Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 20:25   #7636
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys,

So got the car back a few hours ago and I thought I would put out a quick update.

No significant change in performance. Very very subtle changes in FE and noise. So subtle that I might even be imagining them.

They claim to have replaced 4 fuel injectors, EGR, and a turbo hose. I had to pay for the turbo hose as it is a rubber part and not covered under any warranty. 4 fuel injectors and EGR were covered by VW, although I wasnt corresponding with them. It was the dealer who handled all that.

Now i dont know if I am being unnecesarily suspicious, but Im not sure how to ascertain whether they actually made any/all of the replacements that they claim. I mean sure I have a "pre invoice" (invoice will be given to me once VW clears some payment/claim ~ 4 days) and the "pre invoice" does feature the part numbers on it etc etc

But it drives the same. I am sure of that. Which is not to say that it doesnt drive well, just the same.

Also it seems to missing a "kick" and is a little "harsher" and "heavier" than my friends Jan 2013 Vento which has done 42k, whereas mine has done 48k.

Any suggestions/insight/experiences would be invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wishing you all a good day
sidby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:57   #7637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidby View Post
So got the car back a few hours ago
Nice to hear some good news finally.

Quote:
No significant change in performance. Very very subtle changes in FE and noise. So subtle that I might even be imagining them.
Noise NVH would be improved and fuel efficiency by a slight margin.

Quote:
They claim to have replaced 4 fuel injectors, EGR, and a turbo hose. I had to pay for the turbo hose as it is a rubber part and not covered under any warranty. 4 fuel injectors and EGR were covered by VW, although I wasnt corresponding with them. It was the dealer who handled all that.

Now i dont know if I am being unnecesarily suspicious, but Im not sure how to ascertain whether they actually made any/all of the replacements that they claim. I mean sure I have a "pre invoice" (invoice will be given to me once VW clears some payment/claim ~ 4 days) and the "pre invoice" does feature the part numbers on it etc etc
The "Injector advisory" suggests how to decode injector manufacturing date. Use the attached image to verify the injector manufacturing date. As long as its after 15 June 2012, all good. Most probably it should be around Dec 2014 manufactured.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-injector.jpg

Quote:
Also it seems to missing a "kick" and is a little "harsher" and "heavier" than my friends Jan 2013 Vento which has done 42k, whereas mine has done 48k.
Newer ECU update has tamed the kick of 1.6 TDi for a more linear delivery of power.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 23:08   #7638
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed and informative yet prompt reply El Lobo. You have been a saviour in this ordeal of mine.

Checked the injector's when they received them from VW. Code was NJ16 = 16th Oct 2014.

I am an idiot and thought N=15 and was thinking all this time that VW is conning me. Haha

Fuel efficiency does seem to have increased. Not subtly but overtly. Just drove it again in the night on quieter roads. The average FE on the MID just kept going up and up. Started at 15 kmpl. AC on -->14 kmpl. Some over enthusiastic driving in gears 1-3 predominantly --> 13.7.

Average driving on empty roads with AC on for 3 mins after --> 17.4.

Quite pleased. So all good on that front. NVH noise still a little harsh, but thats subjective to an extent I suppose.

Still worried about the TOTAL ABSENCE of "kick" in 2nd gear and the diminished "kick" in 3rd gear. I did get the ECU updated, but my car has almost NEVER had a kick. Since I bought it in may 2013. It drives well and picks up very well. But never with a kick.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Or maybe I am missing something? Anyone?

Anyway. Yes very glad to have it home. A big thank you to all of you for helping me out with this. Especially you, El Lobo.

Will update soon after researching and exploring the lack of kick soon.

Have a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nice to hear some good news finally.

Noise NVH would be improved and fuel efficiency by a slight margin.

The "Injector advisory" suggests how to decode injector manufacturing date. Use the attached image to verify the injector manufacturing date. As long as its after 15 June 2012, all good. Most probably it should be around Dec 2014 manufactured.

Attachment 1353161

Newer ECU update has tamed the kick of 1.6 TDi for a more linear delivery of power.
Old 27th March 2015, 23:37   #7639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
Had to replace my front windshield last week.
300KMPH, how much did your front windshield cost, including labor?

My front windshield developed a crack, without there being any sign of impact. They said if the car had been under warranty, it would have been a free replacement, but it's now my 4th year, and the windshield doesn't come under extended warranty. So, now thinking whether I should pay out of pocket or go in for insurance.

Anyways, they've been quoting different prices for windshield every time, so thought I'd check with you. Thanks!
Old 28th March 2015, 08:46   #7640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
300KMPH, how much did your front windshield cost, including labor?

My front windshield developed a crack, without there being any sign of impact. They said if the car had been under warranty, it would have been a free replacement, but it's now my 4th year, and the windshield doesn't come under extended warranty. So, now thinking whether I should pay out of pocket or go in for insurance.
Hi! It was somewhere between 7-8k. I suggest you to go for insurance. We had to pay just around Rs.2200/-
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 22:01   #7641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
When I slot my key and turn to the first position, I see all the indicators coming alive for brief period after which they die off except the one as in the attached picture. But as soon as the engine is started this goes off. Is there anything wrong or is it normal behavior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is the 'Check Engine light'; also known as Engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It going off completely is the way to go when the engine is started. It lights up when there is any error/ issue with the fuel injection system.

It should not light up when the engine is running but while you turn the key to the ignition position, it will light up. Cars with no problems with the Fuel Injection system will see them go off as soon as the engine fires to life.

Hence, I think its there is no issue with your car if it goes away when the engine starts, as you have stated.

Regards,
Saket
This Engine Check light is now "On" always. :-(
A month before the coil symbol was flashing and it went off when I restarted the car. Yesterday it started flashing again. After a while Engine check light started showing up when the car was running. From today onwards it is always there even after firing up the engine. Its in yellow color, if that makes a difference in what it denotes. Any thoughts around this?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1060352_rsc.jpg  

Last edited by Crank : 29th March 2015 at 22:02. Reason: Formatting
Old 29th March 2015, 22:52   #7642
BANNED

Quote:
This Engine Check light is now "On" always.
Oops! Not good news.

Quote:
A month before the coil symbol was flashing and it went off when I restarted the car.
Coil symbol is of the Glow plugs.

Quote:
Its in yellow color, if that makes a difference in what it denotes. Any thoughts around this?
If driven around with this lamp, it could ruin your engine.

Best is to hook the ECU to VCDS (VAG COM) which will read the error recorded by the ECU that could be generating this malfunction lamp indicator.

Either get it reset or find out the 'real' problem post scanning and sort it out. Do it ASAP.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 16:38   #7643
BHPian

Hi a4anurag,

Today went to the Service centre to check the "Check Engine" light issue.

The issue was found to be dust settling on the Oxygen Sensor making it not providing the right data to the ECU. Without the right data, the ECU is gets confused and raises an alarm. After cleaning and refitting the same, the error went off.

It's the first cause reported in lifehacker. However it advises replacing the sensor. But the service advisor told me that as the error went of after cleaning and refitting its not a concern.
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:34   #7644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
If your car is late 2011 or early 2012 model, highly probable that your injectors are failing. Get them checked, also other causes mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
I own a 2011 Vento, bought in the first lot in my city.
I have stopped sending my car to VW Nashik and i wonder if the Mumbai showrooms are better. If they are, i will gladly send my car to Mumbai to get it serviced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Responses below:
Thanks to Team-BHP that i will save a lot of money on these repairs. Thanks once again to everyone who responded.
Considering all the above, are we living in a dream that the so called "German Engineering" produces reliable, long lasting parts and products? I am really scared. Is VW quality so bad? I have a 2013 model (VIN: WVWL12609DT026467), hope that the injector problems wont crop up.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd April 2015 at 21:33. Reason: Quotes edited. Please quote only relevant portions. Thanks!
Old 7th April 2015, 17:49   #7645
BHPian

Hi,

I am new to this forum, though have been reading the forum for more than 6 years now and had a couple of queries with respect to my car. I own a 2013 Vento TDi and have posted a detailed ownership review here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-report.html

My car has done close to 32k kms and has completed 2 paid services, along with some minor repairs. My queries are as follows and I would be glad to get your inputs on them:
  1. Service related: My service bills have generally been higher than what I have read in the forum. My first service bill was INR 15,673/- (15k service) and second service bill was INR 18,087/- (30k service). Detailed bills are posted on the ownership review thread. Now after comparing the bills I have realised that the following items do not appear in other bills, which according to my advisor are necessary:
    • Synthetic Lubrication - Cost around 500-600
    • HBL (hand brake lubrication) – Cost around 500-600
    • Airconditioner Reiniger – Cost between 1500-1800
    • Silicon Spray – Cost between 1000-1200
    Request your inputs on whether these items are necessary or is my advisor fleecing me?
    There are a couple of more items (Surface Refinement (Cost 1.3k) and Antiglare Treatment (Cost 2k)) which I know are not necessary hence are not included in the above list.

2. Suspension -
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
    Watch out for Suspension mounts, Clutch wear & tear, timing/other belts etc.

For all the vento owners: The suspension on vento will not last more then 30 to 40K kms. Though you might have driven the car with at most care & completely on good roads, that is the life of that structs. Get the structs changed asap, else you would end up changing the Struct mounts & rubber as well like me
    My right side front suspension has been making some funny noise (something like a person panting), whenever I go over a speed breaker. Is it normal? In view of what Ramsagar has said above, should I get the suspension checked and changed at VW Authorized SS or will an outside FNG (need reference) do the work. If a FNG can do the required work, which struts would suit best?

Have read about these used by spyder_p8 (thanks!)
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vw-vento.html (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento)

But my question related to them is that I have extended warranty, will that be void if I change the struts to TRW at a FNG?

3. Clutch related - The clutch becomes more hard with usage and my service advisor has told me that the clutch will need an overhaul at approx 4-5th service (close to 50,000 kms) and the cost will be close to 40k. This is damn high. Any inputs on this would be highly appreciated.
  4. Insurance Claim related - There are 2 types of taxes in the final bill – VAT and service tax. When I had claimed for a minor repair, I was told that the VAT is borne by the insurance company, whereas the entire service tax has to be borne by the claimant. Is this correct?
  5. General Queries wrt functioning of the car -
    • My car has never been given an ECU upgrade by the ASS. I have specifically asked for it and they have replied that if there is any update, it is applied automatically and you should not worry. Is this correct?
    • MID 2 display resets automatically at 20 hrs or 999 kms whichever is earlier. I had read in the manual that this can be re programmed to 99 hrs or 9999 kms, however the workshop was not even aware of this. Any pointers on how to do this.
    • How does the heating in VW Vento work? There is no hot air blowing out of the air con vents when the temp is set above the ambient temp, but still the inside of the car is heated in some time. Have not been able to figure this out.

Finally, thanks to Team-BHP and all the members for providing such an amazing forum and environment to foster all the discussion.

Abhinav
Old 7th April 2015, 18:52   #7646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavb View Post
[*]Suspension - My right side front suspension has been making some funny noise (something like a person panting), whenever I go over a speed breaker. Is it normal? In view of what Ramsagar has said above, should I get the suspension checked and changed at VW Authorized SS or will an outside FNG (need reference) do the work. If a FNG can do the required work, which struts would suit best?

Have read about these used by spyder_p8 (thanks!)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-vw-vento.html (Installed! TRW Struts in my VW Vento)

But my question related to them is that I have extended warranty, will that be void if I change the struts to TRW at a FNG?
[*]Clutch related - The clutch becomes more hard with usage and my service advisor has told me that the clutch will need an overhaul at approx 4-5th service (close to 50,000 kms) and the cost will be close to 40k. This is damn high. Any inputs on this would be highly appreciated.
Abhinav
There might be multiple reasons for the fainting noise :

- If the speed breaker is little uneven, you might hear on the right side. Have you ever heard on the left side? or it ONLY on right side on all occasions?
- If you found the noise from all the four sides when dropped in a rut/pothole during good speeds, pls. ignore that. that is in the Genes of Vento. (Like mine, when new. I'm not sure whether that is sorted out yet)
- Better to get that checked from a trust able service centre.
- If there are any spares to be replaced, you can get that job done from VW SS as well. Now-a-days the VW spares are available little cheap.
NOTE: Force the SS to change under CUSTOMERS GOOD WILL(That is what VW call). Since you've just ran 30K, I believe that is too early.
- If time had come to change the suspension and you would like to go in for high ends Eg: BILSTEINS etc. Pls. ping me. That is a whole new story again
- You can think of clutch after 70K kms. It depends on your driving style. Mine is still running on stock clutch even after 72K, it is certified by my mech. for another 15K kms.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 7th April 2015 at 18:54.
Old 7th April 2015, 20:14   #7647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[list=1][*]Service related: My service bills have generally been higher than what I have read in the forum. My first service bill was INR 15,673/- (15k service) and second service bill was INR 18,087/- (30k service). Detailed bills are posted on the ownership review thread. Now after comparing the bills I have realised that the following items do not appear in other bills, which according to my advisor are necessary:
Request your inputs on whether these items are necessary or is my advisor fleecing me?
There are a couple of more items (Surface Refinement (Cost 1.3k) and Antiglare Treatment (Cost 2k)) which I know are not necessary hence are not included in the above list.
Never heard of these being done to any Vento or Polo in the forum in last 4 years of ownership - clearly these are extra add-ons that have been piled on you unnecessarily.
Old 7th April 2015, 21:29   #7648
BHPian

Quote:
Those are certainly new and very costly things. Did you ask them what AC Reiniger and silicon spray was for.

VWSC do tend to come up with something new every time to fleece users. I happened to complete my second servicing last week and I was surprised to see the that unexplainable things are now clubbed under maintenance service. The only constant is it'll reach 10-11k.

First servicing bill
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-_20150407_205730.jpg

Second
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-_20150407_121555.jpg
Wheel alignment and balancing is a strictly outside job from next time.
Don't know what disinfection they did and that too for 900 bucks. Definitely noted a few of them to be specifically told not to be done like lighting check and window washer liquid and they stick something new in there. Standardised list of services to be done will make life much easier.

MID is now updated to include gear change indicator which i think they have updated the software and was missing earlier. My car is a veto 2013 P model.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20150325_180740669.jpg
Old 7th April 2015, 22:38   #7649
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Service related: My service bills have generally been higher than what I have read in the forum. My first service bill was INR 15,673/- (15k service) and second service bill was INR 18,087/- (30k service). Detailed bills are posted on the ownership review thread. Now after comparing the bills I have realised that the following items do not appear in other bills, which according to my advisor are necessary:
None of these are essential as far as I know.
My Bills were Rs. 11,000 and Rs. 16,000. However in the second service I had to replace one of the items that I had broke. Discounting that, the bill comes to Rs. 12,000.

Quote:
[*]Suspension -

My right side front suspension has been making some funny noise (something like a person panting), whenever I go over a speed breaker. Is it normal? In view of what Ramsagar has said above, should I get the suspension checked and changed at VW Authorized SS or will an outside FNG (need reference) do the work. If a FNG can do the required work, which struts would suit best?

Is there any particular reason for looking for a TRW? I am asking this as you are under warranty the workshop should change your struts free of cost. And that would be my obvious choice.

Quote:
[*]Clutch related - The clutch becomes more hard with usage and my service advisor has told me that the clutch will need an overhaul at approx 4-5th service (close to 50,000 kms) and the cost will be close to 40k. This is damn high. Any inputs on this would be highly appreciated.
That's news to me as even my Maruti Zen clutch lasted for over 65K kms.

Quote:
[*]General Queries wrt functioning of the car -
  • My car has never been given an ECU upgrade by the ASS. I have specifically asked for it and they have replied that if there is any update, it is applied automatically and you should not worry. Is this correct?
In my first service my ECU was updated with the latest one. In the second service there was none. However I strongly doubt how the update/flash may happen automatically, given the fact that these are not connected to internet in any way.

Again with all these, I really now started thinking whether I made a wrong decision and have been blindly believing the "German Engineering".
Old 8th April 2015, 10:22   #7650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
There might be multiple reasons for the fainting noise :

- If the speed breaker is little uneven, you might hear on the right side. Have you ever heard on the left side? or it ONLY on right side on all occasions?
- If you found the noise from all the four sides when dropped in a rut/pothole during good speeds, pls. ignore that. that is in the Genes of Vento. (Like mine, when new. I'm not sure whether that is sorted out yet)
- Better to get that checked from a trust able service centre.
- If there are any spares to be replaced, you can get that job done from VW SS as well. Now-a-days the VW spares are available little cheap.
NOTE: Force the SS to change under CUSTOMERS GOOD WILL(That is what VW call). Since you've just ran 30K, I believe that is too early.
- If time had come to change the suspension and you would like to go in for high ends Eg: BILSTEINS etc. Pls. ping me. That is a whole new story again
- You can think of clutch after 70K kms. It depends on your driving style. Mine is still running on stock clutch even after 72K, it is certified by my mech. for another 15K kms.
No, the speed breaker that I am talking about are not uneven. This happens at all the speed breakers. I can hear the noise only when I lower my window. It is not audible with the window rolled up. I will try and notice it on the left side also, but so far I have only noticed it coming from right front side.

I am aware about the infamous Vento "Thud", if that's what you are talking about and this noise is definitely different. It is like a person panting once, something like "huff".

I am also in favour of getting it done through the ASS and as crank has mentioned, if they are changed under extended warranty, I'll definitely prefer that over any outside struts.

For a later stage, would love to hear about BILSTEINS. I can't PM you as I am still a newbie, so how can I get in touch?

My driving style is not very aggressive and that's why I was also shocked when he mentioned about clutch replacement @50k kms. That's why I wanted your and other experienced members' opinion. Let me see what he tells me at 45k service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Those are certainly new and very costly things. Did you ask them what AC Reiniger and silicon spray was for.

VWSC do tend to come up with something new every time to fleece users. I happened to complete my second servicing last week and I was surprised to see the that unexplainable things are now clubbed under maintenance service. The only constant is it'll reach 10-11k.

MID is now updated to include gear change indicator which i think they have updated the software and was missing earlier. My car is a veto 2013 P model.
Attachment 1358192
Yes, I did ask him what each item was for and the description is as follows:

Synthetic Lubrication - This is a part of labour (not parts) and is cost for lubricating the engine
HBL (hand brake lubrication) - Is used for lubrication of hand brake for correct functioning.
Airconditioner Reiniger - This is for cleaning the AC system of any dust and disinfecting it to ensure that there is no foul smell coming from the AC
Silicon Spray - Is used to lubricate the engine and other parts for better life.

Now I am not very confident in denying these items on the basis that if it creates any problem in the future the SA should not say that I told you to get it done, but you ignored. It is a matter of 4-5k at each service, but I want to refuse only when I am confident, which I am not at this stage and thus I seek your and others' advise.

Agree that wheel balancing is an outside job, but I got it done at the service due to lack of time and the cost differential was hardly 300-400 rs.

The gear change indicator was there in my car since I bought it, so it was not applied in an update for me.

Quote:
Is there any particular reason for looking for a TRW? I am asking this as you are under warranty the workshop should change your struts free of cost. And that would be my obvious choice.
Crank, there is no particular reason that I am looking at TRW and infact I would prefer to get it changed under my extended warranty if they agree to do it. I quoted TRW based on spyder's review and nothing else.

Quote:
That's news to me as even my Maruti Zen clutch lasted for over 65K kms.
Precisely the reason for my query related to the clutch.

Quote:
In my first service my ECU was updated with the latest one. In the second service there was none. However I strongly doubt how the update/flash may happen automatically, given the fact that these are not connected to internet in any way.
By automatically I don't mean over the internet. By automatically, I meant that if there is an update they would apply it on their own and there is no need to request for it specifically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks