Odometer reading less than 65000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1373962343_528681319_2.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 22:40   #872
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Gracious Madam Rekha, MP, arriving at the Parliament in an Ambassador

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-564180fb54e04ac592f3bc4311f296a1hires.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 00:31   #873
Senior - BHPian

Saw her for the first time. Some of the original stuff missing like glass beads and bumpers. BUT she had the original meter console, white gear knob and switches among others. Could not take pictures though.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-photo0111.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-photo0112.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-photo0115.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 13:57   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Mark I exported from Kerala, India to Sharjah and in use there.The pictures were found on FB posted by a FB friend.
I think the same car can be seen here

It was KLP registered.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 20:39   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

HM introduced the 1.5 L BMC diesel engine (1489 cc OHV) for Ambassadors sometime in 1979. The cars would be fuelled with subsidised diesel and the government policy then did not allow private individuals to buy diesel Ambassadors.
It could be bought only as a taxi or in some cases purchased for government use. Many buyers would register the car as a taxi and run it for private use as a tourist taxi.
The Maharashtra Government did not allow even petrol powered cars to be converted to diesel.
Interestingly, the BMC introduced a 1.5 L diesel, for the Morris Oxford Series VI in 1961 for the world markets. The Oxford Series VI Diesel was quite popular as taxis in the U.K.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-morris14large.jpg

It is quite likely that HM had bought the rights to manufacture this particular 1.5 L diesel for the Ambassador in the mid 1970's , when the petrol prices were reaching for the stratosphere.
HM still proudly proclaims its BMC connection and talks about the "1.5 L BMC engine." This engine is now to become BS IV complaint.
Incidentally, the largest numbers of Ambassadors sales today are of those fitted with the 1.5 L engine.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th August 2013 at 20:40.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 10:10   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many buyers would register the car as a taxi and run it for private use as a tourist taxi.
The Maharashtra Government did not allow even petrol powered cars to be converted to diesel.
Yes, I remember an uncle of mine had bought a diesel Padmini, and used it with the 'T' stickers as it was not allowed as civilian vehicle.

Quote:
This engine is now to become BS IV complaint.
Incidentally, the largest numbers of Ambassadors sales today are of those fitted with the 1.5 L engine.
Isn't the diesel engine currently used also an Isuzu engine (along with the petrol)? Forgive my ignorance, I have probably never bothered to see a modern Amby up close
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 14:10   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yes, I remember an uncle of mine had bought a diesel Padmini, and used it with the 'T' stickers as it was not allowed as civilian vehicle.
Isn't the diesel engine currently used also an Isuzu engine (along with the petrol)? Forgive my ignorance, I have probably never bothered to see a modern Amby up close
The 1500cc engine is a BMC diesel engine while the ISUZU engine is 1.8litre petrol and 2 litre diesel(correct me if wrong)
Old 14th August 2013, 14:59   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HM introduced the 1.5 L BMC diesel engine (1489 cc OHV) for Ambassadors sometime in 1979.
Diesel Ambassador was introduced in 1977-78. Petrol prices had shot up after the 1973 oil crisis. The diesel Matador and diesel Mahindra jeep were also introduced around 1977.

Quote:
It is quite likely that HM had bought the rights to manufacture this particular 1.5 L diesel for the Ambassador in the mid 1970's , when the petrol prices were reaching for the stratosphere.
HM still proudly proclaims its BMC connection and talks about the "1.5 L BMC engine."
I had always believed that the so-called BMC 1.5 L was merely the diesel derivative of Ambassador's original petrol engine, in view of the identical cubic capacity (1489 CC) and bore (73MM) and stroke (88.9 MM) dimensions. The petrol version developed 50 BHP @ 4250 RPM while the diesel developed 40 BHP @ 4000 RPM. I was under the impression that HM had done the conversion to diesel on its own but now it seems that that was perhaps not the case. The 1.5 L diesel Ambassador was so under-powered, it barely crossed 70 KMPH. Therefore many people preferred to use the Matador engine while dieselising their Ambys.

BMC 1.5L's workshop manual can be downloaded from here:
http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/...hop-manual.pdf

Last edited by directinjection : 14th August 2013 at 15:00.
directinjection is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 15:35   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HM introduced the 1.5 L BMC diesel engine (1489 cc OHV) for Ambassadors sometime in 1979. The cars would be fuelled with subsidised diesel and the government policy then did not allow private individuals to buy diesel Ambassadors.
It could be bought only as a taxi or in some cases purchased for government use. Many buyers would register the car as a taxi and run it for private use as a tourist taxi.
There was another reason as well for this - the Central Exicise duty payable on the Diesel Amby was lesser (as a transport vehicle).

In Kerala SOP was as follows:
  • Buy a diesel Amby - as Anjan said on Taxi quota.
  • Make payment in full to the dealer.
  • Apply for a Tourist Taxi permit to the RTO, ensuring that the adress where the vehicle is to be garaged or the owner did not have a telephone connection (remember until late 1980s "telephone connection" was a like a mini lottery)
  • RTO is bound to reject the application as the Tourist Taxi rules stipulated that the vehicle should be available on telephone call, as tourist taxis were not allowed to be parked at a common meter taxi stand - then
  • Based on the RTO rejection file an application for excemption to the Excise/ST authorities - who will then ask for balance Excise duty tobe money to be paid to bring the duty amount to be in par with the prevailing rate for private cars, and give permission for the car to be registered as a private car.
So in about 2 to 4 moths time - you have a "new diesel car" on road

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 19:56   #880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True Karl, these used to compulsorily bear the red "T" letter encirled in a red painted circle. Also as friends have said, these were to be officially engaged as tourist taxis, but many people used these for their private purposes.

Quote:
The Ambassador comes with two diesel engine options:

(1) The 1500 DSL which is the old proven BMC diesel (most commonly sold and seen)

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscn0045.jpg

(my picture)

(2) The 2000 DSL- this is the Isuzu diesel engine

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-2000dsl.jpg

(Automotive India website)

Whereas, for petrol, it is only the 1800 ISZ (Isuzu engine) that is available.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th August 2013 at 20:00.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 18:43   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1975 Mark 3 Ambassador. The last picture shows its engine bay and the Jalwa make, double horn (OE) that came with all the older Ambassadors.The famed Jalwa make, double horn was very characteristic of the older Ambassadors. In fact, an Ambassador coming could be identified with this signature horn.
When the batteries drained, (these had Lucas dynamos and not alternators), some mechanics would blame the Jalwa horns for being energy guzzlers.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-010.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-005.jpg

Note that for the Mark 3 and later the tail light assembly still had the provision to fit two lenses as in older Ambassadors. But the changeover from Mark 3 onwards, gave the car a single lens cover for the tail light.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-016.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-018.jpg

The red coloured Jalwa double horns

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-019.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-682013-020.jpg

Above: The cut out is Lucas, Madras and not the older Lucas "Made in England"

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th August 2013 at 12:01.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 19:59   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

A galaxy of Ambassadors for an I- Day event - 2013

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-i-day-event-2013.jpg

(Sharing Renjith Bhai's picture)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 23:06   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 1973 Mark 3 Ambassador. The last picture shows its engine bay and the Jalwa make, double horn (OE) that came with all the older Ambassadors.The famed Jalwa make, double horn was very characteristic of the older Ambassadors. In fact, an Ambassador coming could be identified with this signature horn.
Anjanji, I am afraid it is not. Jalwa horns were after market add on fitments, as the OE horns were very very bad. And Jalwa was the preferred after market horns for Ambassadors then, as it was cheaper compared to Bosch which were mounted outside atop the bumper.

The location of the horn in the picture is proof of it. OE horns were fitted on either side behind the grill by the side of the radiator. In two of the pictures some other horns were seen which were also not OE.
There used to be a widely circulated joke on those days about Ambys; everything makes noise except the horn.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th August 2013 at 23:10.
Old 16th August 2013, 23:56   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A galaxy of Ambassadors for an I- Day event - 2013

(Sharing Renjith Bhai's picture)
WOW!!! It took some time to digest. More pictures please.

BTW, there is a low light MM in between. The second car from right (Landmaster) has the wipers in opposite direction.
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 00:04   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
The second car from right (Landmaster) has the wipers in opposite direction.
That doesn't seem to be a Landmaster. Check the bonnet, headlights and driver side window which has no quarter glass. It's a Fiat.

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks