Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 20:22   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Ok its great to see this thread alive. The problem with my car is that 2 years back the engine was overhauled with new piston set and till date ran only 13000 kms and the oil is visible in the spark plugs. I cannot understand what is the cause of this problem. please help

Dear Samsag- I have experienced this before, infact i experienced oil on spark plugs within 300 kms of use. Reason being a full engine job as one may say was required well as the mechanic misjudged it for a half engine job. it implies only changing the piston rings and some valve job. The sleeve had not been changed. Fortunately got a full engine job done. change of piston rings, sleeves, engine bearings, gudgeon pins and other components. Yes most problem was solved apart from high oil pressure which can be set.
Old 6th January 2010, 21:22   #242
BHPian

hi guys get an compression gauge open the plugs one by one take out the plug fix the comp gauge to the place where the plug is removed crank the engine till about the gauge shows how much of comp is max it will not go beyond a limit check all four cyclinders and compare the ratios if any cyclinder is weak then the compression ring is weak open the engine and overhaul
Old 6th January 2010, 22:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me regarding post no.240
Old 6th January 2010, 22:19   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Samsag- I have experienced this before, infact i experienced oil on spark plugs within 300 kms of use. Reason being a full engine job as one may say was required well as the mechanic misjudged it for a half engine job. it implies only changing the piston rings and some valve job. The sleeve had not been changed. Fortunately got a full engine job done. change of piston rings, sleeves, engine bearings, gudgeon pins and other components. Yes most problem was solved apart from high oil pressure which can be set.
When did you got this job done and how much did it cost you?
Old 6th January 2010, 22:28   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody help me regarding post no.240
The idea behind the mod would perhaps be Cold Air Intake. Mehul would be the best person to answer your query.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 7th January 2010, 18:10   #246
BHPian

Quote:
When did you got this job done and how much did it cost you?
I had done this job in 2005, so quoting the rates then

Rs.2750 turners bill
Rs. 2000 approx for parts
Rs. 1800 for labour.

I ensured on using original and good quality parts, hence the cost may be marginally high.
Old 7th January 2010, 19:17   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
I had done this job in 2005, so quoting the rates then

Rs.2750 turners bill
Rs. 2000 approx for parts
Rs. 1800 for labour.

I ensured on using original and good quality parts, hence the cost may be marginally high.
Sir i got my car engine overhauled sometime back in 2007.As i didn't had
sufficient knowledge then, i left the whole job to my mechanic. I am attaching the pictures of the Invoice which mechanic gave me. Please have a look at it and post your views.
The 4th pic attached indicates the total amount calculated by the mechanic for whole job.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-scan0003.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-scan0004.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-scan0005.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-scan0006.jpg  

Old 7th January 2010, 19:39   #248
Senior - BHPian

Btw was looking for some papers and found the original file of S1 which had this document. Just thought it would be a good piece of original evidence so posted here.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-scan0007.jpg  

Old 7th January 2010, 19:43   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw was looking for some papers and found the original file of S1 which had this document. Just thought it would be a good piece of original evidence so posted here.
Thats a very good piece of information! Have never seen of S1's before
Old 7th January 2010, 20:13   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thats a very good piece of information! Have never seen of S1's before
It indeed is as nobody cared of newer S1 models because by that time many modern cars entered the Indian car market. This type of information is only considered by people like us who either have S1 model and love to take care of it or who are info seekers.
Btw I have all the papers of my PP S1 intact including the temporary registration paper, Invoice etc but incidentally lost the original RC.(I am sure it is somewhere in my house only) Had a duplicate made.
Also if you have any document you would like to share, please do.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:53   #251
Senior - BHPian

Recently my mechanic suggested me to get the original PP S1 carburetor changed as the older one had some problems related with PIN. I want to know what is a PIN in the carburetor, how does it look like.
It was changed just because that pin was not readily available in the market.The carburetor is of SOLEX Bicsa M32 make.
Old 9th January 2010, 23:40   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Recently my mechanic suggested me to get the original PP S1 carburetor changed as the older one had some problems related with PIN. I want to know what is a PIN in the carburetor, how does it look like.
It was changed just because that pin was not readily available in the market.The carburetor is of SOLEX Bicsa M32 make.
Dear Samsag- We can become the best of friends, because we have faced the same problems albeit in a different order.
Firstly regarding your engine overhaul, Have seen your invoice, your mechanic has seemed to have done a complete overhaul or full engine job. If he has truly done or not cant say. Depends on him and on your trust on him.
Now you can do the foll. things-
1) Do a compression check ? if the compression seems ok, then

2) Reduce the oil pressure from the lower chamber, it can be set by opening the lower chamber. Your mechanic would be knowing the procedure. The oil pressure has to be enough to have oil in the tappet area.

If still oil on plugs remain then, its a proof that work is not done properly.

There is still hope, please source for a second hand S1/premier padmini engine with no oil issues and plonk it in.

Regarding your carburettor What is the Pin your mechanic is stating ? Carburettor problem i too have faced it. Bicsa or vacuum type carb as mechanics call, is a fine but complex carburettor. Most often they cannot tune, hence say replace to other solex 'sadha carbeurettor'. You can change to them, but you would have to replace the linkages and please do not forget to replace the screw from the intake manifold with an air pipe, else your car will simply run rich, bad fuel efficiency and engine damage.

Please post photos of your car exterior and engine compartment.
Old 10th January 2010, 09:18   #253
Senior - BHPian

First of all thanks for considering my query.As you said my mechanic did a complete engine overhaul job and i used to trust him as he was maintaining my father's car for the last 40 yrs.(well we had owned quite a few PP including Fiat 1100D and president).But after the recent overhaul job done, i don't have full confidence in him as after the car returned from the overhaul work there were a lot of cosmetic as well as mechanical parts missing.One being the air filter. We ran the car for about 7 months without the air filter.
Anyways a long story, but as you pointed out some major things:
1. From where can i get the compression check job done.
2. Will surely follow up this step with my mechanic.
3. For what price can i get a used S1 engine. Also what measures should be taken in advance if i store the spare engine for a long time. Should it be dry.
4. Regarding the carburetor, the old original S1 carburetor was overflowing with petrol and my mechanic told that the pin is at fault. Even today i am not able to figure out as to which pin was he referring.I am attaching the pics of ORIGINAL PP S1 CARBURETOR for your reference.

BTW your PP S1 is of which year? Will soon post the pics of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-1.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-2.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-3.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-4.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-5.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-6.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 10:50   #254
BHPian

Quote:
One being the air filter. We ran the car for about 7 months without the air filter.
3. For what price can i get a used S1 engine. Also what measures should be taken in advance if i store the spare engine for a long time. Should it be dry.
4. Regarding the carburetor, the old original S1 carburetor was overflowing with petrol and my mechanic told that the pin is at fault. Even today i am not able to figure out as to which pin was he referring.I am attaching the pics of ORIGINAL PP S1 CARBURETOR for your reference.
I am from Lucknow and have a 73 president. I doubt if you will be able to find anybody to do a compression check for you in Lucknow. All you really need is a compression gauge to be able to perform the check. You could probably source the gauge and do it yourself.

The price for a used S1 engine depends on your bargaining skills. I know the place where they scrap cars in Lucknow and I procured the complete rear differential just last month for may car for about 1800 Rs. They buy the complete car for about Rs 15K so keep that in mind when you go engine hunting. Anything between 8-10K would be a good price IMO.

Running without the air filter is an absolute No. Please don't do that.

As for the "pin" - its likely that your mechanic was talking about the pin in the float chamber.

The engine's are broken apart before noon. Your best bet is to be there when a car is being scrapped (get there before 10am). Ask for the scrapyard in "Purania" and you'll find the place. I may have a phone number handy for one of the chaps there - I'll check and get back to you.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:46   #255
BHPian

Quote:
First of all thanks for considering my query.As you said my mechanic did a complete engine overhaul job and i used to trust him as he was maintaining my father's car for the last 40 yrs.(well we had owned quite a few PP including Fiat 1100D and president).But after the recent overhaul job done, i don't have full confidence in him as after the car returned from the overhaul work there were a lot of cosmetic as well as mechanical parts missing.One being the air filter. We ran the car for about 7 months without the air filter.

BTW your PP S1 is of which year? Will soon post the pics of my car.
The photographs of the carburetor you have posted is an original Solex Bicsa. Your mechanic may be referring to the float pin. Rare but if the problem lies there, simply pick up a Bicsa carburetor top (Carburetor top for normal Solex carb and Bicsa is different) from a scrapyard and install it with a new top packing. Before doing this please ensure that your plastic float mounts arent broken or the float itself isnt leaking.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks