Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here-3.html)

Take it for 5K looks like a good deal. And with the stuff to be changed on it the owner seems to have taken good care of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast4u (Post 433245)
theyve got good torque as good as a RE bullet. we had one sardar "bitta" in college days 1988 who had this lamby really loooong bike with the stepney fitted near to horizontal and then 5 of us including sardar bhai would go for a ride down the college roads. the FE was around 30.

still not worth 8000 but if ur heart rules the mind take it. to each his own.

its worth enjoying to have a ride that you love to ride.

haggled him down to 5k.
is it worth it ??????

if u dont want it, let me have it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 433369)
if u dont want it, let me have it!

dude you have no clue how much i have hunted this bike. . .will be taking possesion today.
cheers

wonderfull...keep us posted...pics please

man take it for 5K when u like something pick it especially if you just want to have it. just look for rust on the floor near brake pedal, check that rear wheel bearing is ok and wheel not wobbling, check straightline stability for no weight issues to either left right.

some mechanical issue will be there which can get sorted at the local garage and see if you can get all TOOLS & Spares whatever that he has for the price of 5K

we normally have a night out at a bar and spend 2 to 3K whats 5K when u r getting what u like even if its a little on the higher side

Hmmm... looking at the general sentiment you are probably gonna pick it up now. Yes, we do spend 2-3k in a night-out. From that perspective 5k for a vehicle sounds damn good. However if you want to know whether thats a fair valuation I would say no. Not by a mile and more. I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back. Its insane. Lambrettas do not fetch more than 3k even when they are in mint condition. In your case it will still require another 10-15k in repair costs. Well, that means the final landing cost for the scooter will be something between 15-20k. Uhuh... I would not have bought it mate.

Also remember that you do not get parts for Lambretta so easily. Mostly you will have to find a good mechanic who will always arrange for some jugaad to keep the vehicle running. That includes scavenged parts from junk dealers, second-hand parts from chor bazaars or else tweaks to fit parts from otehr vehicles.

I would have understood all these if Lambrettas had some antic values. But they don't have that either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 433569)
Hmmm... looking at the general sentiment you are probably gonna pick it up now. Yes, we do spend 2-3k in a night-out. From that perspective 5k for a vehicle sounds damn good. However if you want to know whether thats a fair valuation I would say no. Not by a mile and more. I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back. Its insane. Lambrettas do not fetch more than 3k even when they are in mint condition. In your case it will still require another 10-15k in repair costs. Well, that means the final landing cost for the scooter will be something between 15-20k. Uhuh... I would not have bought it mate.

Also remember that you do not get parts for Lambretta so easily. Mostly you will have to find a good mechanic who will always arrange for some jugaad to keep the vehicle running. That includes scavenged parts from junk dealers, second-hand parts from chor bazaars or else tweaks to fit parts from otehr vehicles.

I would have understood all these if Lambrettas had some antic values. But they don't have that either.

you have me confused again . . .
hehehehe
btw my other ride is an 1984 bullet.

My Grandad had one, he gave of generiously..! to his Lab assistant.

5 k go get it!! get some classic color scheme and fix a cdi ignition from newer gen scooter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 433569)
I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back.

hey hey hey factor in the inflation too, the index cost of money back then.
so to get a correct calculation of the gain/loss of the original owner, 5000 x index no of years divided by xxx, but does the real cost of money matter in this case, i guess not :)
Pal if you feel right, go get it!!

manson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 433885)
hey hey hey factor in the inflation too, the index cost of money back then.
so to get a correct calculation of the gain/loss of the original owner, 5000 x index no of years divided by xxx, but does the real cost of money matter in this case, i guess not :)
Pal if you feel right, go get it!!

manson.

Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy. A vehicle is not an investment in gold or property or some such thing. Vehicles, machinery etc do not appreciate or factor in the inflationary cost. They depreciate in value over the years. Till the time when they reduce to zero value. That is when machinery and vehicles are scrapped. Now a lambretta of 25 years vintage is nothing but scrap.

I remember when my dad's lambretta was sold off our mech had given a straight faced reply. He said, you will be better off selling it to some junk dealer by weight. Chances are you will get more that ways. That was because we were not getting anyone willing to buy it for more than 1000 bucks. Ultimately we sold it off to someone for 1500 rupees. And mind you it was in fine running condition. Had a paint job done and the engine was completely overhauled and all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 433926)
Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy.
Had a paint job done and the engine was completely overhauled and all.

and yet, funnily, most of the Lambretta's in Europe today (fully restored ones) fetch close to 1000 pounds and above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 433926)
Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy. A vehicle is not an investment in gold or property or some such thing. Vehicles, machinery etc do not appreciate or factor in the inflationary cost. They depreciate in value over the years. Till the time when they reduce to zero value. That is when machinery and vehicles are scrapped. Now a lambretta of 25 years vintage is nothing but scrap.

But what i was tryin to point out was that rs.5000 spent back in 1984 had a lot more value than rs.5000 now.
by the formula i mentioned, one would figure what the rs.5000 spent in 1984 means in today's value.
And, automobiles (atleast cars), ceased to be called a type of an investment till only 15-17 years ago. Thee was a time when prices were always gradually increased, remember my father tellin me that back then they would sell off a vehicle after three - four years of use for close to the original purchasing value, simply due to the increasing prices, very unlike the scenario today. Maybe our old school members could shed some more ight on the same.

manson.

hello all,

with great disappointment i have to say that i did not pick that lamby up.

many reasons. main was . . . i was looking for that scooter to be a back up for my bullet and all including my mechanic told me if i ride the scooter for a long time my back will be f&*#@d. so if anyone would like to buy that bike kindly pm me.

cheers