Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 07:08   #271

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
One of my favourite YouTubers, ChrisFix, shows us how to install a hidden kill-switch in our cars. It's a complete DIY, and very easy to set up!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=XUhXLsrZiE0
This is exactly what I did, used the fuse of the fuel pump, added wiring from the back of the fusebox and added a switch which only I know where it is. Really a wonderful idea. No thief can go about trouble shooting a car that doesn't start.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:12   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
Am a complete novice- how to remove fuse/relays?
It is simple - Locate the fuse for the fuel injectors and remove them.

Below are the two videos for reference:

How to remove fuel injector fuse:

How to remove relays:

swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 07:30   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

I'm planning to buy a new car - Creta 2020 which will be equipped with Bluelink feature ( remote immobilization, location tracking, geo fencing etc)

I'm planning to further use a steering lock if I've to park my car in open at not-so-safe location.

My doubts are:

1. Considering thieves are also quite tech-savvy these days, how tamper-proof is bluelink technology especially immobilizer

2. Is there something which I can do to have a better sleep if I'm parking my car at tricky locations?

Cheers
The simplest is the kill switch. Anything else is complicated like gear lock or anything else.

The gps tracker is a costly affair since you need a sim card subscription and its always better to prevent them and discourage them from stealing. If they cant start the car they would spend time trouble shooting why it doest start. Basically you should get accustomed to switching off the hidden switch that only you know where it is after you switch off the car. So without the fuel pump coming on, it would never start the car and if the thief knows that its a kill switch he would have to spend at least an hour trying to find it.

In addition to this, I have a switch disabling the 12v power line to the obd port which they can use to duplicate a key. So when the guy tries to use the port he would not be able to use it. But when I want to use it for some mechanic to figure out trouble codes, I switch it on before I take it to the mechanic.
Old 14th March 2021, 08:24   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Also keen to know this. Unfortunately such incidents are on the rise. So want to be little geared up for my new Creta 2020.

Can anyone also help me understand if faraday pouch is worth a shot?

I'm further planning to use a brake lock which could be little inconvenient for the thief to cur through due to its position.

@all - Am i sounding paranoid with too much thinking? In my defence, Creta 2020 being high in demand is very much prone to thefts.
Kill switch is very fool proof way to protect your car. All other locks and things they can break. Without fuel coming they cannot start your car. And they would think the car is broken and leave it alone and try another car. GPS trackers and all is after the fact. After its stolen. Its better to be precautious.
You can add two different switches if you want to be double safe.

In addition to this I've added another switch to disable my obd port. I just used a multimeter to figure out which one is having 12v and then added a hidden switch to turn it off. I only turn it on before I use the OBD or if I have to take it to the mechanic.
Old 10th July 2021, 21:02   #275
BHPian

Is no one installing locks on their cars these days? All the threads related to securing cars seem to have dried up. Even companies like Autocop, Xenos seem to have shut shop and Minda doesn't manufacture gear locks these days.

Hoping that fellow members can guide me and let me know if such type of clutch locks Clutch Lock can be used on automatic cars too.

Last edited by JithinR : 10th July 2021 at 21:03.
Old 4th September 2021, 21:49   #276
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread.
Unfortunately yesterday my car was broken in by a seemingly professional thief who used a sling shot to break open the left 3rd row window pane with so much meticulousness.
This was caught in my CCTV camera and the theft happened at 9:57pm (Friday night) - we had just bade good bye to my sister at 9:30pm and closed the front gate around 9:40pm. I see in the CCTV the guy doing a recce around 9:45pm, sitting for a while in nearby road kerb and then coming back to make the theft.

See the youtube video link (no audio) - see from 35th sec

Fortunately the bag (a Kalyani motors bag that comes with every delivery - and i think it had the tax paid receipt, few charging wires, hard wire connector for my dashcam which i had not installed and some hospital discharge documents. I don't remember anything critical yet that might have been inside.

Had shared the CCTV grab with the police beat team and also visited the local police station to get the complaint registered for my insurance claim.

