Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 18:19   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Wasn't the car made in Mexico until a few years ago? Isin't there a good parts supply from there?
The car was indeed made in BRAZIL till1987 and Mexico till 2003.
But the brazilian and mexican parts are nowhere near the GERMAN genuine VW items when it comes to Quality and durability
Old 20th November 2010, 19:48   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thank you Gill saab.

Yes Buddy, Beetle parts are available without any trouble, only trouble being the import duty. But thats OK. We can live with that, there are few NOS spares with few dealers, who quote exorbitant prices.

I learnt a hard lesson sometime back buying the so called NOS spares.

1) Bought, 1955- NOS- Made in England Champion spark plugs (set of 4) for Rs 375 each. All the plugs fired only for the first 10 kms, later all failed. (this was for the Wolsley)

2) Bought NOS 1970 Harting charging cut-out for the VW Bus, worked fine only for a 100 kms, later that thing won't charge.

White wall tyres are available with MRF, sirjee, i feel you need to check with few stockists from Mumbai. DONT MENTION for a VW Beetle. Just ask the tyrewalla's " Need Tyre for my Ambassador" both are 15 inch.
Your comment/opinion on NOS spares is not correct.
First of all to the best of my info "harting""" is not a genuine VW item,the OE cut outs were either BOSCH or HELLA
by the way I remember you mentioning you used the Harting cut out for your beetle also
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1865698
NOS need not necessarily mean NEW ORIGINAL STOCK but it can be NEW OLD STOCK and that can either be genuine OE item or repro .
You have to look out for the genuine boxed stuff and Those items do last long and that is the reason why such items sell at a premium.
will you believe that DENSO ignition coils(Japan) which came in the old SS80's are still in service in some old maruti's. compare that with the ignition coils available these days
Old 21st November 2010, 19:27   #423
Senior - BHPian

PAVAN's BEETLE was unearthed today and handed over to FCB.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-dsc00153.jpg  

Old 21st November 2010, 19:49   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
PAVAN's BEETLE was unearthed today and handed over to FCB.
What is the ''role'' of an aircooled VW in a FIAT club??
Old 21st November 2010, 20:14   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
In general, what is the role of an Parts dealer in a restoration thread? - To help restore a car and earn a living.

Role of PAVAN's Beetle in FIAT Club was to encourage FIATians in the FIAT Club to maintain their cars well like PAVAN does.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:18   #426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
In general, what is the role of an Parts dealer in a restoration thread? - To help restore a car and earn a living.

Role of PAVAN's Beetle in FIAT Club was to encourage FIATians in the FIAT Club to maintain their cars well like PAVAN does.
And funkykar rightly said. Thanks for your invite.

When FCB does not have an issue, i wonder why you should have a trouble.

I was invited by each and every FCB'ian to be a part of the drive, and that only to encourage all Fiat'ians to keep driving their classics like the way i do.

Quote:
Well Ajay99.

There is no rule saying, like minded people should not meet. You may not like socializing, but my nature is opposite.

Had fun today, with such lovely people.

1) Drove the BUG - 1:30pm to 4:30pm
2) Drove the Baywindow - 5:00pm to 6:00 pm
3) Drove the Splitwindow - 6:30pm to 7:30 pm

OTOH had a bit of issues also, My Bug was running HOTTTTT.....! and SMOKINGGGGGGg........! thought they were from the new gaskets and a bit of oil leak, but things went beyond control midway

Got down to see the issue, That Darned...! firewall felt was the culprit, blocking the air suction point and choking the BUG, Sad fellow.. Pulled it out and things were normal again yahooooooo...!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1774.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1772.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1775.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1777.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1776.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_1780.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st November 2010 at 21:28.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:57   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Your comment/opinion on NOS spares is not correct.
First of all to the best of my info "harting""" is not a genuine VW item,the OE cut outs were either BOSCH or HELLA
by the way I remember you mentioning you used the Harting cut out for your beetle also
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1865698
NOS need not necessarily mean NEW ORIGINAL STOCK but it can be NEW OLD STOCK and that can either be genuine OE item or repro .
You have to look out for the genuine boxed stuff and Those items do last long and that is the reason why such items sell at a premium.
will you believe that DENSO ignition coils(Japan) which came in the old SS80's are still in service in some old maruti's. compare that with the ignition coils available these days
agree sir, even my 1966 toyota is still running on a denso coil its ,a slim coil with Denso Made in Japan written on ot!
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:56   #428
Team-BHP Support

Pavan those seats look superb! How much was the final bill? Share the shop details and a review, will be helpful for many in BLR.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:26   #429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pavan those seats look superb! How much was the final bill? Share the shop details and a review, will be helpful for many in BLR.
Thanks Jaggu

The damages to my pocket was close to 20K

I was given a different estimate, but as work progressed, did not want to compromise on any aspect, so went FULL OUT.

Regarding the shop details, i have pm'ed you.
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:28   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
And funkykar rightly said. Thanks for your invite.

When FCB does not have an issue, i wonder why you should have a trouble.

I was invited by each and every FCB'ian to be a part of the drive, and that only to encourage all Fiat'ians to keep driving their classics like the way i do.

Well Ajay99.

There is no rule saying, like minded people should not meet. You may not like socializing, but my nature is opposite.

Had fun today, with such lovely people.

1) Drove the BUG - 1:30pm to 4:30pm
2) Drove the Baywindow - 5:00pm to 6:00 pm
3) Drove the Splitwindow - 6:30pm to 7:30 pm

OTOH had a bit of issues also, My Bug was running HOTTTTT.....! and SMOKINGGGGGGg........! thought they were from the new gaskets and a bit of oil leak, but things went beyond control midway

Got down to see the issue, That Darned...! firewall felt was the culprit, blocking the air suction point and choking the BUG, Sad fellow.. Pulled it out and things were normal again yahooooooo...!
Pavan Kadam,
Who said I have an issue ? I never said so! I was just stating the obvious.It is unusual to have a Fiat club having a classic VW as its participant .
Also how can you make such a comment about a person whom you have never met or talked. !!
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:12   #431
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with Ajay on one count, German parts. They are termed more authentic among the VW restorers around the globe and command higher value. But if some one is OK with American stuff it is his wish .
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:27   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I would agree with Ajay on one count, German parts. They are termed more authentic among the VW restorers around the globe and command higher value. But if some one is OK with American stuff it is his wish .

Thanks, manish .This is the main fact that I have been trying to put through in the VW restoration threads, but unfortunately my intent has been misunderstood by a few .
It is also perfectly ok if one is using repro/local/Brazilian stuff .But the issue arises when they start claiming it is superior/equivalent to the OEM/genuine german stuff
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:38   #433
BHPian

German parts or American parts, as long as the parts are reliable anything should do. Whats the point in having all OE parts but one never know when the car will stall! Considering the way the new gen German cars are breaking down, I feel days of "German Quality" have changed.

On Sunday I felt so happy at PK's Beetle. We Fiat guys were cruising at 100kmph and Beetle was comfortably speeding at 120+!!!! This reliability is most important!
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:32   #434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Whats the point in "Having the cake and not able to eat it" Manish.

German spares are not affordable by me,thats a plain starking truth. But am i going in for cheap locally made spares.

I value my cars very dearly, and i can atleast afford Quality US spares that come to me from www.midamericamotorworks.com

I am not making a Concurs or a 100% ORIGINAL car, but my aim is to keep my cars working as any present day cars, but with "SUNDAR SASTAA AUR TIKAAAU SPARES" and i have achieved that with any cars i restore till date.

p.s: Have'nt i given you the exclusive and expensive Air-Box for your Fiat free of cost? was'nt that OE , do you ever get to buy such items locally made?

Hope you understood what i meant to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
German parts or American parts, as long as the parts are reliable anything should do. Whats the point in having all OE parts but one never know when the car will stall! Considering the way the new gen German cars are breaking down, I feel days of "German Quality" have changed.

On Sunday I felt so happy at PK's Beetle. We Fiat guys were cruising at 100kmph and Beetle was comfortably speeding at 120+!!!! This reliability is most important!
Hi Buddy, I was certainly not speeding to show off

I wanted to take some nice snaps going up ahead of you guys, but once i started revving, everyone started pushing their cars so i could never get my PIC.

About spares, i truly agree with your view point, I have been trying to let people know about this, but some guys dont understand ever.

Its imperative that only guys who OWN CARS of such nature will understand its true value, rather than talk about German / US / Brazilian spares.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd November 2010 at 19:45.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:14   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post

We are talking about NOS /genuine spares which were manufactured in Germany decades ago not the one Made in Taiwan or Made in Korea by German Manufacturers in recent years. Many German cars these days are having parts which are made in cheaper cost effective locations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks