Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 11:47   #9121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Try this one. I have been using this for quite sometime and it is very effective.

https://www.amazon.in/Bulls-Eye-Magn...ulls+eye&psc=1

Regards
Thanks for the recommendation. Where have you mounted the cradle, is it on top of the dash or is it near the AC vents?
Old 29th July 2018, 11:18   #9122
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

To all Vento 1.6 MPI owners, how is your car holding up?
I am getting a new Vento MPI with good discounts, thinking of trading the 2012 City Ivtec which has been a pain to own and get the MPI.
Not going for the explosive TDI thanks to the NGT ban. I want a safe and reliable car, I believe that the simple 1.6MPI should be bulletproof and the Vento should be trouble free after years of being here. Also, how is the ASS?
Looking forward to your inputs.

Last edited by Doge : 29th July 2018 at 11:20.
Old 29th July 2018, 11:27   #9123
BHPian

I don't own a Vento petrol but have driven my friends Vento. He also feels it is not as good an engine as the diesel

One problem to watch out for city is driving is lack of low end torque in the Petrol. I would suggest to go for the Vento TDI or wait for the petrol engine to launch in the Ciaz or S-cross. That K15 engine will have better low end grunt. Else, you could look at the car of the year hyundai Verna, that has a much better petrol engine than the Vento
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 11:42   #9124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
To all Vento 1.6 MPI owners, how is your car holding up?
I am getting a new Vento MPI with good discounts, thinking of trading the 2012 City Ivtec which has been a pain to own and get the MPI.
Not going for the explosive TDI thanks to the NGT ban. I want a safe and reliable car, I believe that the simple 1.6MPI should be bulletproof and the Vento should be trouble free after years of being here. Also, how is the ASS?
Looking forward to your inputs.
I upgraded from Polo 1.2 MPI to Vento 1.6 MPI and have used the Vento in city as well has highway conditions and I find the engine to be perfect especially the low end grunt ensures that intra-city commute is effortless, although let down a little by long clutch travel but that is typical VW. Also, it is reliable, I have never faced or read about anything going wrong with this engine. I own a Honda at home and no matter how good the fancy ivtec may be, reality is that it really struggles while driving within the city.
It is best to buy the car after extensive TDs since the general consensus says that 1.6MPI is not a great performer, but if it fulfills your personal requirements like it did in my case, then grab the deal and enjoy the VW experience.

On the downside be prepared for slightly lower FE as compared to your City.

Regarding ASS, it all depends on the dealer but regular maintainence with some proactiveness from your side will ensure that you don't have any sour experiences.

Good luck
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 11:46   #9125
BHPian

After almost 7 years of trouble free ownership of a 2011 Diesel Vento. I faced my first real problem.
It was the battery. I had replaced the battery in 2016 after 4 years of trouble free use on the advice of the service centre (VW Rajajinagar , Bangalore). It had costed me Rs7,500/- plus Rs250/- for installation.

Last Sunday, the car would not start, I checked the battery voltage (without the keys in the ignition) the voltage showed 12.5V, Insert the key and turn the ignition (not cranked yet) 4.5V.

I read about some of the member facing battery issues and worried the worst, but when I looked back the bills I realised that I could be still under warranty. On Monday I called VW Rajajinagar and they confirmed that the warranty was 2 years and thus, still valid for me. I had to get the car there to get the replacement done. The whole process would take 2 days. I then enquired if I could take the car to any ASC and if the warranty would be honoured and he confirmed that It would. I then proceeded to call VW PPS motors in Nagavara to confirm the same, they did.

Today morning, my friend came over to help with jump starting the car, we plugged the leads in the recommended (in the owners manual) manner and turned the ignition, the dashboard lit-up and all manner of lights started blinking

The battery voltage was now showing 8.5V. We stopped and I called the service centre. They sent over someone who then came with an jump starter (basically which has jump leads connected to an internal battery). He proceed to do the same things and ended up with the same result. He then visually inspected if any cables had damage , only the left indicator wire was cut due to a rat byte. He then gave up and asked me to get the car towed.

In between this me and my friend were brain storming and one of the ideas was to remove the -ve lead from the battery and directly jump start. I proposed this to the mechanic and he agreed. We turned the ignition and all the lights were normal this time and the car started on the first crank.

I drove the car to the ASC and have left it there. They too indicate that it will take 2 days for me to get the car back. Now keeping my fingers crossed.
krishnaprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:15   #9126
Distinguished - BHPian

Why does it take them 2 days to just replace a battery?
Old 31st July 2018, 12:21   #9127
BHPian

I asked this, they indicted that they have to first try to fully charge the battery and test. They also need to do a full electrical inspection to check of any of the electrical subsystems are at fault thus leading to a drain on the battery itself.

I'm not a daily user of the car and not having the car for the next to days do not matter for me so I did not pry further. I will try to get a photo of the worksheet.
Old 1st August 2018, 10:15   #9128
BHPian

I got the car back yesterday evening. The ASC replaced the battery under warranty.

I also found out why they ask for 2 days.. I have attached an image which explains the process of finding out a faulty battery.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_1503.jpg

as it turns out my car's battery did not pickup 10% or greater charge in the first five minutes with their equipment so they declared it faulty. Had it picked charge greater than 10%, it would have needed to be charged for 12hrs. which explains the need to keep the car for 2 days.

A note on the batteries, The last changed battery was made in spain and I thought it was exide (can't be fully sure though) . The new one however is made in korea. I also found a warranty card in my glove box (although I'm told by the ASC that the warranty does not refresh for the new battery) which indicates the battery could be from SEBANG GLOBAL.

I was charged only for the jump-start service an amount of Rs 650/- The warranty also included labor.
krishnaprasad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 17:54   #9129
BHPian

I am looking for good touch screen unit for my Vento 1.6 TDI which has reverse camera function, Apple car play, Navigation (google maps if possible) and good sound quality. can change the speakers also accordingly. currently have factory supplied unit and speakers. Don't want to overspend either as the car is 3 years old. but hardly used so planning an upgrade. just crossed 10,000 kms on the odo. so around 20-25,000 is fine for the unit.

Asking this here as this thread will be the most active amongst Vento users.
Old 11th August 2018, 12:59   #9130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Looks like this is a common practice across the VW service centres here in Cochin. I too had a similar experience at VW Kalamassery when my car went in for an oil change. They filled 4.5 litres of fresh oil and billed me for the same. There was some excess oil present when I checked next day morning at cold temps. I then took the help from one of the nearby FNGs and drained out the excess oil via the dipstick hole.
Attachment 1460831

Brought this up to the notice of the SA later and he was of the opinion that it is perfectly normal to have excess oil as VW engines have a behavior of consuming oil at a bit higher than normal rate and in order to compensate, they do this for all cars which come for an oil change. I was truly shocked to hear that and insisted that it is a wrong practice and I would only want to fill 4.3 litres which is the recommended quantity.

Here's what is specified in the manual:
Attachment 1460832

Request you to drive to the nearest FNG and get the excess drained out ASAP. Or if you can get a syringe + tube, you can do this yourself by inserting one end of the tube to the dipstick hole and the other end connected to the syringe. I think the latter would be best since you are not starting the car at all.

Guys, please keep a close watch on the fluid levels after service.
What would happen if they overfill the engine oil a little? I think i had done that in my XUV by mistake when I topped up at a local pump but then took it to the service centre the next day and the SA told me its ok. He said that if there’s any excess oil, the car will fume it out and nothing to worry. Won’t harm the engine. I guess the same applies to VW cars as well. Got my vento serviced today and just checked they have billed me for 4.4 litres of engine oil. That’s maybe 100ml more.

Last edited by magikrider : 11th August 2018 at 13:02.
Old 11th August 2018, 22:06   #9131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
What would happen if they overfill the engine oil a little? I think i had done that in my XUV by mistake when I topped up at a local pump but then took it to the service centre the next day and the SA told me its ok. He said that if there’s any excess oil, the car will fume it out and nothing to worry. Won’t harm the engine. I guess the same applies to VW cars as well. Got my vento serviced today and just checked they have billed me for 4.4 litres of engine oil. That’s maybe 100ml more.
Ideally it should be 4.3l. But since your car has run only 10k kms, it shouldn't be a problem as engine oil consumption is slightly high during the first 15-20k kms. Besides, you can check the level of the oil after driving for 5-10kms ie after the engine has warmed up. Everything is perfectly fine as long as the oil level is within the 'A' level as mentioned in your manual.

You have a picture of the 2014 1.6l TDI car as your avatar! Do you have the new Vento or is this a 2014 Vento? Just asking because of the 10k figure.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 06:16   #9132
BHPian

My Vento MPI is a September 2017 manufactured vehicle. Started driving the car from 30th September 2017. Currently at 13000 KMs. Should I take the car for its service in the first week of September or wait till the end so it may also complete the 15000 kms mark?

Few issues faced over the last 11 months, not a car that could be driven over pot holes and speed breakers without a worry. Even driven at 5KMPH it makes me feel that the underbody has been hit or taken a flack. Mileage in bumper to bumper traffic has been burning a hole in my pocket. Over all only 10 kmpl in Mumbai City.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:32   #9133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Ideally it should be 4.3l. But since your car has run only 10k kms, it shouldn't be a problem as engine oil consumption is slightly high during the first 15-20k kms. Besides, you can check the level of the oil after driving for 5-10kms ie after the engine has warmed up. Everything is perfectly fine as long as the oil level is within the 'A' level as mentioned in your manual.

You have a picture of the 2014 1.6l TDI car as your avatar! Do you have the new Vento or is this a 2014 Vento? Just asking because of the 10k figure.
Oh ok. will check the oil level at cold and see as now the car has already done 15-20 kms after service. they have also given me an extra oil bottle to keep in the car for top up if after 4-5k kms the oil level gets low, which does happen in VW Diesel cars they said.

Mine is the old Vento Highline, 2014 December Model I think. I got a good deal that time as the new model, the one with the flat bottom steering and 1.5 TDI, was just launched and they had just a few pieces of 1.6 TDI remaining. I anyways prefer the 1.6 over the 1.5. there's a lot of difference between the two in terms of power and pick up even though they are same on paper. had driven both models before buying.
Old 13th August 2018, 22:37   #9134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My Vento MPI is a September 2017 manufactured vehicle. Started driving the car from 30th September 2017. Currently at 13000 KMs. Should I take the car for its service in the first week of September or wait till the end so it may also complete the 15000 kms mark?
Car completes 1 year on 29 Sept 2018. So you should take it to workshop on same date or earlier if it completes 15,000 kms. You would get reminders on MID as servicing date gets closer.

VW Downtown Lalbaug and VW Autobahn Navi Mumbai are the better workshops.
Old 14th August 2018, 07:36   #9135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Car completes 1 year on 29 Sept 2018. So you should take it to workshop on same date or earlier if it completes 15,000 kms. You would get reminders on MID as servicing date gets closer.

VW Downtown Lalbaug and VW Autobahn Navi Mumbai are the better workshops.
Thank you. I take it to VW Downtown Sewri. They have been very kind and good so far for few petty issues. Although, I am not entirely happy with their body works like washing, waxing and especially scuffing. Learnt my lesson, all this can be done outside at a half price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks