Team-BHP - Bangalore Beetle Club (BBC)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Bangalore Beetle Club (BBC) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/28134-bangalore-beetle-club-bbc-14.html)

Hello BBC members..I've come across a 1961 VW Beetle Rag top..i was hoping if you could throw more light on it..I haven't seen any ragtop's earlier an di'm looking for some information on them.

Thanks & Regards,
FJHustler

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 988680)
It has a recent Coorg KA12 reg but in a California plate frame (could be added). Be totally original, I do not understand why this would have been added except for past nostalgia

It is possible that she is an import, though equally possible that the frame was a recent addition. Bug accessories are a big business, this car has so many of them and looks so fresh, it could be a recent restoration with a lot of parts imported. Do try and sniff out some more details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJhustler (Post 988706)
Hello BBC members..I've come across a 1961 VW Beetle Rag top..i was hoping if you could throw more light on it..I haven't seen any ragtop's earlier an di'm looking for some information on them.

Thanks & Regards,
FJHustler

Hi,

Check this pic, This is a 1962 ragtop from Bangalore,

The other red ragtop was restored by Vinay-Bangalore. Thats a marvelous piece. Heard its been sold to a top collector for an astronomous price.

Hi Pavan..thanks a lot for the pic..it's a similar one i'm talking about..it is a model 113 - VW Sedan de Luxe.

Will try and get a pic tomorrow...Are rag tops common in India??

the red convertible was sold for 21 lacs, but an amazing machine..well worth the money!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by (IVI) (Post 989893)
the red convertible was sold for 21 lacs, but an amazing machine..well worth the money!!

Guru Chakramji,

Surprised to see you active after a decade.

Agree with you on the red convertible. Was a marvelous piece, and spotless too.

Lucky guy who got hold of it.cheers:

The Ragtops are not a very common sight in India FJhustler.
Here is a picture of my 1962 beetle ragtop.

21 lacs???sure you got the figure right ??mebe a dot missing somewhere?? i have see the car, its great and well restored, though im not too convinced about the value.Anyways its between the seller and buyer and really none of our business so to say.

Speedy,
Can u post the first 3 digits of the VIN. The reason I'm curious is you car (nice one btw) has the large side windows and larger front windshield (compare with the yellow blore care) which in my recollection came in the late 60s. The thin side chrome is 68-on.

Byas

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 990227)
The Ragtops are not a very common sight in India FJhustler.
Here is a picture of my 1962 beetle ragtop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Convertible (Post 993957)
Speedy,
Can u post the first 3 digits of the VIN. The reason I'm curious is you car (nice one btw) has the large side windows and larger front windshield (compare with the yellow blore care) which in my recollection came in the late 60s. The thin side chrome is 68-on.

Byas

It is indeed not a 62, Speedy and me have discussed this before as well. I forget the outcome though:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 996835)
It is indeed not a 62, Speedy and me have discussed this before as well. I forget the outcome though:D

That car in the pic which you guys are discussing is certianly not the original ragtop.

1962 (1 Aug 61 to 31 July 62)
Chassis 4,010,995 - 4,846,835
Engine 3,924,023 - 3,924,914
Engine 5,958,948 - 6,935,203
Fuel gauge replaces reserve tap.
Tail light ‘glass' now plastic.
Spring balance to front hood.
Sliding covers on heater outlets.
Progressive valve springs.
Anchor points for seat belts.
Stronger clutch springs.
Windshield washer uses spare tire for air pressure.
Last year of semaphores on domestic models.
1200 cc engine 40 bhp.

Look at the 5 lug wheels, big windows,. all ragtops came with semaphores and smaller windows.

That Beetle is sure a 1966 Beetle with some additions on the roof, though done in nice taste.clap:

Also note the leatherette starts right at the back of the car, which is not the case with the actual ragtop.

But must appreciate, that car is really neat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat001 (Post 990251)
21 lacs???sure you got the figure right ??mebe a dot missing somewhere?? i have see the car, its great and well restored, though im not too convinced about the value.Anyways its between the seller and buyer and really none of our business so to say.

when crap cars are selling for hefty prices by the dealers / cons, who is to determine the price

Quote:

Originally Posted by (IVI) (Post 997580)
when crap cars are selling for hefty prices by the dealers / cons, who is to determine the price

clap:agree:,
Well said. Need we say further.

why is somebody getting so miffed about the price being 21 lakhs........i don't understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naren4140 (Post 1014274)
why is somebody getting so miffed about the price being 21 lakhs........i don't understand.

A nice car deserves a price. And to say, that Car was a masterpiece.

Have you had a look at that Convertible Naren. I could say it had just rolled out of the Factory assembly line.:)