Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 19:54   #346
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Mr PK have you by any chance raised the front and the rear suspensions of your bug as the height (both front and rear) seems to be more than what is normally should be?? Unless your wheel rims are not that of Original bug..
FRONT:

Stock, bought brand new suspension part including the torsion blades at the front. Only the shock absorber are from amby, It's new so maybe at its right height.

REAR

Almost everything is stock again, except for the suspension sway bar, i have used coil spring suspension. The camber is bit -ve at the rear, which will be done when i have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
you are ""spot on"" in that observation. '
If it is original VW rims it will be having the VW logo embossed on the rims.just check for that.
Also the original german shock absorbers for front were FICHTELL-SACHS and the rear shocks were BOGE
I need to scrape the rims to answer your question, But i am not willing to do that.

I dont have that kind of money to get the German shocks, i am happy with the Indian one's. Thank you

The height is perfect, unless you guys are used to seeing some dropped down cars.

Also the tyres are radials and smaller, maybe that might look a bit different.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-1edt.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc08913.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc08905.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc08.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc_6633-large.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 20th August 2010 at 20:11.
Old 20th August 2010, 21:27   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
FRONT:

Stock, bought brand new suspension part including the torsion blades at the front. Only the shock absorber are from amby, It's new so maybe at its right height.

REAR

Almost everything is stock again, except for the suspension sway bar, i have used coil spring suspension. The camber is bit -ve at the rear, which will be done when i have time.

I need to scrape the rims to answer your question, But i am not willing to do that.

I dont have that kind of money to get the German shocks, i am happy with the Indian one's. Thank you

The height is perfect, unless you guys are used to seeing some dropped down cars.

Also the tyres are radials and smaller, maybe that might look a bit different.
What is your Tyre size? If it is radial (which is what it is) it should be 165 SR 15. If you have the original specs tyres and the original suspension with new leaf springs the distance between top of the tyre to the fender should be 6-8 inches (max) anything more than that will have a -ve impact on the cushioning of your car and may damage your suspension in the long run. Coil spring suspension was not a part of your model so avoid if you are planning to get it to originality. If you are unable to afford the original german shocks go for the Fiat ones they will fit fine and if still does not work there is a problem with your suspension as the height is way too different than what it should be and may also impact your chassis. Happy to lend you a front suspension as I have a spare one which I had bought for experimenting but never got time to do any.

Last edited by 67Bug : 20th August 2010 at 21:30.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:14   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
What is your Tyre size? If it is radial (which is what it is) it should be 165 SR 15. If you have the original specs tyres and the original suspension with new leaf springs the distance between top of the tyre to the fender should be 6-8 inches (max) anything more than that will have a -ve impact on the cushioning of your car and may damage your suspension in the long run. Coil spring suspension was not a part of your model so avoid if you are planning to get it to originality. If you are unable to afford the original german shocks go for the Fiat ones they will fit fine and if still does not work there is a problem with your suspension as the height is way too different than what it should be and may also impact your chassis. Happy to lend you a front suspension as I have a spare one which I had bought for experimenting but never got time to do any.
The front shocks(dampers) were changed from 1965 models and requires a mounting kit which consists of bushes,metal washers etc.you can use Koni or COFAP shock absorbers if you are looking for a cheaper alternative.I doubt whether fiat dampers will fit the front .
here are the pictures of the rear and front (second picture)shock absorbers
by they way are the german OE NOS shock absorbers really too expensive vis-a-vis indian ones??
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-rear.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-front.jpg  

Last edited by ajay99 : 21st August 2010 at 13:17.
Old 25th August 2010, 22:23   #349
BANNED

some more add-ons as on today.

I am loving it
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0740.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0739.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0738.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 20:12   #350
BANNED

Very funny to spot your own car on roads, unaware.........!

My bro had taken it out very early last Saturday morning, and i was surprised spot it by around 8pm near Jayanagar, driving around in heavy rains.

Also, i have a slight problem at hand, i have noticed the engine oil becoming thin once its old and hot, during this moments of driving,the engine starts sounding harsh during idle. But on normal speeds the engine noise becomes normal.

Need a correct grade engine oil now.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0787.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0789.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 20:24   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very funny to spot your own car on roads, unaware.........!

My bro had taken it out very early last Saturday morning, and i was surprised spot it by around 8pm near Jayanagar, driving around in heavy rains.

Also, i have a slight problem at hand, i have noticed the engine oil becoming thin once its old and hot, during this moments of driving,the engine starts sounding harsh during idle. But on normal speeds the engine noise becomes normal.

Need a correct grade engine oil now.
Is the oil pressure warning light coming on when the engine is hot?
then your assumption is correct. You could use a more viscous oil like 20/50 instead of 20/40.
also you could use an VDO oil pressure gauge as an accessory fitment which lets you know the correct oil pressure .
Another thing you could use is a cylinder head temperature gauge(VDO) which comes with 2 types of sensors (dipstick and screw )
Old 8th September 2010, 20:43   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Is the oil pressure warning light coming on when the engine is hot?
then your assumption is correct. You could use a more viscous oil like 20/50 instead of 20/40.
also you could use an VDO oil pressure gauge as an accessory fitment which lets you know the correct oil pressure .
Another thing you could use is a cylinder head temperature gauge(VDO) which comes with 2 types of sensors (dipstick and screw )

The engine temperature is normally OK , but the problem arises when.

1) The oil becomes old
2) Once the car runs more than 100 kms at a stretch on a single run, the engine noise becomes coarse, Also the oil thins.

Yes, you are correct, i need to use more viscous oil or maybe a thicker oil.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:06   #353
Senior - BHPian

Raghav-aavare, why not try synthetic? Anyways, this car is for life in your case, might as well walk the mile to make it super smooth. At least the next rebuild will get delayed by double the normal period?
Old 11th September 2010, 11:21   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Raghav-aavare, why not try synthetic? Anyways, this car is for life in your case, might as well walk the mile to make it super smooth. At least the next rebuild will get delayed by double the normal period?

Sir........!

I had used synthetic oil on the Bug during my last service.

VW Manual recommends oil change every 6 months or 3500 kms whichever is lesser

So the oil change interval of 6 months is mandatory irrespective of type of oil used. In that case, synthetic oil may last me double the time......... I am confused.....?

2 more months before i do my regular engine oil change.

Also will be replacing transmission oil ,, this time with a 140 grade Castrol.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc08866.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th September 2010 at 11:23.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:47   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir........!

I had used synthetic oil on the Bug during my last service.

VW Manual recommends oil change every 6 months or 3500 kms whichever is lesser

So the oil change interval of 6 months is mandatory irrespective of type of oil used. In that case, synthetic oil may last me double the time......... I am confused.....?

2 more months before i do my regular engine oil change.

Also will be replacing transmission oil ,, this time with a 140 grade Castrol.
It is always better to use the prescribed oil,(not synthetic).
Also as far as possible try to use the same brand oil which you are using, unless the engine is rebuilt and filling it for first time

Last edited by ajay99 : 11th September 2010 at 13:50.
Old 11th September 2010, 20:18   #356
BHPian

Pavan,
Regarding your engine noise -- check your valve clearances and make sure they are within spec. Looser clearances become noisier as the oil heats up and thins.

BTW, The Quartz 7000 is a semi-synth -- a mix of synth and regular oil -- not a 100% synth.

B
Old 11th September 2010, 20:31   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Pavan,
Regarding your engine noise -- check your valve clearances and make sure they are within spec. Looser clearances become noisier as the oil heats up and thins.

BTW, The Quartz 7000 is a semi-synth -- a mix of synth and regular oil -- not a 100% synth.

B
Hi Byas,

Tappet settings done.

Pressure relief valves checked

Need to know what oil to use............?

Guide

After the oil change, my next set of work will be "Getting rid of those Scorpio door handles and replacing it with the Original Push Button type VW Door Handle"
Old 12th September 2010, 11:51   #358
BHPian

Castrol 20W50 or equivalent should be fine.

Look forward to those door handles.

B
Old 12th September 2010, 12:51   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Castrol 20W50 or equivalent should be fine.

Look forward to those door handles.

B
Will check for 20W50 grade engine oil tomorrow. Thanks Byas.

Well, the door handles are with me, look at the attached pics

Also, Byas, I have the ORVM's, but the mounts are not available, and i dont know where to source them.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0989.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0990.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0991.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0992.jpg  

Old 12th September 2010, 21:04   #360
Senior - BHPian

Pawan,

Castrol is a very good brand, but how we are going to ensure that we get genuine and not fake. A question worth asking. I always try to buy oil at petrol pumps and use Shell. The logic is simple, they have bigger things to play with rather than small and slow moving goods like "Oil".

Secondly try to Look for API SJ or SL or SM service class oils. API SG and SH are kind of obselete.

Similarly for Diesel Engines API CI4, which is latest. CF4 and CH4 are normally available.

Newer classification have better oxidation protection, protection from high temperature engine deposits, foaming, acid formation, sludge control and rust and corrosion protection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks