Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here-12.html)

Nice pic. anjan! However I suspect that these are very much innocenti brochures just "retouched" by API, like the black paint spot on the mudguard for the numberplate- as Indian women (even models) back then were hardly known to be seen in anything other than a Saree! Nor were they as slim & trim back then, as the model in the pic. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 931548)
Nice pic. anjan! However I suspect that these are very much innocenti brochures just "retouched" by API, like the black paint spot on the mudguard for the numberplate- as Indian women (even models) back then were hardly known to be seen in anything other than a Saree! Nor were they as slim & trim back then, as the model in the pic. :)

I have to disagree here. The features of both look quite Indian to me, especially with the number plate portion being unique to India. As for the touch up part, the entire ad is touched up, routine for the era.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 931616)
I have to disagree here. The features of both look quite Indian to me, especially with the number plate portion being unique to India. As for the touch up part, the entire ad is touched up, routine for the era.

These are pictures from a Lambretta (API) calendar from 1960. Stanher it must be original I believe! The hard copy is with me.
Will post better resolution pictures tommorow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 931616)

Sorry, by the "retouched" bit I was indeed referring to the numberplate portion. IMHO though, except for that bit I dont see any aspect that relates to India, unlike most other period ads/brochures Ive seen.

Hello friends,
I am one another Lambretta enthusiast, succeeded retaining my dad's 1985 Vijai Super. Still in good running condition. Had done a lot of experiments on it. The engine has never been opened so far. It had a Mikuni carb similar to the one you find in a Bullet or Rajdoot. Couple of years back the float started overflowing, and I was fed up changing the need assembly and float unit about 3 to 4 times. You guys might be aware that a new bullet carb would'nt fit in because it has got a flange for mounting which you dont find in the Vijai Super. From one of our time pass projects with an autorickshaw I learnt that the newer versions of Bajaj Auto rickshaws have got an adapter which can fit in a carb similar to the one in Suzuki Max 100R. And finally now my scooter runs on a Max 100R carb.

There is still one more piece of interesting information for our lambretta enthusists. The Clutch bell (the inner one which has got a Circlip lock), the clutch plates, friction plates, clutch springs, and the flywheel with the coolng fan are one and the same for the CNG version of Vikram 410 Manufactured by Scootes India Ltd. I have replaced the clutch plates and springs with the SIL spares only.

Any others who would like to know more about the carb modification, or any other intersting upgrades, I would be glad to share my ideas with you.

- ILANGO

Vanakkam and Welcome Ilango! :)

Thanks, that was some great info. you've shared with us on the carbs and clutch parts. Hopefully this will give us more hope on how to keep our machines more reliable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilangop (Post 976737)
Hello friends,
I am one another Lambretta enthusiast, succeeded retaining my dad's 1985 Vijai Super. Still in good running condition. Had done a lot of experiments on it.

That was interesting. I was suspecting that some engine/transmission parts from SIL's range of 3-wheelers would be identical to those used on Lambrettas and Vijai Supers.
Is there a difference beween Lambretta LI 150 Series 2 and Vijai Super carbs? I have a Spaco-made Dell'Orto MB19BS carb on my Lambretta LI 150 Series 2.
Whats the jet size on the Max 100R carb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilangop (Post 976737)
Hello friends,
I am one another Lambretta enthusiast, succeeded retaining my dad's 1985 Vijai Super. Still in good running condition. Had done a lot of experiments on it. The engine has never been opened so far. It had a Mikuni carb similar to the one you find in a Bullet or Rajdoot. Couple of years back the float started overflowing, and I was fed up changing the need assembly and float unit about 3 to 4 times. You guys might be aware that a new bullet carb would'nt fit in because it has got a flange for mounting which you dont find in the Vijai Super. From one of our time pass projects with an autorickshaw I learnt that the newer versions of Bajaj Auto rickshaws have got an adapter which can fit in a carb similar to the one in Suzuki Max 100R. And finally now my scooter runs on a Max 100R carb.

There is still one more piece of interesting information for our lambretta enthusists. The Clutch bell (the inner one which has got a Circlip lock), the clutch plates, friction plates, clutch springs, and the flywheel with the coolng fan are one and the same for the CNG version of Vikram 410 Manufactured by Scootes India Ltd. I have replaced the clutch plates and springs with the SIL spares only.

Any others who would like to know more about the carb modification, or any other intersting upgrades, I would be glad to share my ideas with you.

- ILANGO

well u should post some pics here of carb modification u have done also how many mm is the carb your r using now is it working better than the original carb ???????.

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (any1 = anyone, dat = that, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 977390)
That was interesting. I was suspecting that some engine/transmission parts from SIL's range of 3-wheelers would be identical to those used on Lambrettas and Vijai Supers.
Is there a difference beween Lambretta LI 150 Series 2 and Vijai Super carbs? I have a Spaco-made Dell'Orto MB19BS carb on my Lambretta LI 150 Series 2.
Whats the jet size on the Max 100R carb?

Thanks for the warm welcome for my post. Hello Sid, the carbs in LI150 (The APL Lamby and its elder brothers) and Vijai Super were not the same. That you can quickly notice from the dimensions of the air filter hose. Vijai supers had carbs made by Solex on a few versions, and Micarb on the newest ones. These carb modifications I did about 5 to 6 years back when I was a BE student, while I did'nt care much for the venturi size. I under took this modification out of sheer frustration from my scores of attempts to fix the leaking Micarb float, and needle. As much I remember the Micarb had a #90 main jet where as the ones from MAX 100 R had a smaller one.

Guys,
Regarding the Carb modification I did for the Vijai super, I would like to share my piece of experience with you. As the scooter is with my dad, back in my home town I assure to post some of the pics while I visit home for Diwali. About the carburettor I bought, It was a Carb from an AX 100 (Not from MAX 199 R). Well, what difference it makes is that the AX 100 carb had a air inlet which will exactly mate the air inlet hose from a vijai super. Care should be taken to retain the plastic ring which you will find in the old Micarb. You need it here.
The newer versions of bajaj auto rickshaws which have got this MAX 100 R's carb make use of a coupling hose to connect the carb with the intake pipe. Thats also required here. Now that the total length of the carb together with this adaptor hose has increased, there would not be sufficient free air flow once you close the left bonnet. So I had to to remove about half an inch of the intake aluminium pipe. Since I was not sure how this metal removal job was going to turm out, I bought an intake pipe from the scrapped vehicle and turned it out.

And now the cables..you can get a new accelerator cable soldered with a bead of lead to fit into the new carb (The new carb does not have a lever as you ll find in the solex or spacos).

Finally I was satisfied with my job and never touched it again. The vehicles run good, and gives you almost the same mileage as before. The only short coming was the top speed. Even after enough metal removal from the intake pipe the carb was still protruding and the air hose was slightly squeezed on closing the bonnet. The end result is that the engine suffocates a bit while at full throttle and the max-speed is reduced.

The next time I want to make a still better job. I would like to prepare a flange which would accomodate the Bullet's carb in the intake pipe. Need some time for it.

hey even i am restoring my lambretta series 2 1968. its my father's machine and i wish to gift it to him once again - concourse restoration with parts from Italy in Jan 2009!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 901979)
I suggest that we start a new thread dedicated to Lambretta scooter restoration and maintenance. The reason being, Stanher is restoring his 1960 LI 150 S2, and I'm doing the same with my 1970 model. We could exchange info on the more technical aspects of owning a Lambretta.
Roll Call: Is there anyone else beside Stanher and myself who is restoring a Lambretta scooter?

Guys here are the pics of a LD under my restoration project apart from the 1968 Series 2 that I have already started work on.

Stay tuned for more stuff and updates on both these projects.

Cheers

Am looking for a LD model - if any one comes across one please let me know.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA7VA5 (Post 1015052)
Am looking for a LD model - if any one comes across one please let me know.

At first, I thought the above one was purchased by yourself! stupid:

One more here. 1985 Vijai Super Mark II. Still running. No one else uses it, except me while I visit my parents. Thats simply a cool scooter.