Posting it here for awareness.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-img_0090.jpg  

harishhm74 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 12:49   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

Hoping that fellow members can guide me and let me know if such type of clutch locks Clutch Lock can be used on automatic cars too.
I was looking at this Yarich lock but somehow I think that additional joint covered by M-Seal weakens the whole one piece security proposition. Initially, I looked up the company website and details and they do seem to exist on Internet at least, but I would rather prefer a one-piece Clutch lock than a M-Seal sealed two piece lock. It seems, they used this production method to optimize production cost by providing same model for different cars. There is other brand that I think might be better: Semaphore Clutch Lock.
Old 17th October 2021, 13:08   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Any suggestions? I have seen some cars using this, but is there something better?

https://www.amazon.in/Sevia-Anti-The...googinhydr1-21

I have been searching in the offline market. I realized that the the clamp locks sold are generic brands (called imported/ local manufacturing). Ranging from Rs. 600-Rs.850. I have read a lot on internet about Toriox as a good brand but have been unable to find any manufacturer details. So I am assuming, it is also a generic brand but probably a little better SEO/ SEM marketed. Now, while in offline market, I did happen to look at the locking key/ mechanism. Somehow, it did not inspire any confidence. It is probably very easy to pick that lock/ open using duplicate master key.

I have just been wondering what to use as physical locks:
1) Gear Locks - Tata has stopped providing this as an official accessory. Not responding to any query about warranty implications of getting installed from after-market.
2) Steering Lock - Nikavi seems to be good. But not available.
3) Clutch Lock - No branded products. Others are Yarich/ Semaphore
4) Clamp Locks - No branded products. Others Sevia, Toriox, etc.

Not sure what to choose. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
nitin_vish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 13:16   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Got a simple mechanical clutch lock for my Brezza. Product is available on Amazon, although I got it through a direct contact of the manufacturer.

It works by preventing the clutch pedal from getting pressed. Many modern engines don't even start without depressing the clutch pedal.

I feel a mechanical device is better to prevent thefts, as thieves with immobilizer neutralizing skills are likely not equipped to defeat such low-tech devices. At the very minimum it will increase the effort and time required to steal the car, which increases the possibility of getting caught in the act.

You simply lock the clutch pedal by inserting the lock from above
Attachment 1703577

View the lock from below
Attachment 1703578

Simple and strong lock, can be used across multiple vehicles as needed
Attachment 1703579
Hi, I was looking at a similar lock from Yarich. Link: https://www.amazon.in/Yarich-Car-Loc...dp/B088NYRT6N/

Could you please advise on:
1) Yarich seems to be a two pieces lock. (both pieces bolted using nuts/ allen keys and then access restricted by applying M-Seal). Is Onam's also a two-pieces lock? What is your opinion on security provided by two-pieces clutch locks?
2) Assuming that you are happy with the given lock, is it possible for you to share the contact of the manufacturer? They seem to have stopped selling on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2021 at 07:53. Reason: Minor formatting :)
Old 19th November 2021, 22:50   #280

Why are people stealing catalytic converters?

They contain trace amounts of 3 precious metals: platinum, palladium, and rhodium.

During the pandemic, prices of these metals have shot up to the moon. 3 yrs ago, Rhodium was ~$2k/oz.; in 2021, it hit ~$30k/oz. That's 15x more than gold!

https://twitter.com/zzcrockett/statu...GMDsQekAg&s=19

While this may not be popular in India, it's better to keep an eye out for such mischief during service.
Old 21st November 2021, 07:37   #281

Best is to service your car yourself. Basic oil and filter changes are easy.... Even gear oil and other oil changes are easy. Just search you tube and you can find hundreds of them.

As far as protecting your car from theft. As I mentioned before install a KILL SWITCH all by yourself.... nobody can start the car without that secret switch that only you know.
Old 4th December 2021, 12:44   #282

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ap...lice-1.5690819

Thieves using trackers to track and steal the cars!
Old 19th September 2022, 10:13   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
One of my favourite YouTubers, ChrisFix, shows us how to install a hidden kill-switch in our cars. It's a complete DIY, and very easy to set up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh5024 View Post
As I mentioned before install a KILL SWITCH all by yourself.... nobody can start the car without that secret switch that only you know.
hi Guys, just curious - wont this void the warranty ? Also, how will you get access to your own car, if that switch is turned off?
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:25   #284
VIZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_vish View Post

I have just been wondering what to use as physical locks:

Not sure what to choose. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, what lock did you choose? I recently got a Brezza ZXI+ AT and I'm in same boat as you were looking for a reliable lock.
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:46   #285
BHPian

Yarich clutch lock. Support was also good and quick when I had trouble adjusting the height of the lock

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks