Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 14:17   #931
BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
In final analysis, the mark 1 was the best, the Nova, the worst
Says a lot about the workmanship as well, doesn't it, apart from the obvious lack of quality spares during the govt controlled license era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
... My father had a 1967 Ambassador that we converted to diesel in 1991. ...

As far as I know, the BMC engine was not available separately. Both the conversions were endorsed in the RC book.
Thanks pramodpk for the detailed ownership account of the ambys in your family! Would be brilliant if you can upload some pics of those ambys.

1. By the way, what was the FE of the OHV petrol amby motor? I have heard the mark 1/2 motors were super smooth and silent.
2. Were these motors good enough for AC to function or was there a significant loss of power when AC was used?
3. Does Kerala govt/RTO allow such petrol to diesel amby conversions even today? I hear different versions on this.

Last edited by WindRide : 11th September 2013 at 14:18.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 14:54   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Says a lot about the workmanship as well, doesn't it, apart from the obvious lack of quality spares during the govt controlled license era.
3. Does Kerala govt/RTO allow such petrol to diesel amby conversions even today? I hear different versions on this.
There were quality spares even in that period but were expensive.
The fuel conversion is not allowed since 2005 in Kerala.I think it is the same elsewhere in INDIA also.
ajay99 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 15:31   #933
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
There were quality spares even in that period but were expensive.
The fuel conversion is not allowed since 2005 in Kerala.I think it is the same elsewhere in INDIA also.
Petrol to Petrol and Diesel to Diesel conversions are allowed now. But the new engine should be a brand new one which is the OE engine from the same manufacturer ie., we can convert our amby only to Isuzu Petrol/Isuzu diesel/HM plus or any such engine that is manufactured by HM for Amby's. Other engines like for example a ford or toyota cannot be endorsed even if converted.

BTW, prices for a brand new Isuzu petrol is Rs. 1.5L and Diesel is 2.25L with gearbox.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 15:42   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks pramodpk for the detailed ownership account of the ambys in your family! Would be brilliant if you can upload some pics of those ambys.

1. By the way, what was the FE of the OHV petrol amby motor? I have heard the mark 1/2 motors were super smooth and silent.
2. Were these motors good enough for AC to function or was there a significant loss of power when AC was used?
The petrol ambassador used to give a mileage of 9 - 10 KM/L.

The matador engine could handle the AC well. There was no significant drop of power (like we experience in Maruti 800 or Alto 800). The BMC engine used to give a mileage of 14 - 15 KM/L. We have consistently got 16 KM/L for the matador engine without AC.

We had experience with 2 matador engines in 2 cars and I would say that the BMC engine was trouble free. The Matador had fuel pump issues. While one matador served us for 1.5 Lakh KMS until we sold the car, the other one (fitted on the Nova) seized at 90K KMs and the engine block had to be changed (there were cracks/gaps in the block when they tried to re-bore the engine).

I am not sure whether diesel conversions are allowed now but in early nineties it was very popular in Kerala. There were specialized workshops who would do only this.

Unfortunately I don't have digitized pictures of these cars. Have pictures in some old albums at home

Last edited by pramodpk : 11th September 2013 at 15:43.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 16:00   #935
BHPian

Quote:
....The matador engine could handle the AC well. There was no significant drop of power ...
Oh, i was asking about effect of AC with the OHV BMC petrol motor.
Sorry i should have made myself clearer.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:07   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, i was asking about effect of AC with the OHV BMC petrol motor.
Sorry i should have made myself clearer.
I do not have first hand information on this but people used to fit AC in the OHV petrol motor. Also, in late 1996 factory fitted AC was available with the 1.5 Litre BMC diesel. I have traveled in such a car.

Last edited by pramodpk : 11th September 2013 at 16:09.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 16:18   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Petrol to Petrol and Diesel to Diesel conversions are allowed now. But the new engine should be a brand new one which is the OE engine from the same manufacturer ie., we can convert our amby only to Isuzu Petrol/Isuzu diesel/HM plus or any such engine that is manufactured by HM for Amby's. Other engines like for example a ford or toyota cannot be endorsed even if converted.

BTW, prices for a brand new Isuzu petrol is Rs. 1.5L and Diesel is 2.25L with gearbox.
That is what I have said in the previous post.Type of FUEL cannot be changed.You cannot convert an Ambassador isuzu petrol to diesel and vice versa
ajay99 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 22:47   #938
Distinguished - BHPian

Ambassador in Sri Lanka

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-srilankan-amby.jpg

(picture from google images posted by Mr Manoj Kumar, in the Ambassador and Landmaster Fans Aficionados and Owners Club FB Page)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 22:49   #939
Distinguished - BHPian

A lovely link with details about the 1476 cc side valve engine, its technical specifications, maintenance, the SU carburettor. This engine powered the Morris Oxford MO Series (of U.K.) and also our HM cars from 1949 - 59

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ris_oxford.htm
Old 15th September 2013, 23:17   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Nova had the meter clusters in the centre itself. We had a Nova in the family and hence I know this. Also Nova had only 1 glove box instead of 2 in older Ambassador. Nova also had a different pedal layout. The brake pedal was suspended type. The brake fluid reservoir shifted to the hood instead of under the floor. The suspension was different and featured anti roll bar.
As far as I know, the BMC engine was not available separately. Both the conversions were endorsed in the RC book.
The single glove box configuration happened along with the introduction of the collapsible steering column and the brake pedal design changed when the new gen brake master cylinder was introduced positioned under the hood on the firewall. Earlier this was inside the half chassis below the floor pan on the driver's side.

Hm also started marketing the BMC diesel engine though much later which was also capable of powering the AC. I remember seeing this in the HM stall in the Cochin Auto Show which was organized regularly several years at the Rajeev Gandhi Indoor Stadium at Ernakulam.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 23:41   #941
BHPian

^ was the above car repainted. i remember seeing this car on TBHP in black. Its got a gypsy drivetrain (at least susepnsion) i think.
Old 20th September 2013, 04:01   #942
BHPian

Hi,

Can any one help me in getting the original air filter for a landmaster. My car is missing it.

Regards,
John
Old 21st September 2013, 18:58   #943
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a 1956 Landmaster (picture by Mr Rizwan Aziz Shah on FB of his car)

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-landmiii.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1956landmii.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1956landmiii.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1956landmiv.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:45   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Shri Rajiv Gandhi opens the front left door of an Ambassador, while Shri Arun Nehru is seated as a passenger on an Ambassador's front seat.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-page3-019.jpg

(India Today, January 15, 1987 photos)
Old 27th September 2013, 23:12   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ambassadors a 1962 Mark I and a 1986 Mark 4 posted by Rafiq Pattekari on FB Ambassador and Landmaster Fans Aficionados and Owners Club Page:

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mk-i.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mk4.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mk4mki.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks