Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 20:21   #9076
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys any idea what the cost of a Compressor replacement is ? Had sent the car for servicing a month back to Mumbai East Centre. Since then been feeling the cooling levels are reduced significantly. Was caught up with project work, finally got time today so took the car to a local Car AC workshop and he told me that the compressor has konked and needs replacing. He doesnt deal with VW cars so couldnt give me a quote. Any idea what ballpark figure am I looking at ?
Old 10th May 2018, 09:24   #9077
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I need to replace the Brake pads and Rotors of my Vento. I have been going with the OEM braking parts till now. Some online search rendered me names of several brands like Rane, TVS, Roulunds, Brembo etc for brake pads and Bosch, KTEK along others for Rotors but I could not find any feedback on the performance and longevity of these products.

I would like to invite opinions on these products or any other brand which I may be missing and is significantly better and/or cheaper then OEM.

I have been quoted 4.2k and 2.8k for the OEM rotors and pads respectively. If I am to spend this much, are there any better options available or is it better to stick with the OEMs only.

P.S. : I am not keen on going for performance braking products.

Thank you.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:51   #9078
BHPian

I am using Brembo brake pad for last 2 years and they serving me good till now , no complaints .
vineet1712 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 11:18   #9079
BHPian

Folks - Will / can Volkswagen deny warranty claims if I retrofit the halogen headlamp to OEM Bi-Xenon without upgrading the BCM instead using 10 pin to 14 pin adapter?
Mine is 2016 Diesel DSG Highline with extended warranty for 4 years.

Appreciate feedback / opinion before I take the plunge.

Cheers!
Old 17th May 2018, 11:47   #9080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
I am using Brembo brake pad for last 2 years and they serving me good till now , no complaints .
How much did you pay for them? And did the high speed brake shudder reduce? Also, which rotors are you using?
Old 17th May 2018, 14:51   #9081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Guys any idea what the cost of a Compressor replacement is ? Had sent the car for servicing a month back to Mumbai East Centre. Since then been feeling the cooling levels are reduced significantly. Was caught up with project work, finally got time today so took the car to a local Car AC workshop and he told me that the compressor has konked and needs replacing. He doesnt deal with VW cars so couldnt give me a quote. Any idea what ballpark figure am I looking at ?
Hi,
Just take a second opinion on this.
Usually by just top up of gas will do.

Uday
Old 17th May 2018, 15:10   #9082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I need to replace the Brake pads and Rotors of my Vento.
Suggest you check with United Motors in Chennai who keep a good stock of Brembo pads, accepts Paytm etc, and offers quick shipping too.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 18:46   #9083
Senior - BHPian

I want to seek an expert advice on: How is my car holding up and needs any immediate attention after having driven for 130K kms.
Then came in Matthew, from Milestone Garage: A decent setup in Hennur Road. But not a tidy one at it.

Matthew's opinion:
===========
All the four Bilstein struts stood very well during the test.(They were replaced when car clocked 53K Kms. Driven for close to 80K kms in our road conditions.)
Stock Clutch is still holding good. (I see a mileage of 19-20kmpl during my drive in arterial ring roads in the morning drives.)
The turbo is spooling up well, subsequently the pickup is good.
The ride is taut and composed.
*No immediate attention required.

To sum it up: He was very happy with the car the way it was. I had pat on my back.

As a precautionary measure, will get the strut mounts, Bushes, linkage bars checked during the service.
Engine Flush is also in the list.

Any suggestions, bring them on.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 25th May 2018 at 18:48.
Old 29th May 2018, 18:43   #9084
BHPian

After a long drive to the hills and back (1300 kms), today morning, I saw some amount of engine oil under the hood, especially around the intercooler hose/pipe. When the mechanic opened the pipe, little bit of oil dropped (say 5 ml). Is this normal or I need to worry? I do not see any performance loss and the smoke from the exhaust is normal. Mechanic advised to wait for a week and check oil level and if it goes down drastically, we may conclude that the turbo charger needs a change/overhaul. Have you encountered this problem?
Old 29th May 2018, 20:24   #9085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I need to replace the Brake pads and Rotors of my Vento. I have been going with the OEM braking parts till now. Some online search rendered me names of several brands like Rane, TVS, Roulunds, Brembo etc for brake pads and Bosch, KTEK along others for Rotors but I could not find any feedback on the performance and longevity of these products.

I would like to invite opinions on these products or any other brand which I may be missing and is significantly better and/or cheaper then OEM.

I have been quoted 4.2k and 2.8k for the OEM rotors and pads respectively. If I am to spend this much, are there any better options available or is it better to stick with the OEMs only.

P.S. : I am not keen on going for performance braking products.

Thank you.
I will share my experience so far:
I was pretty happy with the stock brakes, honestly. The only negative that I could observe was brake fade. My hometown is in Himachal and generally the brake usage is higher on hills even if not driving fast. I would feel brake fade and brake pedal feel will change during highway runs and hills.

At 45K KMs, I got the pads changed first time and switched to Brembo OEM replacement pads with the stock discs (didn't change the disc). The braking performance marginally improved, but the Brembo pads just didn't fade. The only negative to them with the stock disc at least was light squealing noise, especially at slow speed braking when the pads were cold.

After about 30K KMs with these pads, during my 75K KM servicing, I asked the VW guys to check the pads for wear. They found the pads were pretty much new, but they had eaten the disc. I think the Brembo pads were harder and hence were harder on the disc.

Anyways, I just put the Brembo Disc and pads again at 87K KMs (Total). In the hindsight I think the stock discs still did decently to last 87K KMs. This time the Brembo guys told me that the pads are a bit softer,but this might lead to slightly lesser life.

I have changed to this setup last week only. The brakes are right now bedding in. Will share the feedback as I clock some more KMs. So far so good.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 22:03   #9086
BHPian

Hi all, my Vento TDI is due for its 7th year service (95K+ kms) and would like to get your suggestions on things to be checked. Here are some related notes:
  • No major parts replaced so far in the last 6 years (other than tyres), including brake discs. I resisted the change at the 75K service as the discs were in absolute fine condition. The brake bite has been good all this while. Is it time to replace the brake discs? If required, getting that done from outside with something like Brembo is better?
  • Suspension has become hard now and makes frequent thud sounds even for short but sudden suspension travel.
  • Clutch is hard as it has been from day one. I haven't noticed much change in it.

Any other major parts to be checked?

Last edited by nileshch : 29th May 2018 at 22:08.
Old 29th May 2018, 23:39   #9087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Hi all, my Vento TDI is due for its 7th year service (95K+ kms) and would like to get your suggestions on things to be checked. Here are some related notes:
  • No major parts replaced so far in the last 6 years (other than tyres), including brake discs. I resisted the change at the 75K service as the discs were in absolute fine condition. The brake bite has been good all this while. Is it time to replace the brake discs? If required, getting that done from outside with something like Brembo is better?
  • Suspension has become hard now and makes frequent thud sounds even for short but sudden suspension travel.
  • Clutch is hard as it has been from day one. I haven't noticed much change in it.

Any other major parts to be checked?

My car will be going for the 90K KMs service tomorrow. Even I don't have anything special in mind. I did get the brake discs and Pads changed last week and went for Brembo. If you are happy with stock, stay stock in my opinion.

I do plan to ask them for brake bleeding as I think the brake pedal travel when my car starts braking has increased a bit. Rest its mostly going to be BAU. In my last service, I was told that a few Belts etc will be changed at 90K. Will see when I reach there. Will update here.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Old 30th May 2018, 10:55   #9088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
..I did get the brake discs and Pads changed last week and went for Brembo..
Hi,

How much did the Brembo discs and pads cost you? How is the performance and bite compared to stock ones. Also, how is the high speed braking?
Old 30th May 2018, 20:06   #9089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

How much did the Brembo discs and pads cost you? How is the performance and bite compared to stock ones. Also, how is the high speed braking?
Hi,

The Disc and the Pads costed me 9200 shipped to my place. So my previous setup was Brembo Pads on stock discs hence it has been some time since I have been on the stock setup. Tough to remember now as to how it felt back then. But according to my memory, bite is around 10% better. Not much improvement in bite, I would say. The biggest difference I expect is in the fade, which I have not been able to test yet. Honestly I have only driven the car 50 KMs after the install, so the brakes are still bedding in. But initial impressions are very good. It does feel better than the stock setup.

I think earlier, these Bremdo OEM replacement parts were considerable cheaper. For ex. when I bought the pads last time, they costed me 1800. Today they are 3400. Back then these were cheaper than OEM. But today they are more expensive than OEM. I just checked today and the OEM setup would have costed me around 7500 instead of 9200 that I paid.

Here is my thought process, for cars which do not see a lot of highway or hilly roads, stock makes more sense. For cars which see a decent highway and hilly roads these can be considered.

Rachit
Old 1st June 2018, 17:06   #9090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
After a long drive to the hills and back (1300 kms), today morning, I saw some amount of engine oil under the hood, especially around the intercooler hose/pipe. When the mechanic opened the pipe, little bit of oil dropped (say 5 ml). Is this normal or I need to worry? I do not see any performance loss and the smoke from the exhaust is normal. Mechanic advised to wait for a week and check oil level and if it goes down drastically, we may conclude that the turbo charger needs a change/overhaul. Have you encountered this problem?

Hi All,

Can somebody help me with the above query? I checked the oil today morning it is at normal levels, confirming no more bleeding of oil. However haven't driven hard in the last few days as it was just regular commute to office.

Last edited by Crank : 1st June 2018 at 17:07. Reason: Provide more info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks