VW and its 1.6TDI engine, which is a global engine and doing job for a while in international Polo variants too
+1, this is an international engine unlike 1.5 TDi and the reliability reports on engine have been good so far. Lets hope this is some small issue and not piston rings etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I checked my vehicle yesterday and today morning. Appears that my vehicle is also showing similar symptoms for a vehicle that's barely done 18000 kms. See video below
Thanks for posting the video buddy, much appreciated. Same smoke coming out from your car as well, please update us what the service centre has to say about it so we can get our cars checked as well.

Thanks

Last edited by coolboy007 : 18th January 2015 at 16:18.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 17:21   #7509

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
The issue seems to be quite common. Today two more of my mates reported smoke coming out of the oil dipstick.One of the cars at 65000 km & the second one at 52000 km. The int resting thing would be to find out if any we can find a car which is not emitting smoke. Looks like every one has a problem.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:42   #7510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

Still this white smoke is a bit disconcerting. Lets see what the service centres so about it, am sure a stupid reply would come out of their mouth.
+1, this is an international engine unlike 1.5 TDi and the reliability reports on engine have been good so far. Lets hope this is some small issue and not piston rings etc.
Same smoke coming out from your car as well, please update us what the service centre has to say about it so we can get our cars checked as well.
Please check out this link where I have mentioned an easy way to test the pcv.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3625704

This puffing will be there in a brand new car as well as a 200k kms run car.

Explanation in brief :-

There is simply not enough vacuum for the pcv to operate at idling RPM. Diesels produce very little vacuum and even less at idling RPM. Some reasonable amount of vacuum is produced only after the turbo spools up(above 1500rpm).

So, rev the engine and check it.
EDIT:
Also, you cant run an engine with clogged pcv for long time without blowing a couple of oil seals.

Last edited by interc00led : 18th January 2015 at 17:46.
Old 18th January 2015, 18:17   #7511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
Hi GKR 9900

you should probably have a look at the below thread. I think this is the same issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157660
Thank you Alex, although I'm not sure if the creaks arise from the doors themselves. The sound more or less seem to be coming from the engine compartment. Will check and report back.
Old 19th January 2015, 07:47   #7512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Lets hope this is some small issue and not piston rings etc.
Yesterday I spoke to my mentor in Tata Motors Ltd on this fumes emitting from crankcase (when I was working in TML ERC he was my mentor and is having 20+ years of experience in engine design). I have explained my observations and shared the video with him.Here is his conclusion:
Quote:
This blow by (white fumes) is common when the engine is running. If at all piston rings are gone, there will be multiple symptoms like high engine oil consumption, spilling of oil particles from dipstick & cylinder head oil cap when you open those. The second thing can be verified by keeping a white cloth on dipstick neck for a moment and see if it collects oil. If yes, rings are gone. According to him what ever happening in our engines is normal.
Today I am visiting Skoda ASS for couple of complaints along with this fumes issue, let see what they have to say.
Old 19th January 2015, 08:10   #7513
BANNED

Quote:
Yesterday I spoke to my mentor in Tata Motors Ltd on this fumes emitting from crankcase
Thank you sir for the feedback on this issue. It does put to rest the tension/anxiety of many owners here odd Rapid/Vento TDI.

The only thing that is bothering me is:

Why aren't the same fumes seen in other car engine like say the 1.3L DDiS or 1.5L TDI?

I have checked it at cold start; after a 100 kms drive with speeds ranging between 90-110 kmph but no white fumes at all.

Quote:
Today I am visiting Skoda ASS for couple of complaints along with this fumes issue, let see what they have to say.
Ask them for an engine replacement!

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th January 2015 at 08:11.
Old 20th January 2015, 09:13   #7514
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Today morning I noticed that when I increase my speed upto about 60 kmh I hear a whooshing sound. Being an automobile ignoramus here could be a list of possible issues I think -
1) Something caught in the small front grill which is not able to escape and the air moving through it is making that funny sound.
I didn't see anything caught up like that....

2) Problem with the engine / turbo
However there is no loss of pickup or any other sounds. Also when I reached my office parking I opened the bonnet and revved the engine it revved as usual with no sound of any air escaping or any whoosh....

So I think option 1 could be true but considering my very very basic automotive knowledge this could be the beginning of a deeper problem. Any ideas ? Or anyone seen anything similar ???? Please let me know. Right now I ain't taking it to the service guys since I need more data about the type of the sound I hear. But I thought I had better put it up here.
Any suggestions / tech ideas welcome.
Old 20th January 2015, 13:21   #7515
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the update on my visit to Skoda ASS:
Here is what engineer has to say "When engine is idling fumes from crankcase will come and it is there in all Skoda cars, however the magnitude of fumes will vary between cars. Engineer also said VAG scan does not show any errors in terms of cylinder pressure etc hence no issues with piston rings". Conclusion is no problem with engine.

I have checked few other cars with less kms on ODO and its no different from my car. I think we can take it is easy unless there is some other coupled issue like high engine oil consumption or loss of power etc.

Other complaint/resolution details can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3627332
hillsnrains is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks